Page 153 of 275 FirstFirst ... 148 149 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 ... LastLast
Results 3,801 to 3,825 of 6863
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    bring java beans and that im fuckin stoked on skiing attitude you displayed at the make believe show
    that made a couple jaded locals smile and remember the im gonna ski on less than a foot of base days
    and ill be happy to help or lend ya jigs/tools

fuck yeah dude! i'm still waiting on my binders to show up (they're cheaper coming from Europe) and i def wanna put together enough tools so that i can do this on my own, it's about goddamn time. i love supporting local business with my mounting money, but this is a skill i need to develop on my own. i'll definitely hit you up when i'm ready to take a drill to my skis

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe
    How I find the center line:
    - Slidewright centering sticker -- put on a straight edge and laid on top.
    - Use a set of calipers underneath the ski, ends/jaws pointing up so it overlaps with centering sticker. Make sure color on each jaw matches (centering sticker changes color every mm).
    - Mark 4-5 spots along binding mount area using above.
    - Connect with a long straight edge.

Takes ~30 seconds per ski.

Other things I always do:

- Measure from tip or tail to mount location. Don't trust top sheets. Consistency is more important than precise location (within a couple mms) of where you want it.
    - Throw the binding on the template on the ski, line up holes. Softly place boot in location to ensure I'm close to fit.
    - Mount several alpine bindings before mounting tech bindings. Esp if you have heels w/o adjustment range.
    this is exactly the kinda shit i need, basic as it might be. thanks for humoring me. i know it's been covered ad nauseum in this thread but this helps a fuck ton.

this season i need to mount a pair of shifts for wifey and a pair of tech binders for me (they've got heel adjustment plates). i'll do my homework/test mounts a few times first before doing anything live.

A bag of beans for a mounting clinic from sfb? I would not say no to that gift horse.

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    A bag of beans for a mounting clinic from sfb? I would not say no to that gift horse.

oh dude no way, i know an amazing opportunity when i see one ). fucking stoked!!

i'll bring sfb way more than a bag of beans, make it worth his time. i just don't want to be a total passenger-jong here, so i gotta start putting together some shit for me to use on my own.

Doe laid it down but here's one last crumb... use the binding itself (clicked onto boot if tech) to make the last verification of correct hole placement before drilling.

I've caught template/printer/jig errors at this step before.

Xxxer says this every chance he gets, along with something about a wine cork

Drinking a full bodied red wine is acceptable replacement to beer while mounting skis. But only if they are Stocklis, Kastles, or Zais.

I can't think where else a wine cork would be involved.

For mounting tech bindings, this video gives a generic overview using a jig.

https://www.genuineguidegear.com/lif...ounting-201819

Alignment of toe/heel requires a good bit more accuracy with tech bindings. Leaving the toe slightly loose, then clipping the boot in once the heel is mounted, and then tightening toe is one way to do it. I've also seen multiple variations on this:

- drill just one hole for toe and loosely screw in. Mount heel, clip in, tighten toe screw, release boot, marker, drill, tighten remainder of the screws.
    - drill all the holes first, but just insert one screw for toe. Since most touring skis don't have metal, you're drilling a 3.5mm bit and inserting a 4.Xmm screw -- you've got a little bit of room to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I can't think where else a wine cork would be involved.
    Wait for it...

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Doe laid it down but here's one last crumb... use the binding itself (clicked onto boot if tech) to make the last verification of correct hole placement before drilling.

I've caught template/printer/jig errors at this step before.

