Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Lift Line Stupidity

Must be some good stories out there. What have you experienced that’s stupid or crazy?

I mostly avoid lift lines by skiing weekdays, off hours, fleeing to the far lifts, or skiing backcountry.

There comes a day like yesterday when the kids want to go on a weekend and not many lifts are open and everyone is there so there we are in a lift line.

I have no patience for the stupidity that ensues.

Ahead of us in the next line over is a mom and her two pre teen kids. 6 pack lift.

Fail 1:
    They wait for the three in the alternating line to go (they could have merged with them into six, making all of us behind keep moving forward), but no they stay behind.

Fail two,
    the two behind them see the threesome ahead and go her around to merge forward.

Fail three, we merge behind them and then the group that was behind US skates around her cluelessness to merge with another threesome in the next upcoming alternation point.

I cannot take it silently anymore and say “ hey please keep moving and merge forward!”

Her Moronity: “what?”

Me: “ keep moving and merging, you’re messing up the line”

Her; “well there are kids involved”

Me: “what does that have to do with it?”

Fail 4: She misses another merge with a group of three at the last alternation point

Me: “do you guys even want to go?”

Her: “fuck off!” (In front of her kids and mine)

Nice!

And yes, in retrospect I should have just split our group and gone around in front of clueless lady after her first fail, but WTF??

What should you do about this kind of shit? Just cut in front of them?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by Kinnikinnick; 11-17-2019 at 11:35 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

You need to relax. Kooks do kooky things...

Skiing in mid November with you kids is supposed to be mellow and some families with kids need a little extra time and/or space.

I would have my kids fight her kids so everyone could learn something.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    Yup.

Totally missed a teachable moment.
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    the situation strikes me as WAY too much drama at this point

Get off my lawn

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Get off my lawn
    Well yeah, you saw the sign didn’t you?

Lift Line Stupidity

How about lift stupidity? Rode a chair at Copper with a chick and her dude doing an 5 minute long Instagram story and photo shoot for her followers. It was the douchiest thing I’ve seen for quite awhile.

Quote Originally Posted by One (+) Sentence View Post
    You need to relax. Kooks do kooky things...

Skiing in mid November with you kids is supposed to be mellow and some families with kids need a little extra time and/or space.
    This is the right answer.
    I'd like to amend my response, THIS is the right answer.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I was skiing at Bachelor and was loading on to a high speed quad. I entered into the loading area with 3 other people. As I looked back over my shoulder to watch for the approaching chair, I saw a disaster coming. This alter-abled skier on a sit-ski comes flying up the side of the loading ramp. He shoot right past the large crowd of people waiting for their turn and crashes into the lift shack. Then he bounces off the lift shack and straight into the active loading area. By this time any pretense of control is completely lost as he proceeds to plow into the chair I was loading on. He takes out the kid seated to my right and pulls him under the still moving chair. Having seen this disaster unfolding I lifted my skis as the sit skier slid under my feet. Then the Kamikaze rakes both the people, who were loading to my left, right out of the still moving chair as well! These people then slid off the front of the loading ramp and the sit-skier lands right on top of both of them. Since the sit-skier is strapped into his ski rig he is unable to get off these poor victims of his stupidity. It took the lifties 5 minutes to untangle the skis, poles, legs from this paraplegic disaster.

I strongly support alter-abled skiing. I have skied behind sit skiers on black diamond bump runs who put 95% of the skiing public to shame with their speed, skill, and grace. Living proof of the irrepressibly of human nature. However this event in the Bachelor lift line was a case of a hotdog skiing out of control, into a crowd, loading onto a moving lift. His actions jeopardized all the lifties and skiers in that loading area...not to mention himself! Dumb luck is all that saved the day.

Accidents happen, but this was not accidental it was an exercise in "look at me" ego boosting gone awry. Like everyone else, I encourage alter-abled people to consider this sport with appropriate lessons and assistance until you can ski IN CONTROL. He placed many people in jeopardy, including his own stupid ass. But being an self centered, ignorant hazzard does not make you cool... it makes you an ignorant hazard. After all...a dangerous ass hole, is still just a dangerous ass hole.

Well, it’s not like he’s gonna get paralyzed if he crashes

Are we supposed to say alter-abled now? I can't keep up with these things.

Yes, that sucks.

But, people don't absorb strangers even light suggestions of what to do, no matter how gentle one tries. So if you're not prepared for the fuckoff reaction, that's on you, despite your intentions.

Even offering help seems to backfire. They're scared, that's why they freeze like that and are not normally receptive.

So I just try to go around them when this happens, say excuse me and smile.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Say something once. It might be a learning moment for the other person in a situation they don't know about. Saying something a second time is just to satisfy your ego and will ONLY serve to piss off the other person. Which is fine if you are trying to pick a fight, but not great if you got kids around and don't want to present as a trashy role model.

That said, liftline drama is good entertainment for the rest of us killing time in that 20 min line haha.

I have a good idea who the sit skier was. Worked OAS for a number of years. Unless its changed the term was adaptive.
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3982&dateline=1279375  363

Is this like a gaper sub-genre thread?

Lift Line Stupidity

Jesus H

^^ That sitski thing you there belongs in the Lift Line Danger thread.

Guess that I should just Insist that my group split up and get in the singles line. Fewer morons there.

I’ve been laughing at this for 10 minutes.

I tend to quote the rules of the "Holy Handgrenade of Antioch" when I get stuck behind people that can't count to whatever number corresponds to the chair we are waiting for.

"Four shalt thou not count, nor either count thou two, excepting that thou then proceed to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then, lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in My sight, shall snuff it."
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Sorry if I misspoke.... I mean adaptive asshole. You are right the alliteration is much better that way.

I'd recommend starting with "do you need any help?" then, assuming the answer is no, follow up with, "ok, would you mind if we ski past you?"

i'm at mammoth this season, from the adirondacks, no facebook etc, and unaware of the LA cali bro thing.

holy shit is all i have to say. beautiful are though..

Kinnikinnick- are you one of those people who feels compelled to flash their lights and honk at the left lane camper instead of just passing on the right?

Any line in Austria or Germany, German speaking people can’t queue for shit..

Quote Originally Posted by byates1 View Post
    i'm at mammoth this season, from the adirondacks, no facebook etc, and unaware of the LA cali bro thing.

holy shit is all i have to say. beautiful are though..
    Obernard Franz? Welcome back
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

things over heard in the lift line or $200
    watch out for snakes