Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post

I had a pair of xt140's that skied like shit in comparison.
    I really didn’t want to hear this...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SeatownSlackey View Post
    Only carpet skied thus far but Yuuuge improvement in walking mechanism for both ROM and friction for touring. I’m more excited about the downhill oriented improvements like rebound from the new PU clog and the walk mode is definitely more locked in so you have backseat support if you find yourself there
    Attachment 342006
    Those are looking hot! After 3yrs on my Cochise 130, I'm looking for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by AZskibum View Post
    Anyone else giving the 2021 Lange XT3 140 a go this season? This will be my first hybrid boot. Curious to hear what peeps think.
    I am giving them a try. Does anyone know where I can get a set of the optional alpine soles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got a pair of them myself. Pretty excited -- we'll see how they ski. Walk mode seems pretty nice on the carpet, especially with pro tour liners (from another boot). I'm coming from a Vulcan for touring and a plug boot for inbounds. So it'll be interesting to see if I can get used to the XT3 inbounds.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

I have a xt3 130 coming. I hope I didn’t make a mistake by not getting the 140. I am putting a pro tour wrap in them but I guess we will see.

The xt3 140 has grilamid added, so it wont be as damp/traditional feeling as the new xt3 130?

Is that right?

I didn’t see it on the specs when I looked at the shell comparison. The only thing I saw different was the strap and possibly something about the spoiler. I have no idea though. I’ve been tossing around the idea of an rs130 anyway.

I skied a couple runs on the 130 last winter. Big improvement on the XT Free, but I’ll still keep my RS 130s for resort days I don’t see myself walking anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mr_pretzel View Post
    The xt3 140 has grilamid added, so it wont be as damp/traditional feeling as the new xt3 130?

Is that right?
    re 130 vs 140:
    Quote Originally Posted by Luke Koppa from Blister in the comment section of their XT3 130 preview
    When we first posted this First Look, Lange said the XT3 140 was going to use a dual-core lower shell with a mix of PU and Grilamid, hence the comments above. But then this summer, Lange told us that they had decided to just do a PU lower shell for the 140 because they wouldn’t be able to recycle a mixed-plastic shell of PU / Grilamid and the improved skiing performance of full-PU offset any weight savings of Grilamid, so we updated the specs here.

So, for the production versions available this season, Neither the XT3 140 nor the XT3 130 use Grilamid — both of them feature Lange’s “dual-core” Polyurethane lower shell and a Polypropylene upper cuff.

Just talked to Lange’s NA Marketing Director and he re-confirmed that the 140 does not use Grilamid. While I obviously don’t have a way to test that, I trust him, and I suspect the update just hasn’t been effectively communicated throughout the brand.
    I am very keen to try a pair of 130s or 140s with Cast this coming winter - I did not like Hawx XTD 130s with beefier liners + Cast, but am tempted to give Cast a go with beefier boots that are not as cold as my now retired RC4s. I just need to see if I can find the funds for them somewhere - xt3s are pretty pricy

Not sure how much weight it holds, but my bootfitter (Larry in Boulder) also confirmed that the XT3 140 does not use Grilamid.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by kid-kapow View Post
    re 130 vs 140:

I am very keen to try a pair of 130s or 140s with Cast this coming winter - I did not like Hawx XTD 130s with beefier liners + Cast, but am tempted to give Cast a go with beefier boots that are not as cold as my now retired RC4s. I just need to see if I can find the funds for them somewhere - xt3s are pretty pricy
    What was your prob with the Hawx XTD 130s + Cast? Been thinking about adding those to a 2100g ski and was not anticipating any issues.

no problem as such - just personal preference + a smidge of over thinking more likely than not

I found the combination of a heavy ski +heavy binding + what is a relatively light weight boot to feel a bit imbalanced. The RC4 + cast combo felt more balanced, but the RC4s are too damned cold for me so I gave up on them.

I am very fond of heavy skis, shifts (and tectons and/or vipecs too) and XTD 130s though, so my thinking is that Cast + a heavier boot will work better for me as a full on charging FOMO setup. I am a smaller guy though at 175cm/66kg w/o gear - so no clyde.

I've seen other users praise the regular weight ski + cast + xtd combo though, so I would just surge on ahead if that is the combo you are wanting to go for - I am probably the outlier here.

I didn’t like the XTD in the flex. Felt soft and then like hitting a wall. It was all or nothing. And the cuff felt short. The Kore felt short as well and the flex also felt softer then the xt3. I also like all the metal hinge pieces and parts for walk mode as opposed to the plastic from head and atomic.

