Page 3 of 237 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by mtskibum16 View Post
    I’m not a member so can’t read the flash review. I have read their first look post.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    On Moment’s site on the Commander 108 page under Reviews there are a couple of quick reviews and 1 longer, 2 post review comparing it to my other skis in that range especially the Cochise.

Oh I remember your post in the old Moment thread. I'll copy and paste it here:

I took the 108 Commander 188cm to Chile last week with my Blizzard 185cm Cochise. I like the Cochise but I’ve been looking for a 108 all mountain ski that is a go-to in difficult and variable conditions. I like the dampness of the Cochise, and while it’s easy to break the tail free in tighter places when needed, I’d like similar dampness while being able to hold an edge in turns less than 27m. Towards that ideal I tried the J Skis 186cm Metal, ultimately it felt short and did not exhibit good edge hold in firm, icy conditions and the 2018 Black Crows Atris 189cm, which felt brittle and wasn’t near damp enough. First day of 5 on the trip I took the Cochise and Commander out, started on the Cochise until I had my legs back under me, after switching to the Commander, I didn’t take the Cochise back out again, nor did I take out my Blizzard Brahma – even though conditions were pretty firm everywhere and best on groomers, perfect conditions for the Brahma -- I just enjoyed the Commander the whole 5 days.
    I never found the 185cm Cochise a difficult ski but the Commander is a much easier, more intuitive ski. It wants to be ridden from a more centered position, requires much less input to drive the tips and is also really easy to drift and slarve. The tails hold up well and while you don’t want to get in the back seat, it's pretty easy to get back in position if you do. Held an edge on firm and icy groomers and wind scoured packed powder, far better than the Cochise and I felt more comfortable airing bumps and jumping turns on the Commander, which was quicker edge to edge. Bases flat at speed on roughed up run outs, I would say the additional weight of the 185 Cochise, (about .5 lbs. per ski heavier than the 188 Commanders) made the Cochise feel damper. However, stability at speed on the Commander is enhanced by another 3cm and less tip splay than the Cochise so despite a little less dampness, run outs at speed felt more stable on the Commander. When on edge, whether on roughed up groomers, in crud, or airing bumps, the difference in dampness wasn’t noticeable and what feels like a longer effective edge on the Commander gives it much more stability. Most really damp skis don’t offer much in the way of quickness or liveliness. In contrast the Commander has edge to edge quickness, lightness in the air, and a very solid dampness that is still lively enough to offer lots of rebound out of turns.
    For me, the 185 Cochise had pretty clearly beaten out the new ON3P Wrenegade 189 108, J’s Skis The Metal 186, 2018 Black Crows Atris 189, and Volkl 108 189.
    Now, the 188 Commander pretty soundly beat out the Cochise and is clearly the best 108 ski for me. Great ski.

I'd be interested to know more about your thoughts on Wren 108 vs Coomander 108. It sounds like firm snow performance is important for what you were looking for. Is that the primary area the Commander 108 outshines the Wren? Any other insights would be great. I will be looking for a non-pow-day ski, but generally try and avoid super firm days so that's not a huge consideration for me. This ski actually has a lot in common with my Salomon Q-Lab but with a bit more tail taper and rocker. The metal with short radius and slightly progressive mount is fairly similar. A turnier more playful and longer Q-Lab is pretty close to what I'm looking for.

I got a chance to try out a number of moments new offerings yesterday at the demo. I use the meridians as a daily driver and have a pair of bibby tours that i love in and out of bounds. the commander 108 was a surprise for me. Definitely more of a traditional mount point vs their other offerings. stiff and damp. Unfortunately with the summit at alpine closed i could not test them out at full speed. I could easily see the commander a perfect everyday ski for sierra and pnw heavy snow conditions. The deathwish tours were also a lot of fun and had tons of grip. I am undecided on whether a tour lay up ski really benefits from triple camber.

Moment part 2

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    We may need to seek professional help with our obsession. Missing two pair that reside with our oldest son, Meridian's and a pair of Carson'sAttachment 263127
    How do you have so many moment skis and no Bibby’s!?

F the Bibby 108, give me a PB&J 108. Less taper, less rocker depth; if it had the weight it could be a legit big Mtn ski.

Moment part 2

Quote Originally Posted by TomFromNS View Post
    F the Bibby 108, give me a PB&J 108. Less taper, less rocker depth; if it had the weight it could be a legit big Mtn ski.

