Page 29 of 165 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    AM residents still complaining about the Gazex. If you don't like noise don't build or buy in an avalanche area.
    https://www.sierrasun.com/news/local...regular-usage/

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    AM residents still complaining about the Gazex. If you don't like noise don't build or buy in an avalanche area.
    No kidding

Sent from my Armor_3 using Tapatalk

The Official 19/20 Tahoe Ski Snowboard Thread. Plus bonus Bootfitting Recs!

Deleted

they managed before the gazex were installed. this is a cost (and potentially life) saving move but there's nothing wrong with public scrutiny especially when it seems to be pretty overwhelming. Picture the place where you live (and most likely invested a million dollhares, at least) becoming a nightmare for your pets overnight because of a change in how the area mitigates avalanche hazard. you're gonna complain.
    Personally I love the sound. it's like napalm in the morning. But maybe some disagreement can lead to improvement
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    they managed before the gazex were installed.
    But not very well. Lots of new garage doors all the time on Alpine Meadows road. I get that a little noise here or there can be annoying, but talk about missing the forest for the trees.

+1 for KW. Took two runs with the 8 yr old. Started late. Around 10:40. One lap in Pali Bowl and one lap in Eagle. Deep lightly cut powder for both. Shoulder still in socket is a plus. There sure seemed to be more than 6”. There was at least 8 on my car.

Still have not made it out to the backside.

And if your the guy who cursed at an 8yr old and 11 ur old for stepping down off the traverse, because they lost speed and did what they could to let you by, get a fucking life.

That was almost as cool as speeding up to 80mph to pass one car in the caravan going down 88. Chill out speedsters. Traffic was going 50-60 and the line of cars was endless.

If I want to complain about Vail, it would be the dumb ass patrons it attracts out to the valley. Too many kooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post

That was almost as cool as speeding up to 80mph to pass one car in the caravan going down 88. Chill out speedsters. Traffic was going 50-60 and the line of cars was endless.

If I want to complain about Vail, it would be the dumb ass patrons it attracts out to the valley. Too many kooks.
    The same can be said about the Ikon pass... I can deal with the crowded resorts (since it does bring my cost of skiing down) but the cluelessness on the road is at a new level. Driving down I80 yesterday afternoon, some idiot was holding traffic up because he was driving 40mph in full chains while everybody else was going 70 down a completely dry highway.
    The K-12 dude. You make a gnarly run like that and girls will get sterile just looking at you - Charles De Mar

Can confirm that Squaw was better than expected yesterday. Surf season has kept me out of the mountains so far this season but god damn is it good to be back on KT for bluebird pow.
    Three fundamentals of every extreme skier, total disregard for personal saftey, amphetamines, and lots and lots of malt liquor......-jack handy

^^^^ I guess it helps that surf season is over for me. Tried to surf Monday and my shoulder popped back out on my very first wave. Text book take off and pop up and it was out. Ended up belly riding to the sand. Can’t imagine the issues I’d have if it was bigger surf. Fuck that until this thing is solidly in. So I guess it just means I need to ski more.

Too bad as the surf season is prime right now. So fucking good down here this last week.

+1 for KW. Took two runs with the 8 yr old. Started late. Around 10:40. One lap in Pali Bowl and one lap in Eagle. Deep lightly cut powder for both. Shoulder still in socket is a plus. There sure seemed to be more than 6”. There was at least 8 on my car.

Still have not made it out to the backside.

And if your the guy who cursed at an 8yr old and 11 ur old for stepping down off the traverse, because they lost speed and did what they could to let you by, get a fucking life.

Ah, the Kirkwood douche factor is in full force this season. Not my favorite part of skiing there but if it is an option hitting the side country fixes the problem.

Also, 88 driving is super frustrating. It’s either what you described with a few idiots passing an endless caravan of cars or an empty road where people won’t pull over when they are driving slow or a pile up when it snows.

Thanks for all the stoke. Backcountry especially looks $$$. Stay safe out there.

I think I was passed by the same idiot on the way down 88. Fool was passing on a double yellow up a blind hill.. so stupid. I got popped by CHP for doing it last year (not on a blind hill though) and learned my lesson. Can't forget that dude who got killed a year or so ago on 267 by a kook who was passing on a double yellow, just be patient, there is nothing but more cars in front of you!

Stayed on KT all day yesterday...so fun and my first real day of skiing. First few laps on Oly lady provided the pow fun factor, then smashed my nose on a ice mogul, but then rebounded with some Aleve and a beer and kept charging. Chute 75 upper middle knuckle was $$$ at even 1pm! Finished the day with high speed West Face laps and Mountain Run with the 3 year old. Caution - the snow guns on Mountain Run blew snowmaking residue uphill into the below the Alternates and the snow is super funky.

BUT I HAVE THE INCOME TO HAVE A SECOND HOME AND MY NIMBY-ISM FROM THE BAY IS ABSOLUTE WHEN YOU'RE SCARING MY TINY RAT DOG.
    TLDR; Ski faster. Quit breathing. Don't crash.

Opened backside emigrant. Pretty sick

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	59822027478__EADAFA9A-44E6-4EC4-A7CE-52A79E82E434.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	275.4 KB 
ID:	306393Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0075.JPG 
Views:	111 
Size:	170.1 KB 
ID:	306394

Name:	IMG_0076.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	364.7 KB 
ID:	306395
    Last edited by 4matic; 12-17-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hercule33 View Post
    Ah, the Kirkwood douche factor is in full force this season. .
    Saw this on Saturday when we were leaving. It was twice as far away then. Pretty sure it was for his #Insta...Why else would you be so DUMB!

