Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boot Fitting for GF

So I have a question about getting boots for the gf. She prefers the blue runs, but she also likes to keep up with the guys and has done a double black with us before.

I'm trying to convince her to get a pair of boots since she already has some skis, but she doesn't want to drop very much $$$. I'm looking at the Quest Access boots because we can get them for super cheap (plus they have "walk mode" so maybe I could get her to come on some easy BC day tours), but the last width is 104mm and I'm afraid that may be too wide even though they'd probably be comfy. She's really ~100mm, but with a ridiculous instep and calf size.

Is this going to be a problem in general if she's doing 50% blues, 50% blacks?

We're going to need to see some photos of your girlfriend naked in order to give you good advice

Get a walk-able boot for the Apres and for walking from the parking lot. Trust me, it pays off by 6pm when shes going to be hangry.

Dalbello walkable boots are comfy and often cheap on evo / ebay or the comformable Salomons work well too

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    We're going to need to see some photos of your girlfriend naked in order to give you good advice
    God I love how fast the shit posting is here! Bring it on fuckkkkkeerrr.

Quote Originally Posted by Mbuerman7 View Post
    Get a walk-able boot for the Apres and for walking from the parking lot. Trust me, it pays off by 6pm when shes going to be hangry.

Dalbello walkable boots are comfy and often cheap on evo / ebay or the comformable Salomons work well too
    Got it, so basically it'll be fine. Perfect.

take her to a shop known for fitting boots, introduce to her to them, walk away and pick her back up with her new boots.

The reasons for this are numerous. Two important highlights are:
    -You probably don't know enough to do a good job
    -Doing a good job is hard, and sometimes the pros fuck up. If they do fuck up, it's not your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by NW_SKIER View Post
    This is the proper answer.
    Training for Alpental

That 104 last is sized for a 26.5 boot. As the boot gets smaller the width gets narrower.
    Take to a bootfitter, she can describe her skiing ability, her wants and her price range. Let the pros do the job, and you're not to blame.

Yeah you guys are probably right, was just trying to hop on a deal. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    take her to a shop known for fitting boots, introduce to her to them, walk away and pick her back up with her new boots.

The reasons for this are numerous. Two important highlights are:
    -You probably don't know enough to do a good job
    -Doing a good job is hard, and sometimes the pros fuck up. If they do fuck up, it's not your fault.
    This and seriously need nekid pictures to assess her anatomy for proper boot advice.

Go to an excellent boot fitter, drop the cash, and win! Or save money and suffer.
    No matter where you go, there you are. - BB

Quote Originally Posted by realjwin View Post
    God I love how fast the shit posting is here! Bring it on fuckkkkkeerrr.
    Seriously. At Least some feet pics.

How the fuck do expect to get a serious answer with without providing all the information?
    "Its not the arrow, its the Indian" - M.Pinto

Buying your girlfriend the cheapest boots is never as cheap as you think it will be.

Accounting for grief, it's probably the least costly part.

Sounds like she needs either the white or blue ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Depends.
    How cheap can you get the Quests for?
    Is it a lot less than $180?
    If so you could risk getting them.
    That would only pay for maybe 4 boot rentals, so worth the gamble, imho.
    BUT WAIT:
    You said she has skis - what does she have? Or what kinda length/waist?
    How did you get your skiboots?
    Bootfitter?
    You mentioned bc days, so assume you have some experience/knowledge of gear?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Thats not how I did it, I started with the boot (size 24 Garmont Xena) and then searched for the fairest in all the land who fits the boot
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The Tortoise View Post
    Buying your girlfriend the cheapest boots is never as cheap as you think it will be.

Accounting for grief, it's probably the least costly part.
    She's only his gf, how long have they been dating? If not long, get her cheap ass boots, there's a good chance she'll be banging some new guy in Punta Cana next year at this time.

Wife? Thatsa whole other ball of wax. You drop them off at the boot fitter and pay that dude handsomely. Orthotics? ka-ching. Boot heaters? ka-ching Boot gloves? ka-ching. It's only money.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by TurxSki View Post
    Depends.
    How cheap can you get the Quests for?
    Is it a lot less than $180?
    If so you could risk getting them.
    That would only pay for maybe 4 boot rentals, so worth the gamble, imho.
    BUT WAIT:
    You said she has skis - what does she have? Or what kinda length/waist?
    How did you get your skiboots?
    Bootfitter?
    You mentioned bc days, so assume you have some experience/knowledge of gear?
    Yah under $150 that's why I'm tempted, but I don't wanna be wrong and then she'll be all upset she spent the money. She's been renting so I think she'll be fine with these - they'll save her money over the course of one season and there's no way they're worse than rentals...

And hell no I'm not paying for any of this that's why it's the issue (or not I guess). I've convinced her to buy some Saffron 7's I found for cheap on CL so just trying to get the rest now...

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Thats not how I did it, I started with the boot (size 24 Garmont Xena) and then searched for the fairest in all the land who fits the boot
    Yeah I fucked up....

Quote Originally Posted by realjwin View Post
    ...they'll save her money over the course of one season and there's no way they're worse than rentals...
    Exactly!
    And there is time it takes to get set up. And time to return them on busy days.
    I guess if you are *that guy* could find some way to have her try on a pair somewhere (rei?).
    Buy a coupla packs of Molefoam?

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

If you like her- get a comfy warm boot and take time off from the bros to ski with her. You can always tighten them up later.

If you don't like her- get her a race fit alpine boot.

Physiologically it is harder for women to tolerate real tight fits. Wide forefeet and frequent poor distal circulation at the extremities make fitting tough.

Walk mode is nice, but too many times I get the "what's wrong with my boots" line from the ladies - only to find out they have been skiing with the walk mode engaged on one (or both) boots all day.

Actually not just the ladies- guy too often forget to flip the switch to ski mode.
    Ski Shop - Basement of the Hostel

Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish.

Mark Twain

^^^All good advice, but it all boils down to getting her the red ones.

Oh, and do a search here JONG. Had you made the slightest effort you would have answered your own question.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Tits or GTFRO
    (Tits or get the fucking red ones)
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Quote Originally Posted by skiing-in-jackson View Post
    Physiologically it is harder for women to tolerate real tight fits. Wide forefeet and frequent poor distal circulation at the extremities make fitting tough.
    I'm calling BS on this physiologic thing. Somehow my wife manages to fit into these without complaining half as much as she does about ski boots.

"timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Yeah yeah yeah, but what if I want to be a JONG and waste all your time? Who really wins...

Anyways, we're buying the boots and it'll all be fine and dandy for me since I'm not in them lol.