Page 17 of 31 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    What is the correct buckle/strap configuration to tour in these and not get horrendous blisters?
    Mine is the power wrap liner, but not the 16/17 one with laces and a flex point. It's just a power wrap. The 15/16 orange and black.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by rabbit View Post
    any idea if the new tech lupo has a improved walk mode? I'm not using this as a long distance AT boot (have TLT5's), but just a newer version on my old krptons.
    I tried on the current lupo and that walk mode is VERY hard to get into either mode, and even in touring mode kinda sucks.

What Ive heard are that it is completely the same on the TI.

As for;"hard to get into either mode", no it isnt. Not if youre clamped in a binding when doing it.
    As for; "touring mode kinda sucks", it gets a whole lot better if you put the 2 and 3rd buckle (and powerstrap) inside the tongue aka only round the liner, so you dont have to bend the tongue backwards with every step = oldest "trick" in the book.

It will, however, never be good for long strides on the flats.
    Aha. Do you mean the top two or the bottom two? You must mean the top two, yeah? I guess I count backwards from you.
    No longer stuck.

Also, the strap is garbage and may want to go Booster or some else at some point, but it's riveted on, not screwed. Do you just drill out the rivets and let the Boosters float? Would make carrying gear to the car annoying since I wouldn't be able to put the straps together and put them over my shoulder. Anyone figure what hardware could be used?
    No longer stuck.

Hi all - I found this thread invaluable at the beginning of the season when I was trying to convince myself to spend $1k on Lupo Carbon TIs, and now that I have a season (40 odd days w/ ~5 BC) on them thought I would share my experience. I might update in a month as I plan to ski Shasta and Adams this spring which will be my longest touring days of the year.

I came from 2012 Krypton Rampages, size 27.5, Evo gives an 80 - 110 range on the flex. Wore the stock liner until it died then about a year with an intuition power wrap. I bought the Lupo Tis in size 27.5 with the stock Intuition non-wrap liner and custom footbeds.

First off, fit = incredibly comfortable. I spent a weekend standing for 10+ hours straight each day waiting/riding/skiing the Jackson tram, and my feed were only slightly fatigued. In retrospect, I probably could have sized down to 26.5. They are also very warm - I had to install Hotronics in the KRs, but have never had cold feet in the Lupos.

Uphill - the Lupos are amazing. That said, my reference point is KRs with the CAST toe modification and literally anything except lead weights would have been an improvement. I don't find removing the tongue very beneficial when hiking, but I do love it for skinning.

Downhill performance is a little more nuanced, but overall I've been pleased. Relative to the KRs (which essentially lock you in a forward flex), my stance is far more upright and balanced. I ski...prettier with the Lupos - I keep my weight neutral and slice through lines as opposed to weight stupid forward and charging. Also, these things are STIFF, and I've had to adapt to that. Other posters have noted back pain - I experienced the same. I became reluctant to absorb hits with my quads because, where the softer KRs tongues would have a progressive/elastic give, the Lupos basically feel like your shins are hitting a brick wall. So impacts were absorbed by my back in lieu of my quads. Ouch. I really can't offer any advice other than man up and keep your weight forward. And avoid chattery run outs when possible - those hurt like hell.

Due to some combination of the stance and stiffness, I've become biased towards shorter, skinnier skis since moving to the Lupos. My quiver this season was ON3P Billy Goat 191s and ON3P Vicik 186s, and by the end of the season I was grabbing the Viciks even on true powder days. It could be because my new "pretty" skiing style is better suited to the smaller skis, or it could be that the Billy Goats are just too much to drive with the extreme stiffness.

Compatibility - I've used them with Salomon STH 14s, STH2 16, and Kingpins. Obviously no issues with the Kingpins. The STHs work, but I'm not sure how much I trust them. Several times this season the toe wings have somehow worked loose and caused significant lateral play in the toe. Easily fixed with a screwdriver but not confidence inspiring. I've also had a couple crashes where I thought my toe should have released but it did not. Due to these concerns I'm switching to Warden 13s next year.

FYI my first day on them I had brutal shin bang. That was fixed by lowering the top buckle and adding a booster strap on the top buckle point. I've also added "eliminator" tongue shims to eat up volume and keep the boot as tight as possible - like I said, probably could have sized down.

Think that's everything, hope my novel helps someone.

