Page 56 of 531 FirstFirst ... 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 ... LastLast
Results 1,376 to 1,400 of 13261

Thread: Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    This guy made it work.

Attachment 334564
    John Tomac, 1990, Mt Snow, NORBA Nationals. He won the Hillclimb, XC & DH all on the that same fully rigid drop-bar Yeti.

I was there!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Tomac is using a really long Tioga ( what else ) stem

riding my drop bar road bike I am mostly on the hoods and very rarely on the dropouts

which is probably why I like the geeky bar end/on mtn bike bars for a touring bike so I can just keep running normal deore trigger shifters
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by Skistack View Post
    This guy made it work.

Attachment 334564
    I can hear that tension disc right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I was there!
    I raced in the Sport class in both the uphill and XC that week, what a freaking party.
    The sound that disc wheel made as Johnny T came roaring out of the woods was insane! I’ll never forget that week.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Didn’t he do it to mimic his road position? Had a pro European contract iirc.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Yeah, he was on 7-11/Motorola for a couple of years.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    You can put drop bars on your old MTN bike. Just get a super tall and short stem to put the drops in the right position for you.

Just go to the bike shop and dig in the boxes of old stems and bars and find a combo that fits.
    I did this to an 2011ish steel mtb and rode it as a gravel bike for a couple years. The geo was funky but was also kinda fun on singletrack. Gravel specific short reach drop bars helped too.

I want that Tomac Yeti....

anyone have a oneup pump with tool? Debating getting one just want to know if it’s worth the $150....

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I want that Tomac Yeti....

anyone have a oneup pump with tool? Debating getting one just want to know if it’s worth the $150....
    Yes and yes. I have the OneUp EDC top cap cut into 2 of my bikes. And the EDC tool gets moved between bikes. I screw a 20g CO2 canister on the bottom of it.
    My wife prefers to carry a pump and not use CO2s. So I bought the 70cc mini with the EDC tool stored inside.
    All solid pieces of equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    Yes and yes. I have the OneUp EDC top cap cut into 2 of my bikes. And the EDC tool gets moved between bikes. I screw a 20g CO2 canister on the bottom of it.
    My wife prefers to carry a pump and not use CO2s. So I bought the 70cc mini with the EDC tool stored inside.
    All solid pieces of equipment.
    yah the reviews are good, most seem to like them for sure and it would eliminate any bag or shit in my pocket for the majority of my rides...

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    yah the reviews are good, most seem to like them for sure and it would eliminate any bag or shit in my pocket for the majority of my rides...
    I have the tool + tire plug kit in the stem on a couple of bikes. Have the mini pump with a c02 in it as well. No issues. Love having repair stuff attached to bikes for packless and worry free riding.

I find the stem tool a bit of a pain to get out if you slam it in all the way. I find it you just let it fall in with gravity it will seat itself enough that it’s not coming out while riding but then is easier to get out when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Dee Hubbs View Post
    John Tomac, 1990, Mt Snow, NORBA Nationals. He won the Hillclimb, XC & DH all on the that same fully rigid drop-bar Yeti.
    So crazy watching old mtb footage. The bikes! I'll never forget my first true downhill on a completely rigid frame. I probably got a concussion from just riding downhill with no suspension

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/throwb...early-90s.html

I remember riding porcupine on a rigid for the first time, my eyes couldn’t focus and my teeth hurt. I had to stop a few times because of this. Not to mention my fingers.
    And the flats!
    And we thought we were being smashy.
    Video now would be hilarious,
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

This isn’t on some weird planet normal or intentional by Yeti right? Had some creaking, pulled the BB, found this...ummmm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DE6E2BF6-8023-4B2D-BC17-CD36DA13925A.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	407.8 KB 
ID:	334695
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

Ask the experts

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post
    This isn’t on some weird planet normal or intentional by Yeti right? Had some creaking, pulled the BB, found this...ummmm.

I’ve just recently started watching Hambini on YouTube, the guy’s hilarious and all I think/wish he would analyze a Yeti...although it’s probably better we don’t know the true engineering behind the layup.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgpVv07gUk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by robnow; 07-14-2020 at 07:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmor View Post
    I want to lower the gearing on my cross bike. Currently at 46/36t with a 11-26t 10spd cassette. Looking to go to a 11-36t cassette. It's a 2013 with Sram Re, that derailleur only takes 28t. Was looking at picking up a Sram GX 10spd derailleur with medium cage and to accommodate the new cassette. Can I shift a 2020 GX derailleur with Sram Red from 2013?
    I'll answer my own question. Yes, you can do this.

Name:	superx.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	2.04 MB 
ID:	334747

Quote Originally Posted by robnow View Post
    I’ve just recently started watching Hambini on YouTube, the guy’s hilarious and all I think/wish he would analyze a Yeti...although it’s probably better we don’t know the true engineering behind the layup.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qCgpVv07gUk
    I'm a big Hambini fan, I watch him all the time and just laugh at his cursing and insults to the engineers.
    My local shop carries OPEN, sells a few a year, I was really interested to watch this one. Made me reconsider my "want" for an OPEN.

Experts—my Knolly cache carbon fork did not come with an expansion plug. What expansion plugs are folks using for carbon forks that allow you to use your own top cap? The FSA plug and king top cap don’t play nicely.

Quote Originally Posted by volklpowdermaniac View Post

Believe it or not, that's not the problem. Yes, it looks bad but that's really just part of carbon layup. The creaking you heard is the devil, aka, press-fit bottom brackets; now, finally, thankfully, going out of fashion. The only true fix is to replace the BB with any of the thread-in pressfit BBs like the Enduro TorqTite, Wheels Manufacturing PF30Threaded, or Cane Creek Hellbender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Broke a spoke on my rear wheel on the way up a climb today. So dumb. Was taking a photo of my bike and it fell over and landed just right on a golf ball sized rock and snapped a spoke clean where nipple meets rim. Ibis 742 carbon with DT Swiss 350 hub. I was livid and push on anyway with the spoke dangling. I finished the climb and then ripped the DH and got a KOM. Rugged fucking trail too, so these wheels are tough.

Super ghetto to just take that one spoke off completely? I can use dykes and get it without pulling the cassette.

I do every bit of work on my bike besides wheels.....guess I need to start since all shops are weeks out on any service. IDK how I find out what spoke I would need to replace it anyway.

^Not an expert, but this website https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/ or something similar with a spoke calculator is what the mechanics would use at the shop my brother used to work at.

Ask the experts

Use a spoke length calculator to input your rim, hub and lacing pattern. Standard J spikes right? Just take the old one off, lace in the new one, tension a little past correct, back off till it’s right (half turn or so each way) and ride. Check and retension after a couple rides.

Done and done.

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    ^Not an expert, but this website https://kstoerz.com/freespoke/ or something similar with a spoke calculator is what the mechanics would use at the shop my brother used to work at.
    Like this spoke length calculator. Good link.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Broke a spoke on my rear wheel on the way up a climb today. So dumb. Was taking a photo of my bike and it fell over and landed just right on a golf ball sized rock and snapped a spoke clean where nipple meets rim. Ibis 742 carbon with DT Swiss 350 hub. I was livid and push on anyway with the spoke dangling. I finished the climb and then ripped the DH and got a KOM. Rugged fucking trail too, so these wheels are tough.

Super ghetto to just take that one spoke off completely? I can use dykes and get it without pulling the cassette.

I do every bit of work on my bike besides wheels.....guess I need to start since all shops are weeks out on any service. IDK how I find out what spoke I would need to replace it anyway.
    Sure the spoke broke?
    Probably the nipple
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.