Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Slightly Used bikes (<$3000) that make your shorts tight.

I am looking for a new bike. Been trudging along with my rigid Kona Unit singlespeed but the brakes are shot and wheels are on their way out. My kids are finally getting old enough that they are fun to ride on trails with me. And the single speed means I am either going way faster than them or slower than them. It has been awhile since I have been "plugged in" on what is cool and what is junk. Looking at used bikes because I feel like that might be the best value for somebody who doesn't need the latest hotness. I am looking at this one: https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2430421/
    and this one: https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...6408547506502/
    But I don't even know if they are a good deal or not?

A bit about me. 6'1ish. 190lbs. 45yo non-dentist who wants to have fun with his kids and ride the front range/Summit county trails. I have literally never ridden a full suspension bike more than around a parking lot. So I think that might be cool. So according to my research I am looking for a Large (maybe XL depending on the brand?) Trail/All Mountain Bike with 27.5 wheels. I don't buy new stuff very often so I am looking for something that will remain relevant for a few years. Looking to spend $2k-$3k. What you got? Spend my money.

Am I the only one who's like, totally amazed/bummed that a used bicycle would be three fucking thousand dollars?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Am I the only one who's like, totally amazed/bummed that a [I]used bicycle[
    /I] would be three fucking thousand dollars?
    No. I suppose one could spend a couple hundred. But I feel like that could be the value sweet spot.

Sent from my SM-G930V using TGR Forums mobile app

I'm not criticizing you, or your post, it just totally sucks that's where we're at with the sport.

This looks pretty good and is kinda nearby to you. He says he'll knock off $400 going with DT Swiss wheels instead of the fancy i9 ones.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2734102/

Dentist bike at non-dentist price.

I'm not criticizing you, or your post, it just totally sucks that's where we're at with the sport.
    No. I agree with you. This is why I only buy bikes every decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Andeh View Post
    This looks pretty good and is kinda nearby to you. He says he'll knock off $400 going with DT Swiss wheels instead of the fancy i9 ones.
    https://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/2734102/

Dentist bike at non-dentist price.
    Thanks for that one. But educate me, what makes it better than the Yeti I found? Newer model year?

“How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Honestly was thinking about selling my MTB as I'm far more interested in trail running and skiing these days that I put almost no time on it. It'd be way cheaper than 2-3K though. It's relatively modern geometry and could be a decent platform for upgrading if you aren't a weight weenie. Diamondback Release 1 from 2017? I think. 2x10, Yari fork, added a dropper post, upgraded rubber and pedals . A newer rear wheel (and also an XD driver to swap on the hub if you want to upgrade to SRAM 1x).

I'm 6'2", it's an XL. I couldn't fit on a L because my long legs without a very long seatpost.

If that fits what you're interested in feel free to PM me and we can talk.

EDIT: Oh -- I'm in Denver.
    Last edited by doebedoe; 03-10-2020 at 11:54 AM.

I'm not a fan of buying used bikes unless from someone I know, and/or unless I can check it out in person. Hard to tell condition from just photos. I'm picky about bike condition.

IMHO best deals to be found are on new last year leftovers from places like backcountry.com and evo.com. Evo has a Denver location now, don't they?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I'm not a fan of buying used bikes unless from someone I know, and/or unless I can check it out in person. Hard to tell condition from just photos. I'm picky about bike condition.

IMHO best deals to be found are on new last year leftovers from places like backcountry.com and evo.com. Evo has a Denver location now, don't they?
    They do and it is 6 blocks from my office. Honestly, walking in, the place is so "cool" I couldn't see myself finding a bargain. But maybe I will swing by and take another look.

Am I the only one who's like, totally amazed/bummed that a used bicycle would be three fucking thousand dollars?
    That Altitude he linked to is a full carbon frame, carbon rims on fancy hubs, premium suspension, etc. for $2,500. Yeah, that seems reasonable to me. Alloy frame and wheels, budget suspension (which these days is still quite good), etc. will cost you a lot less.

1. Buy the un-sexy brands
    2. Focus more on fork, shock, wheels, Brakeset.
    3. Alloy. Only. Ever.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    However many are in a shit ton.

Quote Originally Posted by mcsquared View Post
    Thanks for that one. But educate me, what makes it better than the Yeti I found? Newer model year?

Can't see exact build on the Facebook one, but the one big thing I could see was that the 2018 comes with a better shock. The 2016 appears to have a GX Eagle 12-speed drivetrain (which is nice) and would guess it probably has Guide brakes which are kinda meh. The 2018 has Shimano 11-speed but wide-range drivetrain (11-46 instead of 10-50), which should be more than enough if you're used to single-speeding (and is lighter). The 2018 looks to be in better overall condition, which is unsurprising as it's 2 years newer. It's also got the neat OneUp multi-tool, and more blingy color matching bits.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    That is 29er. I think I am looking for a 27.5. My Kona is a 29r and honestly I never loved it. Want something a little more nimble. But my mind could be changed. Thanks though.

They do and it is 6 blocks from my office. Honestly, walking in, the place is so "cool" I couldn't see myself finding a bargain. But maybe I will swing by and take another look.
    Evo can also deliver whatever they show online to any of their local stores, so surf around on their website.

