Page 129 of 165 FirstFirst ... 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 ... LastLast
Results 3,201 to 3,225 of 4118
    Can anyone confirm how the pass protection works on Epic passes next year? My understanding was if I purchase one and don't use it at all then it will be valid for the 21/22 season but looking at their website I don't see that exact wording. It seems to get a refund you would need to have some sort of excuse as to why you didn't use the pass if they do open any of the resorts. In my mind these resorts have been a total shitshow for years already without a bunch of covid related measures they might implement so I'm not really interested in dealing with resort skiing if the shitshow is going to get much worst.

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Wonder why there’s an IMBA quote in there. They have nothing to do with mtn biking.
    IMBA does love to suck Sierra club dick

What a perfect poop stop next to a high alpine lake

I did not read the details of vail corps purchase protection thing, but guessing they would give you credit towards the following years pass, highly doubt any refunds would ever be issued

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I complain as much as anyone about the crowded and abused trails, but it's still pretty amazing to be able to ride 22mi of singletrack up 4000' from my front door to this, then another 12 mi or so down 4000ft to the door of a bar.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15962279551600.jpeg 
Views:	94 
Size:	98.5 KB 
ID:	335942
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by duffski View Post
    Can anyone confirm how the pass protection works on Epic passes next year? My understanding was if I purchase one and don't use it at all then it will be valid for the 21/22 season but looking at their website I don't see that exact wording. It seems to get a refund you would need to have some sort of excuse as to why you didn't use the pass if they do open any of the resorts. In my mind these resorts have been a total shitshow for years already without a bunch of covid related measures they might implement so I'm not really interested in dealing with resort skiing if the shitshow is going to get much worst.
    I’d like a definitive answer to this as well.

The is no mention of a credit for next year. Only that you enroll I. Pass insurance and it covers for COVID resort closures and if you get COVID.

It does not look like the consumer gets to decide if they would like to defer based on how operations look come winter.

The Ikon, otoh, allows the consumer to decide to defer, as long as they do not use their pass, up until mid April.

We will likely miss out on KW this winter unless the epic passes actually do have more flexibility. Don’t want to take our chances and not be able to use our pass due to what ever restrictions the resorts put up

Ski areas not opening this winter?

Name:  tenor.gif
Views: 821
Size:  816.7 KB
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I'm sorry, Back to the curmudgeon jaded entitled local-is thread. Sorry.

vailcorp kinda has us on the hook this season. my boy and i only qualified for the 20% discount but my girls pass is like 70% off so we are gonna roll the dice and buy the discounted passes. vails initial press release stated that unused passes would be pushed to 2021/22 so hopefully they make good on it. i cant wait for winter this year more then ever. this summer has pushed me to my breaking point. as soon as my kids are done with high school, im going to spend summers away from this congested tourist shitshow.

Such a shitshow-less nirvana exists in a desirable place? I’ll book an Airbb there pronto.🤣

^^^it does.....but shall never be spoken of on the internet
    dare to dream

Quote Originally Posted by Powcruzer View Post
    Such a shitshow-less nirvana exists in a desirable place? I’ll book an Airbb there pronto.��
    Nonsense. Everybody knows you buy the house, evict the tenants and start your own airbnb.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Nonsense. Everybody knows you buy the house, evict the tenants and start your own airbnb.
    No kidding. The number of people posting on Tahoe FB groups right now saying they need to find somewhere to live because the owners want to sell in this crazy real estate market is sad. I thought there was supposed to be a moratorium on evictions?

Instead of banning STR’s, they should create a regulation where if you buy a home that was being occupied you either have to live in it (or use it as a second home) or you can’t do short term rentals for a 2 year grace period. It wouldn’t eliminate the problem but it would cut down on the opportunism of people buying homes for the sole purpose of essentially turning them into hotels.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

My understanding is that the current wave of purchases is driven by people fleeing the pandemic in the Bay Area and in anticipation of working from home long term.

I don't believe a tenant has much recourse if a landlord wants to terminate a month to month lease as long as the landlord gives adequate notice. It doesn't seem like that would be covered by the moratorium, which applies to people who can't make rent due to Covid 19. Unless the legislature acts the ban expires Sept 30.

The answer to the housing crisis is zoning promoting high density deed restricted housing. No more Martis Camps.

There are much better places to spend your summer than Tahoe. Blame it on the BA, but decades of marketing imploring the BA and SAC folks to come up to “paradise” to spend their money sure has worked.

We love SC, but in normal years hit the road come summer. We both work in secondary schools and have about 6 weeks where it is easy for us to avoid town which becomes a shithole for 8 weeks. It has been worse this summer as no one can fly away.

