Page 60 of 106 FirstFirst ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... LastLast
Results 1,476 to 1,500 of 2647

Thread: Shiffrin

Man, what a bone headed comment from GOSP.

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofSeasonsPast View Post
    the slalom margin will probably continue to shrink even if she stays healthy with young knees.
    Dumbass said this in March 2018.
    Nothing this fucking bushwhacker says is even remotely correct.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Guess it's just a matter of time before people start saying Woman is sexist since man is part of that name!
    The pacifists always lose, because the anti-pacifists kill them.

Quote Originally Posted by AKPogue View Post
    Guess it's just a matter of time before people start saying Woman is sexist since man is part of that name!
    Whoooa-man!

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Man, what a bone headed comment from GOSP.
    Yeah, that was what started pull-up-gate. This thread, Dec 2017. Long discussion on the value of pull-ups to determine if someone is a natural athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Dumbass said this in March 2018.
    Nothing this fucking bushwhacker says is even remotely correct.
    She's a generational talent. There's zero doubt about that.

That being said, the women's field is somewhat weak (compared to the men) outside of a select few so competition isn't "strong" relative to what it has been historically.

That being said, I still don't think there will be anyone who can truly push her, day in and day out, because she's that talented.

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    She's a generational talent. There's zero doubt about that.

That being said, the women's field is somewhat weak (compared to the men) outside of a select few so competition isn't "strong" relative to what it has been historically.

That being said, I still don't think there will be anyone who can truly push her, day in and day out, because she's that talented.
    holdener, vlhova & goggia?

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Exactly. There is great competition, it's just that it's for all the spots below Shiffrin. She's up by 1.5 or whatever, and the next ~5 spots are closely grouped. She holds the record margin at 3.07 for example.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

As I said, a select few.

Holdener is good, but she's never won a SL race. She's really well-rounded (evidence by her status as world champ in the SC) but she's a step below Mikaela in most disciplines.

Vlhova can push Mikaela on her best days/Mikaela's off days but that's it. And she's never going to push her for the overall if she doesn't start skiing speed or become more consistent with her GS.

Goggia is coming off a few injuries so we'll see if she can return to prior form. Don't forget, Lara Gut hurt herself and hasn't been the same since.

I'm not saying there are talented women in the field, but who do you realistically expect to challenge her on a consistent basis?

Well, those three...but it does often seem to be a scramble for second.
    They just seem to be mere tenths away (SL excepted, tho vlhova is really close most slalom races). MS is becoming faster in speed stuff too now and showing promise of getting better..

Quote Originally Posted by nyskirat View Post
    As I said, a select few.

Holdener is good, but she's never won a SL race. She's really well-rounded (evidence by her status as world champ in the SC) but she's a step below Mikaela in most disciplines.

Vlhova can push Mikaela on her best days/Mikaela's off days but that's it. And she's never going to push her for the overall if she doesn't start skiing speed or become more consistent with her GS.

Goggia is coming off a few injuries so we'll see if she can return to prior form. Don't forget, Lara Gut hurt herself and hasn't been the same since.

I'm not saying there are talented women in the field, but who do you realistically expect to challenge her on a consistent basis?
    Nobody is really challenging her. The issue is, you attribute that in part to the lack of top talent other than her, rather than her being other worldly. I'm not sure whether that is the case. I mean, sure, Holdener doesn't have a slalom win, but she'd have a few if Mikaela wasn't around. And we'd be talking about Vlhova's dominance in slalom if she wasn't around.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

She is just that great. Mentally and physically. There is not a guy that is that 'great' currently.

Nobody really competed against Tiger consistently in his heyday. It's similar imo. I feel like Tiger in his prime would dominate today against the current field. Nobody has risen to top similar to what he did because nobody is as great, especially from a mental perspective.

Holdener, for instance, has the most podiums, man or woman...that’s pretty damn good

It seems like a lot of the older gals are throwing in the towel and thus thinning the field because Shiffrin kind of forces their hand. She is so good. Why risk life altering knee injury when Shiffrin is just going to whoop your ass anyway. Hard to say the field is weak when Shiffrin has been part of shaping the field since her first win in 2012 at the age of 17. If anything they have all had time to study her and still fail to cut into her dominance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Holdener, for instance, has the most podiums, man or woman...that’s pretty damn good
    huh??? You need to check that...
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    huh??? You need to check that...
    i thought i'd remembered it that way, but i was apparently skimming...here's the quote...

"No skier, male or female, has ever had more World Cup podiums in a single discipline without a win."
    https://olympics.nbcsports.com/tag/wendy-holdener/

my bad, not quite the same at all...lol

According to wiki she has 23 slalom podiums without a win. Which really speaks to Mikaela's dominance.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

i thought i'd remembered it that way, but i was apparently skimming...here's the quote...