Well that’s the idea. I don’t think anyone literally means exactly a Bibby that’s narrower, but a playful charger designed as an all mountain ski. So yeah...Bibby/PB&J in 108. Could be a Wildcat 100/108/116 line.

Well that’s the idea. I don’t think anyone literally means exactly a Bibby that’s narrower, but a playful charger designed as an all mountain ski. So yeah...Bibby/PB&J in 108. Could be a Wildcat 100/108/116 line.

Agreed! The Wildcat Tour 108 sidecut is more similar to the PB&J than the 116 Wildcat. I would like a 184cm/190cm like the 108 Wildcat rather than 182cm/188cm PB&J sizing although the Tour version cuts off the tail a few cm so it’s just a touch longer than the PB&J. Would be nice if the tail wasn’t cut off.

Hi Guys,

I posted on the last thread about whether to get wildcats for my upcoming trip to Utah/Breckenridge. Thanks for all the replies, very encouraging support for the big boy bibbys, but i suppose i was never going to get a 'balanced' response within a moment thread haha. I'm now just trying to get my finances in order. Looking at the 190 wildcat which apparently will be in stock soon, but those boys + bindings aren't cheap (if anyone wants to sell me their old one i'll grab it!). Im thinking this ski might pair well with the Atomic Bent Chetler 100s.

Quote Originally Posted by PNW_Skier206 View Post
    How do you have so many moment skis and no Bibby’s!?

Funny you should ask. I typically ski a pair of Blizzard Bonifide's for a groomer only ski just because I have them. I use the DW as my my versatile ski and find it very good in powder such as today's over delivered 20" in LCC. I was thinking the Wildcat and Meridan would be a great two ski quiver. I love the DW so maybe in a couple of years.

I'm still rocking the 18/19 Deathwish (190cm) and Commander 108 (188cm). To be honest, I've had more days on the Commander and absolutely love them. If get around to trying the Commander 118, I'll post my thoughts.

To answer a question from the previous thread...I mount my Commander's just a bit forward of the line and feel great...but that's my preference. For the Deathwish, I'm even a little more forward but for years just mounted on the line without issue.

Here are some vids from this season:

Squaw Valley USA on Deathwish...

Squaw Valley USA on Commander 108...

I may be wrong but doesn't the 108 tour share the rocker lines and taper of the full Bibby?

To add to the general Bibby stoke, i had a fucking amazing day on my Bibby's today at Mammoth, straight up heavy chop weapons. Can't think of anything else I'd rather have on my feet.

So confusing: https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/...kis-Discussion

To contribute, loving the used 2012 Bibby Pros that I scored off ebay. Such a great balance of a ski that can charge and mix it up in the soft stuff but still deal with groomed runs. I have skied 12" of fluff, chopped up leftovers, soft groomers, and firm groomers on them over ~ 15 days. Such a fun powder ski that can still negotiate firm stuff back to the lift to do it all over again.

I'm going to work the hell out of these this year and order up a Wildcat next year.

Finally got my mitts on a Deathwish today thanks to mag Luke Campbell and they look badass. Can't wait to get 'em on some snow. I've been abusing 2011 Bibbys for I guess 8 years now and they have been everything I could dream of in a ski. They deliver in all conditions and simply won't die. I kinda feel like I should have my head examined for straying from the Bibby/Wildcat, but I've been curious and excited about the Deathwish for a few years so I pulled the trigger. The first thing I noticed in comparison is the slimmed down edge - my old Bibbys are definitely fatter than this new Deathwish. When did Moment transition to the thinner edge/base? Or is it specific to model not brand? And do these newer versions seem to be in the same class of burly mofos? The indestructible nature of my old Moments was a significant selling point and reason to stick with the brand. Also, these skis weigh in at 1874 and 1941g. Of course I'm aware that weight will fluctuate due to the aspen/pine core being of natural materials and neither ski varies terribly from the stated 1895, but is it common for skis to have a difference of 60+ grams? I've never had a pair with quite that big a gap. Regardless I'm stoked on a new set of Moment's handmade American magic sticks. Thanks boys!

