Page 3 of 79 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    It may have been, but June is the earliest announcement I could find. Yahwah knows how long it's been in the works.
    But yeah, I'm not following the rationale presented and by this time, I feel a little justified in being a little skeptical of brand rationalizations.

fwiw, I have had first hand very poor customer relations where my request was met with literally having a customer comment sheet thrown at me. I am not alone in this type of experience.
    There was a noticable amount of penny pinching going on this year too.. I had wondered if there was a hint of regret, nervousness about the purchase from Boyne behind that.

We will see what happens now..
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    There was a noticable amount of penny pinching going on this year too.. I had wondered if there was a hint of regret, nervousness about the purchase from Boyne behind that.

We will see what happens now..
    Runout grooming was bad. I blame the umbrella.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Maybe they'll have better moguls now.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

So I just heard from a credible source that the whole announcement was put up on the web prematurely by alterra's web "guru"... hence the lack of information.

Hmmmmm.

Would explain quite a bit.

So I just heard from a credible source that the whole announcement was put up on the web prematurely by alterra's web "guru"... hence the lack of information.

Hmmmmm.

Would explain quite a bit.
    Daniels latest job?

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Daniels latest job?
    Box fan and door ajar level guru.

You going to visit?

Good news.
    I always do. Usually early season east peak or southback before the lifts open. Can't remember the last time I was motivated to buy a lift ticket. If spring operations start again I'd have no problem giving them my money

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using TGR Forums mobile app
    god created man. winchester and baseball bats made them equal - evel kenievel

Best news is hearing that bitch is out of job. And crystal can only do better customer service. It can’t get any worse.

Lifts running often before 9:00 was great.

I hope the new owners get their ski patrol and avie control act together, that's easy to underestimate if one is coming in fresh.

If you guys want some free hot chocolate coupons, let me know. I've got some peeps on the inside. Look on the bright side, I have how added Ski-attle to my farewatcher. Buster talks about some kind of SnotPuckerZappaSnatcherGigglePuke storm skiing which is apparently legendary.

In all seriousness, my ski area employee friends (mostly patrol and ops but some management) have nothing but good things to say about Alterra's focus on skiing and willingness to spend money on skiing. I think the Aspen crowd says the same thing.

Of course, to be determined. Generally when it snows, all it good. When it doesn't, skier start looking for scapegoats.

The fall balers, howler graupel blasts that are among the best storm skiing ever.

Make one, you owe it to yourself, both Crustal and Alpy.

This year is supposedly an El Nino which is normally bad for us.

On the other hand, SEA<->ZRH just dropped below $500.

On the other hand, SEA<->ZRH just dropped below $500
    New Google Flights blows so I haven't been doing my normal recon. My travel budget and prior commitments preclude Euro skiing this year but hey...there are always lottery tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    New Google Flights blows so I haven't been doing my normal recon.
    Kayak works gud fer me.

My travel budget and prior commitments preclude Euro skiing this year but hey...there are always lottery tickets.
    With the El Nino forcast, I may lurk more down SWCO way; will ping when.

I think he is on to something with the pass issue. I live in N seattle, it is a wash time wise crystal vs stevens, though coming home from stevens can really suck. Parking isn't an issue if you get either place early. Summit and crystal on a joined pass sounds interesting, but so does stevens and whistler.

I get it...
    I can imagine that cutting ties with family holdings also meant losing a safety net of sorts.
    It's one thing if you are a ski area who has a bad season that is owned by a conglomerate, it's another if you are a freestanding entity.

I heard rumors of Vail shopping Stevens (or maybe it was Stevens shopping Vail) back in fall of 2014. I can't believe that JK didn't know about it until a few months ago. Maybe Alterra made him an offer that was way too good to refuse? I think the Vail bought Stevens was a convenient excuse.

I sincerely hope that these mega ski corps do some major upgrades and expansions at these PNW resort in the next decade. We need it badly. It's long overdue.

Even little things like more off-season brush removal, more thinning/glading, improvements of catch trails for inbounds "side country" will make a huge difference in spreading people out and maximizing the skiable acreage inside a resorts permit area. Harbor resorts never did that stuff when they owned Stevens.

The new owners (CNL/Mountain High) did a little bit of thinning each summer and it dramatically has improved the experience at Stevens, especially low tide/early season. Hopefully Vail does a LOT more of that next summer. (My insiders said this was a really lame year for any summer projects since the current owners didn't want to do anything before Vail closed on the deal, and at this point Vail doesn't have a lot of time before the snow flies.)

Generally when it snows, all it good. When it doesn't, skier start looking for scapegoats.
    This is a life lesson folks. Get it while and when you can.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    This is a life lesson folks. Get it while and when you can.
    We're talking about skiing here, yes?

It's about a lift from b lot.

I think overall capacity needs to be increased. (I've said this hundreds of times.)

More parking, more inbounds acreage, more thinning/glading, more lifts to more places.

I'm often baffled by whiny commentators on social media being dismayed that they couldn't find parking Christmas week at Stevens Pass at 10am. If the lots are full, is the rest of the experience going to be any good? My guess would be "no".

so... for various reasons I missed buying a pass at spring prices. should I buy an Ikon now? Will Ikon pricing change once the deal's closed?
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    so... for various reasons I missed buying a pass at spring prices. should I buy an Ikon now? Will Ikon pricing change once the deal's closed?
    I don't think there's any pricing change. There's an awful lot of added language in the publicity about subject or contingent to finalization of transaction though.

Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Send an email to customer service. I would be shocked if they do not offer a refund.

Or, just cancel your season pass, and but a Ikon basic.
    You clearly don't know them very well.
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

I suspect more investment towards building hotels and parking lot than trail maintenance... but it may not be such a bad thing for this area to have a destination resort. Even if it doesn’t draw visitors from out of state, if Seattle people do a week during holidays as a staycation because driving is far and sucks, then they made their money back.

Quote Originally Posted by oftpiste View Post
    You clearly don't know them very well.
    That obvious?