Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Thread: 1kg Boot thread

Saw the COVID-19 tsunami approaching two weeks ago and thought the resorts might close. Freaked out and ordered some 2018 Fischer Travers in a 27.5 (one size up from alpine boots) on sale.

Uphill: amazing. Downhill: Lots of heel lift with the stock liners and pretty soft forward flex.

Put my Intuition Tour Wrap 27s and green superfeet in them. The ROM uphill is a little worse (both total degrees of articulation and resistance through the initial ROM) but the downhill heel hold and forward flex are much better. Like, a lot a lot. At least for my narrow heels. Added about 80gm per boot over stock setup, to about 1130gm per boot.

Pretty psyched on these. Driving Line Vision 98s in a 179 cm with Xenics brakeless so far. We are expecting 20-30” in upper Little Cottonwood by the weekend. So I’m planning on trying them out with my 184 cm Atomic BC 120s this Friday/Saturday too.

Got out touring at PC in the AM and Alta sidecountry in the PM today. I moved my Xenics brakeless to my 184cm BC 120s, ski/binding weight of approx 2130gm per foot. Paired with the Travers in a 27.5 with green Superfeet and 27 Tour Wraps.

This setup was so awesome for chasing pow today. Still have to be mindful with the Travers not to get too far forward in the boot. Especially when going through funky snow or old ski tracks/skin tracks.

But damn: conditions were prime time especially in LCC today. And this boot/binding/ski combo did not disappoint.

DG,

What's your height/weight? Considering the Travers for the wife but she doesn't have the opportunity to test any of the really light boots.

5’ 9” and 145lbs. I’m not a big guy by any means.

Gave the Travers their biggest test so far today. Dawn patrolled the south face of Mt. Superior in LCC.

Spooky quiet out there, just me and my touring buddy. 6ft apart at all times, of course

Again, for my size/weight/foot shape, the Travers + Tour Wrap + green Superfeet was money.

Multiple sections of downhill skinning on the approach. It’s pretty easy to lock the Travers into ski mode and leave skins on for those sections.

They scramble/boot uphill like a full vibram soled AT boot should.

And they did not disappoint on the descent either. Totally capable of driving my 184 cm BC 120s over the weird windboard at the top, and more than enough boot for the soft settled pow on the lower 3/4s of the run.

TLDR: I’m pretty psyched on these boots, for my skiing style, weight, and touring ski quiver.

Okay, I promise I will stop flooding this thread with my opinions now. My apologizes, not a lot else to do right now.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8B3D8F8E-09D2-4995-93BB-8694B078EE16.jpeg 
Views:	119 
Size:	222.3 KB 
ID:	323102

Name:	62190E78-C033-43AF-BCDC-C8194B616D36.jpeg 
Views:	117 
Size:	313.9 KB 
ID:	323103

Name:	A9ADAA30-C8BD-4A7A-87B1-4621E1521EA9.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	396.0 KB 
ID:	323104

No no, please, keep going. No one is going to complain about stoke in reviews.
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

[Mention]DGamms[/Mention]
    What other 'light' boots have you used? I think you've had xtd's but I'm considering travers to replace my now well worn tlt5p's.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    What other 'light' boots have you used? I think you've had xtd's but I'm considering travers to replace my now well worn tlt5p's.
    Exact same here. Want new Travers Carbons. Also DGamms, I was going to suggest after your initial review that you could put a booster strap on those and it would stiffen them up as well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

XL Voile Strap>Booster for ease of use, nearly the same feel.

I picked up a pair of travers at the end of last year to use for long days and spring corn. Ski 90% of my days in orange, blue and white Maestrale RS's. I find them great and easy to ski in powder and all types of smooth snow. Crusts, old tracks, glop or other difficult snow and they become downright scary to me. Part of this might be the skis too as my everyday ski is a 184 volkl katana and I ski the travers with a 177 atomic backland 95.

Quote Originally Posted by zion zig zag View Post
    I picked up a pair of travers at the end of last year to use for long days and spring corn. Ski 90% of my days in orange, blue and white Maestrale RS's. I find them great and easy to ski in powder and all types of smooth snow. Crusts, old tracks, glop or other difficult snow and they become downright scary to me. Part of this might be the skis too as my everyday ski is a 184 volkl katana and I ski the travers with a 177 atomic backland 95.
    When I ski Atomic Backland 95s with my Scarpa F1s, I have to be very tentative. When I ski my Ranger 108s with the F1s, I feel like I can do everything with confidence. Methinks it may be the skis.

I think the effect of a ski's turn radius / hookiness is amplified by the lighter boots. I had a really hard time managing my 18m radius skis in any kind of bad snow with the Fischers, which iirc is the radius on that length of the Backland 95s. My LD90s (at 29m) behaved way better. The 18m skis with my ZGTPs I can kinda just force through bad snow to some extent (a much greater extent).

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    I had TLT6Ps a long time ago. The heel hold of the TLTs was probably better than the Travers. TLT6P plus Expert Booster plus stiff tongue skied downhill about like the Travers plus Tour Wrap. And the Travers is more comfortable on my foot, probably in part because I went up to 27.5 in the Travers and everything else I’ve owned had been a 26.5.

I own the XTD 130s in a 26.5 also. They ski great downhill, but I’ve got a Haglund’s deformity on each heel that gets bigger throughout each ski season for the last 5+ years. And the tighter fit of these boots has made them uncomfortable for anything but short walks lately.

