Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Front dérailleurs and 1x11 conversions

I broke my front derailleur on my MTB a while ago, and I can't find the front derailleur I need to fix it. Specialized.... Its a SRAM 2x10 x7 bottom pull s1 mount. (I had no idea how complicated that shit could be). I'm now considering switching it over to 1x10 or 1x11. With my old set up 33-22 in front and 11-32 (could be 12-32) cassette,I could run out the gears on the flats. I'm currently in the Bay Area, but I might be back to Colorado in the not too distance future.

This is on a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29. Is it worth the trouble to convert? If I stay in the bay area I'm probably going to swap out for a hardtail in the next 9-12 months. If I move to Colorado I'll probably ride it through the next 9-12 months and then get something newer. Is there a place to find the front derailleur I need that I haven't been able to find? This is my preference.

Help a bike mechanic jong out.

You have a picture of the mount?

I might have somthin for ya
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

I'm looking at about $350 to convert to 1x11 and could do it cheaper. A shimano 11s cassette will go on your feehub, and then shifter, derailleur, chain, chainring. I think sram NX is about the cheapest way to go, or maybe shimano XT.

And then whatever chainring fits your cranks, you'd probably want about a 32t.

Pics

image by Ed Carley, on Flickr

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    I broke my front derailleur on my MTB a while ago, and I can't find the front derailleur I need to fix it. Specialized.... Its a SRAM 2x10 x7 bottom pull s1 mount. (I had no idea how complicated that shit could be). I'm now considering switching it over to 1x10 or 1x11. With my old set up 33-22 in front and 11-32 (could be 12-32) cassette,I could run out the gears on the flats. I'm currently in the Bay Area, but I might be back to Colorado in the not too distance future.

This is on a 2011 Stumpjumper FSR 29. Is it worth the trouble to convert? If I stay in the bay area I'm probably going to swap out for a hardtail in the next 9-12 months. If I move to Colorado I'll probably ride it through the next 9-12 months and then get something newer. Is there a place to find the front derailleur I need that I haven't been able to find? This is my preference.

Help a bike mechanic jong out.
    Check out the Sunrace wide range 10 speed 11-40t and 11-42t cassettes. They start at $58 and should work well with your sram 10-speed rear derailleur/shifter/chain:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...?category=5140

If you order from Universal, they have a number of narrow-wide chainring options for around $50. There is a discount code VIP10, which is 10% off $100, and free shipping over $150. You should be able to get a very nice 1x10 setup going for about $100. Here's a 30t ring (or 32t or 34t) that would get you to a setup for $95+shipping total:

https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...s.php?id=65388

I'd say that converting to a 1x10 setup on this bike will make it more attractive when you go to sell it, and the cost will come back to you.

Side note, as someone who's run a 1x setup for over 15 years (!!!), you have to be far more worried about your lack of low end vs. lack of top end. I think you actually have a 11x36 cassette:

http://legacy.specialized.com/us/en/...ive/2011/sjfsr

Your 22x36 low end and 22x32 2nd lowest gear are both easier than a 30x42, so keep that in mind. Or, if you're a tough guy, you might be ok with your current cassette and a 30x36 or 32x36 low end.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 08-05-2016 at 06:43 PM.

Shit. I've got a bottom pull 2x but it's a different direct mount. I think yours is wider bolt spacing. Shimano FDM665 if you want to look it up.

Sorry man.
    Besides the comet that killed the dinosaurs nothing has destroyed a species faster than entitled white people.-ajp

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post
    Check out the Sunrace wide range 10 speed 11-40t and 11-42t cassettes. They start at $58 and should work well with your sram 10-speed rear derailleur/shifter/chain:

If you order from Universal, they have a number of narrow-wide chainring options for around $50. There is a discount code VIP10, which is 10% off $100, and free shipping over $150. You should be able to get a very nice 1x10 setup going for about $100. Here's a 30t ring (or 32t or 34t) that would get you to a setup for $95+shipping total:

I'd say that converting to a 1x10 setup on this bike will make it more attractive when you go to sell it, and the cost will come back to you.