Sick! I’m glad they did that, now I can get 140s and not think about it

I got the grilamid part from the catalog btw

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    I didn’t like the XTD in the flex. Felt soft and then like hitting a wall. It was all or nothing. And the cuff felt short.
    hm, I can't say that I've found the same.

I have somewhere in the 150-200 day range between my two pairs of XTD 130s, most of them in resorts. To be fair, 99.9% of the time I have been using them with either Intuition ProTour liners or XTD 120 liners, so that could make them feel a bit different - as would my lower weight self. I've also had a pair of ProTongue liners ready to be installed, but I have yet to feel the need to use them. That is, they build so much that they would probably warp the shell a bit, and with how well the 120 liners ski I have yet to take the plunge.

I've also installed Booster straps - an upgrade that made so big a difference that it makes me seriously question why Atomic do not just spec them in the first place, added cost or no.

So all in all I must admit to being extremely pleased with how XTD 130s ski and tour. They are great boots imho.

The urge to try xt3s 130s or 140s is more out of curiosity than anything else. I am very keen to try a pair of wren114s w/shifts and XTDs back to back with a second pair of wren114s w/pivots and xt3s to better understand how/if the binding and heavier boots would cause a ski to ski differently. The project is a bit silly I know, but oh well

I love the XTD

Considering the prime xtd, I'd mainly be using in resort,with the occasional tour/ sidecountry. Wondering if I should get something beefier.

How do the xtd family hold up compared to a full alpine boot?

Quote Originally Posted by AintEZbeingSteezy View Post
    Considering the prime xtd, I'd mainly be using in resort,with the occasional tour/ sidecountry. Wondering if I should get something beefier.

They are a (relatively) light weight touring boot, not a resort boot. Get an alpine boot for resort. If you must have a walk mode (must you for those occasional laps?), get something like a cochise, Lupo, K2 mindbender or Lange XT3.

Quote Originally Posted by AintEZbeingSteezy View Post

I think you will find that the 20/21 collection of Hawx Ultra XTD and Hawx Prime XTD boots will be totally durable & powerful enough for daily driver, resort use. None of the models use a light weight, touring-focused liner this year - the 130s now have "alpine" constructed liners with Mimic technology. That means they fit & ski just like a regular Hawx Ultra or Hawx Prime in that regard.

As for plastics, both 130s are made from Grilamid, in the cuff and the shell. The type of Grilamid we use (and there are different kinds) is just as durable as PU, with a progressive flex that has a more energetic feel. I think if you do side by side testing with a boot that uses a PU shell and a PP or Polyolefin cuff, the level of damping & shock absorption is very, very similar.

Another XTD question: how do the Mimic liners compare to the liners from 18-19 XTD 120's? Those liners ski well but limit range of motion. I tried to squeeze in Pro Tours but I have a snug fit and the velcro on top of the foot creates a pressure point.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

Will it be possible to purchase Mimic liners separately? I'm wondering if these might be actual contenders to Pro tours..

Quote Originally Posted by onenerdykid View Post
    The type of Grilamid we use (and there are different kinds) is just as durable as PU, with a progressive flex that has a more energetic feel.
    Like onenerdykid says, the Grilamid formula that Atomic uses in the XTD boots is very tough, still going strong after many days of use in alpine bindings. Grilamid boots from other companies in my quiver have suffered from significant damage to toe and heel after less days.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Another XTD question: how do the Mimic liners compare to the liners from 18-19 XTD 120's? Those liners ski well but limit range of motion. I tried to squeeze in Pro Tours but I have a snug fit and the velcro on top of the foot creates a pressure point.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrgha View Post
    Will it be possible to purchase Mimic liners separately? I'm wondering if these might be actual contenders to Pro tours..
    The 20/21 Mimic liners will tour slightly better than XTD 120 liners from 18/19 but their main benefit will be their fully moldable heel, ankle, instep, shin, and calf areas. These liners are available aftermarket but I can imagine that quantities are going to be stressed given all things Covid this year. I wouldn't expect their to be much in the way of extra stock in the second half of the season.

Went to shop just yesterday to check out new ULTRA XTD 130. Mimic liner is very impressive. I think at least twice beefier than previous ultra xtd 130 liner. However, I felt like ROM is still same. In previous versions I always had pressure points in the areas that can not be molded. With this liner everything is awesome. My next boot for sure

I cut the little pull tab off the velcro part, and moved the tongue back a little bit which helped. MV Pro Tour in the older black/orange XTD 130.