Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by juanrogera View Post
    Thanks for that. Explanation makes sense.
    This is a theory propagated by Lou Dawson of Wild Snow fame. Where many of us tour, the sun doesn't come out for months in the winter, and when it does the temperature is well above freezing, so black is just another color for topsheets.

None of the skis look super appealing to me, though I wouldn't mind at least trying the Forma. Considering playing around on a snowboard a bit this season when some bad skier friends are in town and might try the Nexus board just to see what the experience (+ service) is like.

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    The tail looks solid on the forma. I consider myself as someone that likes a low key more simplistic graphic that stands time - his approach misses the mark for me. That satin black will probably scratch up super easy and drag the clean look down. Plus full black on a ski some will want for touring seems like an oversight or disregard. Doesn’t bother me a ton but I’m always reading how mags dislike the dark hot colors for the snow collection.. wish the Co the best
    I agree, it doesn't make me think "simple/luxury", it makes me think "prototype waiting for a topsheet to be designed."

The swallowtail looks interesting. The other 2 skis kinda look like meh shapes that every single ski mfg (Line included) have been making for years. Too bad there's not more info on the construction or more than artsyfartsy photos of the ski. How about a 15 minute video per ski with Eric talking about the construction, shape, factory, etc etc etc? Tell us why we should care, beyond a bunch of hipster art photos.

Seems like a lifestyle brand to me at this point. Which is fine.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    If they are gonna do gender-inclusive sizing options, perhaps they should've considered offering a greater range of lengths. In limiting the sizes, they are, in a way, making their skis less gender-inclusive. I really don't understand this. The skis look sick and I'd love to give them a try but I simply require a longer ski.
    Maybe its just a first year company trying to get some skis built in a year where production of skis was already strained globally (before a factory suffered a massive fire) and then sell some skis by making them unique but also fit in the center mass of the bell curve for their perspective models and next season will include some longer and shorter and more in-between lengths but also nothing over 190 as of now because all 65 people in the world who buy 190+ skis these days post in this kook infested forum?

/run on sentence

but it's a small company and has a shorter flash to bang cycle than most companies. While most others have already locked in 21/22 product at this point and they might be willing to entertain some feedback...

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    This is a theory propagated by Lou Dawson of Wild Snow fame. Where many of us tour, the sun doesn't come out for months in the winter, and when it does the temperature is well above freezing, so black is just another color for topsheets.
    We tour on a lot of sunny days around Tahoe and it's 100% true, at least around here (snow moisture could be a factor as well). I tour on a lot of different setups and the the lighter ones definitely have less snow sticking to them. I've also had some top sheets that had both black and white and the snow would be sticking to all of the black parts of the design and not at all on the white.

Yellow / light orange is a good color because it has the same effect but you can also find it buried in some snow much easier than white.

I’m seeing the (lack of) graphics as a cool blank slate for EP or other guest artists to draw some one of a kind wonders. Maybe the supercharged version of the J ski model?

many of Pollard's Line ski's had only one size because he designs them for himself (height/weight/build/style wise) and tests them himself.
    fortunately im about the same height and build as he, so its as if the skis are designed specifically for me.

seems probably like the type of guy to refuse to play into the whole compensating for small penis by getting big skis game. however i have to admit that some of you freaks are so tall and big and muscly, especially those viking nords, that you need big skis, and thus you probably miss out as a result.

scaling up or down a ski is probably a lot more complicated than just stretching something in photoshop. it would be better to just not have the option, than to produce a shit ski and hurt your companies reputation.

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    We tour on a lot of sunny days around Tahoe and it's 100% true, at least around here (snow moisture could be a factor as well). I tour on a lot of different setups and the the lighter ones definitely have less snow sticking to them. I've also had some top sheets that had both black and white and the snow would be sticking to all of the black parts of the design and not at all on the white.

Yellow / light orange is a good color because it has the same effect but you can also find it buried in some snow much easier than white.
    we're completely off topic,
    but yeah ive seen it too. tho its not consistent, some black artwork is ok. i think it depends on the core material beneath and how thick the top sheet is.
    i spray my black ski's top sheet with wd40 and use a paper towel to spread it around real thin so that you cant feel it anymore (otherwise it feels yucky oily). lasts about 20-30 days of touring.
    agree on the yellow too. my white skis with white bases are sometimes impossible to find after a hidden log surprise eject. hint, resqski.com / thepisteoffice.com/index.php/the-piste-office-store/resqski-ski-finder.html, i swear by it.

New Pollard Ski Company - Season Eqpt.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    but also nothing over 190 as of now because all 65 people in the world who buy 190+ skis these days post in this kook infested forum? ...
    This^

I’ve stood in the Whistler Creekside gondie line on a Sat morning for 45 min...my stocky 5’7” (170cm) frame holding my 183cm skis and some days I have the tallest skis around? Yea a few dudes with bigger skis....but most people seem to have skis at their head height or lower. Pretty big sample size as it’s a frickin’ long line...hoping shorter this year.

Back on topic. I’ve skied/owned Pollard's EP Pros, Bacons, regular Opuses, Magnum Opuses, Pescados...really liked em all.

Looking forward to Season. The Forma looks nice. Rec mount is -7.8cm.....but looks like a few mount options noted on the ski?

Name:  IMG_8346 (1).jpg
Views: 2250
Size:  186.4 KB
    Last edited by kc_7777; 02-08-2023 at 07:31 AM.

Now skiers and boarders can debate on who has the better forma.

