Page 13 of 59 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    pineapples, get yer pineapples

Quote Originally Posted by xyz View Post
    I’d honestly divert that money to a trip to the interior. Some ghetto cat skiing etc. Much more reliable for good snow. Not that it would suck but the coast is so fickle.
    I definitely want to do a proper week long interior hut trip but time is an issue for us these days... young kid at home/wife working demanding job, buddy with a tight work schedule etc... those extra couple travel days to get to/from the interior start to add up, and they don't feel worth the driving for only a 4 day ski trip. With the Altus/Hurley you drive to Pemby and sled in that morning and are on snow by 10am. On the last day, ski until early afternoon before sledding out and back home in Vancouver that evening, no travel days and no heli-stuck risk. Had an awesome time up at Whitecap a couple winters back, so that is another option with minimal travel time but the heli with coastal weather is a variable (we are looking mid January). Agree that the coast can be fickle but I've also been skunked in the interior mid-winter.

Had some awesome cat skiing trips as well, but the pricing is getting up there to be too much of a gamble for me, especially if you aren't filling the cat/snow risk/gaper risk/glacially slow pace of everything in a group of 12 etc.

You will still run that risk with a touring trip, possibly even more so. We just got back from Blanket. Had 14 people, 8 pretty decent riders, 6 pretty much kooks who didn't even really know how to use the gear, and couldn't really ski pow. Well not what i would consider skiing...

BSC is a pretty slick operation. Ross is a great guide/guy and runs a solid program with Altus. I think they would work well together. I have friend who tailguided there and loved it. She is very positive about everything though. Another friend also wrote an article about it which maybe slightly biased but has some nice pics https://www.doglotion.com/half-human-half-machine

If i had to pay full price I would go 100%. But it would be last minute only based on conditions for me. Can't figure out how people book 12 months out...

Quote Originally Posted by gramboh View Post
    I definitely want to do a proper week long interior hut trip but time is an issue for us these days... young kid at home/wife working demanding job, buddy with a tight work schedule etc... those extra couple travel days to get to/from the interior start to add up, and they don't feel worth the driving for only a 4 day ski trip. With the Altus/Hurley you drive to Pemby and sled in that morning and are on snow by 10am. On the last day, ski until early afternoon before sledding out and back home in Vancouver that evening, no travel days and no heli-stuck risk. Had an awesome time up at Whitecap a couple winters back, so that is another option with minimal travel time but the heli with coastal weather is a variable (we are looking mid January). Agree that the coast can be fickle but I've also been skunked in the interior mid-winter.

Had some awesome cat skiing trips as well, but the pricing is getting up there to be too much of a gamble for me, especially if you aren't filling the cat/snow risk/gaper risk/glacially slow pace of everything in a group of 12 etc.
    Fair enough. In reality all ski trips are a gamble. Lots of people got skunked in Japan this year.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post
    You will still run that risk with a touring trip, possibly even more so. We just got back from Blanket. Had 14 people, 8 pretty decent riders, 6 pretty much kooks who didn't even really know how to use the gear, and couldn't really ski pow. Well not what i would consider skiing...
    If it’s an unguided trip, I prefer that scenario. I did a meadows lodge trip a few years back with some randoms. They were very competent skiers but all they wanted to do was pop the same pillow under the hut each day. I went out with custodian (issac) each day and just slayed it. We had the whole tenure to ourselves.

Fair enough. In reality all ski trips are a gamble. Lots of people got skunked in Japan this year.
    and Whistler early on

If it’s an unguided trip, I prefer that scenario. I did a meadows lodge trip a few years back with some randoms. They were very competent skiers but all they wanted to do was pop the same pillow under the hut each day. I went out with custodian (issac) each day and just slayed it. We had the whole tenure to ourselves.
    Ya we had at least half the group who were content to do a run in the morning, head back the chalet, then huck the little cliffs outside the chalet non stop. I guess thats the difference between people who ski resorts all the time.

