Page 34 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
    They would have a hard time successfully denying cancellation coverage for travel to any country that has a level 3 CDC warning. It gets simpler if the flight is canceled.

Still no word from the nurses.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Ehhhhh I'm going to wait it out a little more before rushing out to book my flights and airbnb stays. I'm guessing the worst panic will be over by the time I get back to Europe in August. However, things are looking better now for my trip to Iceland in early June. Gonna have to see how things progress.

However, I do think that the recent cases in Italy and Iran prove that we've missed our window for full containment. The latency period and asymptotic carriers has made it too difficult to get ahead of.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    Dude, you're in Utah.... the Mormons are preppers.

https://mormonbeliefs.org/2016/05/02...sday-preppers/
    I just bought 20 N95 masks on Amazon and bet that, within a few days, there's going to be a 60 day wait for them.
    Amazon is already saying 30 days out unless you pay $89 shipping, the same cost as the masks. Gouging in effect.
    My gf told me she had a sore throat this AM plus she's flying on Friday. I told her to check back in a couple months.

Not to make this be moved to polyass, but... Newt Gingrich is on Laura Ingraham right now and being allowed to further Trump’s opinion that the warm weather is going to kill the virus. I’m not an epidemiologist but that doesn’t sound right to me?

Have you stayed at a Holiday Inn recently, Bob?

I wonder if anywhere else on earth they are calling this the "chinese rat flu".

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    Not to make this be moved to polyass, but... Newt Gingrich is on Laura Ingraham right now and being allowed to further Trump’s opinion that the warm weather is going to kill the virus. I’m not an epidemiologist but that doesn’t sound right to me?
    That's the theory, that it will die down like flu does in the summer. But how do they know that when the shit just came into being this winter? Even if they're right it just slows shit down.

I would expect that the govt will make sure hospitals and other providers have priority on the masks.

in general coronaviruses and influenza (mostly flu and cold) like cold dry conditions so their spread rate (R0) is higher in the winter months. This is expected to be the case with coVid-19. If the R0 drops below 1 then virus stops spreading. Rhinoviruses which are responsible for another 30%+ of common colds are more common in spring and fall whereas enterovirus are more adapt to spreading in summer.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

'This might be bad': US officials finally admit Coronavirus will be a pandemic with schools and businesses forced to close
    The CDC has confirmed 53 cases in the US

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...box=1582655074

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I would expect that the govt will make sure hospitals and other providers have priority on the masks.
    Maybe if we still had a functional government.

Quote Originally Posted by BobMc View Post
    It was all fun and games electing an poo flinging monkey to be President. But then your country is faced with a pandemic that could kill millions of Americans, and you have a poo flinging monkey as your President...

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I just bought 20 N95 masks on Amazon and bet that, within a few days, there's going to be a 60 day wait for them.
    Amazon is already saying 30 days out unless you pay $89 shipping, the same cost as the masks. Gouging in effect.
    My gf told me she had a sore throat this AM plus she's flying on Friday. I told her to check back in a couple months.
    they were like $20 for 40 (n95) at home depot like 2 weeks ago....
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

My understanding of the flu was that outbreaks slow down in warmer months because there is less concentration of students in school/universities and less adults all being cooped up inside. Probably people get more physical activity in warmer temps as well thereby helping their immune systems.

A virus with potentially a longer life on inert objects then the flu will potentially be able to overcome that warm weather drop in spreading rates.

Is the virus spreading in SE Asia right now? Because it’s not cold there.

Teh global warmingz came to save humans.

Oh, and there's this...

Guy in Florida went to China, for work, came back with flu symptoms, worried that it might be COVID, went to doctor, turned out to only be the flu, and, surprise! He owes $1400, out of a total billing of $3270. And he will owe even more than that, unless he can provide his insurance company with three years of detailed health records proving that he didn't catch the flu as a result of a pre-existing condition. (Needless to say, this is one of those non-ACA health plans that certain political factions have fought to allow, because free market consumer choice!) Oh, and the hospital where he was tested isn't finished billing him; the $1400/$3270 bill is only partial, physicians bill individually (are they in-network? maybe, or maybe not!), so more surprises ahead.

Anyway, unlike this guy, most people who have crap insurance know better than to go to a doctor or hospital, which is going to be a problem, for the whole world, if this pandemic makes the jump to this particular country, with its patchwork health care system that's mainly devoted to price gouging rather than keeping people healthy.
    Last edited by bobz; 02-26-2020 at 01:31 AM.

He also hasn't yet received the bill from the ER doctors that saw him - so he'll see that bill jump back up over $2k real soon. He will incur costs trying to track down and send in 3 years worth of medical records as well. He pays over $2000 a year in insurance so some people are saying $1400 is a good deal for a trip to the ER.

This is all excellent news as it will coach anyone who has flu like symptoms and any potential exposure to covid to not get tested and instead just carry on with their mild symptoms- like going to work as a cook or nurse or preschool teacher. Or care attendant at a retirement home.

Trump will cure covid and it will be so easy. Just as soon as he resurrects the CDC out of the grave he put it in. Sorry - are we allowed to mention his name in the Padded Room?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    My understanding of the flu was that outbreaks slow down in warmer months because there is less concentration of students in school/universities and less adults all being cooped up inside. Probably people get more physical activity in warmer temps as well thereby helping their immune systems.

A virus with potentially a longer life on inert objects then the flu will potentially be able to overcome that warm weather drop in spreading rates.

Is the virus spreading in SE Asia right now? Because it’s not cold there.
    I think it's true.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

It's not like its below freezing in Lombardy, Daegu, Wuhan, or Qom. It's quite temperate.

The virus seems happy to spread in regions that have temps close to normal indoor climate controlled temps. It is probably spreading indoors primarily anyway. (like on a cruise ship)

In the Summer, people spend less time cooped up indoors (a theory behind flu season).
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    It's not like its below freezing in Lombardy, Daegu, Wuhan, or Qom. It's quite temperate.

The virus seems happy to spread in regions that have temps close to normal indoor climate controlled temps. It is probably spreading indoors primarily anyway. (like on a cruise ship)

In the Summer, people spend less time cooped up indoors (a theory behind flu season).
    there is no below freezing requirement for any winter seasonal flu. it is the more time spent indoors in close contact and the drier colder air and if heated the then even drier air and dried out nasal passages. humidifiers are huge
    wuhan, still cold by flu standards
    https://www.google.com/search?q=wuhan+climate

Italy? Alto Adige is basically germany.

Iran?
    Lots of cold mountains right next to the mountains in Turkey where upwards of 40 just died in avalanches. There have been no reports in Afghanistan or Pakistan but you can bet that it is spreading unimpeded based on what has happened Iran. And that means Northern India, Nepal, etc, which were already probably getting it direct from Wuhan.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

The 1918 flu raged all summer and died in October.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The 1918 flu raged all summer and died in October.
    Did you mean to say that everyone died in October? October 1918 is the highest mortality rate in US history.

"Between war and sickness, life expectancy fell from 51 to 39 years of age in 1918, according to Davis."

https://www.history.com/news/spanish...s-october-1918
    https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...emic-h1n1.html
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Tropical Singapore, maybe the most advanced country in the world when it comes to responding to an epidemic, has seen just under 100 confirmed cases. Singaporeans without any recent travel history have contracted the virus which suggests the virus can spread in warm humid environments.

The good news is Singapore currently has more recoveries than it has new cases so in theory an effective response can contain this thing.