"No skier, male or female, has ever had more World Cup podiums in a single discipline without a win."
    https://olympics.nbcsports.com/tag/wendy-holdener/

my bad, not quite the same at all...lol
    nah it's all good. She's won in combined and parallel, so the statement isn't accurate either.

Holdener made her World Cup debut in Sölden in October 2010, and attained her first podium in March 2013, a second place in slalom at Ofterschwang. In 2016, she gained her first two World Cup victories and won the crystal globe title in the combined discipline.
    Alice Robinson (18), I got to watch at U16 WR's at Mammoth just 3 yrs ago, now with a WC win in GS. Amazing
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Shifrin's dominance is due in no small part to the hard work she did before getting to the World Cup and her ability to keep working that hard—and figuring out the right things to work on—while on the tour. At the elite level, everyone on the start list is incredibly athletic and performing at a very high level; being at the top of the heap is usually a small (but significant) incremental difference. The chance of anyone in her age cohort being able to gain an edge where she has a significant advantage (based on doing foundational things either a little, or a lot, better, for years) is slim, unless she gives up some of that advantage (due to injury, refocusing on other events, suddenly deciding that she'd rather ski powder than do drills, etc.).

However, there have been a lot of eyes on her and her support team for some years now, and you can bet that there are other people trying to apply lessons from her program to build the next superstar. Figuring out which lessons to apply isn't easy—no two people are the same, and just to pick on one athlete, I doubt Shifrin's program would've worked for Bode—but I'd bet that there are athletes rising through the ranks now that will challenge her in seasons to come.

Quote Originally Posted by anotherVTskibum View Post
    Shifrin's dominance is due in no small part to the hard work she did before getting to the World Cup and her ability to keep working that hard—and figuring out the right things to work on—while on the tour. At the elite level, everyone on the start list is incredibly athletic and performing at a very high level; being at the top of the heap is usually a small (but significant) incremental difference. The chance of anyone in her age cohort being able to gain an edge where she has a significant advantage (based on doing foundational things either a little, or a lot, better, for years) is slim, unless she gives up some of that advantage (due to injury, refocusing on other events, suddenly deciding that she'd rather ski powder than do drills, etc.).

However, there have been a lot of eyes on her and her support team for some years now, and you can bet that there are other people trying to apply lessons from her program to build the next superstar. Figuring out which lessons to apply isn't easy—no two people are the same, and just to pick on one athlete, I doubt Shifrin's program would've worked for Bode—but I'd bet that there are athletes rising through the ranks now that will challenge her in seasons to come.
    This is a good post^^^

it is interesting to see how ski racing has evolved over the last fifty year...

There is so much to appreciate about MS - and her success . . .

Bode drove me crazy. and
    Bode was never interested in the DISCIPLINE which is MS' core.

Bode was an artist - and we Should appreciate that his career spanned almost 20years, two healings ( including his psyche in 2014... ) - and I love that he went out on a magical DNF at BC (!) ;

MS is an artistic engineer : calculated beauty : Ingemar at his Best ( Don't forget : 10/10. FknA )

so.
    pick it apart, but I believe we are seeing the best ski racer of all-time Dominate the 20-teens...

will she continue to have such success in her late 20s... (?)
    Maybe with a modified schedule --
    the speed events break bodies - forever. it does not even require A fall...

MS : salute ! !!!

A fan. tj

Y’all remember the New Yorker article that compared the lifestyles and training differences between miller and the herminator?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Y’all remember the New Yorker article that compared the lifestyles and training differences between miller and the herminator?
    No but I want to read it.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using TGR Forums mobile app

She's the closest thing to a perfect skier I've seen. When others are struggling she still looks like a exquisitely researched and executed video game avatar. Watching guys like Klammer, the Herminator and Bode link together a series of recoveries at 70 mph is beautiful too. But I think the way Shiffren smooths out and attacks snow that has everyone else on the defensive blows my mind even more.

It's a funny comparison, but she reminds me of watching Pedro Martinez at the top of his game. When he had fastball, curve, and his especially insane changeup all working. Apart from being 6'8", left handed and throwing a 90mph slider a la Randy Johnson there wasn't really anything he could have been better at. That's what Shiffrin is like.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    She's the closest thing to a perfect skier I've seen. When others are struggling she still looks like a exquisitely researched and executed video game avatar. Watching guys like Klammer, the Herminator and Bode link together a series of recoveries at 70 mph is beautiful too. But I think the way Shiffren smooths out and attacks snow that has everyone else on the defensive blows my mind even more.

It's a funny comparison, but she reminds me of watching Pedro Martinez at the top of his game. When he had fastball, curve, and his especially insane changeup all working. Apart from being 6'8", left handed and throwing a 90mph slider a la Randy Johnson there wasn't really anything he could have been better at. That's what Shiffrin is like.

This ^^^

tj

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    No but I want to read it.

I think this is it
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...6/twin-peaks-2

Sent from my SPH-L710 using TGR Forums mobile app