Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bromontana View Post
    Badass. Fixed anchors or trad?
    Fixed bolts, Mark set us up for success and placed a bunch over the last couple years during the summer and on a previous attempt. That limestone is fucking chossy. Brought the hammer drill with us for the couple spots we still needed anchors.

Dang, that's dedication. Especially so considering there are multiple other excellent couloirs off that peak that go.

The powder may be gone on the south face of superior, but the non existent winds Saturday morning provided for an excellent speedwing flight down the south ridge. Anyone know who the 2 climbers are? Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speedride superior.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	106.3 KB 
ID:	202490

Rad ^

What does it really take to get in to speedflying, I've looked in to a time or two but I can't tell if going through all the classes would really be worth it right now if I'd never get the chance to do it.

snowbasin is sick, headed there tomorrow for seconds

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    snowbasin is sick, headed there tomorrow for seconds
    Imagine it covered in blower pow. It's even more fun. Springs good there though for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by straightlineorbust View Post
    Skied Poulbelle Couloir at snowbird for the first time today, was sun baked as hell but pretty fun.

It's fun when the hike all the way to the top of Baldy is open, never got to do it before.
    Which one/where is this? That's a new name for me.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Straightlineorbust, lessons from one of multiple available flying schools at the point of the mountain in draper/lehi are where you would start and then take off from there (pun intended). About 2 weeks worth of lessons costing $1200-1400. Then gear costs as well (speedwing used setup from $1000, brand new about $2000). Paraglider used to new $2000-5000. It takes dedication in terms of time and money, but it is totally worth it in my opinion. Costs are similar to mtn biking (if you really get into mtn biking).

Took out my paraglider yesterday afternoon and climbed the thermals of air up till 12400ft. Pretty slow in comparison to a speedwing of course, but the views from up that high are magnificent!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3368.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	734.9 KB 
ID:	202575

Rad ^

What does it really take to get in to speedflying, I've looked in to a time or two but I can't tell if going through all the classes would really be worth it right now if I'd never get the chance to do it.
    A guy who used to live down the street from me is/was an instructor at one of the POM flying schools. I got to talking to him about it one day and he recommended spending a LOT of time piloting paragliders before stepping up to the smaller wings, and then a lot more time flying those before attempting "real" speedflying in a mountain environment. The smaller wings are harder to fly and they go faster, so when you add in low altitudes (being close to the ground is kind of the point of speedflying) and the unpredictable nature of mountain winds things can go really wrong really fast. So, you want your reactions to be so drilled in that they're instinctual--you won't have to time to think about what to do.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 03-16-2017 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    A guy who used to live down the street from me is/was an instructor at one of the POM flying schools. I got to talking to him about it one day and he recommended spending a LOT of time piloting paragliders before stepping up to the smaller wings, and then a lot more time flying those before attempting "real" speedflying in a mountain environment. The smaller wings are harder to fly and they go faster, so when you add in low altitudes (being close to the ground is kind of the point of speedflying) and the unpredictable nature of mountain winds things can go really wrong really fast. So, you want your reactions to be so drilled in that they're instinctual--you won't have to time to think about what to.
    Spot on advice.

One more thing, typically when flying speedwings, especially when flying them low in the mountains, we only do it when the winds are super light coming uphill or close to nothing. You really don't have much of a margin when flying that close to the ground that fast.

Speed fliers and wing suits flying in tandem in Radical Reels video

Quote Originally Posted by Orash111 View Post
    Spot on advice.

One more thing, typically when flying speedwings, especially when flying them low in the mountains, we only do it when the winds are super light coming uphill or close to nothing. You really don't have much of a margin when flying that close to the ground that fast.
    Those of you interested in these kinds of sports would probably enjoy the recent video by the Flying Frenchies (https://www.flying-frenchies.com/en) that was shown at this years Banff Mtn. Film Festival Radical Reels traveling show at the U of U 2 weeks ago. The video's name was "Give Me Five". There is a 0:36 trailer video on this web page, https://www.banffcentre.ca/node/8505, but I can't find a link to a longer version on the Flying Frenchies web pages. The video shows their attempts and final success to have 4 wing suit fliers fly in tandem with a speed flier on skis during which the 2 on either side of the ski flier join hands for several moments as they descend down to Chamonix. The main challenge to this trick is that the maximum speed of the ski speed flier is 70 mph, but the minimum speed of the wing suit fliers is 70 mph. Even for these very experienced, and crazy dare devil, experts that was a super challenge, and they had many near mishaps before finally succeeding.

