Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

mileage or year when buying vehicle

am moving to Colorado for the winter. Was planning on buying a car down there to leave there. Price range is $10000 to $15000. Have a mileage ticket for monday to fly down me and dog. Was than planning on spending a couple of days in Denver buying car. Anyway just saw the grocer is selling his wife's car. 2006 Kia Sorento deluxe package, 37000 miles. He is asking $8000 come with new extra set of tires almost new winter studs. This car has really never left Cordova. Now I think maybe buy it tomorrow and drive down maybe make some turns in Canada. Was pretty hard to find that low of mileage on a vehicle in Colorado in my price range. 2006 too old no matter the miles?
    off your knees Louie

That vehicle with those miles should be solid.

I say do it.

thank's for the reply my other two vehicles are that vintage with 150000 miles and I decided not to drive either down.
    off your knees Louie

If that's the car you're interested in, I say go for it. Obviously really high miles are a concern, but super low miles can be too. This seems to be in the sweet spot for age and miles. They're low, but not crazy low.

How much does the ocean air affect cars there in Cordova? Is much salt used on the roads? Around here there are island cars with low miles because they don't drive very far, I don't think low mileage is as big a deal as it was 10, 15 years ago. $8,000 seems high for an 11 year old Kia.

Reports are that the used car market is quite strong here in the Denver area. Not saying the Kia is the right choice since I'm not real familiar with that model but if you think it's solid and a good deal then it's probably worth considering. Decent awd/4wd vehicles are fetching pretty good money here, especially now with snow on the not too distant horizon.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

I'm not sure about Cordova, but cars in Denver are expensive!
    Leave No Turn Unstoned!

I paid $8,500 for 10 year old Corolla with 50,000 miles back in 2003.
    Car served me well til 145,000 miles and gone for $2,500 7 years later.
    You might also consider the money you'll put into maintain, fix and money you'll get back eventually.

Yeah, used car market here is crazy. My vehicles is a 2006 with 150000 miles and I drive it everywhere. 2006 isn't "too old" mechanically, though it won't have any tech bells and whistles.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I think it's a good indicator to drop the car when the maintenance start costing as much as car payments per year.
    I got rid of my corolla when it costs me 4 grand to fix total in several occasions.
    If you know how to work on cars, I guess that's a whole different story.
    Last edited by nutmegchoi; 10-21-2016 at 08:21 AM.

Change it up: fly to Salt Lake, meet maggots, buy one of these after having BobMC check it out:

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3269835?ad_cid=7

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3254075?ad_cid=10

http://www.ksl.com/auto/listing/3204936?ad_cid=16

drive to Moab, enjoy.
    Continue to Colorado, enjoy.
    return to Alaska.

A firnd of mine got her mothers 20 yr old corrola with almost no miles and it was bullet proof, cars wear out because people use them so I say milage is important and what car is it cuz some of them sucked right out the factory door, I don't know much about Kia sorrento

I always laughed at the prices people would pay for mid 90's toyota PU's & runers "cuz its a toyota" IME driven hard and long they broke/wore out as well
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

so get your mom's corolla then. who cares

If I was cruel I would say something nasty about your mom at this point in the thread
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Change it up: fly to Salt Lake, meet maggots, buy one of these after having BobMC check it out:

drive to Moab, enjoy.
    return to Alaska.
    This makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

drive to Moab, enjoy.
    return to Alaska.
    Sounds like a plan.
    But the first truck is really over 500,000 miles???!!!

Did not click on the links till now as the overall plan was good. I am not the fanboy of diesels that so many are. Injectors, cold weather, poor fuel are some of the issues. If you need the torque, it can't be beat, but otherwise ....

You can get a B7 A4 in that price range. Forget the kia.

I really do not care the make of vehicle. I just want a wagon or SUV 4 wheel drive. Looks like it is pretty hard to find one for less than 100000 miles anywhere for under $10000. just went through Denver craigslist. Ridiculous prices on Toyota trucks, thankfully I already own the work truck .Heading out to buy the KIA. I know the history and the miles are good, not any visible rust will look harder this morning. Hopefully 3200 miles of driving will not totally suck. Thank's for the comments.
    off your knees Louie

Will be more of an adventure than flying that's for sure. Neighbors have same car of about the same age and they rave about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Will be more of an adventure than flying that's for sure. Neighbors have same car of about the same age and they rave about it.
    come visit will drive you around. I have heated seats.
    off your knees Louie

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    I think it's a good indicator to drop the car when the maintenance start costing as much as car payments per year.
    I got rid of my corolla when it costs me 4 grand to fix total in several occasions.
    If you know how to work on cars, I guess that's a whole different story.
    What could cost over $4k to fix on a corolla? Motors are a grand and a tranny is less then two grand. Oh, westchester, NY repair prices... Not a lot of everyday mechanics that can afford to live in that area, so I'm assuming dealer repair prices.

Quote Originally Posted by tenB View Post
    What could cost over $4k to fix on a corolla? Motors are a grand and a tranny is less then two grand. Oh, westchester, NY repair prices... Not a lot of everyday mechanics that can afford to live in that area, so I'm assuming dealer repair prices.
    It wasn't just one fix.
    Things started falling apart and it was time to let go.

Things are pretty pricy around here.
    Recently I had to let '08 E92 M3 go as well.
    Throttle Body Actuator costed $2,800 to repair.
    That was probably beginning of many more to come.

Quote Originally Posted by BFD View Post
    I really do not care the make of vehicle. I just want a wagon or SUV 4 wheel drive. Looks like it is pretty hard to find one for less than 100000 miles anywhere for under $10000. just went through Denver craigslist. Ridiculous prices on Toyota trucks, thankfully I already own the work truck .Heading out to buy the KIA. I know the history and the miles are good, not any visible rust will look harder this morning. Hopefully 3200 miles of driving will not totally suck. Thank's for the comments.
    They are around. I hound craigslist quite a bit as I'm looking for a DD as its 100 miles round trip to work for me. Anything in particular you want? There are a number of 06-08 Subarus under 100k

Or was the Kia the final answer?