Page 17 of 40 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scandy89 View Post
    If I want to get a cast system to run two separate skis, I’d need inserts correct? I ordered the 2nd ski kit and toe pedestals (to save $$ and I’ll get the tech toes later) as far as I can tell the heel piece has to be permanently mounted to the ski, but you could swap the toe piece between skis. So you’d need either inserts or multiple sets of heels? Having a cast system an p18’s I could run on anything would be
    I’ve Heli coiled one pair of skis I have CAST 2.0 on. It was a pain in the ass. If you try this, before you load the holes with glue for the Heli coils, put the plate and the toe piece on the ski, then screw the T bolts in loosely through the toe piece holes and plate. Take one out at a time and add glue. I did this once then said never again.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The issue is that the toe screws have to be super straight for the toes to swap easily, right?

I've been planning to do one set with inserts, but haven't mounted them yet. I've got a steel block to use as a tap guide which should help. Am I doomed?

If you have someone do it with a vertical mill, you'll know the holes are perfectly positioned.

I've got access to a mill, I can do that part. Still need to get them tapped straight, and doing that on the mill seems sketchy.

Don’t see the benefit of the helicoil/inserts with the cast. Is there one? I have a cast set up and for the life of me don’t see the need.

In my case it's to use them as a travel ski with Cast, but a lighter tech binding to tour on most of the time

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    In my case it's to use them as a travel ski with Cast, but a lighter tech binding to tour on most of the time
    You just lost me

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by SirVicSmasher View Post
    You just lost me

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk
    Lol. Not a lot of skis I'd want to do that on, but I'm talking about a pair of Lotus 138s. Can't see myself wanting to ride them in the resort much, so they'll mostly get touring use at home but I'd like to have the option to throw the Cast setup I have anyway for other skis on them for the odd heli/cat ski trip.

right at the lights, straight on till night
    i'm in whistler and having issues finding a local shop that will mount cast.. willing to go as far as van to find a shop with experience mounting these proper.. any tips are much appreciated
    when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

Who have you asked?

Why can’t you just mount the pivots like normal and then switch out the toe pedestal yourself after? The holes are the same aren’t they?

Quote Originally Posted by phatboy64 View Post
    Why can’t you just mount the pivots like normal and then switch out the toe pedestal yourself after? The holes are the same aren’t they?
    This. Have them drill the Pivot-holes, mount them yourself.
    The risers are super easy to drill, just use the piece itself as jig, punch and drill

hey thanks for the responses.. i did ask fanatyk co first as a local pro posted that he got his done there last season but they refused to do it saying it was too easy to screw up and they would have to heli coil everything. comor whistler said they would drill the holes but not touch the bindings as it voids the warantee. i've never mounted a binding which is why i'm a bit sketched to do it myself especially given that it sounds like cast is a bit finicky to mount and easy to mess up.. thanks again

when everything in the world is at its darkest, it takes a big man to kick back and party.

Quote Originally Posted by stomp View Post
    hey thanks for the responses.. i did ask fanatyk co first as a local pro posted that he got his done there last season but they refused to do it saying it was too easy to screw up and they would have to heli coil everything. comor whistler said they would drill the holes but not touch the bindings as it voids the warantee. i've never mounted a binding which is why i'm a bit sketched to do it myself especially given that it sounds like cast is a bit finicky to mount and easy to mess up.. thanks again

Drilling the holes accurately and vertically is the hard part. Screwing the clamps on is easy, just make sure you have good positive pressure to set a good thread.

That's a bummer, I thought someone would be willing to do it. Maybe check with Evo village sports or escape route? I don't think any shop in the city would be any more willing to do it, you could call North Shore Ski & Board and ask.

I've only mounted one pair of CASTs and it didn't seem too bad to me (I've mounted pivots probably 50 times).

If you can't find anyone, I could help you if you want

If you get a shop to drill the holes, the holes will be straight. And, if you know the holes are straight, putting the T (shoulder) bolts in is fairly easy. I use the toe piece as a guide to make sure the T (shoulder) bolts go in straight. The toe piece is designed with channels for a screwdriver so you can install the bindings, it makes it very easy. I usually put each T (shoulder) bolt in a few turns, to make sure I get all 4 in, then screw each one in to where they are just not tight, then go back and check how tight each one to make sure I can slide the toe piece off and back on easily. Once they are set, I leave the toe piece on and let the glue/epoxy dry.

hey guys thanks again and thanks mr_pretzel for the suggestion to call evo as their backcountry shop in town has experience with cast and is cool to mount them (fyi for a normal $50 mount price if any other local mags are planning to go cast) cheers

Surpised there is hesitation on mounting these. I mean they are still safer than pretty much any tele mount.
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    I use the toe piece as a guide to make sure the T (shoulder) bolts go in straight. The toe piece is designed with channels for a screwdriver so you can install the bindings, it makes it very easy. I usually put each T (shoulder) bolt in a few turns, to make sure I get all 4 in, then screw each one in to where they are just not tight, then go back and check how tight each one to make sure I can slide the toe piece off and back on easily. Once they are set, I leave the toe piece on and let the glue/epoxy dry.
    Thanks for that description - I will try this for my next Cast mount. Seems less fiddly than having to adapt the mount after the fact.

Replacing the original toe pedestals with the CAST pieces undoubtedly kills Look's indemnification, can understand why a shop wouldn't want to touch them.

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Don’t see the benefit of the helicoil/inserts with the cast. Is there one? I have a cast set up and for the life of me don’t see the need.
    Second ski setup with one pair of bindings.
    A fucking show dog with fucking papers

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    lighter, more compact (air) travel quiver too. upto 3 sets in a double bag and the binders in checked luggage or backpack
    ​I am not in your hurry

Anybody checked in on the status of this year's preorders? I got an email saying the expected ship date had been bumped back to 10/15 due to a machine going down in their shop, but haven't heard anything since then.

I was told last week that they were shipping based on the date ordered. There are some folks on NS forum that say they are receiving their orders/getting email notifications that it shipped.

Nice. I ordered mid-July, hopefully that means mine will go out soon.