Page 26 of 132 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast
    Oh Man, bad news. That sucks on both counts.

Glad the lucky kid made it. Hopefully gets to keep all his appendages.
    There's nothing better than sliding down snow, and flying through the air

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS and ASSORTED DRIVAL 19-20

Not that anyone cares, but we just wrapped up a fine week at solitude with a quick diversion Monday to alta and a morning at DV. Don’t laugh, the wife likes it. $209 a day and it was sold out. However, Wednesday and Thursday inbounds at solitude was fine by me. Laps off sunrise, summit and powder horn depending on your hardiness to wind were great. 7 straight days of skiing had me worked. Tough keeping up with my teens.

This is my 30th straight winter in the wasatch and it always delivers one way or another, despite traffic, crowds, smog etc. For the folks local, you are lucky.

Tried to sneak in a morning at Brighton yesterday, but when I turned out of the soli gate 2 in the am yesterday, I was greeted by an atv and employee with a lot closed sign. Instead my boys and I grabbed some snowshoes and hiked up to Brighton shit show from solitude village. All in all a great week. We will be back in two weeks for MLK weekend.

Retirement plans to spend a couple of months in the wasatch are calling harder each year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

$209 each for DV? Holy shit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Yep. I'm in the same boat as NCSkier with a wife who loves it. Coming out Prez weekend with the nephews. Know it will be a zoo, so we went ahead and bought tickets for Saturday at DV last night. Holy sticker shock.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post

Fortunately or unfortunately, our solitude passes have been converted to and now are ikon so the 5 days at DV sort of pay for the pass. Wife will use all 5 days and with me and kids at $836 per day, it only takes 3 days to pay for the unlimited ikon pass. They did switch to rfid finally so you just walk up to the lift and ski.
    They did not appear to hit the limits of price elasticity yet.

found a black winter hat on top of short swing, and a smart wool bottom up on wasatch blvd near olympus trailhead.

skiing and outfitting myself inn the wasatch!

good to be back, can't wait for monday forward,

Sounds like the canyons have been busy the last few days. Gonna spin some laps at the bird tomorrow afternoon if anyone wants to meet up!

Beehive 210 hoodlum hoodie

I keep seeing these hoodies with the 210 beehive highway sign on them, anyone know where to score one?

^ check the river 2 yrs from now. buy then.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    Fortunately or unfortunately, our solitude passes have been converted to and now are ikon so the 5 days at DV sort of pay for the pass. Wife will use all 5 days and with me and kids at $836 per day, it only takes 3 days to pay for the unlimited ikon pass. They did switch to rfid finally so you just walk up to the lift and ski.
    They did not appear to hit the limits of price elasticity yet.

witch is why i asked our esteemed, economic consultant to run some macro numbers.

my gut tells me we'll all be walking uphill.

what say shefftz?

we all care btw.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Tree well. SLC local. Went out for one more run when his Mom, wife, and three young kids stayed in the GMD saloon. RIP & Condolences to the family and everyone affected.
    this was my better 1/2's bosses son
    vibes to their fam such a bright young man with a family
    its not sposed to go down that way and it sucks that it did
    and at the end of the day I try to remind myself just how blessed we are to slide snow covered slopes in pursuit of pleasures.
    been gittin out a bit
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8244 (2).jpg 
Views:	153 
Size:	657.1 KB 
ID:	309212

Name:	IMG_8252 (2).jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	309213
    skied the cardiff side of the mower shoulder yesterday

Name:	IMG_8485 (2).jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	309214

Name:	IMG_8566 (2).JPG 
Views:	156 
Size:	621.0 KB 
ID:	309215

Name:	IMG_8614 (2).jpg 
Views:	155 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	309216
    sun was out enough that off north aspects were creamy on 2 pm exit and probably crusted a bit today
    beatered I haz a fks jig at the man cave here you can use or will be @ l9 millcreek this afternoon and could drill mark or mount for ya
    ate oh 1 six tree one fifteener niner sevens
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Found it... sr210gear dot com
    seems like someone just printing basic hoodies. hmm

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    this was my better 1/2's bosses son
    vibes to their fam such a bright young man with a family
    its not sposed to go down that way and it sucks that it did
    and at the end of the day I try to remind myself just how blessed we are to slide snow covered slopes in pursuit of pleasures.
    QFT
    Hard to imagine outliving one's offspring.
    Not the natural order of things.
    That fella's time was done.
    The boys that found him had noticed his skis sticking out the run before.
    He'd been down a while.
    Wasn't there, but the crew performed CPR for an hour and a half.
    Above and beyond.
    Vibes.
    Time spent skiing cannot be deducted from one's life.

Jesus, I can't imagine 1.5 hours of CPR.

