Page 28 of 34 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    The Sego boys lighting up the 4th of July parade in Victor

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sego.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	355.4 KB 
ID:	240618
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Heading out for a backpacking trip in the Tetons starting Monday but have all my 2-wheeled toys in tow. Really sketched about trailhead break-ins. Is it a thing in GTNP? Any mags wanna do me a huge solid and babysit a set of bikes in exchange for a sixer or two? Sun-Thurs.

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    Heading out for a backpacking trip in the Tetons starting Monday but have all my 2-wheeled toys in tow. Really sketched about trailhead break-ins. Is it a thing in GTNP? Any mags wanna do me a huge solid and babysit a set of bikes in exchange for a sixer or two? Sun-Thurs.
    Generally, no, it's not a thing.

But, shit happens....

Sure, I can store them for ya. Plenty of room in garage, pm me...

Quote Originally Posted by Huskydoc View Post
    I can't believe you dare visit with how hellish Jackson apparently is
    I would say zero worries on the bikes/ break ins as well but since we spoke about it, ol Murphy and his laws have come into play, so maybe better drop them with one of us
    we also have garage space avail if need be, on the S end of town, but guessing you'll be in the park and Djongo's place is on the way to the park too
    the wildflowers are starting to go off in the higher elevations
    skid luxury

I need to do some research but how easy would it be to sneak a quick shuttle ride off the pass on a sat morning? Just got a new nomad recently and have to be down Jackson way for a wedding next weekend for the wife's friend. Super quick weekend from Bozeman but hoping to sneak a quick lap or two in before the wedding(need to check what time its at too). Thanks guys

Didn't think it warranted a thread in sprockets.

Super duper easy, IMO.
    Especially if you only have time for one run (leave car up top, lock bike at bottom and hitch back to car without bike).
    Two laps can be a crapshoot.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

^second it being super easy and do it! sometimes I shuttle my hubby on the DH trails and he is at the bottom faster riding than I am driving the car
    all well signed and ride-arounds for everything big, so easy to navigate quickly too
    Even if you do more of the "xc" rides on the pass (blacks canyon, phillips) if you shuttle them you can easily be done in 2-3 hours depending on group pace. nice looong downhills
    skid luxury

Awesome. Thanks for the quick replys guys! If ya see a white and black 4runner with MT plates and blue nomad on the roof give a honk or say hello.

Quote Originally Posted by b-bear View Post
    ^second it being super easy and do it! sometimes I shuttle my hubby on the DH trails and he is at the bottom faster riding than I am driving the car
    all well signed and ride-arounds for everything big, so easy to navigate quickly too
    Even if you do more of the "xc" rides on the pass (blacks canyon, phillips) if you shuttle them you can easily be done in 2-3 hours depending on group pace. nice looong downhills
    Ah, the Jackson cyclist.

shuttle the downhill trails because they can’t pedal their pig bikes and body armor up the hill.

shuttle the xc trails because they don’t want to pedal their xc bikes up the hill on that sweet single track

buy an e-bike because the bike paths and flat valley roads are just too difficult

buy a gravel bike because of the traffic on the roads

On the other hand I'll pass on giving myself a heart attack biking up Teton Pass on a 30lb downhill bike.

We all have nothing on that old guy who runs up the pass dragging a tire every morning. Although I think our schedules are different as I haven't seen him as much lately.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post
    Ah, the Jackson cyclist.

shuttle the downhill trails because they can’t pedal their pig bikes and body armor up the hill.

shuttle the xc trails because they don’t want to pedal their xc bikes up the hill on that sweet single track

buy an e-bike because the bike paths and flat valley roads are just too difficult

buy a gravel bike because of the traffic on the roads
    sorry but your generalizations dont work on me,man
    believe the question was how to fit in a quick ride during a wedding visit. hence the shuttling rec.

I ride up, I ride down, I ride all zee way around
    skid luxury

I’m a Jackson cyclist. Ride my bike to the Coach liquor store and the calico. Those damn bike paths do get difficult. Wish they made em a little wider for the ride home. Maybe you can shuttle me one of these days, TG.

Lifelink - I live at the base of the pass. Will be on a river that day but if you’re riding early enough on the morning, I’d be happy to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by schwerty View Post
    I’m a Jackson cyclist. Ride my bike to the Coach liquor store and the calico. Those damn bike paths do get difficult. Wish they made em a little wider for the ride home. Maybe you can shuttle me one of these days, TG.