That is 29er. I think I am looking for a 27.5. My Kona is a 29r and honestly I never loved it. Want something a little more nimble. But my mind could be changed. Thanks though.
    Leftover Devinci Troy 27.5:
    https://www.evo.com/outlet/mountain/...bike-2018-.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

For <$3000 you can get a great deal on a new bike, last years stock.
    Shop EVO, Jenson, Backcountry, ect. Lots of good options out there.

Quote Originally Posted by jm2e View Post
    1. Buy the un-sexy brands
    2. Focus more on fork, shock, wheels, Brakeset.
    3. Alloy. Only. Ever.

This, but I'd say carbon is fine if it has very little use.

There are a lot of wear parts on a full suspension mountain bike nowadays. Used may get you a better parts spec and lighter weight, but it may also require a fair bit of maintenance expense in the near term. Just about every moving part on a squish bike now requires annual maintenance/replacement if you are a frequent rider. It would not be surprising to pay $1000/yr in maintenance costs if you outsource it to your LBS. Maintenance is even more frequently required if you ride in wet conditions. Buying new if you can afford it should get you a year of use without any significant additional maintenance expense. And if you buy a great frame w/ a low end parts kit (which is what you'll likely find cheap on Evo, Jenson, etc.), you can upgrade instead of just replacing some of those components as they wear out. That said, if you can find a used bike that somebody has meticulously maintained, that could be a great bargain too. The trick is in finding that seller.

Probably a little older than what you’re looking for but about to sell my ‘14 Giant Trance 27.5 x1 build w upgrades for around $1k.

Coupla notes:

1) Just because you didn't like your old 29'er doesn't mean you won't like a new one. Don't let wheel size be a deciding factor. Geometry has come a loooong way. I think you'd be happy on either wheel size. I thought I hated 29ers too, turns out, I just hated my bike's geo. Now I'm never going back to little wheels.
    2) for 3 grand these days you don't need to go used. NX Ripmo AF or similar will make you a very happy camper, and will come with shop support that a used bike won't.
    3) If you do go used, treat that Ripmo AF as a bottom line. If a used bike doesn't come with 1x, decent suspension, and good geo, why buy it over a brand new AF? Carbon wheels matter way less than good geo.
    4) It's important to remember that for most "industry" type people, they can get a GX level build (usually a 5kish build with carbon frame) of whatever their favorite sexy new bikes is for somewhere in the region of $3-3800 on pro deal. So it makes a ton of sense for them to flip that bike for 3k every year and get a new one. Folks doing that are a great way to get a nice bike for cheap.
    5) This one is just personal bias, so feel free to ignore, but I'd never buy a used Yeti. Some sucker paid a crap ton for that thing, and chances are, they're trying to make back that money from you. On the flipside though, you'd have a hard time convincing me to buy a used direct to consumer bike like a YT just because they're so affordable that I've seen too many folks buy em and run them into the ground and ignore maintenance. Again, feel free to ignore, but I just don't see the point in buying used "superbikes" or budget bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapow View Post
    The trick is in finding that seller.
    I like to think that one of my super powers is finding that guy. The guy who meticulously upgrades things and tinkers with things to the point that he has no time to abuse the thing and then wants to move on to a better thing and wants to unload the old thing because it bores him. It is a strange mix of minor OCD/ADHD/Disposable income that I am looking for.

I got an indusrty bud who buys the super high end bike, wraps it, puts his set of i9 wheels on it, after 20 rides he puts the original wheels back on, sells it doesnt lose any $, does it all over again

edit: If yer gona sell bikes you should ride/own/ turn them over fast, unfortunately I take medium and he takes large
    Last edited by XXX-er; 03-10-2020 at 02:19 PM.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    4) It's important to remember that for most "industry" type people, they can get a GX level build (usually a 5kish build with carbon frame) of whatever their favorite sexy new bikes is for somewhere in the region of $3-3800 on pro deal. So it makes a ton of sense for them to flip that bike for 3k every year and get a new one. Folks doing that are a great way to get a nice bike for cheap.
    Paging PHall.... PHall to the white courtesy thread, please....

Quote Originally Posted by cydwhit View Post
    Coupla notes:

1) Just because you didn't like your old 29'er doesn't mean you won't like a new one. Don't let wheel size be a deciding factor. Geometry has come a loooong way. I think you'd be happy on either wheel size. I thought I hated 29ers too, turns out, I just hated my bike's geo. Now I'm never going back to little wheels.
    2) for 3 grand these days you don't need to go used. NX Ripmo AF or similar will make you a very happy camper, and will come with shop support that a used bike won't.
    3) If you do go used, treat that Ripmo AF as a bottom line. If a used bike doesn't come with 1x, decent suspension, and good geo, why buy it over a brand new AF? Carbon wheels matter way less than good geo.
    5) This one is just personal bias, so feel free to ignore, but I'd never buy a used Yeti. Some sucker paid a crap ton for that thing, and chances are, they're trying to make back that money from you. On the flipside though, you'd have a hard time convincing me to buy a used direct to consumer bike like a YT just because they're so affordable that I've seen too many folks buy em and run them into the ground and ignore maintenance. Again, feel free to ignore, but I just don't see the point in buying used "superbikes" or budget bikes.
    Good points. Upon second look, I like that Ripmo, but alas it is a Medium. That is a no go for my lanky ass. But I appreciate all the advice/suggestions. I actually dropped by Evo during lunch and the guy said similar things regarding 27.5/29. I'll give both a try. They have a couple options at the 2,900 price point. But with taxes it will be a grand+ more than some of the used options.