Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Wow! Great price. The 23 windows are the big $ but that's still worth way more. Nice job on the restore too. 1688 is a 1600 done right. The only thing I'd do is chrome the rims to go with the hub caps, low pro tires and hide some discs behind those rims when I had the chance. Probably set that middle bench seat in storage. I like the split seat too. The full bench seats are a pain. Doesn't say if it was converted to 12v but most are. Mine was '67. Last year for split front window and first year 12v. Had the, way more functional, split front seat too

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

My last one was a 67 with a split front seat. Header exhaust, and some fancy distributor, otherwise pretty stock (1500). Factory camper setup. Sweet rig, except for the usual VW issues. Fuckin’ throw out bearing jumped off the arms all the time, and gaskets, and valves, and that time I spun a main bearing...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My last one was a 67 with a split front seat. Header exhaust, and some fancy distributor, otherwise pretty stock (1500). Factory camper setup. Sweet rig, except for the usual VW issues. Fuckin’ throw out bearing jumped off the arms all the time, and gaskets, and valves, and that time I spun a main bearing...
    Sweet! Ya they're not great for a primary vehicle. Have it in the shop/garage to keep it ready for trips. It's a pain to change the clutch and throw out bearing with rudimentary tools. I think I had a bed frame wedged between the bolts on the freewheel to stop the motor from turning while I cranked the the big locking nut loose. My 250+ lb buddy leaning on the end of the bedframe. Not recommended procedure but it worked. Mine had the stock 1500 but it was blown so I was able to buy the bus for $350. We had a 71 with a broken frame that had a rebuilt 1600 so it was meant to be. 1600 in the smaller microbus gave it a bit of juice. My polo shirt wearing ski instructor buddy hated that thing. Smoked him in his Suzuki samurai from stoplight to stop light. Then he bought a tempo with standard trani thinking he'd get me. Nope. Still letting him have it to this day. He'd almost hide in it if we went biking so no one would see him

I wonder if that 21 window is original or a regular bus that was chopped.

Hard to say. It did have some rust around there in the prerestore pics. They could be original but maybe they were added in a previous restore. Someone else asked that in the questions. Still a good deal. I wouldn't be surprised if it gets close to 6 figures. I think the lock on the gas door is added

That not so average splittie can't hold a candle to the Race-Taxi

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/05/...-bi-turbo-bus/
    Scientists now have decisive molecular evidence that humans and chimpanzees once had a common momma and that this lineage had previously split from monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Can’t believe I haven’t posted this. Was the reason for my handle. Long gone but still many memories

Syncro westy w/ a Subaru and full restoration

Attachment 286086
    Boi-oi-oi-oi-oi-oinnnngggg

Quote Originally Posted by skivan View Post
    Can’t believe I haven’t posted this. Was the reason for my handle. Long gone but still many memories

Syncro westy w/ a Subaru and full restoration

Attachment 286086
    Yeah, wow!

I go back n forth between an 80's westy or weekender and the vintage ''60-'70s. Something just awesome with the old school.

I guess they haven't put it on yt yet. Turned on American pickers last night, must be a new episode, and they bought 3 microbus' for $37g. 64 11 window, looked like a 50's double door panel and a cut up 60's one for parts. Decent shape other than the cut up one

That cali westy is looking like quite the bargain now. Spend a g on it to redo the floor and install for seals and sell it for 24. Put 16 in your pocket

Mrs SIJ and I celebrated our 25 year anniversary camping in GTNP.

Some action shots for you dentists out there.

Colter Bay is great camping. The far loops on the lake side are awesome.

We’ve camped in this particular spot dozens of times. Man, it’s a good one. The shore of Jackson Lake is a short walk from here. The ’skitos were thick and we forewent a fire and hung out in the bus. We had bikes and the riding was great.

Name:  IMG_0084.JPG
Views: 348
Size:  139.9 KB

We’ve seen so many park shenanigans, I wouldnt know where to start.

True crazy. These folks across the way casually left for about 30 minutes. Fire, food, everything out. If Johnny Law rolled by, that would have been a flogging for sure. We’ll give them a pass because of where they were from.

Camping in NPS campgrounds is a crap shoot, you never really know who the neighbors will be. Usually the far loop is filled with savvy Jackson locals, but we were here on a week day. It was a funny crowd for sure.

Name:  IMG_0070.JPG
Views: 382
Size:  132.2 KB

Hiking amongst the flowers. This was a bog. In the pano, one can see the contour of the meadow as the flowers followed it. I’ve seen this meadow for years, but never went out in it. I always thought the flowers were larkspur, but they’re something different. Really cool. Strangely no bugs. This is looking NE towards the Teton Wilderness.

