Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Hardshell?

New Hardshell?

My decade old Mountain Hardwear Paclite shell just gave up the ghost. What's a good lightweight pure hardshell with solid waterproofing/breathability for layering? Preferably like the old Mountain hardwear fit (long torso, regular arms)?
    I'm thinking something eVent, but I'm out of gear buying as I've been busy managing my 2 hellions while I'm not working

Pm micol
    Fear, Doubt, Disbelief, you have to let it all go. Free your mind!

If you want to stay with Paclite, REI has Mammut Wenaha or Marmot minimalist. Both can be found below 200 bucks.

I have a LG mammut convey NWT I'll sell for 150 shipped. PM if interested

As a long-torsoed person, I've like the stuff from Dakine. Not sure if they have what you're looking for in a shell, or if you like their style, it worth checking out. I have a jacket that is the same or similar to this one: https://www.dakine.com/en-us/sport/s...ridian-jacket/

I'd highly recommend a Polartec Neoshell based jacket. There's several brands that sell them I believe (FlyLow, Freeride Systems, Trew, Strafe, Westcomb). I have an EMS one from years past that I love.

I love my Norrøna Lofoten gear. I'm fairly evenly build and the jacket is pretty long, so that could work for you. But as always, I think everybody should try before they buy

Quote Originally Posted by eskido View Post
    Pm micol
    They make jackets in tall as well, same jackets with extended torsos.

must say gtx pro far exceeded my expectations with very little need to vent.

My Super Alpine jacket from patagucci is cut long and the selves are long enough with a tapered fit. The hood is bomber and fits any helmet but it took some practise to tweak it just right,

If you like to max out the life of a jacket consider any gtx pro jacket from patagucci due to the bomber warranty and how well it works. I wish the fit was more like the Triolet but that's a small concern.

Good luck

the last arcterxy beta lasted >15yrs but its pretty done cuffs are frayed not very water proof so i bought another one, they seem to be a little fuller cut than the original
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Just found an Arcteryx Zeta AR at the outlet store here in Colorado. Has been a killer shell this summer for hiking/backpacking. But agreed the Beta is a great shell as well but it really depends on your activity. If you are doing a lot of backpacking and carrying weight you might want a shell that is a little beefier in the shoulders. So that would preclude pretty much any of the "Lt" versions.

Kenny - How has the super alpine treated you? I got one a couple years ago, I was looking for a bomber shell for back country & storm days. To date it's fine for back country but the water proofing has been pretty poor for our wet snow storm days. Thinking the one I got may have just been sub par.
    Like I told my last wife, I never drive faster than I can see, besides it's all in the reflexes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Kenny - How has the super alpine treated you? I got one a couple years ago, I was looking for a bomber shell for back country & storm days. To date it's fine for back country but the water proofing has been pretty poor for our wet snow storm days. Thinking the one I got may have just been sub par.
    That sucks because the same thing happened to my Leashless jacket. Weird it was 2 years ago. I exchanged it for the SA.
    Bring it back you got a bad one IMO
    No issues on my end to date. Not even on the shoulders where my pack straps sit.
    Cheers

I love my Dynafit Patrol but it's longer arms / shorter torso. Nothing has beat my old MHW paclite shell though.

BD makes some nice light shells nowadays though they can be hard to find depending on where you live.

Quote Originally Posted by mbillie1 View Post
    I love my Dynafit Patrol but it's longer arms / shorter torso. Nothing has beat my old MHW paclite shell though.

BD makes some nice light shells nowadays though they can be hard to find depending on where you live.
    https://www.steepandcheap.com/mammut...E6MTpNYW1tdXQ=

3 seasons of bush wacking, holding great. Trim fit me 6' 165, size large fits with puffy. On sale for under $400.

Sent from my XT1254 using TGR Forums mobile app

Gtx pro is softshell though, right? Need hard for layering/density and winter hiking as sometimes need a bomb shelter that's more protective and less breathable for putting down on under. In the whites where I've hit wind-chill of -50 before. Not much multi day backpacking as I'm a pansy who likes a real bed.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Gtx pro is softshell though, right? Need hard for layering/density and winter hiking as sometimes need a bomb shelter that's more protective and less breathable for putting down on under. In the whites where I've hit wind-chill of -50 before. Not much multi day backpacking as I'm a pansy who likes a real bed.
    GTX Pro is a hardshell. Or at least, some versions of it.

If you need a bomb shelter I've found Polartec Neoshell burlier than most GTX Pro I've seen/owned.

New Hardshell?

Anyone ski with a Patagonia Triolet shell? Do you recommend it? Should I size up to make sure I can get some layers under there?

Patagonia Powderbowl, I have a 10 year old version that is still bomber and my every day jacket. I have a newer version that is much lighter material, longer torso cut for sure, that I used as for touring.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Gtx pro is softshell though, right?
    wrong

You need to give the Freeride Systems jacket a look. Best basic shell I've owned. Micol gives a mag discount.

http://www.freeridesystems.com/products

I have. Excellent product. Am definitely considering one.

Hardshells haven't been holding up for me in recent years. I've had bubbling membranes and failing welds from a variety of brands (Patagonia, Marmot, Arcteryx, Flylow, OR, Westcomb). Several companies have good warranties, but I'm sticking with Patagonia now so I can walk into a store with a failing jacket and walk out with a new one.

New Hardshell?

How do DryQ Core, Dryvent and H2O stack up vs GoreTex, Neo and Event, for resort skiing in a dry climate? Are they complete shit for wind and water protection?

Water protection in a dry climate?

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.