San francisco has this, called the ellis act.

There are always those who can sneak around it though.

And it has also created a very " renter biased" landscape where a) owners/landlords have to pay very large sums to renters, even if there is no lease, to get renters to vacate the property for them to be able to sell it. And b) many properties sit vacant because owners do not want tenants in there with so many "rights" over the property.

There are unintentional consequences unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I don't believe a tenant has much recourse if a landlord wants to terminate a month to month lease as long as the landlord gives adequate notice. It doesn't seem like that would be covered by the moratorium, which applies to people who can't make rent due to Covid 19. Unless the legislature acts the ban expires Sept 30.
    So... if you see the place you live goes on the market, stop paying your rent so they can't evict you?
    I like it.

Quote Originally Posted by heckacali View Post
    San francisco has this, called the ellis act.

There are always those who can sneak around it though.

And it has also created a very " renter biased" landscape where a) owners/landlords have to pay very large sums to renters, even if there is no lease, to get renters to vacate the property for them to be able to sell it. And b) many properties sit vacant because owners do not want tenants in there with so many "rights" over the property.
    Seems like it could be tweaked then. Cause right now we have a very landownder biased system here, which leaves the community in bad shape from a workforce standpoint and results in people opening hotels right in the middle of neighborhoods.

So... if you see the place you live goes on the market, stop paying your rent so they can't evict you?
    I like it.
    Ha, genius!

I’ve heard from realtor friends that while there are definitely BA folks moving full time because they can work from home, there are also plenty who see the crazy STR demand and are trying to snatch up properties and take advantage. Some of those places can be absolute cash cows when demand is high. Seems like local government should try to do something.

Truckee had 105 homes sell in the month of June alone (with a bunch more under contract). That’s... a lot.

I got a 30 day notice to vacate my current living situation yesterday. This is the third time now since August 2017 that I’m getting the boot from a residence. The first two times were so the house could be sold. This time the owner’s son decided he wants to move up here.

Only a fool plays a game he can’t win and I’m tired of being a fool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    There are much better places to spend your summer than Tahoe.
    I submit that you cannot call yourself a local unless you a) leave town on the 4th, and b) go to Hawaii in March

I like it.
    When the sheriff comes to throw you out on the street tell them Old Goat said they can't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Blart View Post
    I got a 30 day notice to vacate my current living situation yesterday. This is the third time now since August 2017 that I’m getting the boot from a residence. The first two times were so the house could be sold. This time the owner’s son decided he wants to move up here.

Only a fool plays a game he can’t win and I’m tired of being a fool.
    Sux.
    One thing that can be done immediately is to place a moratorium on new STR's.
    Additionally--raise the TOT to increase the fund to subsidize below market rate housing.
    Deed restrictions on new units to permanently prohibit STR's. Require the option of a minimum of one year lease on all rentals, waivable if both parties agree. Multiple family multiple story buildings--attractive for local renters, not attractive as second homes unless located at lakes, ski resorts, golf courses.
    Truckee needs to enact a STR regulation similar to Placer County's, with strict enforcement of noise, occupancy limits, parking. Make owner liable for renter behavior. Fines and suspension of license to short term rent. Make the area livable for locals and a headache for STR landlords.
    And for now--no STR's over the weekend, only Sunday PM to Friday PM, to allow adequate cleaning and spacing between groups, and to reduce the overcrowding of the area on the weekends, as per the Truckee/Placer County letter.
    Town of Truckee is studying the housing problem to death, but not doing anything.

Some of that is probably very complicated to enact and enforce, but a moratorium on new STR’s can be done quickly and easily. Obviously this isn’t a new issue but it’s certainly on steroids right now.

Placer County ordinance
    https://www.placer.ca.gov/DocumentCe...B-Item-2A-CDRA
    Truckee OTOH has no regulations or ordinances pertaining to STR's except for the TOT ordinance--a gross oversight which the Town Council seems unable or unwilling to do anything about.

#local4lyfe

Seen today at the Mt Rose meadows parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

When I look for a long term living situation right now the biggest problem is the extreme price tag. I can find places that are available but I can’t afford them.

$1400 for a studio or $2600 for a 2x1 is just outrageous when you look at what the average local employee makes. If you’re lucky and you have a crew of friends you can still find that gem 4x2 for $3000 or something similar but my friends have all moved on.

Even some of the employee housing options are astronomical for what’s offered. $570 for a bunk in a 2-4 person unit that’s a maximum of 350 sq ft.

buddy took a photo of this crazy seen, next day I saw this on the news

https://abc7news.com/south-lake-taho...ncing/6346461/