Thumbs up

Aha. Do you mean the top two or the bottom two? You must mean the top two, yeah? I guess I count backwards from you.
    Yes.
    and boosterstraps are sooo much better imho.
    A good skishop has small t-nuts made for bootshells that you can use.

Quote Originally Posted by gturk View Post
    where the softer KRs tongues would have a progressive/elastic give, the Lupos basically feel like your shins are hitting a brick wall.

FYI my first day on them I had brutal shin bang. That was fixed by lowering the top buckle and adding a booster strap on the top buckle point. I've also added "eliminator" tongue shims to eat up volume and keep the boot as tight as possible - like I said, probably could have sized down.
    Helpful.

Bummer to hear about lack of flex. I though the Lupo was all about the progressive flex. My early model Lupos flexed pretty nice.

Also bummer to hear they need an eliminator tongue for skinny calves.
    Life is not lift served.

Dalbello Lupo T.I / AT ?

Been meaning to put this up as I feel I have my carbon ti's dialed now(atleast for me). I drilled the cuff for booster strap and also for the thick(orange) forward lean cuff spacer. Without the forward lean spacer I found myself getting tossed in the back seat and not having consistent pressure on the tips of my skis. Skis where getting tossed around unless I was always aggressive . Now pressure is always on the tongues so it's easier to pressure immediately rather than slamming into the tongue coming from the backseat. Coming from my lupo sp they are now virtually identical position and flex. I find them stiffer than my freedom sl's but not overly stiff. In deep spring corn I'd occasionally blow through the flex on the freedoms. Maybe because I'm in the flex of the tongue more with the forward lean spacers I can moderate the power and/or flex of the boot(old dude not many hucks, ski moderately fast but there are many faster and not a heavyweight). Lots of time on this boot now , especially with the lupo sp being pretty much identical skiing.
    The last thing I changed was I installed an intuition wrap liner and ditched the tongue/lace up liner. Initially I put a bontex pad on top of the boot board with the tongue liner but I still had a touch of slip everywhere. The wrap liner I put in was originally from my full tilts. It's an intuition but I think it's a bit thicker and plusher than the intuition wrap liner from my lupo sp. probably less stiff also but it's super comfy. All my buckles are in the same ladder position on the lupo sp as they are on the lupo carbon ti. That's to say, they are all on the first ladder position apart from the top buckle , which is on the 2nd position. I think the shell is less deformed this way, rather than the end of the ladder . Not much buckle pressure needed.
    I initially tried the wrap liner a few days on the hill and would tour with the tongue liner. I had to buckle them too tight with the tongue liner when touring though, and there was still slop. Then decided to give the wrap liner a go for touring. I am pleasantly surprised it didn't restrict it in touring mode or atleast not much. Possibly because there is more rom forward than there is rearward rom in the carbon ti's. Not sure but it works and the tongue liners are collecting dust(anyone need some minty 25.5 intuition tongue liners?)

Side note: I've now drilled the cuff to my tlt6's and installed the thinner forward lean spacer that came with my lupo sp. along with the booster strap , double tongue mod and pro tour liner I'm done with those now too

Quote Originally Posted by neck beard View Post
    Helpful.

Bummer to hear about lack of flex. I though the Lupo was all about the progressive flex. My early model Lupos flexed pretty nice.

Also bummer to hear they need an eliminator tongue for skinny calves.
    It was only in-shop, flex testing so I can't speak to skiing temperatures, but when I was choosing between the Cochise 130, the Lange XT 130 Freetour and the Lupo TI ID (carbon), I didn't feel a significant flex difference between the three. All three felt more alike than different and felt nice in the shin area. The things I found myself keying in on were the fit and the footbed angle. IOW, flex differences (qualitative or quantitative) didn't call attention to themselves.

For the record, I'm 5'9", 165 Lbs. Boots I was adapting from were mango Maestrales and OG Titans.

... Thom
    Last edited by galibier_numero_un; 05-17-2017 at 07:34 PM.
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

So if anyone is having the desire for some sexy MINT carbon lupos in a 28 shell, shoot me a message. Worn for a 1/2 day.

aaaaaanybody know where to find DIN soles for the original ti?

Quote Originally Posted by white_wolf View Post
    aaaaaanybody know where to find DIN soles for the original ti?
    Put someone at REI to work.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160112_170147.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	306.2 KB 
ID:	207754

You could go to Karen.barden @ makervolklusa.com directly and she would be able to let you know your nearest retail site she can sell to.

eta: just to be sure, these are for the kermit kicks
    Last edited by Gepeto; 06-11-2017 at 08:10 PM.