This afternoon at brighton didn't suck.

im sure you probably knows
    but my ist responder respect is off the charts
    the dealing with death part is something im not real well wired to deal with
    we skied out of spruces to a sigs suicide a few seasons ago and it still bugs me
    im comin to ski you this week/end
    Sheldon wants to candidate
    I told him hes got the gumption and passion
    but cant sniff a fart let alone find hidden food.
    thanks again and thank the crew
    that family is life long skiers and their stay at alta was/is a yearly tradition
    they know we all know the dangers and all anyone can ask is for those dangers to attempt to be lessened and damn good highly trained people have
    the abilities to attempt to render potential life saving aid
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

1.5 hrs is heroic. Although shit happens and can happen to any one of us out there I have some respite in the fact we have pros like TFW and their crews looking out for us
    Last edited by happytimefunbox; 01-06-2020 at 08:40 AM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

It has been a great year so far in the Wasatch with above normal snowfall to this point, I have had some fun days at Snowbird! Click HERE for a link to the Western US percent of normal snow water equivalent map.

One interesting thing that continues to bug me is Snowbirds over hyped snowfall reports. In this Snow Conditions and Weather thread https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...her-Discussion I started to track Snowbird and Alta snow reports to confirm my suspicion.

Today Snowbird is reporting 8" new in the last 24 hrs which is suspicious when Alta is reporting 4". Anyone ski/skiing Snowbird today with a report?
    Last edited by SLCUTAH; 01-06-2020 at 11:27 AM.

I've never heard this before....

I'm 100% positive there is no conspiracy that the Bird overreports snow levels.
    The report is based upon automated stations on the mountain.
    I am pretty sure you can find those same stations on the web and track it yourself.
    There are differences in microclimates (wind mainly, elevation, aspect, etc) between the bird and alta snow reporting locations that may influence those numbers
    And then there may be human error moving numbers from the stations to the website/twitter update.

But there is no conspiracy.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post

I am pretty sure you can find those same stations on the web and track it yourself.
    There are differences in microclimates (wind mainly, elevation, aspect, etc) between the bird and alta snow reporting locations that may influence those numbers
    And then there may be human error moving numbers from the stations to the website/twitter update.

Snowbird tends to pick the stake with the highest total on a daily basis. They have multiple stations around the mtn.

Alta reports from the snow plot. Always the same place. There are different stations (top of collins, etc) that you can track yourself hourly, but far as I know, Alta reports (on the web page) from the same place every time.

Name:	20200106-00.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	1.56 MB 
ID:	309359

new to me this am, took this one in the dark and hiked back up. it goes a lot longer than it looks... due north skiing great

Name:	20200106-01.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	309360

the more E you got in aspect, the more there was a little crust... not enough to mess the skiing up but it did keep your eyes open

Name:	20200106-02.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.15 MB 
ID:	309361

9k ridgelines had some pretty noticeable evidence of those winds we had, skinner blown out in a number of places too

Name:	20200106-03.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	793.2 KB 
ID:	309362

There are two publicly available automated snow stakes in little cottonwood, the Alta Collins study plot at 9662' and the Snowbird snotel site at 9177'. I do know of two automated snow stakes at Snowbird (one at the top of Gad 2 and one at the bottom of the Upper Silver Fox run) not available to the public, they may have others. Link the a 30 ish hr time lapse of the Snowbird snowstake cam at the top of Gad 2 makes the 8" report today very suspicious!

When I forecasted the weather for Weathernet our main contract in Utah was UDOT, I would forecast snow for the UDOT snow safety group in the cottonwoods. I have looked at all available snowfall information for the last 30+ years in little cottonwood in addition to skiing in the canyon for 30+ years. Snowbird snow reports just don't add up in recent years, I did not notice this back in the 80's,90's, 00's but have for the last several years.
    Last edited by SLCUTAH; 01-06-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by happytimefunbox View Post

as a profesional snow numbers cruncher im positive and bennyfits doubt
    woodwards under reporting
    like nothins since xmass
    im going to have to investigate
    whose with me
    #tfwjibsinredcoats

Fun day in UC.

Sent from my SM-G975U using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Snowbird tends to pick the stake with the highest total on a daily basis. They have multiple stations around the mtn.
    I'm pretty sure you are wrong about this.
    I think they use the snowbird snowtel for their reporting.
    But I will consult my spancer to be sure and get back with you.

If the difference between 4 and 8 inches is the call to ski or not to ski.
    Fuck you should move to the east coast and then start bitching about snow cause then there'd be something to bitch about!

Woodward only needs a little snow to jib rails and huck carcass.
    they send the rest to to snowbird so they can inflate their snow totals.
    Bunny Don't Surf