Great weekend to be alive! Ottime twas me that shouted PROPS for taking the wee lads into the promised lands of Pali.

Scored First Chair on the backside on Saturday and left the Kiddo with Grandma (so that was nice)...Skied with the kiddo on Sunday morning and still managed 3 sweet Pali laps since everybody was heading the other direction (still VERY NICE!)

Floaty Cream Cheese on Saturday and Cold BLOWER on Sunday.

Name:	Stupid Fu^&s.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	306397
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20191215_085201.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.03 MB 
ID:	306396  
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

^^^^ maggots rule. It was a bit of a pick me up after seeing them yelled at. And the littles were stoked out in the promised land. Deepest run of the weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by MashedPotatoes View Post
    I think I was passed by the same idiot on the way down 88. Fool was passing on a double yellow up a blind hill.. so stupid. I got popped by CHP for doing it last year (not on a blind hill though) and learned my lesson. Can't forget that dude who got killed a year or so ago on 267 by a kook who was passing on a double yellow, just be patient, there is nothing but more cars in front of you!
    Some years ago driving to AM with the wife a kids on a Saturday, guy passes the usual lineup on SB 89 before SV--about a 1/4 mile line--and cuts in just behind us. We go on to AM, the asshole passes us on a blind curve, ice covered, double yellow. As I pull up next to him in the lot he's putting on a helmet. I told him he should wear the helmet when he's driving, and a few other things. I would have cut him with a broken beer bottle if I'd had one (there usually are a few in the AM lot on a Saturday morning).

I'm cautiously leaving AM lot because I know the first big turn will be icy. The idiot who passed me didn't. The feeling of satisfaction as I passed his car in the ditch would be hard to duplicate without drugs.

Bootfitting Rec's! - Props to Olympic Boot Works in SLT. Good service (& free Beer), better knowledge of their craft than most. I went in for a shell punch and left with a little grind job. No issues with the work completed and have happy feet. On the corner of Ski Run and Pioneer!

And Ottime - I saw plenty of actual gaping on my Pali laps. You guys were not even trying to stay on the high T so no reason to heckle your little man.
    I'm cool with this, as long as you Kirkwood Bro Brah's stay away from Heavenly when 88 closes- TahoeBc

I will never forget the black ice Sunday on hwy88 a few years back...I've never been so nervous driving.

^I was headed down the 88 several years ago and the black ice was crazy.
    Truck jackknifed and cop was letting a few go up then a few go down. Other cop stepped out of car and falls. I get the go ahead and just start sliding sideways into new F150. My POS Durango destroys his door. We both roll down our windows and I say how sorry I am and expect him to freak.
    Guy says “don’t worry, in a hundred years what will it matter?”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Life of a repo man is always intense.

That's crazy. Ice can be nasty.

Past few years Sundays have gotten to be there crowded day of the weekend with vail pass holders lodging in SLT but skiing Sunday at KW. Leads to more traffic, and generally more novice drivers. Some of those drivers do not know they are novices.

NakedShorts - yeah, we were on the bottom traverse when you came by. We were on a low traverse headed out, but they got scolded before the three traverses split. Basically, they were going slow under and past the rock, and were poling through the whoops. I was waiting back, as were a few others, when touch went flying by. They both heard him from like 100 yards way, looked back, and stepped off the traverse, trying to give room, and not get hit.

Dude basically assumed everyone was looking out, instead of waiting to give some kids some space. Hell, I often wait at the hip above Rabbits if I see anyone moving slow on the traverse. I too like to land up high if I'm going for a hike, and it is wroth waiting a second to be sure you are not going to run up behind on someone. Some folks move slow. Shit happens.

The guy that yelled at them was headed toward the high traverse, and actually had to stop before rear ending a troop of three slowly side stepping their way up the high traverse. So he didn't really need all that speed anyway.

I'm just glad he didn't hit me or the kids.

Thanks for the opinion, guy who doesn't have to live with it.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Quote Originally Posted by lepistoir View Post
    Thanks for the opinion, guy who doesn't have to live with it.
    You'r welcome, guy who chose to live with it.

I've never tried snorting Aleve, but I bet it works better than rubbing it on my sore knee.
    Sunday at Squaw was amazing. Not sure how we kept finding great snow but it was everywhere (mostly upper mountain) and the lines were not ridiculous although 89 was slow all the way from Truckee at 8:45. It was only 6-8" but it skied plenty deep and there were even a few stashes that elicited a powder woop. Granite, Emigrant and headwall are all ready (reverse traverse was open) but they don't have the J-1s yet that they need to cover all the lifts. Granite opening this week will be sick unless there's a big warm up with the midweek system. Ski traverses and single-lane highways make passing pointless because you just get stuck behind the next guy. If you want to make up any significant amount of time, like 5 minutes on a 20-minute drive -or 30 on a 3-hour one- you have to drive very fast and take a lot of risks the whole way. Most likely tho, you'll end up waiting at a stoplight or parking while the guy you passed pulls up next to you, much more relaxed than you. Drive slower and ski faster.
    Even sometimes when I'm snowboarding I'm like "Hey I'm snowboarding! Because I suck dick, I'm snowboarding!" --Dan Savage

Is there a way to bookmark this thread so the link shortcuts to the *last* page in the thread?