Probably by tomo, Whis will double the recent historical (15 year) average for the month of 210 cms (about 7 feet). And by end of month Fri, will likely add up 500cms (16.5 ft) and easily blow by the Jan 2006 record of 470. But there still are bones in places (like 7th) I thought would be covered by now.

A couple of quick questions . You can pm me if u don’t want to put it out there . 1). If u take the high traverse into ruby bowl right after you enter you will ski under a chute that is often untracked . Can u just scramble up from the high traverse to enter that way ? I’m usually a little apprehensive when I see it untracked . 2.) DOA is on my bucket list . Obviously tbar needs to be open and conditions amenable . Any other guidance around that ? 3. How much more work is it to get to poop chutes than carona bowl.

^^ Ruby chute: PC

Quote Originally Posted by KevLar View Post
    Probably by tomo, Whis will double the recent historical (15 year) average for the month of 210 cms (about 7 feet). And by end of month Fri, will likely add up 500cms (16.5 ft) and easily blow by the Jan 2006 record of 470. But there still are bones in places (like 7th) I thought would be covered by now.
    It’s been a month of not ‘did it snow’ but ‘how much did it snow’. Vancouver closing in on all time rain record too.

Speaking of hut trip discussions.

I unfortunately have to bail on a trip to Whitecap Alpine Feb 15-22. I picked up an assignment that I need to take.

The group is part of an annual trip we always do at different huts, no kooks here. They're bc savy, and strong skiers. It's guided and catered, I know guided can sometimes be annoying but it's at least with Marty from CAPOW who is a solid and rad dude.

Figured I would bump this thread to see if anyone local is interested. Drop me a PM if interested and we can figure out price.
    "Oh this isn't Russia Danny, is this Russia"

Quote Originally Posted by greenmachine View Post
    A couple of quick questions . You can pm me if u don’t want to put it out there . 1). If u take the high traverse into ruby bowl right after you enter you will ski under a chute that is often untracked . Can u just scramble up from the high traverse to enter that way ? I’m usually a little apprehensive when I see it untracked . 2.) DOA is on my bucket list . Obviously tbar needs to be open and conditions amenable . Any other guidance around that ? 3. How much more work is it to get to poop chutes than carona bowl.
    What schemeboat said. Generally if you have to hike up hill and theres no gate to go thru, its Permanently Closed. Exceptions are Grey Zone, Showcase peak (not chute, def PC), stupids but thats about it.

Poop Chutes is significantly longer than corona, also more complex terrain to navigate. It slid to ground in 1 part just a few days ago so go easy.

Quote Originally Posted by nortonwhis View Post

BSC is a pretty slick operation. Ross is a great guide/guy and runs a solid program with Altus. I think they would work well together. I have friend who tailguided there and loved it. She is very positive about everything though. Another friend also wrote an article about it which maybe slightly biased but has some nice pics https://www.doglotion.com/half-human-half-machine

If i had to pay full price I would go 100%. But it would be last minute only based on conditions for me. Can't figure out how people book 12 months out...
    Thanks dude, that is very helpful. Some good pics of the terrain in that article. I've heard good things about Ross as well from a buddy that did a Tantalus trip with Altus a few years back. Most likely will do one of these cat assist trips with them next winter. Booking in advance does suck, wish I had the flexibility to do last minute stuff but it's not in the cards with life these days. At least the cost is reasonable and with touring if the snow sucks you are still having a nice day out in the mountains (unless it's raining to 2000m) versus bumping around in a sweaty cat for $1k+ a day to ski shitty snow.

Oh and Whitecap with a solid group with guide like that would be sick, someone should jump on that with MeatHeadEC. We had some ... questionable ... skiers when we went and still got into pretty good terrain for early January. Still blows my mind that people who hip turn with their hands in their pockets, lifting inside ski etc. do these kind of trips.

greenmachine - if you don't mind spending a bit of cash ($10 I think?) you can get Ullr Maps on the app store for your phone, detailed map of WB including zones/runs not on the map, shows all PC's, sign-lines etc. For DOA, you can access it multiple ways, if alpine isn't open you could go out the approved backcountry route up Sunset Blvd to Bodybag/Decker and up from there... but I would not be going out into that terrain when alpine lifts are shut down unless you really know what you are doing.

