Page 236 of 599 FirstFirst ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 14970
    Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    Alright, reading all this stoke has got me fired up on some Wren 96 (maybe 98 if I can find a good used deal).
    sounds like the wren 98 is the ticket for the conditions you face regularly, great all around ski that i find does just fine in fresh up to 6"

think there's a pair of wren 98's for sale in gs right now

as far as length, im always wishing my skis were longer, ymmv

Those 98 wrens in 184 are mine. If you tele maybe I can sell them flat. They have two mounts now but the pattern may be clean for tele bindings. PM me if you’re interested.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by detuned View Post
    as far as length, im always wishing my skis were longer, ymmv
    I guess the real question is: Which is more stable when maching through a slightly bumpy/choppy runout: a 188 pb&j or a 184 wren 98/96?

The pb&js, even with their forward mount, are pretty damn good at straighting it through some chop, but get defelected a bit due to their light weight. I would like their replacement to be a bit better for this, but I don't need them to be absolute monsters since I am still trying to ski lots of bumps and steeps where a bigger ski is a lot to handle.

My logic is that the added stiffness, traditional mount, and flatter tail of the wrens will lead the 184s to be more capable in a straightline than the 188 pb&js, but a bit easier to spin, ski bumps, and make jump turns than the 189 wrens. I'm trying to preserve some playfulness by going shorter. These skis will be complimented by a 190ish fat ski (deathwish?) for the deep or especially soft/sendy days. Tell me this logic is stupid so I can buy those sexy black 189s in gear swap.

I have no experience with PB&J’s but some past experience on Bibbys. That and based on your stature and desires would make me say you should go 184. I would guess they would be more maneuverable but still charge reasonably well.

However, with regards to the sexy black 189’s, the heart wants what the heart wants.

Quote Originally Posted by TeleBeaver View Post
    I guess the real question is: Which is more stable when maching through a slightly bumpy/choppy runout: a 188 pb&j or a 184 wren 98/96?

The pb&js, even with their forward mount, are pretty damn good at straighting it through some chop, but get defelected a bit due to their light weight. I would like their replacement to be a bit better for this, but I don't need them to be absolute monsters since I am still trying to ski lots of bumps and steeps where a bigger ski is a lot to handle.

My logic is that the added stiffness, traditional mount, and flatter tail of the wrens will lead the 184s to be more capable in a straightline than the 188 pb&js, but a bit easier to spin, ski bumps, and make jump turns than the 189 wrens. I'm trying to preserve some playfulness by going shorter. These skis will be complimented by a 190ish fat ski (deathwish?) for the deep or especially soft/sendy days. Tell me this logic is stupid so I can buy those sexy black 189s in gear swap.

Took my 1.5 SG's to the Bird yesterday for the opening of Mineral and Powder Paradise. Four feet of snow compacted down by three days of wind, so it was deep in places and scratchy in places, but I figured out where the wind was putting the snow so it was a pretty epic day. The SG's allow me to charge in heavy chopped up snow in a way that would send me down the hill in a toboggan if I was using my Cochises. It's unreal how they smooth everything out. this is my second season on them, and they're pretty much my daily driver this season. Centered stance gives great stability but ridiculously easy turning in 3D snow, and a little bit of forward pressure on the ski boot tongue makes them rail the groomers. I will never not have a ski like this in my quiver ever again. I don't think I've ever been happier with a ski purchase. The old glory top sheets don't hurt either.

So how might the 186cm 2014 BG tours in gear swap compare to the new C&D (probably 189 length). C&D more stable, better in cut up, better in float? Also better on hardpack? BG tour more nimble and easy to throw around in tight places?

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    So how might the 186cm 2014 BG tours in gear swap compare to the new C&D (probably 189 length). C&D more stable, better in cut up, better in float? Also better on hardpack? BG tour more nimble and easy to throw around in tight places?
    - different skis, other than maybe weight being somewhat similar/maybe/prolly not

- CD has the same straight sections of edge underfoot that the current BG has, so is very similar in hardpack to my 16/17 BG’s.

- CD better in float, low-angle, more stable/stompy, handles cut up the same as my 16/17 BG

- CD wildly nimble and easy to throw around in tight places/trees

Not sure it’s a fair or real close comparison, as the hardpack manners of the later BG’s (which was usually the cited downside to a BG in the earlier vintages) have directly translated to the new CD.

Quote Originally Posted by DeepHelmet View Post
    Took my 1.5 SG's to the Bird yesterday for the opening of Mineral and Powder Paradise. Four feet of snow compacted down by three days of wind, so it was deep in places and scratchy in places, but I figured out where the wind was putting the snow so it was a pretty epic day. The SG's allow me to charge in heavy chopped up snow in a way that would send me down the hill in a toboggan if I was using my Cochises. It's unreal how they smooth everything out. this is my second season on them, and they're pretty much my daily driver this season. Centered stance gives great stability but ridiculously easy turning in 3D snow, and a little bit of forward pressure on the ski boot tongue makes them rail the groomers. I will never not have a ski like this in my quiver ever again. I don't think I've ever been happier with a ski purchase. The old glory top sheets don't hurt either.
    Shit, must have just missed you. Was doing exactly the same on my Old Glory SGs... couldn't be happier with my purchase also.
    This job would be great if it weren't for the fucking customers

Quote Originally Posted by Muggydude View Post
    Those are my expectations. I'll report back when I get them mounted and in their "proper" environment.

