Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Flat light above treeline requires full attention and proper goggles. Snow looks great; love those kind of conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    https://youtu.be/h_D3VFfhvs4

Figuring out mobile, sorry for the jank link.
    Yeah, I needed some good MJ. Thanks.

You guys run into SuPu?

It was really good for a really short time.

Got up to the mountain early on Sunday so I could get a parking spot up close, and for the first time in days the lighting was good and no overcast!
    I was out the door of CL by 8:45 a.m. and took ch 16 to ch 5 to McCoy to the top. It looked sweet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1087 2.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	307403
    As I was traversing over to the face of ch 3 I stopped and took a picture of Climax. Time was 9:05 a.m.

Name:	IMG_1088 2.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	916.7 KB 
ID:	307404
    Due to the flat light conditions the previous couple of days I hadn't skied Climax, so I made it my first run off the top. Sections of Climax are good, other not so good due to wind rippage. Hint-look for the smooth places. These three lines skied well, but you can see in between them it sucked. Don't change lines mid run.

Did one more on Climax, then headed over to Dave's which has had great snow all week and today you could see. But that was about to change.

Name:	IMG_1089.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	431.4 KB 
ID:	307405
    Looking back up Dave's at 9:48 a.m. Literally as I'm skating out to Dave's here it comes, gray skies and clouds. Got in a great wind buffed run on the skiers right of Daves as the light went flat. And it didn't get any better. Sections of the Top are really good with smooth, wind buff conditions, but it's not seamless. So as the light dims it get harder to see those occasional coral head bumps, which sucks when your going fast.

Oh well, I got in three good runs while I could see, then cruised the lower mtn until noon as the clouds and winds continued to build and I called it a day.
    I rolled out of town and back to Reno just before 6:00 on Sunday and it was starting to snow hard. 395 North had chain controls from 203 North past Bridgeport. I took the Smith Valley cutoff and it was raining by the time I hit Minden. Looks like the ski patrol sight is showing almost 10" of new snow so tomorrow could be fun. Ski safe and Merry Christmas.

Agree w/ above. Only thing to add was Wipe Out 2/3 was skiing really well as well from the wind buffage.
    He who has the most fun wins!

Skied from Thurs through Monday and it was a blast. I will concur that the buff on Dave's was awesome.

For those that are thinking about going, get up there! We won't be back until the first weekend in January.
    Last edited by Long duc dong; 12-25-2019 at 09:58 AM.

I'm not sure if the ESide BC thread is rolling this year yet, but FYI the pack is pretty thin. We skied above VA Lakes today and hit rocks up to 11k. The bottoms of the lines were so thin that we just took our skis off and walked. What a contrast with Tahoe!

Sent from my LG-US998 using TGR Forums mobile app
    ride bikes, climb, ski, travel, cook, work to fund former, repeat.

On the other hand, Red Cone was phenomenal this afternoon and Earthquake Dome skied amazingly well two days ago. There seems to be a lot more snow right near Mammoth than the rest of the Eastside.

Yesterday was a nearly all-time good Hemlocks session and this morning had surprise boot deep pow in Upper Dry Creek and Huevos. The mountain is skiing so well right now and somehow there haven’t been crowds.

Name:	IMG_3401.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	307682

Gonna be in Mammoth for the upcoming week with my family! Looking forward to it but also know it could be a holiday sh*t show on the hill.... In any case, looking for suggestions on where to get a good breakfast burritos, coffee, and any brewery I should hit. Also, any suggestions on a good sled hill for the kids?
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Business definitely picked up on Friday, but overall it didn't seem that crowded once you moved away from the base chairs. I skied right on to chairs with no lift lines at all, especially later in the day. Sun was out but a howling North East wind was ripping over the top with a wind chill up high of -3 deg.

Name:	IMG_1113 3.jpg 
Views:	98 
Size:	1.04 MB 
ID:	307934
    Gondola 2 never opened due to the wind, leaving Dave's un skied.

Name:	IMG_1114 3.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	798.2 KB 
ID:	307932
    Paranoids with winds blowing uphill hard all day.

Name:	IMG_1117.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	307933
    Chair 23 managed to stay running all day even as wind gusts were hitting 70+ mph over the Top. Ribbons of good wind blown snow could be found in Wipe Out 1 and lower Drop Outs. Full face coverage was mandatory. Another area that skied really well in the afternoon was after getting off 23 ski straight off the back, over the summer road i.e. due West and down to ch 14. It was where all the wind was blowing the snow to.