Thanks for the strap addition suggestions all. I have Boosters on all my other boots, but I ordered some 22” XL (width) Voile Straps to try this time around.

I’m not sure if I will end up using them or not though. Part of the advantage of skiing a lot of park on short, soft, progressively mounted skis the past three seasons inbounds is that I am now pretty comfortable skiing from the middle of the boot/ski.

So even in the BC in weird snow, I don’t feel the need to ram my shins forward into the tongue of a boot to make a turn. IMO this makes the softer forward flex of boots like the Travers less of a concern for me, even compared to my own preferences from 4-5 years ago.
    Last edited by DGamms; 04-01-2020 at 01:55 PM.

Question: anyone have insight into what the best adhesive is for regluing alien rs gaiters back to the shell?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by abp View Post
    Question: anyone have insight into what the best adhesive is for regluing alien rs gaiters back to the shell?
    I've had some luck with gorilla glue. Key is pressing them together somehow. I stuffed an object in the boot to keep them together while the glue dried. Tip: don't let the gorilla glue run into your internal boa cable guides! Oops.

I've also had decent luck with Tenacious Tape repair tape on the outside (don't use the clear stuff, use the fabric stuff). Put the tape on and put it near a heat source for a good bond. I have a few patches that are wearing out, but lasted longer than I thought.

The gaiters are definitely a wink link with the boot. Not sure how you could improve them though, they're pretty burly.

Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsAugustWest View Post
    When I ski Atomic Backland 95s with my Scarpa F1s, I have to be very tentative. When I ski my Ranger 108s with the F1s, I feel like I can do everything with confidence. Methinks it may be the skis.
    Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    I think the effect of a ski's turn radius / hookiness is amplified by the lighter boots. I had a really hard time managing my 18m radius skis in any kind of bad snow with the Fischers, which iirc is the radius on that length of the Backland 95s. My LD90s (at 29m) behaved way better. The 18m skis with my ZGTPs I can kinda just force through bad snow to some extent (a much greater extent).
    Hmmm... I hadn't considered that but makes sense. I need to try some LD90's I guess.

S-lab x alp with tour wrap skis awesome

Quote Originally Posted by ski whore View Post
    S-lab x alp with tour wrap skis awesome

What're you using for skis? Where you skiing primarily?
    For Sale:

If you're in the Northeast and would like to borrow some Jigarex Plates I have:

Rossi/Look plates
    Salomon Warden 13 plates
    Marker Kingpin Plates

FWIW, today I skied 1800g 192 Voile Chargers (114 underfoot) with 250g Marker Alpinists using my relatively new-to-me Alien RS and didn't die.

Conditions varied from surfy pow to chopped pow to pseudo-bumps to hard pack. I came away pleasantly surprised with the tradeoffs between driving these fatter/damper skis compared to the Zero G 85s I had used exclusively so far with the Alien RS.

I will definitely be using this configuration more often...particularly when I need something more versatile than the Zero G 85s for variable conditions like today.

Quote Originally Posted by Dshack89 View Post
    FWIW, today I skied 1800g 192 Voile Chargers (114 underfoot) with 250g Marker Alpinists using my relatively new-to-me Alien RS and didn't die.

Conditions varied from surfy pow to chopped pow to pseudo-bumps to hard pack. I came away pleasantly surprised with the tradeoffs between driving these fatter/damper skis compared to the Zero G 85s I had used exclusively so far with the Alien RS.

I will definitely be using this configuration more often...particularly when I need something more versatile than the Zero G 85s for variable conditions like today.
    do you have a ski in between these 2 extremes? you certainly have some room in the quiver if not eh

do you have a ski in between these 2 extremes? you certainly have some room in the quiver if not eh
    Yes, the elusive, Goldilocks, 100-ish ski ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Quote Originally Posted by galibier_numero_un View Post
    Yes, the elusive, Goldilocks, 100-ish ski ;-)

... Thom
    I'm somewhat regretting not buying those LD102s you had, but justifying it by saying I'll buy some NEW LD102s (or CD104Ls) this fall... we will see. For now, the BC Solis @ 100mm is doing the trick for me... on the heavy side, but super stable for 180cm. It would be a lot for a 1kg boot though, but I think a 181 CD104L would be manageable... and I know the 179 LD102/CD102L/whatever plays nicely with that boot also.

I'm somewhat regretting not buying those LD102s you had, but justifying it by saying I'll buy some NEW LD102s (or CD104Ls) this fall... we will see. For now, the BC Solis @ 100mm is doing the trick for me... on the heavy side, but super stable for 180cm. It would be a lot for a 1kg boot though, but I think a 181 CD104L would be manageable... and I know the 179 LD102/CD102L/whatever plays nicely with that boot also.
    And me here, with a gimpy knee (and shut down for other reasons - we won't go there), in suspense over how those CD 104Ls I got from @dschane will ski.

Mounted with RT10s, they're 1820g. With your Trofeo Pluses, they'd come in at 1730!

What's interesting about that 104L build is how damp they feel.

With the tail on the floor and holding the ski a bit above the toe, pulling the tip back and letting go, the "boing" settles down really quickly. How this translates on snow beats me, but it's all I got right now ;-)

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Haha I'm working on convincing my wife...gotta offload some alpine setups and then I'm good. Wish I'd just jumped on that STP black crows deal earlier this year...

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    What're you using for skis? Where you skiing primarily?
    184 ravens in CO