I still want C&Ds.

... Thom

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7472.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	266646

Felt like t-shirt or less weather today in WA.

First day on Wren 108s. Hasn’t snowed in over a week. Chalk bumps in the steeps. FKNA.

Heads-up that I'll be listing some minty tycoons in GS soon.

126/96/116. 26.5 radius. Kinda sorta like a current wren but less rocker, beefier/flatter tail, straighter. If you drive your skis, it's more funner on everything but powder, and if you are buying a 96-waisted ski for powder then this is not your ride.

Excellent shape, mounted w/STH2-13 on the line for 317 bsl.

If anyone is interested and wants to save me the hassle of posting in GS, shoot me a PM. Probably looking at $325 flat, add $100 for w/bindings, plus shipping or pick up if you're bay area local.

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Heads-up that I'll be listing some minty tycoons in GS soon.

126/96/116. 26.5 radius. Kinda sorta like a current wren but less rocker, beefier/flatter tail, straighter. If you drive your skis, it's more funner on everything but powder, and if you are buying a 96-waisted ski for powder then this is not your ride.

Excellent shape, mounted w/STH2-13 on the line for 317 bsl.

If anyone is interested and wants to save me the hassle of posting in GS, shoot me a PM. Probably looking at $325 flat, add $100 for w/bindings, plus shipping or pick up if you're bay area local.
    I think they're like 22m radius and 98mm underfoot.

Good skis, I have a set and they rip.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    I think they're like 22m radius and 98mm underfoot.

Good skis, I have a set and they rip.
    Hmmm I was pulling R spec from here:

https://www.evo.com/skis/on3p-tychoon

ON3P SKIS Discussion

Educate me on the 16/17 191 C&D. Basically have the mixed pow slot filled, looking for a big stick that won’t sink for those 10/10 every 5 year kind of days. Is this the ski I seek or would I better off on the newer c&d?

I demoed I think the 17/18 version (asym, dead guy topsheet) in moguls and hardpack groomers. It didn’t leave an impression that it was a quick or nimble ski but maybe it was the conditions? In 20” of maritime snow are these skis quick or do they still feel like bulldozers? Are these skis basically the same thing?

I have wren 113, Cham 117 and proto 118 so I have that middle pow missile range covered. I want something for those days you’re up to your waist and still thinking about them 5 years later.

Have been pondering the protest but after considering that I didn’t care much for the lotus 138 or the powder boards I am starting to get cold feet.

Should I hold out and try to get this years c&d somehow? If anyone has a pair but isn’t in love let me know, I’ll buy them.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by optics View Post
    Hmmm I was pulling R spec from here:

https://www.evo.com/skis/on3p-tychoon
    The 13/14 ON3P catalog agrees with you for the 186 length. 26.5m radius.
    https://issuu.com/on3pskis/docs/1314catalog

PowTron did have some thoughts on 2018 vs 2019 C&Ds a few pages back.

Also, while getting them new might not be what you are looking for, ON3P has also three more 189s with the custom black top sheets in production/on the way - so fear not, the C&D partytrain has not left the station for good for this season

sorry if I just repeat stuff you've already read

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The 13/14 ON3P catalog agrees with you for the 186 length. 26.5m radius.
    https://issuu.com/on3pskis/docs/1314catalog
    Well he didn't state the model year. The 12/13 issuu agrees with me, so we're both right. Wasn't aware that they changed the design.

These are what I have:

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Well he didn't state the model year.
    Or maybe I implied the year by way of stating the radius, knowing the buyer will be a connoisseur of these vintages...

Additionally, I kinda don't want to do this but....considering unloading minty 189 2018 BG's.

I think I would need to be at like $550 flat, $700 w/STH2-16.

If anyone's hunting, PM me.

How would a custom 191 Kartel in Aeverflex handle for those looking for a twin tip charger?

Finally going to give my Wren108’s a true test at GT/JH this Sat-Wed......Have had it out a few times on the EC.....but most days I keep grabbing the Katanas.....

So...this trip I will finally get to see what I think the Wren can do in real snow. Looking forward to it, and hoping they rip like I think they do.

Quote Originally Posted by freerideskiing View Post
    How would a custom 191 Kartel in Aeverflex handle for those looking for a twin tip charger?
    Shitty in the bumps?

Quote Originally Posted by 2FUNKY View Post
    Shitty in the bumps?
    I spit out my water at that... well played, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by MHSP1497 View Post
    I spit out my water at that... well played, sir.