Tahoe Fishing Mid June

So I'm going to Mammoth for closing weekend as I've never gone skiing for my birthday before and due to a variety of reasons will be flying into Reno with 2 days to fart around in mid June. I'll have wheels and a 6 wt. because why go somewhere without a fly rod?

My first thoughts:
    Truckee/Little Truckee, there are some big fish in these places but it seems like a nymph game in the truckee (which is alright I guess, but I do that all year) and the little truckee is... tough (as an Alaskan grown fisherman if it doesn't eat a parachute adams I'm hosed), possible green drake hatch? Is that a thing?.

Pyramid Lake, my impression of this place is a giant hatchery pond much like the fishing hole on the home spit, except people aren't dragging the hatchery fish on the beach to let them get freezer burnt. Not much interest in going here again. Although it is a pretty spot and I suppose I should catch a lahotan sometime.

So I guess what I'm saying... What else is there? Bass? Small streams? Blue lines? Anybody want to go fishing?
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    will be flying into Reno with 2 days to fart around in mid June. I'll have wheels and a 6 wt.

Pyramid Lake... Although it is a pretty spot
    Go somewhere in the eastern Sierra, since you're going to Mammoth anyway. (I'm not a fisherman so can't suggest anything.) Convict Lake? I know people fish there but no idea what for.

Don't waste your time coming all the way from Alaska to go to Pyramid. It's one of the ugliest lakes I've ever been to.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

With the water situation, IDK how things have changed. Use to fish Don Pedro for warm water fishing with decent success. McClure & New Melones close by as well but don't remember much about em. Stanislaus River used to be fun, but mostly did higher mountain lakes around there. I know a great spot at Relief Reservoir that used to kill for trout but it is a hike. And yeah, compared to AK, might be subpar.

Haven't been there for years, but it seems like the Owens river is prime destination for him since he is going to mammoth

I'm super interested in catching any fish I can't catch up here... basically anything but rainbows feel free to PM me

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Go somewhere in the eastern Sierra, since you're going to Mammoth anyway. (I'm not a fisherman so can't suggest anything.) Convict Lake? I know people fish there but no idea what for.

Don't waste your time coming all the way from Alaska to go to Pyramid. It's one of the ugliest lakes I've ever been to.
    I can tell you've never been to Pyramid Lake in SoCal.
    Pyramid was great when we could camp at the Pinnacles or the pyrmaid.
    Only two good places on the lake.

But wait a minute......

AKPM IS COMING DOWN TO SKI????!!!!!??????? FKNA!

YOU CONSIDERED PUTTING AN AD ON CL FOR A GIRL WHO CAN SUCK THE GUTS OUT OF A TROUT LIKE OLE WHATSHERNAME COULD?

Don’t fish, but saw a bunch of people camped out on 89 as the base of Monitor Pass. We went by at 6:15 am and folks were out and pretty sure I saw fishing poles in the mix.

There is a lot of water between Reno and Mammoth.

Not sure if Lane Mary is open yet, but can’t imagine it will be too long.

Pyramid may not be the most scenic lake but you won't be paying much attention to that once you hook into one of those behemoth cutties. Only been once but would definitely go back given the chance.

I also fished the truckee last time I was out. Seemed like a nice river, didn't catch anything though. I know there's some creek fishing down by Mammoth, don't know much about the details though.

Quote Originally Posted by dfinn View Post
    Pyramid may not be the most scenic lake but you won't be paying much attention to that once you hook into one of those behemoth cutties. Only been once but would definitely go back given the chance.
    Lol I felt the opposite, thought it was a gorgeous lake. Those cutties though seemed so artificial and the fishery so much like salmon fishing here I just have very little interest in fishing it again.

