Page 90 of 134 FirstFirst ... 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 3330
    Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    new Shift guy here, mounting first pair.

I read about the minor toe gap after proper installation. By my heal plates seem to not sit flush, almost like they're ever so slightly convex. If the plastic wasn't so rigid I'd think I could just muscle them flush with the screws, but yea, they are stiff and I doubt it'll flatten out.

Anyone else see this?
    Is it only behind the heel? I’ve got two mounts and all four heels do that.

Ok weird question. I was looking at the shop manual for the shifts and they have the Atomic version listed as 5-13 DIN, and the others as 6-13. That has to be a typo right? No reason that the Atomics would have a different spring in them and all the reps say there is no difference between Soli/Atomic/Armada

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Ok weird question. I was looking at the shop manual for the shifts and they have the Atomic version listed as 5-13 DIN, and the others as 6-13. That has to be a typo right? No reason that the Atomics would have a different spring in them and all the reps say there is no difference between Soli/Atomic/Armada
    I have the Atomic version and the smallest number is 6.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    I have the Atomic version and the smallest number is 6.
    Thanks. That’s what I thought. One of the shop techs didn’t believe me, so now I can point to the internet as proof of my victory

Has anyone else had this issue while touring? I'm unsure if there could be a issue with this particular binding or if it was just icing somwhere in the binding.

I don't think there was any ice in the inserts, atleast I couldn't get any out myself (hard to be sure when touring alone, wasn't keen on taking my boots off). The problem persisted for a while after I took both boots and skis inside back home, but it seems to be more or less gone now.

Not sure if it is the same issue (I just bought mine and haven't toured yet) but the shop tech discribed a similar problem. He thinks it is ice in the toe piece and you just need to take the boot out and cycle through the lock a few times.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Had that happen once. Took the boot out so that the wings could close further, and cycled the toe a couple times. That cleared out whatever was causing it.

Yeah, this happened to me last year in deep fairly dry snow. Same solution. Cycling the toe a few times (boot out) and a hard smack on the base underneath the toe piece at transitions solved the problem. Now I do that by habit and haven't had the issue show again.

Quote Originally Posted by comish View Post
    Yep. New owners, new insurance. Likely feel like they have to abide by the letter of the law due to liability.
    Been a long time since this sub-series of posts, but I thought I would weigh in. Anythi g remotely your oriented go to Mammoth Mountaineering. Pure alpine I have had good luck with Kitteridge. I avoid Footloose. Cory is a good boot fitter, bi
    ut most of the others are not. Friend had skis mounted at Footloose. First they required he have both boots for the mount (first and only time I've seen that), then he wanted the boot midline 4cm from mark, and they mounted 4 inches. I was there, so I know the instructions were clear. He picked them up the next day and whine we were on thrift I asked why his 10cm looked her skis then mine were shorter toe to tip. That is when we discovered the error. Man, those suckers sure turned quick, but talk about tip dive The worse part about it was when he we t back to Footloose they just blew him off with "too bad". The did remount the bindings, but now his brand new skis has two sets of holes.

So yeah, not I'm a Footloose fan boi.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by lucknau View Post
    Is it only behind the heel? I’ve got two mounts and all four heels do that.
    After mounting everything up it's on both heels, and so minor I have no concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by WhetherMan View Post
    Yeah, this happened to me last year in deep fairly dry snow. Same solution. Cycling the toe a few times (boot out) and a hard smack on the base underneath the toe piece at transitions solved the problem. Now I do that by habit and haven't had the issue show again.
    Hmm. I went out again today, and I had the same problem once again with the same binding (the other one of the pair is just fine). Tried all of the above, without any luck.

I'm now in contact with Salomon's customer service, so we'll se what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Been a long time since this sub-series of posts, but I thought I would weigh in. Anythi g remotely your oriented go to Mammoth Mountaineering. Pure alpine I have had good luck with Kitteridge. I avoid Footloose. Cory is a good boot fitter, bi
    ut most of the others are not. Friend had skis mounted at Footloose. First they required he have both boots for the mount (first and only time I've seen that), then he wanted the boot midline 4cm from mark, and they mounted 4 inches. I was there, so I know the instructions were clear. He picked them up the next day and whine we were on thrift I asked why his 10cm looked her skis then mine were shorter toe to tip. That is when we discovered the error. Man, those suckers sure turned quick, but talk about tip dive The worse part about it was when he we t back to Footloose they just blew him off with "too bad". The did remount the bindings, but now his brand new skis has two sets of holes.

So yeah, not I'm a Footloose fan boi.
    A good rule of thumb: anytime you're getting bindings mounted anywhere but on the recommended line, make sure it's actually written down on the slip. Between this and some other things I've heard lately, sounds like Footloose has really gone downhill in recent years.

Day 1 on my Shifts. Shop mounted. Heavy pow and groomers. Many prereleases in the soft stuff. Dialed in the forward pressure so that it is just inboard of the arrowed line. More prereleases - turned up DIN from 9 to 11. One final prerelease at 11 DIN.

From GregL and westoxified's posts, sounds like I should dial back the FP a touch, and turn up my DIN to 13.

I've never pre-released in my life like I did my first day on Shifts. User error? Sounds like others have had similar prerelease issues.
    sproing!