On the same web page for the Radical Reels videos (https://www.banffcentre.ca/node/8505) is a link to the trailer for the video "The Fledglings". The full length video is on YouTube at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPg8pU7nguA. This hilarious video is about 2 veteran professional rock climbers who take up paragliding as a challenge to see how well they can do in the role of rank beginners and then within a few months fly off the summit of Mexico's highest mountain, Orizaba at 18,491'.

On an unrelated and way less XXXtreme note, does anyone have any leads on tix deals to Solitude? Just need one for next weekend...
    "We're in the eye of a shiticane here Julian, and Ricky's a low shit system!" - Jim Lahey, RIP

Former Managing Editor @ TGR, forever mag.

WASATCH STOKE, CONDITIONS, OBSERVATIONS AND ASSORTED DRIVAL 16-17

Good fun today on the Alta cat, skiing real corn!

Connie and my brother are tight

Shot ski
    Does this work?
    IMG_1782.MOV

That's me with the smile in the yellow and green

I've skied Alta at least one day, every year since 1987, can any of you beaters claim that?
    Last edited by buttahflake; 03-16-2017 at 06:33 PM.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Pointed the ski mobile west.

Didnt get the coolies but still a rad day...
    Bunny Don't Surf

Have you seen a one armed man around here?

^ nice pics, I would dig getting out there this year. find any decent snow?

Lots of snow up high, the same isothermic crap as in the wasatch though. Since it didnt freeze last night we avoided booting up any chutes. Super long mellow approach up the road, pulled my buddy on his mtb with my little trail bike, that thing was money! We came up the wrong drainage in these snow conditions for a summit bid so we are planning a redemption trip.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Hey,

was fun to meet East or Bust today up at snowbird... would have offered to take a lap or two together but my dad's out so you caught me on my one lap off on my own.

Also, you mentioned reading how I had my first line on Poubelle Couloir, so here's the pic I took looking down the day of and a picture from today from when I was showing it to my dad.

It really wasn't the hardest line I've ever skied but it really was just a fun playful shot that doesn't get open too often, nowhere near some of the rowdyness that's been posted lately either.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170311_150028.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	794.0 KB 
ID:	202651Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20170316_121056.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	894.4 KB 
ID:	202652

What does it really take to get in to speedflying?
    A huuuuge set of cajones!
    Arash's balls are so big I'm surprised he can get off the ground at all....

Honda trail 70?

Spring is for straightlines.

Took a quick easy line to show my dad what it's like to ski snowbird when he's not around. Funny how in the beginning of this season even small stuff like this was intimidating. Probably wasn't smart to sit down while I was still moving either.

Spring is for straightlines.

Took a quick easy line to show my dad what it's like to ski snowbird when he's not around. Funny how in the beginning of this season even small stuff like this was intimidating. Probably wasn't smart to sit down while I was still moving either.

Nice...that line is NEVER that full....nice score...anytime ive skied that boy it was tight. looks super fun there.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Nice...that line is NEVER that full....nice score...anytime ive skied that boy it was tight. looks super fun there.
    It was super fun, but to be completely honest it's too open. Hoping spring melt tightens it up but doesn't eliminate the line.

It was super fun, but to be completely honest it's too open. Hoping spring melt tightens it up but doesn't eliminate the line.
    yeah the sun and the rocks will play there, and i'd agree its not really technical in your pics, probably why you straightlined out...adrenaline was wanted. Fun line though without doubt...

Quote Originally Posted by new yabyum View Post
    Honda trail 70?
    No, chinese knockoff "trail rider" 70. Lot of backstory on those copies. Quality little machines. Lots of quality meadow skipping in the mill drainage if you stay right of the creek. My buddy wore a gopro all day. Here is his edit...

https://youtu.be/0h3_hiDLP2c
    Last edited by TheFugitive; 03-20-2017 at 02:16 PM.
    Bunny Don't Surf

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTAH View Post
    A huuuuge set of cajones!
    Arash's balls are so big I'm surprised he can get off the ground at all....
    Thanks, but I have always been a total wimp in terms of heights for most of my life...

It is really just like skiing or riding a bike. Start out small on the bunny slope or with training wheels and very gradually work your way up. Difficulty and scare factor are all perspective really.