Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sorry Baristas

Sorry Baristas

But your customers that tip you after paying $3.25 for a latte are fucking stupid. I know that's your fixie repair fund but come on, do you really deserve another dollar?
    I still call it The Jake.

BagMy40oz Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    But your customers that pay $3.25 for a latte are fucking stupid.
    FTFY

But your customers that tip you after paying $3.25 for a latte are fucking stupid. I know that's your fixie repair fund but come on, do you really deserve another dollar?
    Bottle of Beer in a bar - $3.50
    Grab, pop, serve: takes 5 seconds
    Everyone leaves the $.50, and you're a cheap motherfucker if you don't.

If it's ok to tip the bartender why not the barista? Waaaaay more effort (and skill, in the scenario above) to serve a good latte.

gunit130 Guest
    But your customers that pay $3.25 for a latte are fucking stupid.
    ^^That's what you should have wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post

If it's ok to tip the bartender why not the barista? Waaaaay more effort (and skill, in the scenario above) to serve a good latte.
    Aren't bartender's generally paid less than minimum wage on the assumption that they'll make it up in tips? I doubt the same is true for baristas.

Fuck 'em. You want to make more? Go to college or learn a real trade.
    If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid.

- Eddie Izzard

Yeah no shit. Way to be a cheap ass motherfucker. If $3.25 is too much for a fucking cup of coffee, don't buy it. Buying it, then stiffing the server because it costs too much is fucking lame.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Correct, in some situations. Being a bartender, tips are a huge portion of the paycheck, under the table of course. and, as a bartender, i feel inclined to tip more, usually buck a beer, and then 5 bucks, maybe more at the end of the night.

baristas, if they are cool/cute/make conversation/remember your name, get a buck or 2, normally, none unless its a little shop, not starbucks or dunkin, etc.

Local baristas/bars/coffee shops are the places I tip more, more often.
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSpotted... View Post
    Aren't bartender's generally paid less than minimum wage on the assumption that they'll make it up in tips? I doubt the same is true for baristas.

No. In this state, everybody gets minimum wage. In other states, bartenders and baristas can both be paid under minimum wage.
    Living vicariously through myself.

While this seems a good analogy, I usually have more than one drink at the bar and the tip is To Insure Promptness. That being said on the rare occasion that I get a latte, I always tip the change if soem effort was put into it, but only at local independents, which is pretty much all I patronize.

edit: Why does it not surprise me that BMILLS is a cheapskate...?
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

The age old tip debate.... this should be good for about 4 pages.

Sure, but this isn't a bar. It's a coffee shop.

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernSpotted... View Post

Exactly, the bartender is making 2.25/hr depending on tips. Starbucks employees make good hourly wage or salary and benefits. The whole tip jar/tip wars thing is pretty recent within the last two years.

Quote Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
    Yeah no shit. Way to be a cheap ass motherfucker. If $3.25 is too much for a fucking cup of coffee, don't buy it. Buying it, then stiffing the server because it costs too much is fucking lame.
    Sorry chief, it's not about being cheap. I don't carry cash and they don't have a tip line on receipts. Beyond that it's just an overall trend of people looking for tips in jobs that never before generation x took over had a tipping component to them. Waiters, cocktailers, bartenders, dog walkers, the guy wiping down my car at the carwash, sure. But the Starbucks barista? Sorry pal, that tip jar is new.

And to the rest of you fuckers judging about how much anyone spends on a cup of coffee or otherwise; I'm sure anyone here could point to aspects of your discretionary spending that appear absurd, including the endless shit we all buy on our favorite pastime, so keep it to yourself hipsters.

gunit130 Guest
    What's next, a tip jar for bank tellers?

I will tip for a well made espresso drink and not for some poorly tamped, foamy milked, flavourless cup of cat crap.

On the rare occasion I leave home without my coffee, I have an extra travel mug in the truck and stop at one of the 4 billion coffee shops and get......coffee. It is self serve, then pay 1 dollar. Yet the chick looks at me, then that make shift tip jar, then at me again.

Sorry, this does not call for a tip.

At a bar, first tip is usually a $5 to keep em coming promptly and if they do (their job well), dollar a beer usually after each next one. If not prompt, hope they like their $5.

Eating out, 15% norm. Good service, 20%. Outstanding service, 25%.

Tips should be earned, not expected. (I sound like my grandfather)

tough to tell how good the coffee is considering you pay, then tip, then move to the "pick up your drink" area. Unless you consider tipping for the proper functioning of a point of sale terminal a skill worthy of gratuity.

When I feel cheap is at a game or concert; when I just paid $11.00 for a beer, do i leave a tip, or assume that at those prices the proprietor can muster the goodwill to pay a decent wage. In those situations, if I get a thank you, or a smile when I order, or any small sign of customer service i will tip. No smile, no greeting, no thank you, go fuck yourself.