Xxxer says this every chance he gets, along with something about a wine cork
    For pins or frame AT I mount the heel dead center, drill/ mount toe piece by ONE toe piece hole , clik the boot/binding down into ski mode and drill 1 more hole to fix the toe in place which should ensure the boot heel/end of frame is lined up with rear binding

I use a cork as a drill stop because ductape or drill collars will slip so I drill thru a cork and leave the depth of bit I want sticking out, if the bit slips no damage so its idiot proof, a cork is the right size but you could use a piece of wood

I'm pretty sure folks just drill all the holes and wonder wtf they have done, I go slow, for fixed heel i drink coffee not beer but if I am mounting tele i can get them holes drilled before I have got too drunk and becuz its tele it will either be better or worse
    Last edited by XXX-er; 09-26-2020 at 11:37 AM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    i use professional jigs, tools and bits made for mounting skis
    in a fast efficient professional manner
    aint non of it idiot proof though
    when mounting tele skis
    i puff tougher
    seems to help
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

i am no expert here having only mounted 2 myself, but i recommend the correct drill bit, a bit spendy but worth it imo

if i was banging out the mounts every day I would need to be good and to be fast to make money so I would want the right tools but to do a mount ever few years I just make do with regular tools

As Reformed pointed out the exchange & shipping to Canada is a killer, its 75 cnest on the dollar and the fine print on any site will tell you free shipping is always with-in the USA only

the only place to buy the ski mounting specific stuff is getting it shipped from the USA, the shipping/exchange is gona be > the stuff I order so it doesn't make $ sense to buy a 6 dollar stepped bit and pay 40$ shipping to use once every 3 years when a piece of wood can do the same thing

FWIW, slidewright shipping to canada can be cheaper but their site doesn't make it obvious. I continue to buy product from them and have often got $10 shipping (to Canada... for small items) but I can't remember if I need to ask for that or if it happens automatically after the order is placed... and only if my order fits in the correct size box.

I like the products and I'm happy to support a mag but this part of the business could use a little improvement.

Try contacting them if you're not sure.

Regarding the right tools... I bought a few key pieces early (like the right drill bit), and I've probably mounted for 40 or 50 pairs for me and friends and I'm glad I paid for the right equipment up front.

Jigs would never be worth it for me because I'm mounting all brands... YMMV.

Sent from my SM-A505W using Tapatalk
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

I saw an online store based in Canadia the other day that looked legit but now I can't remember it or find it.

smoke another one I guess
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Not gona argue with that ^^ idea

I seem to be buying a lot of used skis already mounted/ tax paid/ <40% of list price/ sometimes including skins so I seem to be doing even less mounts

I once got a pair of axo dually's for 39.95 ( canuckian MSRP 159$) which cost 112$ by the time I got them on my feets still a good price but

Or that Mag from San Fran who sent me a FREE pair of Dalbello Surge ( exact same boot i already own with powerwraps) after cheapest USPS and buying him a beer I sent him 60$

In general I try not to buy anything in the excited states

Just to add to the awesome posts for tgapp on mounting tips, if you find yourself mounting the same binding for the same bsl frequently (e.g., I have a bunch of skis with pivots), it is well worth your time to make a template out of plexiglass.

Just transfer the paper template onto a scrap of plexiglass (free at a hardware store), drill holes, and score a vertical and horizontal centerline. Test it on a 2x4 obviously!

After the initial setup, it is super easy to get perfect mounts. Plus it makes buying swiss hole skis so much easier because you can easily overlay the plexiglass and see what clearance you have and how far + / - centerline.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    Just to add to the awesome posts for tgapp on mounting tips, if you find yourself mounting the same binding for the same bsl frequently (e.g., I have a bunch of skis with pivots), it is well worth your time to make a template out of plexiglass.

Just transfer the paper template onto a scrap of plexiglass (free at a hardware store), drill holes, and score a vertical and horizontal centerline. Test it on a 2x4 obviously!

After the initial setup, it is super easy to get perfect mounts. Plus it makes buying swiss hole skis so much easier because you can easily overlay the plexiglass and see what clearance you have and how far + / - centerline.
    I think you posted something about this before but that is a killer idea, I've also thought about just getting a pivot jig. Anyone have one they want to sell me?

