Page 26 of 132 FirstFirst ... 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread: The FIFTY

I wonder how many people over the years backed off Twisting while saying something like "the mountain will always be there". Or maybe not. In the 50 Classic Climbs book there are 2 routes with pitches that no longer exist in original form due to rockfall (Northcutt-Carter and Middle Triple). Kind of amazing how quickly mountains can change (not saying anyone should climb and ski sketchy stuff thinking the whole mountain will fall apart or something, ha)

Goldenboy, or Mt Steele's ( in the Ste Elias range Kluane in the YK) NE face.

Not looking so good anymore

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Goldenboy, or Mt Steele's ( in the Ste Elias range Kluane in the YK) NE face.

Not looking so good anymore

crazy, i'm guessing that would accelerate glacier melt....
    27° 18°

Quote Originally Posted by goldenboy View Post
    Not to mention Meager, LeeLau.
    Maximus has a good video of Meager. I bet Plinth Peak will fail too. Same sedimentary rock. Same geologic zone.

Fingerpoint ridge off James Turner close to Wedge in spring 2015. That was big

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Maximus has a good video of Meager. I bet Plinth Peak will fail too. Same sedimentary rock. Same geologic zone.

Fingerpoint ridge off James Turner close to Wedge in spring 2015. That was big
    oh I had forgotten about that Turner slide!

What really strikes me is the runout distance in/on low angle terrain of these types of events... 'specially with the melted snow/ice lubricating the mess. Mind boggling, humbling, terrifying.
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    What really strikes me is the runout distance in/on low angle terrain of these types of events... 'specially with the melted snow/ice lubricating the mess. Mind boggling, humbling, terrifying.
    https://blogs.agu.org/landslideblog/...nche-mobility/
    Rock avalanche mobility is controlled by the characteristics of material in the path of the flow
    Rock avalanche mobility is one of the most intriguing aspects of landslide behaviour. It has long been recognised that this type of landslide tends to travel faster and further than would be expected from simple friction parameters. There has been a huge amount of debate as to the causes of this behaviour, with multiple theories having been proposed, some of which have been quite exotic. To date no consensus position has emerged, and the debate rages on.

In a new contribution to the discussion on rock avalanche mobility, a paper in the journal Engineering Geology (Aaron and McDougall 2019) examines 45 well constrained rock avalanche case histories to better understand the controls on their runout. Their work used a semi-empirical modelling approach to back analyse the mobility of the landslides, testing a series of hypotheses centred on the idea that rock avalnche mobility is controlled, at least in part, by interaction with the basal materials that they encounter along their path. This is perhaps most easily imagined in the context of flowing over glacial ice, such as in this beautiful example:

In this case, flowing over a very low friction ice surface might be expected to increase rock avalanche mobility.  The same might also occur where the landslide encounters loose, saturated materials, but perhaps to a lesser degree.

The authors conclude that for many of these landslides their behaviour can be best modeled by assuming that the frictional rheology / resistance of the landslide changes in the transition from the source zone to the runout path. In general where the rock avalanche ran across bedrock, the resistance to motion was found to be high, but where the path traversed ice or a saturated substrate the resistance to motion was found to be much lower.

The results are a really interesting contribution to the debate. This matters as high mobility rock avalanches can have a devastating impact on communities and infrastructure, and unsurprisingly there is increasing interest in trying to forecast likely behaviour.  As the authors state:

“…forecasts must parameterize the relationship that governs the basal resistance the rock avalanche experiences during emplacement…this choice must account for the expected shear characteristics of the path material”

Reference

Aaron, J. and McDougall, S. 2019.  Rock avalanche mobility, the role of path material. Engineering Geology. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2019.05.003

gear bonus episoda

two beers

Always interested to hear about the gear selection process.

It has as much to do with mission success as physical conditions in my books.
    watch out for snakes

It's sad to see a grown man beg. I hit the sub button.

Hah, finally guilt tripped into subscribing to the Youtube channel. It's ok though, mostly for selfish reasons - such a good excuse to drink a beer and watch rad skiing.

me too. my first youtube sub.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dig the Tram Face poster. Never happened of course, but wish they'd try it again after going 0-3.

SHOW US YER BOOT MODS!!!
    sproing!

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    SHOW US YER BOOT MODS!!!
    2nd vote. In fact, i'm boycotting all future episodes till we see the boot mod only bonus episode! It's all that local peeps were whispering about in hushed tones in our local Tim Horton's at 5am this morning... Pickets and protests in downtown Terrace starting asap! We want justice!
    Last edited by swissiphic; 05-15-2019 at 10:18 AM.
    Master of mediocrity.

Hoji shared his frankenboot mods with the wurld.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by meter-man View Post
    SHOW US YER BOOT MODS!!!
    Agreed. I was really interested in seeing what he had done.

the dang poles aren't on the dang salomon website*

* or I am too stupid to find them

Quote Originally Posted by mall walker View Post
    the dang poles aren't on the dang salomon website*

* or I am too stupid to find them
    I'm pretty sure that pole is a prototype. I've never seen a Salomon pole with a grip like that.

fwiw after some speculation in some thread I can no longer find about that being a DIY job with pvc insulation / zip ties, I did the pvc insulation / zip tie mod to some of my poles:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	diy-poles.JPG 
Views:	268 
Size:	332.0 KB 
ID:	282688

cost about six bucks and works like a charm!

Maximum cush

ribbed for pleasure

fwiw after some speculation in some thread I can no longer find about that being a DIY job with pvc insulation / zip ties, I did the pvc insulation / zip tie mod to some of my poles:

hahaha and you'll definitely get attention..... My buddy was like "WTF was with the pipe insulation on your friend's poles" the day we saw you at the chruch. you keep that up and you'll reach wasangles celebrityhood in no time!

I use arm floaties instead of an avy airbag. in case, you were wondering about backpack mods.

Name:  arm floaties.jpg
Views: 1249
Size:  9.0 KB

make it $6.50 and you could have a pole poker for each one.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.