As stated above TIPS is an acronym for to insure prompt service(should be ensure, but the acronym is a no go with proper English). Passing a beer over the counter witha miserable attitude gets you nothing.

PS: I am a great tipper when the service is good, great or exceptional, a good tipper when it is fair, and only tip poorly if the service detracts from the experience, not if the food sucks, drinks weak, etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Phall View Post
    Correct, in some situations. Being a bartender, tips are a huge portion of the paycheck, under the table of course. and, as a bartender, i feel inclined to tip more, usually buck a beer, and then 5 bucks, maybe more at the end of the night.

baristas, if they are cool/cute/make conversation/remember your name, get a buck or 2, normally, none unless its a little shop, not starbucks or dunkin, etc.

Local baristas/bars/coffee shops are the places I tip more, more often.
    ding, ding, ding! If it's a local independent shop, that usually don't take debit cards, they'll get the change, maybe a buck. Not Starbucks "tip wars" jar.

Quote Originally Posted by Rip'nStick View Post
    edit: Why does it not surprise me that BMILLS is a cheapskate...?
    I didn't know we knew each other? You should be so lucky to be my bartender/garbage man/mailman/dog walker/car washer/grocery bagger/valet/doorman/bellhop/skyhop/flight attendant/dog groomer/etc. I tip exceedingly well because it gets me better service in the future. Starbucks couldn't tell me from the next 10,000 people through the door, and it usually shows in my drink on the way to work. Sorry no tip for the many reasons stated above. But if you still feel inclined to pretend to know everything about me, just PM me the address of the Starbucks you barista at and I'll be sure to swing by and drop a 10 spot in your jar.

Quote Originally Posted by gunit130 View Post
    What's next, a tip jar for bank tellers?
    You have no idea. Around here I've seen it on the counter of multiple dry-cleaners, the lady scanning my groceries (not the bagger), the counter at at least 2 gas stations (inside the store), and every fucking drive through in town with the exception of McDonalds and Chick fil-a.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMtnPinhead View Post

PS: I am a great tipper when the service is good, great or exceptional, a good tipper when it is fair, and only tip poorly if the service detracts from the experience, not if the food sucks, drinks weak, etc....
    tips get shared with the cooks (where I used to work at least) so you can take into account how good your food was when you're tipping

I don't tip. I don't believe in it.

- Mr. Pink
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

ok I agree with you BMills, Starbucks doesn't get a tip while well made with good service at an independent does. And the tip jar phenomon is annoying. I was wrong about you being a cheapskate.

Now come on and pony up a tip, I put extra foam on it just for you.
    Education must be the answer, we've tried ignorance and it doesn't work!

Bmills = douche.

File this one under "things I don't care too much about." My wife's mother, an immigrant single mother of two, is convinced that everyone is trying to take advantage of her, including the underground barista-tip coalition. I understand it, but I still tell her to chill the hell out. If I took a principled stand on every aspect of my life, I'd be too busy to live it.

I just hosted 12 folks in town for dinners, lunches, activities, bar crawl, etc. for my job. Just going through the receipts for my expense report and noticed I made one waiter's night.

My bill was around $1,000 for the first night's dinner and I tipped 20% (because it's easy math, but the waiter kind of sucked). As I was going through the receipts I saw they automatically added an 18% gratuity for our group, which I know is standard, but I wasn't paying attention so I ended up tipping 20% on the dinner, drinks and the waiter's tip. I gotta eat that extra 20% out of my pocket to learn my lesson.

Wish it were some hottie waitress, but it was just a dude that barely earned the original 18%.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicMtnPinhead View Post
    As stated above TIPS is an acronym for to insure prompt service
    Sorry, but this is wrong.

Exceptionally produced espresso gets a tip.

Pushing a button and waiting for shots to come out does not get a tip.

Similarly, beers at a bar rarely get tips unless I know the bartender.

Mixed drinks that are well made get tips.

Also semi unrelated, even though I know I'm supposed to be tipping on service and that the servers get the tip, I can't keep the food out of my mind at restaurants. Overpriced mediocre food will make me leave a paltry tip for even the greatest server. An exceptional meal and the server would practically have to spill a bottle of wine on my lap to not take a way a great tip. Anybody else end up doing this?
    Quote Originally Posted by twodogs View Post
    Hey Phill, why don't you post your tax returns, here on TGR, asshole. And your birth certificate.

I agree with most of the above. Recently I ordered a "Jim and ginger" ...bartender handed me said drink and remarked "might've over poured and not left much room for the ginger ale..."
    To me that's a $5 tip. I got a whole fucking glass of Jim Beam for $9.50, tip included; not a bad deal. And the tip insures prompt service for the rest of the evening.

However, if you start a tab from the getgo, and only drink beers, and the tip 15% upon cashout, you=sucker. $1/beer is the max.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.