Side note, as someone who's run a 1x setup for over 15 years (!!!), you have to be far more worried about your lack of low end vs. lack of top end. I think you actually have a 11x36 cassette:

Your 22x36 low end and 22x32 2nd lowest gear are both easier than a 30x42, so keep that in mind. Or, if you're a tough guy, you might be ok with your current cassette and a 30x36 or 32x36 low end.
    Thanks for all the info! It seems like I might have to go to 1x anyway. I'll check all of this out. I'll probably have some questions later.

Quote Originally Posted by kidwoo View Post
    Shit. I've got a bottom pull 2x but it's a different direct mount. I think yours is wider bolt spacing. Shimano FDM665 if you want to look it up.

Sorry man.

Thanks for checking for me. It seems like it some specialized Specialguys parts. I've got one shop in town calling to see if they can get it, and if not, I guess I'm going to a 1x setup. I was just hoping to avoid spending the extra $$.

You could go to a 28T and save the cassette and get close on the low end but loose the high end.
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

fwiw started running a 1x 11 32 ring in the front/ 42 largest in the back (I think) a couple wks ago and am so happy/impressed with gearing
    I like riding xc as well as dh and no chain loss on the dh and excellent gearing for xc too.
    didn't think it would be as great as it is but love having the zero front derailleur= 1 less issue

Bonus the handle bars also feel cleaner having the dropper post lever on the left then just rear derailleur on right
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by Damian Sanders View Post

So basically all I need to do is replace the chain rings with a 30t front, yank all the front dear stuff off, and maybe add a longer chain and I'm good to go? Maybe add the 42t wolf ring?

Quote Originally Posted by Edgnar View Post
    So basically all I need to do is replace the chain rings with a 30t front, yank all the front dear stuff off, and maybe add a longer chain and I'm good to go? Maybe add the 42t wolf ring?
    Well, you're going to get proper ratio jumps (and better shifting) in the top end small cogs with the sunrace cassette, so I think that's the better option vs. the add on large cog causing weird ratio spacing - for virtually the same price. If you can drop $20 more for a new chain at the same time, that's probably the wise move too. All new wear parts, if it's time - cassette, chainring and chain - that's a good move, for like $110-120.
    Last edited by Damian Sanders; 08-05-2016 at 10:51 PM.

Been doin 1x10 with manual front shift for a long time now. Prob cheaper to go with Shim? But black/oneup 28/36x40 works for me. Long ups (and even better) long downs. Works. Mostly 36 cuz of bike parks. Need to catch up after casing hah. Way better than front derail like I used to have though.

Check out 11 speed SLX. I just ordered SLX derailleur, shifter and chain with XT 11-42 cassette from backcountry.com for $185. You could get the SLX cassette instead, which is $20 cheaper but heavier.

You'll need a narrow-wide chainring on top of that, so factor in $50 for that.

I'm about to post up a full (and new) SRAM NX 1x11 drivetrain for sale.... cassette, chain, shifter, derailleur, crankset, bottom bracket and 30t N/W chainring. Depending on your bottom bracket, you might need a different one than the GXP I have, but that shouldn't cost much. I want to get $250 plus shipping out of it. Pictures coming later this morning.

I have an XX1 1x11 setup for sale.

You should be able to find a Shimano FD that works if you want to stick 2x. SRAM and Shimano RD/shifters aren't compatible, but FD are.
    If going 1x, just go all-in 11sp with new shifter/chain/cassette/rd. That SLX bc.com deal is solid. New SLX is good.