Name:  IMG_0101.JPG
Views: 333
Size:  148.6 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0092.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	765.7 KB 
ID:	286382

We moved to a different spot in the AM for breakfast. This closer to String Lake. If you park just right, this roadside pullout gets filled with just one car. Perfect.

Name:  IMG_0103.JPG
Views: 371
Size:  141.9 KB

Eggs Benedict action shot. Bonus points for local man can breakfast beer.

Name:  IMG_0105.JPG
Views: 345
Size:  101.8 KB

The gallery control panel.

My fridge has always been a starter. The trick is to run it on 12v for a couple hours driving *then* attempt to start it on propane. Even better, run it on 110v for a couple of days, then start on propane. The water tank holds about 15 gals. We don’t use it too much, but it is sure nice to have. I’ve used it on desert camping trips.

The water tank lights work. The snowflake is for when the fridge is on propane. Mine alway starts reliably, while some have a beast of a time. Maybe I’ll do a TR on starting this model of Dometic.

The battery panel on mine has always been green when the engine is running and yellow or even red when the engine is off. It has nothing to do with actual voltage of the system, at least it doesn’t seem to.

I don’t have a second battery. You don’t need it. I’ve met many hard core Vanagon guys who agree. Fridge is on propane 90% of the time and 110 the other. Never once in 19 years have I run the fridge on 12v with the the engine off. It will kill your battery in no time. Except for getting it going, I don’t even run it on 12v while driving.

Name:  IMG_0108.JPG
Views: 323
Size:  88.9 KB

Ours has the little ice cube trays. They work. I remember once we made the perfect margaritas with them ice from the trays.

Name:	92660F02-FDA4-4F60-9D92-160FD2634A25.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	457.8 KB 
ID:	286388

As with all trips, it was a big relief when we pulled into our crib without having to take out the tools.

We need an engine. This one is on its last leg. I’m going to replace it with the same, doggedly reliable, but underpowered, 1.9L. I’m not sure I want to do it myself.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

^^ sweet rig

What yr is that one SIJ?

83½. First year of the water cooled. 2WD. Looks like a Syncro because of my super cool tires.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    83½. First year of the water cooled. 2WD. Looks like a Syncro because of my super cool tires.
    Holy shit! That was the same year I had...and the same color! Blew the head gasket in Nelson BC because of the anti-freeze supposedly. You have to pull the engine to change it. Not recommended! We had to run a phosphate free antifreeze to help mitigate future issues.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Holy shit! That was the same year I had...and the same color! Blew the head gasket in Nelson BC because of the anti-freeze supposedly. You have to pull the engine to change it. Not recommended! We had to run a phosphate free antifreeze to help mitigate future issues.
    Common issue. Aluminum heads and cast block heat and cool at different rates which the gasket can’t compensate for. Once the coolant get in there the heads would get pitted and leak like a sieve. The smell of burning maple syrup was a dead give away.

Yeah, it was never explained to me as to exactly why...it was just do it. Way before Gore invented the internet.

That breakdown was 10 days long. Had to hitch out to this hippy dudes garage and he kept telling us, maybe tomorrow...for fucking 8 days! Had a new sierra designs tent that absolutely sucked. You couldn't keep the fly away from the side of tent on a certain corner, so condensation came in and froze. Wifey (wasn't wife at that time) was not happy after the first night when she woke to a frozen block of hair whilst I was warm and cozy on the other side. We hit the hostel after a few days in the tent because of the chilly late April nights. Good times

watch out for snakes

21 window 125k electric conversion.

http://www.oldbug.com/zelec21.htm

They didn't touch the frame or body panels underneath. Hey, what'd ya want for 125k

Quote Originally Posted by SB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    21 window 125k electric conversion.

http://www.oldbug.com/zelec21.htm

They didn't touch the frame or body panels underneath. Hey, what'd ya want for 125k
    Damn! This thread just gets better.21 window E bus would be the dream.

My buddy dug a 55 panel out from behind a landscapers shop in banff. Thing sat there hidden in the bushes filled with junk storage. Emptied out the junk , through in a 1500 and drove away(super flat in the industrial compound). Bearings and brakes later. Buses will go through anything with power to both wheels and engine/trani over the rear axles. Super low gear in the 55 trani. Top speed was 45-50mph. Itd be ez to crawl down the mountain in 1st. I helped put the poma quad lift in at goats eye(sunshine village) and in the fall as we were rapping up the install it snowed and I was climbing the ski out in fresh snow alongside the 4x4's. Bit sketchy on the down in packed snow and got more than a few funny looks but amazing traction on the up

83 1/2 checking in. Still rolling.

Name:	IMG_20190621_151441.jpeg 
Views:	43 
Size:	107.8 KB 
ID:	286456

Have these been shared yet?

Name:  IMG_3818.JPG
Views: 493
Size:  206.4 KB

Name:  IMG_3820.JPG