Name:	IMG_0562.jpg 
Views:	97 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	307935
    Top of Ch 12 with some heavy winds! Lower down in the tree's, the cold temps kept the powder left over from yesterday super fun to ski. Dress warm.

Quote Originally Posted by TheK12 View Post
    Gonna be in Mammoth for the upcoming week with my family! Looking forward to it but also know it could be a holiday sh*t show on the hill.... In any case, looking for suggestions on where to get a good breakfast burritos, coffee, and any brewery I should hit. Also, any suggestions on a good sled hill for the kids?
    Stella Brewer for coffee and breakfast burritos (between Kitteridge and Chevron station.) There is a tubing park on the way to main lodge. I dont know about sled hills per se, but I always seen a ton of people out sledding on a hill on the west side of 395 a bit north of the 203 junction.

Two breweries in town, Mammoth Brewing (also has food) and Black Doubt, both have a good selection. June Lake Brewery if you are there (June is a good place to take kids skiing and avoid a bit of the shit show that can be Mammoth during holidays.) If you are coming or going to/from Mammoth from the south, then Mountain Rambler Brewery in Bishop is worth a stop. Bishop is also an option to get out of Mammoth for a day...Law's railroad museum or Five Bridges Rd petroglyphs.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

That uphill wind can be brutal. You end up skiing against the grain on all those little wind ridges.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Stella Brewer for coffee and breakfast burritos (between Kitteridge and Chevron station.) There is a tubing park on the way to main lodge. I dont know about sled hills per se, but I always seen a ton of people out sledding on a hill on the west side of 395 a bit north of the 203 junction.

Two breweries in town, Mammoth Brewing (also has food) and Black Doubt, both have a good selection. June Lake Brewery if you are there (June is a good place to take kids skiing and avoid a bit of the shit show that can be Mammoth during holidays.) If you are coming or going to/from Mammoth from the south, then Mountain Rambler Brewery in Bishop is worth a stop. Bishop is also an option to get out of Mammoth for a day...Law's railroad museum or Five Bridges Rd petroglyphs.
    Awesome! Thanks for the info!
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Can't find it searching...a buddy is looking for advice. What bootfitters are recommended in the Mammoth area?

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Can't find it searching...a buddy is looking for advice. What bootfitters are recommended in the Mammoth area?
    I like Sure Foot. Ask for Todd. Foot Loose is another good option.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Actually, three breweries in town. Mammoth, Distant(formerly Black Doubt, moved to old police station) and Shelter(also a distillery, located in the village).

I didn't know they brewed beer at the distillery, I will check it out. Also didn't know Black Doubt changed, I was there pretty recently. Will check that out as well, always hated the old place.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    I like Preston at Kitteridge. I have used him several times. Heard good about Cory at Footloose (but bad things about others there.)

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    I like Sure Foot. Ask for Todd. Foot Loose is another good option.

Huge fan of Todd and Surefoot in Mammoth. They have done amazing work for me. I ski about 40 days a year and the foam liners they have done for me last about 6 years at that rate. I got boots and liners from them last year and I would have a hard time going anywhere else.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by Skeeze View Post
    On the other hand, Red Cone was phenomenal this afternoon and Earthquake Dome skied amazingly well two days ago. There seems to be a lot more snow right near Mammoth than the rest of the Eastside.

Yesterday was a nearly all-time good Hemlocks session and this morning had surprise boot deep pow in Upper Dry Creek and Huevos. The mountain is skiing so well right now and somehow there haven’t been crowds.

Name:	IMG_3401.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	223.6 KB 
ID:	307682
    Any other front country near Mammoth that’s got good coverage?

Did this rain event warm up hit down there?

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Did this rain event warm up hit down there?
    No rain event down here today. There was good to very good skiing and light crowds. Started the new year right and skied bell to bell with my kid. Longest we waited in line was maybe five minutes at best, and skied right on to Ch 23 everytime. Groomers were good first thing and as the winds increased throughout the morning sections of the Top started to turn on. Here's a screen shot from the patrol page of the wind speeds over the summit.