Ask and ye shall receive. Thanks so much bud

Anyone know if the forward lean of the Lupo Factory is the same as the Lupo 130c & Lupo AX 125?

I have fat feet I would love a pair of Lupo Factory but will probably end up in the AX 125 for the 100mm last.

I assume the tongues are interchangeable between them all? Thinking I might swap them if I want to stiffen up the AX 125. I'm coming from Tecnica Zero G guide pro.

How much can you stretch the toes of a Lupo carbon ti, last year's? I'm in between a 28.5 and a 29.5. 29.5 fits my length butt is too big on volume so want to stretch a 28.5. Rather do that than get the larger shell and have to use bontex shims and a thicker insole as I don't like slop and that raises my foot up so the buckles crush the top of my foot. My foot is a size 13 and I've worn 28.5 all my life to accommodate the very low volume however my toes suffer from it. I wear 29.5 touring boots and make do with that as its 95% uphill, but for Resort boots I would like something a little more supportive then my freedom sl's and maestrale rs's

Sent from my VS987 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Last edited by markcjr; 10-07-2017 at 10:14 PM.

Can anyone post a pic of the inside of the shell looking at the spine?

Walk mode is open on both

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app

^ thanks!

New boot project I'm working on... 125c with the back, tongue and liner from Factory model. Still fitting them so no ski impressions yet. So far everything seems to fit and work well together and a noticeable increase in stiffness forward and back. Booster strap will go on once fitting them is done

Name:	IMG_20171030_213720.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	215145

Name:	IMG_20171030_213824.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	215146

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    New boot project I'm working on... 125c with the back, tongue and liner from Factory model. Still fitting them so no ski impressions yet. So far everything seems to fit and work well together and a noticeable increase in stiffness forward and back. Booster strap will go on once fitting them is done

Name:	IMG_20171030_213720.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	1.63 MB 
ID:	215145

Name:	IMG_20171030_213824.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	1.45 MB 
ID:	215146
    This is great. I have the AX 120 (not sure how those are different from the 125) and have thought about if adding the carbon cuff would increase the performance. Also, was thinking about how the carbon cuff could be lighter and better for touring. Did you weigh the two cuffs? Whats the difference?

I also discovered the liners that came with the 120 are way softer, and was able to increase the stiffness just by going with the liners from the Carbons and/or the wrap/flex liners form the green Lupo Ti. I think that the liners might contribute a lot to the difference in stiffness between the boots.

Quote Originally Posted by jdadour View Post
    This is great. I have the AX 120 (not sure how those are different from the 125) and have thought about if adding the carbon cuff would increase the performance. Also, was thinking about how the carbon cuff could be lighter and better for touring. Did you weigh the two cuffs? Whats the difference?

I also discovered the liners that came with the 120 are way softer, and was able to increase the stiffness just by going with the liners from the Carbons and/or the wrap/flex liners form the green Lupo Ti. I think that the liners might contribute a lot to the difference in stiffness between the boots.
    The 125 is grilamid and the 120 is made of ifran. Not sure of other differences, doesn't look like much.

I should have weighed them when I had them off the boots, but I think it has more to do with stiffness than with weight.

The liner definitely makes a huge difference in stiffness, probably even more so than the tongues.

Quote Originally Posted by Eastcoastdan View Post
    The 125 is grilamid and the 120 is made of ifran. Not sure of other differences, doesn't look like much.

I should have weighed them when I had them off the boots, but I think it has more to do with stiffness than with weight.

The liner definitely makes a huge difference in stiffness, probably even more so than the tongues.
    What made you go for the 125 lower?
    I pick up my factory's this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post
    What made you go for the 125 lower?
    I pick up my factory's this weekend.
    Fat feet the 125 has a wider last and I'm still having to punch it quite a bit.

Got it

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	215272

Picked up my '18 Factory's today. I was worried about flex being too soft, but the boot feels FA - & I've not moved the latches to accommodate my skinny calves yet. Above pic shows new power wrap which adds a next level stiffness.

Quote Originally Posted by iriponsnow View Post

Name:	IMG_1748.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	215272

Picked up my '18 Factory's today. I was worried about flex being too soft, but the boot feels FA - & I've not moved the latches to accommodate my skinny calves yet. Above pic shows new power wrap which adds a next level stiffness.
    Power wrap? What liner came with your lupo factory?

Sent from my Pixel using TGR Forums mobile app