Thanks on the beta and feedback on the app . If you don’t know , don’t go! That’s why I haven’t scrambled up to Ruby chute and why I wouldn’t hit DOA during alpine closure .... that being said I really want to ski it !

It’s been a month of not ‘did it snow’ but ‘how much did it snow’. Vancouver closing in on all time rain record too.
    pretty sure precip every single day of January so far

but I would not be going out into that terrain when alpine lifts are shut down unless you really know what you are doing.
    Especially this year. TBH, I got avalanched on that sub-peak between Blackcomb peak and Decker on the weekend. I was poking around the ridge trying to find the line after it whited out. As I was retreating back, below the ridge, the face broke above me, about a 30 cm crown. I got caught up in it and was dragged over some rocks before self arresting. Definitely some more rocky exposure below where I stopped that really could have fucked me up. Probably not death but ugly for sure. My girlfriend lost sight of me for a bit and was pretty freaked out, understandably. The bed surface was a facetted mess.

Anyway...play safe out there!

Especially this year. TBH, I got avalanched on that sub-peak between Blackcomb peak and Decker on the weekend. I was poking around the ridge trying to find the line after it whited out. As I was retreating back, below the ridge, the face broke above me, about a 30 cm crown. I got caught up in it and was dragged over some rocks before self arresting. Definitely some more rocky exposure below where I stopped that really could have fucked me up. Probably not death but ugly for sure. My girlfriend lost sight of me for a bit and was pretty freaked out, understandably. The bed surface was a facetted mess.

Anyway...play safe out there!
    did you report or file a report on this incident? Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MeatHeadEC View Post
    Speaking of hut trip discussions.

I unfortunately have to bail on a trip to Whitecap Alpine Feb 15-22. I picked up an assignment that I need to take.

The group is part of an annual trip we always do at different huts, no kooks here. They're bc savy, and strong skiers. It's guided and catered, I know guided can sometimes be annoying but it's at least with Marty from CAPOW who is a solid and rad dude.

Figured I would bump this thread to see if anyone local is interested. Drop me a PM if interested and we can figure out price.
    Forgot to say this was two spots. Got one PM, and will hit you back now.
    Thanks!
    "Oh this isn't Russia Danny, is this Russia"

Whistler 2019 - 2020

Quote Originally Posted by pembyguy View Post
    did you report or file a report on this incident? Cheers

Done.

Snow was falling hard on the way up tonight. Looking forward to tomorrow!

Done.

Oh and Whitecap with a solid group with guide like that would be sick, someone should jump on that with MeatHeadEC. We had some ... questionable ... skiers when we went and still got into pretty good terrain for early January. Still blows my mind that people who hip turn with their hands in their pockets, lifting inside ski etc. do these kind of trips.
    Back when I used to do a trip every year, I kept running into this one woman who did 3-4 trips a year. She was competent nothing more and apparently had hardly ever skied inbounds. She often struggled in any conditions that weren’t perfect. One of our guides suggested to here she might want to get a season pass some year and ski as much as she could so she would enjoy her trips more.

When I was at Whitecap there was someone similar to that profile, backseat hip turning/lifting inside ski and she blew up her knee (ACL I believe) crashing on a simple slope on the first afternoon warm-up run (which resulted in a small rescue to get her back to the lodge). I'm no rock star, and I don't think you need to be a world cup racer/FWT athlete to ski backcountry, but it blows my mind when people without basic skiing ability spend time in the backcountry, it's not safe IMO.

Gusts at Hosrtman Hut hitting 170-179km/h consistently from 7pm-12am... Peak 150-175 same timeframe. Don't recall seeing >150 gusts sustained before? Alpine is going to be shitkicked.