Lifelink - I live at the base of the pass. Will be on a river that day but if you’re riding early enough on the morning, I’d be happy to help you out.
    Appreciate the offer. It looks like I'm gonna decide how long a ride I can squeeze in on Friday now. Depending when we get out of town (most likely early am) I might be able to get a bigger ride in. Wife should be able to shuttle or I can have her drop me at a trailhead while she goes fishing. Apparently we're doing the tourist raft thing on sat before wedding, which is fine but I'd rather just drag one of our boats down and fish.

Anyways thanks again guys. Oh and now we're prob be in my tundra since the rear diff decided to blow up in the 4runner...

I'm looking to come to Jackson for a few days of fun + the half marathon on 9/1. If I end up flying into SLC and out of Jackson or into Jackson and out of SLC, are there any good bus or shuttle options between the two? I'd like to rent a car while I'm in the area and not pay a one way drop-off fee. I'm planning to stay near Driggs, so we'll definitely need a car.

there is a shuttle from SLC-JH and vice versa http://www.mountainstatesexpress.com/
    it's antiquated in that you might still need to call to set up but we've done it several times

but I bet a SLC pick-up JH drop off or vice versa rental car might not be that uncommon/ expensive as you think. seems like people do that more frequently so it might be easier to do the one way than in other places
    skid luxury

Thanks for the info bbear. I made a reservation for JH pickup and SLC dropoff - turns it out it isn't that expensive for a one-way drop-off between the two, about $50 more for 6 days. I just assumed it'd be hundreds extra like I've seen elsewhere and didn't even look into it. Thanks!

We lost a good one in Candace Miller. Always put on a hell of a fun show and a fun person to have a drink with. RIP.

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    We lost a good one in Candace Miller. Always put on a hell of a fun show and a fun person to have a drink with. RIP.
    Just heard this morning. That’s terrible news. Enjoyed her music many times. Tough loss for the community.

Sorry for your loss guys. Saw it in your paper and it sounds like a sad deal.

Just booked a room at the Hostel over MLK weekend. Hard to go more than a few months without getting me some Wyoming.

Where do most of you live that ski/ride at Jackson Hole? Housing in the Targhee area is reasonable (Two Forks, Alta, etc.), but anywhere close to JH seems crazy!

I am starting a remote position and looking at places to live in the mountains/near the mountains with the goal to move by next winter/season. The 2 places I keep coming back to are Whitefish, MT and Alta, WY areas. Anyone have any good suggestions for me? Hoping to be close to an area to ski/ride (under an hour?), but also trying to consider social and educational ramifications of doing so since we have a young son (only 2 months now) to think about for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBr View Post
    Where do most of you live that ski/ride at Jackson Hole? Housing in the Targhee area is reasonable (Two Forks, Alta, etc.), but anywhere close to JH seems crazy!

I am starting a remote position and looking at places to live in the mountains/near the mountains with the goal to move by next winter/season. The 2 places I keep coming back to are Whitefish, MT and Alta, WY areas. Anyone have any good suggestions for me? Hoping to be close to an area to ski/ride (under an hour?), but also trying to consider social and educational ramifications of doing so since we have a young son (only 2 months now) to think about for the future.
    Jackson housing is comparable to what you get in NYC, Seattle, LA or other big cities. Think $2-3k for a 3 bedroom condo. You do get access to the Tetons. Most people who move here love to Driggs, Victor or Alta, make connections then move over the pass when they realize that even at the high price of rent, it’s cheaper and easier to live in Jackson, less driving time.

If you want a place in Jackson, I’d stalk the Jackson FB marketplaces. Rooms pop up from time to time and if you are quick enough, you might grab one.

Good luck with your move and decision!

If this is a temporary work form home you want to be as close to the skiing/fun/social as possible. Even nice condos in the Village can be found.

If this is long term, say five+ years, then you can be farther out.

As skibird mentioned, many will move over the hill for a few years, then find its not worth it and return to Jackson. So much driving would drag me down. .

