Thread: Save Baldy !

Save Baldy !

Buddy just sent me this youtube link. 1980 ? documentary on Mopunt Baldy in the Los Angeles area.
    Pretty cool

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UcZuDiN-LZA

Does anyone remember a heli ski service on Baldy?

I started going in the late 90's in college. I remember paying around $40/day. They had a cool policy of $7/hr and then gave a credit. I would ski 4 hours a day and get $12 credit. Every 5th day was free. Great mountain and really fun north facing slopes. Cool for SoCal
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Baldy's got soul.

Sent from my XT1650 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I live in Upland most of my youth. Still amazed and kinda bummed I didn't spend more time at Baldy, but it was usually quicker and easier to just go to Mountain High

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    I live in Upland most of my youth. Still amazed and kinda bummed I didn't spend more time at Baldy, but it was usually quicker and easier to just go to Mountain High
    I had a Mt High and Baldy pass my senior year of college, plus I did a couple trips to Mammoth with the outdoors club. Baldy for pow days, Mt. High for jibbing or night skiing, and Mammoth for bigger terrain was not a shabby combo. I probably got 40+ days in while taking 5 upper-division classes each semester. Not too shabby.

What school?

I was a proud Sagehen in the early '00s.

Save Baldy !

Chirp. Me too, Pitzer style. Kind of awesome our Div 3 team has produced two NBA coaches now.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Chirp. Me too, Pitzer style. Kind of awesome our Div 3 team has produced two NBA coaches now.
    When I was an undergrad, Budenholzer organized an alumni/student thing at the Boston Garden during winter break. We saw the Spurs beat the Celtics and then got invited down to the parquet floor to talk hoops with the Spurs coaching staff. They lived up to their rep as knowledgeable and gracious with their time. Duncan came over and said hi. He seemed nice. Kinda quiet. Also: gigantic.

iIRC, Baldy was founded by the Pomona ski club way back in the day.

Pop was coach when I was there. Great guy. He did an alum thing when they played the Lakers this year too. Pretty cool

I first hiked Baldy in the early 70's, winter ascent in the mid 70's, and skied in the late 70's...good times, Great mountain if you hit conditions right, but conditions like in that film aren't very common.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

love that place... its where I learned to ski steeps and pow in socal before moving to mammoth then tahoe