Looking for a paper template for Salomon S-10 rental / demo binding. Trying to help out a friend of my sons who bought them for her son. She does not have a lot of money, I am donating a pair of Blizzard Black Pearl's, she came up with the bindings. Actually a good choice as he will grow and has a younger son who can use them in a couple of years. The S-10 demos cannot be installed directly, have to go on the demo rails. Too bad they are demo's as I have JigaRex plates for the regular S 10. I have searched and did not come up with anything. I can freehand it if I have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Reformed View Post
    I agree 100% and had a cart full of odds and sods from Terry’s shop the other day. Shipping costs to Canada and our weak dollar forced me to reconsider. It’s hard to justify paying more for shipping than the purchase price of an order. Options for purchasing mounting tools etc in Canada are pretty limited though, so shops south of the border still end up getting business from me. If any of these businesses can figure out a cheaper/slower/whatever way to serve mags north of the border I’m sure lots of us would support them more than we currently do.
    Hi Kids. Hope you are safe and had a great summer and fall. The aspens are firing off, early snow and the biking and camping have been sweet.

Regarding Canadian (or any international) shipping, we have zero control over the USPS costs. Check out our shipping policies and procedures. If you let us know in your order notes or via your account and cart or wish list, we can tell you what 1st class shipping would cost vs international priority based on weight and destination. Priority seems to take around a week & 1/2 to 2 weeks and 1st class adds at least one week to that time frame. Sometimes more. Since covid restrictions have come in to play, time frames are more variable.

Glad you like the Centering Tool, Mike and the centering stickers are getting used.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

hey we or at least I are not dissing you cuz we need to pay high costs to have products shipped ... its out of your control

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    hey we or at least I are not dissing you cuz we need to pay high costs to have products shipped ... its out of your control
    Thanks & no worries, XXXer. I was just responding to the comments regarding the shipping set up we have in place. As an excellent Canadian resource for tuning & waxing tools & supplies, check out Tools4Boards in Calgary. I'm not sure Rick is set up with mounting tools & supplies, however, but I'll check.
    Best regards, Terry
    (Direct Contact is best vs PMs)

SlideWright.com
    Ski, Snowboard & Tools, Wax and Wares
    Repair, Waxing, Tuning, Mounting Tips & more
    Add TGR handle to notes & paste 5% TGR Discount code during checkout: 1121TGR

yeah thanx for that site link, its bookmarked, he has a ski mounting bit

At 29$ I will probably keep drinking my way to drill stoppage

https://www.tools4boards.com/shop/

that was the one I was looking at
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Bought some Woodsmans with a holes for Salomon Warden at my BSL. I've mounted a number of skis but haven't done inserts before and would rather not unless it's really the right solution. So, best approach is to reuse holes, move bindings back/forward 1-2 cm, or find another binding that will work around holes?

If your using the same binding, use the same holes and epoxy the screws in, drink a bevy and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Quote Originally Posted by prsboogie View Post
    If your using the same binding, use the same holes and epoxy the screws in, drink a bevy and call it a day.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Yup, just be extra careful about making sure you don’t cross-thread the holes and get a spinner. If you do get a spinner this thread is full of good tips for dealing with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mounted my own fucking skis today.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0574.JPG 
Views:	92 
Size:	432.4 KB 
ID:	342730

I used my carpenters square to X out some centerline dots on painters tape. Seemed to be pretty quick method as well as accurate (within .1mm with the calipers which is within my tolerances pencil in the centerline and the mount line and I’m ready for my “jig”.

Name:	IMG_0571.JPG 
Views:	96 
Size:	204.2 KB 
ID:	342735

I used a few scrap pieces of lexan to make a more durable template, basically scribed in a centerline then matched it up with the paper template and drilled the holes. Labeled everything including my 315 bsl position to make it a bit easier to mount up.

Name:	62380621141__781F6B29-C4EE-43B5-AF00-6FC8C62ADC77.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	342737

Lay it out, clamp it down, drill it up, done. No beverage due to sober October.

Name:	IMG_0573.JPG 
Views:	84 
Size:	177.7 KB 
ID:	342738