Page 7 of 884 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion View Post
    And if it does, all those slide paths off of Wilson Peak and Mt Chipperfield and Dudley Peak will finally demonstrate how that got as big as they are. In my 20 years here I have yet to see a really big avalanche cycle and I have seen a lot of big avalanches. This one could be a honey.
    QFT. Be safe folks.
    I think the potato gun proved the stability.

Great story Bunion, funny how certain times get imprinted in your mind. I hope this year ends like 02-03, but all seasons being different who knows what's in store. If we do get pounded it certainly would be exciting to see a big avalanche cycle. Maybe I'll take pictures of the slides instead of ski if I'm still a gimp by then.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

Funny you should bring up 2002/03. That is what this season reminds me of.

Little to no snow through Christmas, barely scraping by. I was between working at Big Sky and the opening of MLB and was doing finish carpentry at the Y/C and managed to get laid off about mid-Jan.

Then it started to snow and snowed a shit ton. To the point that you could ski off the summit towards the Otter slide and keep going right all the way over the Yeti traverse and into Liberty Bowl.

I skied every day for about 40 days until I got hired at the Y/C to patrol the remainder of the season.

One of my best seasons in a long time.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Not sure which era you are discussing.

Before MLB the area was themed after Nashville and Elvis.

When we opened up in 2003 the names that are current were placed on the area.
    musta have been a dream, that happens to me every once in a while

**********In other news the forecast is shaping up well for us here in western mt. A wednesday birthpowday is just right, here we go!

stuff to kill time up Hyalite. Brutal year so far but it's about to change. 2000/01 was this bad but that was cuz the jet stream was split all winter. This year it has just all run north, it's on it's way now...... stay safe out there, it's gonna be pointless in the backcountry for a long while. that climb is cleo's, just to the right of twin. my facedork page is below and it is actually kinda cool if u like fish.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/...y/360786338758

whats the prob with summit?? is it still there?

Everyone I know wants to go on a killing spree, there is only one cure...
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

killing spree? uh summit i mean? i kid.
    step off the A, bro.

I'm just going to leave this here ...

Quote Originally Posted by Winter Storm Watch;
    ...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH LATE THURSDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING AND MAIN IMPACT: AN EXTENSIVE AND LONG-LASTING PLUME OF PACIFIC MOISTURE WILL MOVE INTO AND EAST OF THE CONTINENTAL BEGINNING ON WEDNESDAY. THIS MOISTURE WILL INTERACT WITH THE COLD AIR ALREADY IN PLACE ACROSS THE REGION AND A FRONTAL BOUNDARY LOCATED THROUGH SOUTHWEST MONTANA TO PRODUCE WIDESPREAD SNOW THAT WILL CONTINUE UNTIL EARLY FRIDAY MORNING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: SNOWFALL RATES WILL GENERALLY BE LIGHT BUT WILL PERSIST FOR AN EXTENDED PERIOD...RESULTING IN ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 8 INCHES ACROSS THE PLAINS AND VALLEYS AND 1 TO 2 FEET IN THE MOUNTAINS. OCCASIONAL PERIODS OF MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOW ARE POSSIBLE DURING THIS EVENT... ESPECIALLY ALONG THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN FRONT AND MOUNTAIN RANGES OF SOUTHWEST MONTANA.

* WINDS AND VISIBILITY: WINDS AND FOG ACCOMPANYING THE SNOW WILL REDUCE LOCAL VISIBILITIES TO LESS THAN ONE HALF MILE AT TIMES.

* OTHER IMPACTS: EXPECT ROADS TO BECOME SNOW COVERED AND ICY... CREATING HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS.

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED INCLUDE: WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS...BATTLE RIDGE PASS...BOZEMAN...BOZEMAN PASS...TARGHEE PASS... WEST YELLOWSTONE...STANFORD...LEWISTOWN...LEWISTOWN DIVIDE... BOULDER...BOULDER HILL...ELK PARK PASS...HOMESTAKE PASS... WHITEHALL...TOWNSEND...GREAT FALLS...KINGS HILL PASS... BIG HOLE PASS...CHIEF JOSEPH PASS...DILLON...MONIDA PASS... FLESHER PASS...HELENA...LINCOLN...MACDONALD PASS... ROGERS PASS...ENNIS...NORRIS HILL...RAYNOLDS PASS... TWIN BRIDGES

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW...SLEET...OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.
    FKNA!!

There's a very good chance I'm skiing Thursday and/Friday. Plus John Wayne and the Pain are playing Friday and Saturday at Whiskey Jack's. http://www.jonwayneandthepain.com/

Nope, not at all like 95-96. We had a LOT of snow.... I mean a LOT of snow early in the year of our lord 1995/96. Like nearly 100 inches in October alone.

That was the initial season of the Lone Peak tram and when we finally got the sucker built and opened we were skiing everything possible on about day 3.

I will still remember skiing Castro's face down and over the Beard on day 3 and absolutely marveling that such a steep convex roller could hold so much snow.

That was an epic season for the stability that so much early season snow brought to us. After October we had a big Nov. and a big December. All in all it was one of the best years I can remember on Lone Mountain.

But, back to this predicted pattern change. Averages are created by balancing our the extremes. So far this has been an extremely stingy winter. Time for the pendulum to swing.

And if it does, all those slide paths off of Wilson Peak and Mt Chipperfield and Dudley Peak will finally demonstrate how that got as big as they are. In my 20 years here I have yet to see a really big avalanche cycle and I have seen a lot of big avalanches. This one could be a honey.
    That was my first season at bigsky, it will be forever etched in my brain. So many sick lines went down.

mmmmmmm....sssssssnnnoooooowwwww...... fuckin love it. so my birthday is tomm, and at blacktail if you show up with your id on your bday, you ski for motherfuckin free!! and its a wednesday, and it's been nukin up there since yesterday, (they're closed mon-tues). stayin at some po-dunk lodge in lakeside tomm night and skiing what is sure to be an all-time day at bigmtn on thursday!! woot-woot!! the only shitty part about this whole scenario is none of my worthy ski buddies are available to go, so this very well may be a solo venture. If any mags skiin big on thursday and see a fool in an orange arcteryx shell rockin sumos, hollla for change and we'll do safety meetings, beer, and shred.

Forecast looks to be holding!
    http://www.kbzk.com/news/major-winte...montana-today/

Big Sky and Bridger could both get pounded.

Oh boy, I'm ready, I'm ready. Let it dump.
    If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bushman View Post
    Oh boy, I'm ready, I'm ready. Let it dump.
    Yeah, me too and it is here for reals. Hell, the 30 minute shovel-fest was a hoot this AM!

Woke up to an ambient temp of -20 this morning, with wind chills supposedly being around -50. The predicted high for today is like -9, but the "warmest" we've seen at the office here is -14. Been snowing all day. So freaking stoked!

After skiing all weekend at Red Lodge (Friday through Monday), enjoying a moderate powder day Monday, and now plummeting temps, I am so freaking stoked! I did not mind shoveling my driveway one bit this morning.

Bring it! LET IT SNOW!

And then there's this: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick...&FcstType=text

Powder boner. I haz it.

This looks like a very favorable pattern for Big Sky. Similar set up to when there was such consistant snow in 05-06.

Landfall over Central Oregon/Washngton then arcing over to a WNW flow by the time it gets here. Hopefully only a few more days of full on R,I,C,E for me.

snowbowl picked up over a foot so far and its still dumping.

its even nuking in town!
    Big skis from small companies at Backcountry Freeskier

Nuclear winter at Snowbowl and Lookout. Epic liftlines, too.

Quote Originally Posted by mtskier View Post
    snowbowl picked up over a foot so far and its still dumping.

its even nuking in town!
    I like it. This storm is stretching from here to the Pacific Coast.

nuking in the queen city, the rock sported eight overnight with atleast four to five today, while there were maybe 30 cars in the parking lot and it aint stoppin anytime soon welcome to the party ullr, glad you could make it

All wind, no snow so far at Lone Mountain.

So far not even a reach around.

Sorry..........
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wow, I guess this season biblical storms pushing in off the Northwest will nuke all of western Montana, skip right over Bridger again, only to hammer fucking Billings? What. The. Fuck. is. Going. On. This is some serious fucked up shit the likes of which I have never seen or imagined before. Not like I can ski now anyways, but come on, give us a respectable fucking base by fucking Februry, what the fuck is it gonna take?

rockcreek, how was the rock skiing? I heard it sucked before this storm. Big-time nuking in the queen city, with over a foot in my driveway already. I'm thinking about hitting the rock in the morning but don't want to fuck up my new skis. What do you think?

Looks like you jizzed all over yourself for nothing, Bobcat. Seriously f'd up when Great Divide has a storm total of 26" so far. Buddy is at Lost Trail today for Powder Thursday...would be hard to keep going in the 30" of new they've got, but I'd love to try.
    Buy the ticket...take the ride.