Perhaps it is an intentional snub against toxic masculinity. Men tromping around with their long planks, showing off like it's a status symbol with their chests puffed out. Let me guess, you man-spread while sitting? Perhaps this gender-inclusive brand is for soy-boys and tenderfoots like myself who used to dream of ripping 190's, but have since found our place as beta-males slashing on 170's.
    No, it is just the fact that I am 240-something and prefer a longer ski as a result.
    swing your fucking sword.

Is s/he making, or designing? Making/fabricating is a whole 'nother skillset. I'll be interested to learn if this new company is pressing their own boards and skis, or if they are outsourcing like many young/boutique brands would opt for.
    Based on a little research the skis are apparently built for them by AMER in AMER's Austrian plant.

Quote Originally Posted by Quandary View Post
    Based on a little research the skis are apparently built for them by AMER in AMER's Austrian plant.
    Where did you see that?

Where did you see that?
    From an interview on Newschoolers:
    https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...nal%20products.

Where are the skis being made?
    ANDY: Skis are made in Austria, at Amer. Snowboards are in Dubai at SWS. Both are world-class manufacturing partners that let us achieve the best final products. Eric and Austin have full product control and then we lean on the expertise of the factory to execute all the details. It’s a great combination.
    swing your fucking sword.

Quote Originally Posted by stealurface831 View Post
    From an interview on Newschoolers:
    https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...nal%20products.

Where are the skis being made?
    ANDY: Skis are made in Austria, at Amer. Snowboards are in Dubai at SWS. Both are world-class manufacturing partners that let us achieve the best final products. Eric and Austin have full product control and then we lean on the expertise of the factory to execute all the details. It’s a great combination.
    Good choice. The Amer factory in Austria is in Altenmarkt in a huge complex off the A-10 with a giant Atomic sign in the front. They happen to make skis for Salomon, Armada, and Black Crows as well.

Those are both good choices. Amer and Elan make really good skis for tons of smaller brands. SWS too.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    SWS too.
    Don't know much about the Solico factory in Dubai, but the Arbor boards look great.

The SWS factory also makes Jones Snowboards' snowboards (snicker). I have been much more impressed with the build quality of my last two Jones splits than my last five Mervin boards (two splits, three regular).

First samples of the Aero and Nexus (no Forma yet) are upstairs at the evo Seattle store now . . .

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    The SWS factory also makes Jones Snowboards' snowboards (snicker). I have been much more impressed with the build quality of my last two Jones splits than my last five Mervin boards (two splits, three regular).
    Cool. Good to hear that.

Forma has me intrigued. Interesting that they are quite a bit heavier than the Pescados at a narrower width. 2200 g per ski in the 183, pretty sure the Pescado was somewhere around 1900. Looking forward to hearing how they ski.

Quote Originally Posted by dub2 View Post
    Forma has me intrigued. Interesting that they are quite a bit heavier than the Pescados at a narrower width. 2200 g per ski in the 183, pretty sure the Pescado was somewhere around 1900. Looking forward to hearing how they ski.
    My Pescado are just under 1800 ea

Skis look good. Atomic quality is top-rate, full sandwich construction looks kinda "indie" - sidewall material is the color of wood, but pretty sure it's plastic. Topsheets are all matte black with a tiny stripe of faded blue-white-red at the tail and sidewall. Hard to see the details, but they are embossed into the topsheet at the tail, and the model name is engraved in the sidewall of one ski. 180 Aero = 1864 grams (metal is only underfoot), 183 Nexus = 2056 grams.

Personally I like the esthetic, along with the stated emphasis on sustainability and multi-season validity. We've been telling people Eric draws secret doodles under the topsheet of each ski . . .

Spent the latter half of opening day at Crystal on the Forma 183. Outside of the swallowtail and wide tip, it's nothing like the Pescado - suprisingly, the ski I felt it resembled most in my collection was the 186 Blizzard OG Bodacious. At 2200 grams per (Pescado is 1800) and a narrower waist (118mm), the Forma is for the hard charger powder maniac, who likes to point it and hold on. I didn't really get the ski for the first few turns - it felt tip-heavy and ponderous - then I opened it up and pointed them and the skis came to life (I wasn't really skiing slowly in the AM on my 188 Rustler 11's, either). Edge hold for those pesky hard frozen base layers 2 inches under is very good, and the overall mass of the ski helps keep deflection from hitting frozen chunks to a minimum. I've added the Forma to the quiver for at least this season, and hoping for the snow to keep falling to see how they do in more than 4-5 inches of fresh.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	forma_tip.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	433.3 KB 
ID:	348703

Name:	forma_tail.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	543.2 KB 
ID:	348704

Spent the latter half of opening day at Crystal on the Forma 183. Outside of the swallowtail and wide tip, it's nothing like the Pescado - suprisingly, the ski I felt it resembled most in my collection was the 186 Blizzard OG Bodacious. At 2200 grams per (Pescado is 1800) and a narrower waist (118mm), the Forma is for the hard charger powder maniac, who likes to point it and hold on. I didn't really get the ski for the first few turns - it felt tip-heavy and ponderous - then I opened it up and pointed them and the skis came to life (I wasn't really skiing slowly in the AM on my 188 Rustler 11's, either). Edge hold for those pesky hard frozen base layers 2 inches under is very good, and the overall mass of the ski helps keep deflection from hitting frozen chunks to a minimum. I've added the Forma to the quiver for at least this season, and hoping for the snow to keep falling to see how they do in more than 4-5 inches of fresh.

Name:	forma_tip.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	433.3 KB 
ID:	348703

Name:	forma_tail.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	543.2 KB 
ID:	348704
    I wasn't even that interested in these, but after reading this, damn, I need to get on a pair!