Quote Originally Posted by ormandy View Post
    Finally got my mitts on a Deathwish today thanks to mag Luke Campbell and they look badass. Can't wait to get 'em on some snow. I've been abusing 2011 Bibbys for I guess 8 years now and they have been everything I could dream of in a ski. They deliver in all conditions and simply won't die. I kinda feel like I should have my head examined for straying from the Bibby/Wildcat, but I've been curious and excited about the Deathwish for a few years so I pulled the trigger. The first thing I noticed in comparison is the slimmed down edge - my old Bibbys are definitely fatter than this new Deathwish. When did Moment transition to the thinner edge/base? Or is it specific to model not brand? And do these newer versions seem to be in the same class of burly mofos? The indestructible nature of my old Moments was a significant selling point and reason to stick with the brand. Also, these skis weigh in at 1874 and 1941g. Of course I'm aware that weight will fluctuate due to the aspen/pine core being of natural materials and neither ski varies terribly from the stated 1895, but is it common for skis to have a difference of 60+ grams? I've never had a pair with quite that big a gap. Regardless I'm stoked on a new set of Moment's handmade American magic sticks. Thanks boys!
    Did you get used skis? What year are they?

We have used the same edge material since day 1. Have they been ground down a ton?

Also, last seasons and all previous year skis had hardwood from a different lumber mill which had more variance than the lumber mill we deal with now.

If you look at other reviews on our new skis all weights are coming in close to identical.

Regardless, when you're skiing you wont notice that 60g.

Skis are 2019 undrilled. Apparently they were purchased early summer, but the guy chose to mount a PB&J and passed a good deal along here on gear swap since he was past the 30 day return. They are spanking new. OK, my bad. The old Bibby edge sure looked fatter than then new, but I just measured and you're right they are nearly identical. I guess the sidewall color or semicap or something created a bit of an illusion. Sorry to incorrectly post about edge thickness. Glad to know these are the same burly construction I've come to know and love. And I'm not too worried about different weights - just curious about what is typically accepted variance when pairing skis.

Gotta give a shout out to the Alta ski shop at Wildcat base. They did a terrific job or repairing a horrible 13" core shot in my new Deathwish's. Did this on Sunday while skiing the 24" of new at the top of Christmas tree. The pow was fantastic, only thing to be thankful for is that it didn't touch the edge. Based on the damage I am pretty confident it would have taken the edge out. Cannot feel it at all while running my finger across the bottom. Only visible due to the slightly different shade of black.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	core shot.jpg 
Views:	334 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	263525

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    Gotta give a shout out to the Alta ski shop at Wildcat base. They did a terrific job or repairing a horrible 13" core shot in my new Deathwish's. Did this on Sunday while skiing the 24" of new at the top of Christmas tree. The pow was fantastic, only thing to be thankful for is that it didn't touch the edge. Based on the damage I am pretty confident it would have taken the edge out. Cannot feel it at all while running my finger across the bottom. Only visible due to the slightly different shade of black.
    Big dudes need big core shots! Bummer (and that's a beauty!), but glad you got it worked out. If it's any consolation I put 4 core shots in my new to me bibby pros on the first day I skied them, ouch! However, I patched them up in the basement and have been absolutely loving them ever since. So much so that I'm buying some Wildcats next year. And that's coming from a cheapskate that doesn't hardly ever buy skis new unless they are 2 or 3 years old at a discounted price. I don't care if I have to sell every ski in my quiver (except my bc setup), I am getting some new Wildcats dammit!!

And just to add perspective, I was skiing conditions that most areas wouldn't allow to even be open. Also, I was dead set on railing through terrain that I knew would likely result in damage. I'm pretty sure most brands wouldn't have fared as well.

Hey! Who changed my sweet, sweet title!?!

Damn... spent all freakin’ night coming up with that one....

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Hey! Who changed my sweet, sweet title!?!

Damn... spent all freakin’ night coming up with that one....
    Was it "why the fuck is a dehydrated platypus/weird dildo duct taped to a turtle?"

If you already have Bibbys why get the Wildcats? The skis haven't changed all that much, new ones have better base material and have semi cap. I'm probably gonna get old Bibbys then wait till next year when they release wildcat heavy in 108. The dream.

Melee, any chance we can get some Chipotle Banana production stoke when y'all get going on them?

Quote Originally Posted by JapPowHound View Post
    If you already have Bibbys why get the Wildcats? The skis haven't changed all that much, new ones have better base material and have semi cap. I'm probably gonna get old Bibbys then wait till next year when they release wildcat heavy in 108. The dream.
    Bibbys are pretty beat up so those for rock skis, Wildcat for better coverage. Although heavy 108 sounds fun too......

Quote Originally Posted by 3PinGrin View Post
    Was it "why the fuck is a dehydrated platypus/weird dildo duct taped to a turtle?"

Nope....

I would like to find out why though.

Name:  236D0CEB-4DB3-47E9-8D0E-CAEC0FF3B3A3.jpeg
Views: 8644
Size:  59.8 KB