Name:  Top winds new years day.JPG
Views: 1847
Size:  95.2 KB
    The wind machine kicked into high gear as wind gust went from 27 mph to 66 mph in just over 3.5 hours. If you ski Mammoth much you all know the deal, follow the wind. Snow conditions on Climax, Upper Dry Creek, lower Drop Outs and Wipe Out area filled in and buffed out. Skiing was really good. Unfortunately it was a little too much of a good thing as first 23, then G2 went on wind hold for the rest of the day. Bummer. Still lots of good skiing on the lower mtn. Face of Ch 3, Dry Creek skied well. The backside chairs stayed running all day so we did circuit laps from ch 12 to ch 14 and skied the Paranoids, Scotty's, and traversed out under ch 23, then back down to ch 12 and repeated for the rest of the day. Very fun day.

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	1,010.3 KB 
ID:	308753
    View Daves late in the day from top of Ch 5 with the wind working its magic.

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg 
Views:	290 
ID:	308754
    Got to Thai'd Up at the perfect time, walked right in and ordered, and watched a cool sunset as we waited for our order.

Now on a less than positive note...;;;Winds have gone 180 degrees and are currently ripping up slope from the North East at 70+ mph. So all that wind blown snow that filled in the Top today may be gone by tomorrow. Also, you couldn't tell when skiing up high in the wind today, but the temps spiked up to 50 degrees at Eagle today and the snow down at Canyon had a spring like slush feel to it at the end of the day. Wasn't expecting that. Things could be a bit firm in the Canyon/Eagle area in the morning. Might be time for a tune. Happy New Year and enjoy the Mtn.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastern Sierra Skier View Post
    No rain event down here today. There was good to very good skiing and light crowds. Started the new year right and skied bell to bell with my kid. Longest we waited in line was maybe five minutes at best, and skied right on to Ch 23 everytime. Groomers were good first thing and as the winds increased throughout the morning sections of the Top started to turn on. Here's a screen shot from the patrol page of the wind speeds over the summit.

Name:  Top winds new years day.JPG
Views: 1847
Size:  95.2 KB
    The wind machine kicked into high gear as wind gust went from 27 mph to 66 mph in just over 3.5 hours. If you ski Mammoth much you all know the deal, follow the wind. Snow conditions on Climax, Upper Dry Creek, lower Drop Outs and Wipe Out area filled in and buffed out. Skiing was really good. Unfortunately it was a little too much of a good thing as first 23, then G2 went on wind hold for the rest of the day. Bummer. Still lots of good skiing on the lower mtn. Face of Ch 3, Dry Creek skied well. The backside chairs stayed running all day so we did circuit laps from ch 12 to ch 14 and skied the Paranoids, Scotty's, and traversed out under ch 23, then back down to ch 12 and repeated for the rest of the day. Very fun day.

Name:	IMG_1146.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	1,010.3 KB 
ID:	308753
    View Daves late in the day from top of Ch 5 with the wind working its magic.

Name:	IMG_1148.jpg 
Views:	290 
ID:	308754
    Got to Thai'd Up at the perfect time, walked right in and ordered, and watched a cool sunset as we waited for our order.

Now on a less than positive note...;;;Winds have gone 180 degrees and are currently ripping up slope from the North East at 70+ mph. So all that wind blown snow that filled in the Top today may be gone by tomorrow. Also, you couldn't tell when skiing up high in the wind today, but the temps spiked up to 50 degrees at Eagle today and the snow down at Canyon had a spring like slush feel to it at the end of the day. Wasn't expecting that. Things could be a bit firm in the Canyon/Eagle area in the morning. Might be time for a tune. Happy New Year and enjoy the Mtn.

Quick 10:00 a.m. update. ...Noticeably more crowded today. Full maze on ch 3, crunchy snow in the ch 9 area. Working my way over to ch 23. In a good note the East winds are dropping quickly. G2 just started to spin.

Mammoth still skied great today but definitely getting firmer and styro-foamy in spots, which is still a good thing but not as good as the last 3 days.

Thanks all for the coffee and beer tips! Mammoth is awesome and will be definitely making the effort to come back.

Mammoth is still skiing well, but finding good snow off the Top you have to look for it a bit more. Snow has firmed up with the East winds on it the last few days. Yesterday was the first day this season i saw some long distance sliders off the top. Best one was a lady that went top to bottom down Scotty’s.

Name:	5684BCCE-265A-437E-A8B7-3B364B8A9A12.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	653.9 KB 
ID:	308937
    Climax.

Name:	3DA58DE8-C32A-46A4-A79F-27289E9E3E83.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	623.7 KB 
ID:	308939
    A rare sight. A non powder day full maze on 23 yesterday. Business is good.
    Winds are forecast to build later in the day from the West. Hopefully that pushes some softer snow back into the top.