There's a shit ton of options... Reno/Truckee, Bridgeport, or right there in Mammoth. Pyramid is pretty much done by June I think. The Truckee should be going off with bugs (for the Truckee anyway) right about that time. We've had good water for 3yrs in a row now - it will likely be the best June it's been for several years on the Big T. But you can still get skunked out there ha ha. The Little T can get hammered but it can still be good. It's more of a creek experience, but you can catch a big fish there. I would only think about going out to the Little T if it's mid-week and the flows have been consistent for a week or so.

http://www.gilligansguideservice.com/blog/
    http://renoflyshop.com/category/fishing-report/
    http://mountainhardwareandsports.com...shing-reports/

Probably my personal favorite is the East Walker - it can be very good if you hit it right and the flows have been consistent for a while. Just out of Bridgeport half way to Mammoth.

https://www.walkerriveroutfitters.com/reports

In Mammoth the Upper Owens can be good - it's so close you can ski corduroy in the AM and hit the Upper O or Hot Creek in the afternoon/evening. Check local reports right before you go. Hot Creek is right there too but very small/not wade-able and I think it's declined as a fishery from it's former glory. Also if lake fishing is your thing, Crowley Lake is probably one of the best lakes in California to fish for trout - you can catch browns, rainbows and cuts all in the same day there. But you probably want to be in a boat or a float tube.

For Mammoth area:
    http://www.thetroutfly.com/fishreport.html

Overall lots of options and June is one of the best months to fish.

Big Truckee - streamers can be productive, but best from a boat. Tight line nymphing is the way to go.

Little T - lots of pressure, and picky fish. Decent PMD or caddie hatches possible, and some damn nice fish will eat a well present dry.

West Fork Carson - stocker bashing. Anything goes, lots of pressure from spin fishers, but can be a fun with all types of flies

East Fork Carson - below hangman’s is fly C&R only, and holds lots of wild fish. Fun river at the right flows. Above hangman’s is stocked often and holds a large number of big fish and as long as the river isn’t high and stained, consistently produces on almost any fly technique

West Walker - similar to EF Carson. Stockers with some wilds. Plenty of pressure.

East Walker - at the right flows (around 130-200cfs), you could catch the brown of a lifetime. Fish hard with streamers for them big meat hungry browns. Plenty of time fish to be caught on dries and nymphs too. Really good option if they aren’t releasing too much water.

Upper Owens - consistent fishing, by smaller fish in general. Epic views, fun meandering smaller river, good dry fly on hoppers and caddis in mid June.

Hot creek - can be tough, but probably your best bet for consistent hatches/dry fly. Not a ton of huge fish in the system, but enough to keep it enticing, and the creek has really rebounded from the drought years in terms of numbers.

Lower Owens - haven’t fished it much, but it’s basically in bishop, and worth swinging a few flies through if you’re down there, as the few times I have been on it, I’ve consistently caught decent sized troot.

Don’t bother with lake fishing, unless you want a chance at a huge Cuttie and don’t mind fishing from a ladder on a lake in the middle of the desert.

Lots of good resources out there. Troutfitter out of Mammoth are super helpful and put out a good online fishing report. Same with Ken’s out of Bridgeport.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Fishing Tahoe is not about catching fish,'

It's about the view,

the Relaxing effect of standing on a big rock and taking it all in.'

but yes, the lake is full of fish.
    When you get close to being here I will chime in, maybe suggest a couple good spots.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    so yur saying you already got skunked once at pyramid
    and your over it
    maybe try somethin aside from the bead egg
    id sup up a poopfish
    but i dont think you haz that game
    they dont eat fake eggs either
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by gnarbro365 View Post
    East Walker - at the right flows (around 130-200cfs), you could catch the brown of a lifetime. Fish hard with streamers for them big meat hungry browns. Plenty of time fish to be caught on dries and nymphs too. Really good option if they aren’t releasing too much water.

Upper Owens - consistent fishing, by smaller fish in general. Epic views, fun meandering smaller river, good dry fly on hoppers and caddis in mid June.
    These two would be my recommendations. Be prepared for piece of shit biting horse flies on the East Walker (below the reservoir) though.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying