Page 25 of 508 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Either way, I'm going to also get a 12x12 canvas hunters tent and I'll have a portable yurt system that I can haul wherever the hell I want via Samurai or UTV.
    Been thinking about this option much lately. Not so much the traveling, but put up a nice tent in one place (hidden) and go up basically every weekend. Sled access probably (would have to get a sled too). Set it up with a nice stove, etc and have some winter fun. Lots and LOT of those canvas suckers on KSL so check it out first.

You do some cool shit mang...

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Set it up with a nice stove, etc and have some winter fun. Lots and LOT of those canvas suckers on KSL so check it out first.
    I guess this is off topic, but hey, it's TGR.

Yeah, Imagine hauling a 12x12 canvas tent and all the goodies down the 70 mile Skyline Drive. Stop and ski all those bowls, set up camp, eat well, continue. There are endless possibilities in Utah for that. Another one is Nebo Scenic Loop. Lots of skiing up there.

I want a UTV because it's designed to haul stuff and can haul four people. Sleds are great, but towing in on skis blows.

^^^
    Curious to see how this works out for you.
    And, I want to see tracks on the Samurai.

I guess this is off topic, but hey, it's TGR.

Yeah, Imagine hauling a 12x12 canvas tent and all the goodies down the 70 mile Skyline Drive. Stop and ski all those bowls, set up camp, eat well, continue. There are endless possibilities in Utah for that. Another one is Nebo Scenic Loop. Lots of skiing up there.

I want a UTV because it's designed to haul stuff and can haul four people. Sleds are great, but towing in on skis blows.
    Yeah sorry to stray maybe ill start another thread about something like this to find like minded individuals. Anway it would have to be a few people with sleds. I would not/do not intend to use the sleds for ski access, well sled to skin type thing is what i mean...

Whats the rules on setting up something like that and leaving it for the season..any idea? I jsut think having a "base camp" would kinda rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Yeah sorry to stray maybe ill start another thread about something like this to find like minded individuals. Anway it would have to be a few people with sleds. I would not/do not intend to use the sleds for ski access, well sled to skin type thing is what i mean...

Whats the rules on setting up something like that and leaving it for the season..any idea? I jsut think having a "base camp" would kinda rule.
    Typical forest service rules are two weeks, I think. Otherwise, they'll tear it down.

Alright bitchez! Picking my Tatou tracks up tomorrow. Not sure if they will go on the Samurai, or if I'll buy a UTV for them. Either way, I'm going to also get a 12x12 canvas hunters tent and I'll have a portable yurt system that I can haul wherever the hell I want via Samurai or UTV.
    Dude you been spending way too much time on Expo forum...........I mean that in a FKNA way!

Alright bitchez! Picking my Tatou tracks up tomorrow. Not sure if they will go on the Samurai, or if I'll buy a UTV for them. Either way, I'm going to also get a 12x12 canvas hunters tent and I'll have a portable yurt system that I can haul wherever the hell I want via Samurai or UTV.

That is 100% awesome. get after it. Pics need to be posted if they work on the Sami
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Cross post.
    Looks like a sweat deal for overnight parking lot mags.

Can I play?

See you guys on the road....

I've been living in a 31' RV for over a year now. I love it. I hate being tied down. At ski hills we usually use our canopy that's slightly modded for sleeping. Yes I sleep in the back of a truck.
    Had to do a few mods to winterize the RV, like create an entire new insulated bed frame (upgraded to king size while we were at it).

Quote Originally Posted by HikeforTurns View Post
    Can I play?

See you guys on the road....

Welcome to the club!

Do yourself a favor, and get a camper tie down kit installed on that nice truck of yours. Much more stable, and will cause less damage to your truck. I had to run tie down straps with Blue Velvet since it was too narrow for my truck, and my paint is destroyed.

If you're in Denver, give Lampert Hitch a call. Competitive prices, terrific work - they've installed two in-bed hitches and the camper kit for me.

Why all the shimming in the bed? It looks like it has plenty of room to clear the cab?

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    Welcome to the club!

Do yourself a favor, and get a camper tie down kit installed on that nice truck of yours. Much more stable, and will cause less damage to your truck. I had to run tie down straps with Blue Velvet since it was too narrow for my truck, and my paint is destroyed.

If you're in Denver, give Lampert Hitch a call. Competitive prices, terrific work - they've installed two in-bed hitches and the camper kit for me.

Why all the shimming in the bed? It looks like it has plenty of room to clear the cab?
    Look again. The shimming is to clear the truck box. Also, a lot of pop up campers use a turnbuckle or ratchet strap from camper to truck floor. The ratchet strap in the pic looks too narrow and weak to me and is not attached to the truck at the proper spot/angle.

That set up was just to get her home, picked it up a couple weeks ago. I improved and lowered the base shim about 1.5 inches (tundra truck boxes are higher up like the new F150s.) overall its about 3 inches high now. I also picked up some torklift camper tie downs (mount to the frame) and some springload xl turnbuckles. I think I will be installing some ride rite air bags as well. Should be bomber after that.

Makes sense - I was guessing as much but the reflection off the bed and my crappy screen made it hard to see. Congrats again - you'll be able to go anywhere in that thing!

I could see raising the unit like that if you wanted to build a little ski storage slot under the camper. Sort of like people do with in-bed sleeper platforms. Although you raise the center of mass making an already tippy vehicle even more tippy.

Although putting a roof box on is probably more versatile and keeps the center lower.
    Last edited by Sinecure; 10-31-2011 at 02:21 PM.
    I'm a cougar, not a MILF! I have to protect my rep! - bklyn

In any case, if you're ever really in this situation make sure you at least bargain in a couple of fluffers.
    -snowsprite

Slow and low.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinecure View Post
    I could see raising the unit like that if you wanted to build a little ski storage slot under the camper. Sort of like people do with in-bed sleeper platforms. Although you raise the center of mass making an already tippy vehicle even more tippy.

Although putting a roof box on is probably more versatile and keeps the center lower.
    Looked at putting ski storage between the bed and the camper with my Alaskan, however the space needed to fit our bigger skis made it prohibitively high. Ended up putting a Thule box on the campers roof rack instead and use a collapsible step ladder to get to it.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    Looked at putting ski storage between the bed and the camper with my Alaskan, however the space needed to fit our bigger skis made it prohibitively high. Ended up putting a Thule box on the campers roof rack instead and use a collapsible step ladder to get to it.

Nice set up right there!

I've got a fairly high level poach going on right now in downtown Alburquerque, NM.

Pure genius- if some Alb mags don't have to bail me out!
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

Nice - I actually saw a rig like that second one in Yellowstone a couple of years ago. Insane.

is that a giant bass-cone in the door?

Haha that'd be awesome, but I think it's a porthole. What to do when money isn't a problem
    I eat, I sleep, I ski.

Quote Originally Posted by AlpenChronicHabitual View Post
    ^That is nice^
    Only this week I saw an ad for an Alaskan and did not know what it was until some searching. Here is the link to advert and video. Pick up in ICELAND!!! From the Seattle CL: Alaskan / Alcan Camper and GMC 3500 - $46900 (Iceland or Chehalis, WA)

Mute button & play:

Something more reasonable in Bremerton, camper shell $800: http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/rvs/2696773394.html

I just bought a rolling condo. 35' of Winnebago bad-assery. Should be great for building some family memories. I'm looking for a bit of advice though. Some have mentioned getting a couple of catalytic heaters to heat the rv without haveing to run down the batteries. I've also been told to get a seperate generator that can be used to power the furnace. What's the best way to go?