Have you checked the toe height after a couple of runs?

Quote Originally Posted by lemonhead View Post
    Have you checked the toe height after a couple of runs?
    I did - it was fine, but I will check again. Thanks for suggesting.
    sproing!

The Official Salomon S/Lab SHIFT MNC Thread -AMA

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    I did - it was fine, but I will check again. Thanks for suggesting.
    The heel elasticity is pretty minimal, so any amount of snow on the boot heel or in the brake mechanism will affect the prerelease problem. I suspect that its possible some boots are going to prerelease easier due to where their heel platforms fall within the ISO spec, but haven’t verified that yet.

Have you read LeeLau’s big article on dialing in the Shift to avoid its quirks? It’ll save you a shit ton of reading, if you haven’t committed the last several hundred pages if this thread to memory.

Search for the "SHIFT ISSUES" header in this article:
    https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...n-Atomic-Shift

Lightbulb Looking for Salomon shift demo base plates.

Hi, guys!
    I have seven pairs of skis (it's not good, I know), but only my groomers skis(two pairs) are with Salomon Warden bindings. Other two pairs have SHIFT mounted, and finally- the last two are (for now) naked and I have to mount bindings on them.
    My wondering is can I buy from somewhere a pair of base plates for Salomon Shift Demo and buy just One pair of the full bindings -Demo . So I'll be able to move the bindings between the "new" pairs and it will be budget opportunity. I can't drive both pairs in the same time for sure , why have to buy bindings twice?
    Is anyone have such experience?
    I saw there in Amer sport spare parts catalog there are two base plates models for "all naked products" - L3084250001 and L001173001. Maybe some of them will fit for the SHIFT?

I may be is not bad idea to make custom base plates... Print on 3D from aluminum?
    Any help/idea will be appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by mb58a7; 12-11-2019 at 06:04 AM. Reason: wrong meaning of a sentence

I've spent too much time searching the thread already, so I'm just going to ask now about something I read last year. Some people were having problems with the brakes, I think while climbing. The solution had to do with brake sizing. Were people going for a brake that was larger or smaller than the ski width, and what is the margin of error when sizing the brakes to the ski?

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi View Post
    I've spent too much time searching the thread already, so I'm just going to ask now about something I read last year. Some people were having problems with the brakes, I think while climbing. The solution had to do with brake sizing. Were people going for a brake that was larger or smaller than the ski width, and what is the margin of error when sizing the brakes to the ski?
    The brakes are pretty generously sized, so if you are between sizes, definitely size down. My 100s could easily fit on a 105-108 ski with minimal stretching.

I think the problem when climbing is people weren't wrenching on their brakes until they clicked when switching to uphill mode. I guess if you have too wide of brakes you could also catch them on each other and turn them to ski mode while skinning, but that's never happened to me. I did have one accidental switch to ski mode while skinning, but it was from a very steep sidehill in 12" of pow with a rock hard crust underneath. It was steep enough that the crust hit the brake and flipped it to ski mode. I think that was a pretty unique situation though.

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I think the problem when climbing is people weren't wrenching on their brakes until they clicked when switching to uphill mode. I guess if you have too wide of brakes you could also catch them on each other and turn them to ski mode while skinning, but that's never happened to me. I did have one accidental switch to ski mode while skinning, but it was from a very steep sidehill in 12" of pow with a rock hard crust underneath. It was steep enough that the crust hit the brake and flipped it to ski mode. I think that was a pretty unique situation though.
    No. I clicked them out of the way properly, straight from the car (so no icing issues possible). They still released on me. And I did not snag them.
    I ski 135 degree chutes switch to the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubi View Post
    I have 100mm brakes on 108 width skis and they clear just about perfect. Maybe a little bit of touching the edge for a few uses but shaved off pretty quick and never enough for them to hang up.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Shifterman View Post
    Hi, guys!
    I have seven pairs of skis (it's not good, I know), but only my groomers skis(two pairs) are with Salomon Warden bindings. Other two pairs have SHIFT mounted, and finally- the last two are (for now) naked and I have to mount bindings on them.
    My wondering is can I buy from somewhere a pair of base plates for Salomon Shift Demo and buy just One pair of the full bindings -Demo . So I'll be able to move the bindings between the "new" pairs and it will be budget opportunity. I can't drive both pairs in the same time for sure , why have to buy bindings twice?
    Is anyone have such experience?
    I saw there in Amer sport spare parts catalog there are two base plates models for "all naked products" - L3084250001 and L001173001. Maybe some of them will fit for the SHIFT?

I may be is not bad idea to make custom base plates... Print on 3D from aluminum?
    Any help/idea will be appreciated, thanks!
    I think a lot of people here run their shifts with inserts that allow them to swap skis. Unless you want to move binders back and forth this is probably the best route to go.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    No. I clicked them out of the way properly, straight from the car (so no icing issues possible). They still released on me. And I did not snag them.
    I can't remember - was your solution related to brake sizing? Or a warranty issue?

Quote Originally Posted by kathleenturneroverdrive View Post
    I can't remember - was your solution related to brake sizing? Or a warranty issue?
    It wasn't all the time, but it happened a few times. No solution, and not that big of a deal - I mostly tour on Tectons anyway.