There are great deals to be had once you are connected.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by skibrd View Post
    Jackson housing is comparable to what you get in NYC, Seattle, LA or other big cities. Think $2-3k for a 3 bedroom condo. You do get access to the Tetons. Most people who move here love to Driggs, Victor or Alta, make connections then move over the pass when they realize that even at the high price of rent, it’s cheaper and easier to live in Jackson, less driving time.

If you want a place in Jackson, I’d stalk the Jackson FB marketplaces. Rooms pop up from time to time and if you are quick enough, you might grab one.

Good luck with your move and decision!
    Yeah, that's what I was seeing. Anything decent over half an acre seems to be $1M+, crazy!
    Homes are much more reasonable in the Driggs/Victor/Alta area, that's why I brought up Grand Targhee which is very close to those areas while Jackson Hole is what, an hour and a half or so?

Am I correct to assume FB Marketplace is just for rentals? I am not looking to rent a room. I am married with a young son (10 weeks today) and 2 big dogs (Husky & Husky/Malamute), so we are looking for more space and some privacy... which makes things tougher of course.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    If this is a temporary work form home you want to be as close to the skiing/fun/social as possible. Even nice condos in the Village can be found.

If this is long term, say five+ years, then you can be farther out.

As skibird mentioned, many will move over the hill for a few years, then find its not worth it and return to Jackson. So much driving would drag me down. .

There are great deals to be had once you are connected.
    This is not temporary. I am starting a new job which will allow me to work remotely and relocate due to managing a team all living in different areas. I actually took this job with the reason/goal being to move.

While we do want to be as close to riding as we can, we're not too caught up on the whole fun/night-life side of things. We like to go out and have a nice dinner, but aren't going out to bars or partying, etc.

I would imagine if one bought a house on the other side - Alta/Driggs/Victor area - that Grand Targhee would be the home mountain with more sporadic trips to Jackson Hole since Jackson Hole would be 1.5-ish hours while Grand Targhee would be 30 mins or less. Still trying to figure all of this out and will still visit the area (of course) before making any commitments. At this point I'm just trying to do whatever research I can to look into my options.

Quote Originally Posted by JaBr View Post
    Yeah, that's what I was seeing. Anything decent over half an acre seems to be $1M+, crazy!
    Homes are much more reasonable in the Driggs/Victor/Alta area, that's why I brought up Grand Targhee which is very close to those areas while Jackson Hole is what, an hour and a half or so?

Am I correct to assume FB Marketplace is just for rentals? I am not looking to rent a room. I am married with a young son (10 weeks today) and 2 big dogs (Husky & Husky/Malamute), so we are looking for more space and some privacy... which makes things tougher of course.

This is not temporary. I am starting a new job which will allow me to work remotely and relocate due to managing a team all living in different areas. I actually took this job with the reason/goal being to move.

While we do want to be as close to riding as we can, we're not too caught up on the whole fun/night-life side of things. We like to go out and have a nice dinner, but aren't going out to bars or partying, etc.

I would imagine if one bought a house on the other side - Alta/Driggs/Victor area - that Grand Targhee would be the home mountain with more sporadic trips to Jackson Hole since Jackson Hole would be 1.5-ish hours while Grand Targhee would be 30 mins or less. Still trying to figure all of this out and will still visit the area (of course) before making any commitments. At this point I'm just trying to do whatever research I can to look into my options.
    I live in Victor and am biased toward Teton Valley for a host of reasons. Other friends would never consider not living in JH.

The three potential drawbacks to living in TV are: driving the Pass every day to work in JH (which you won't have to do); paying income tax (other costs are lower though); Idaho is like 48th in school funding. Having said that, I know tons of parents and kids over here who are doing great, I think it just requires a bit more parental involvement in their education.

JHMR and Targhee are almost the same drive from my house, 40-45 minutes to the Ghee, 45-50 to the Village. Obviously the closer you live to Driggs or Alta, the greater the delta. It's a great community in TV, and I haven't met anyone who moved back to JH after living here, but I'm clearly in the minority. You should visit in the next week or two to experience peak season driving in JH.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

For anybody who skis in GTNP, even if it is only a few days a year, donate a few bucks by September 1 to help BTAC install new weather stations and improve avalanche forecasts in the area. I'm there only 10 days or so a winter but use the heck out of jhavalanche.org - $10 out of your pocket is absolutely worth it if you ever use that resource.

https://www.gtnpf.org/initiatives/forecast/