I'm currently on a 2x10 that I plan on upgrading to 1x as soon as I wear it out, which technically it is, but still shifting clean. Would I need new cranks if I go single ring? I was looking at a complete xt drivetrain including cranks and bb for about $325, but would love to save some money. That deal from backcountry mentioned above sounds pretty good if I can keep my current cranks (Sram), and then I could go with an oval ring. Also now considering going 1x10 based on the advice above, but not sure how it would work for me. I'm in Tahoe, so lots of long, steep climbs, but also some road riding to link up loops, so need both high and low range to be close to what I have now. Almost never drop below 22x28, looks like 34x42 matches up pretty well with that, or will that slight difference and lack of a bailout gear have me wishing for a 32t? What about with a 34t oval, are the claimed added power benefits enough to make up for it?
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

If you almost never drop below 22x28, how often do you need to pedal above 32x11? As mentioned above, losing bottom end usually is more costly than losing top end. The 3% increase vs. 22x28 might be enough to notice if you land in 22x28 regularly, and the lack of a bailout gear will be more noticeable on the rare occasion that it matters, but whether it's worth picking the 32t depends on how much you need the top end. Ovals seem to help both ends but quantifying that is hard--maybe not enough to justify more than a 1-2% loss of range depending on the rider.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmm...pow! View Post
    I'm currently on a 2x10 that I plan on upgrading to 1x as soon as I wear it out, which technically it is, but still shifting clean. Would I need new cranks if I go single ring? I was looking at a complete xt drivetrain including cranks and bb for about $325, but would love to save some money. That deal from backcountry mentioned above sounds pretty good if I can keep my current cranks (Sram), and then I could go with an oval ring. Also now considering going 1x10 based on the advice above, but not sure how it would work for me. I'm in Tahoe, so lots of long, steep climbs, but also some road riding to link up loops, so need both high and low range to be close to what I have now. Almost never drop below 22x28, looks like 34x42 matches up pretty well with that, or will that slight difference and lack of a bailout gear have me wishing for a 32t? What about with a 34t oval, are the claimed added power benefits enough to make up for it?
    My wife's 2x SRAM chain rings are toast, and I've spec'd out an upgrade path for her bike. Something similar might work for you.

Current: 2x10 X9 with a mid cage type 2 X9 rear derailleur.

Planned switch: direct mount SRAM 1x chain ring. GX 11 speed shifter. Shimano XT cassette. 11 speed chain. Total cost $150-$200 depending on where I order it from.

Input requested: am I asking for trouble pairing the Shimano cassette with the SRAM other bits? How about the gx shifter with my existing type 2 X9 derailleur? The Mrs currently rides with a 24-36 granny, which she uses sometimes, and at least some of the granny gear usage is attributable to recent childbirth. 30x11-42 ought to be low enough to keep her from murdering me in my sleep, right? I think I'm in the clear with these considerations, but if anyone wants to set me straight, please do so before I start ordering shit.

I'm not sure the derailleur and shifter will play happy but you can try it before spending money on one. Everything else should work fine, I'm planning to use a sram shifter/RD with a shimano cassette as well.

The 11-46 cassette should be available this week, I was going to use it with a 34t ring on a 29er, but now I'm thinking about that last jump, where I'll either have to be in 34x37 or 34x46. A 32t might be more useful in that I won't have to constantly go to the granny. Probably going to just get both rings and swap if needed.

30x42 is like 26x36.

I'm almost positive you'll need to use a new RD. The range of that X9 cage will be maxed out.

So just to clarify - going from double ring to single doesn't require a new set of cranks? Mine are the bolt on style.
    “I really lack the words to compliment myself today.” - Alberto Tomba

I finished making the conversion on Friday. It was actually remarkably easy on my 2011 Stumpjumper FSR. I ended up doing 1x10 instead of 1x11. Replaced the chain rings with a narrow wide 30t, slapped an 11-40 cassette on the back, and a new chain. I left my old 2011 x-9 medium cage derailleur on there. I went out for a ride on Saturday and didn't drop the chain a single time. I didn't ride anything super gnarly, but I made it through a few small rock gardens and some rooty sections with out any trouble. I'm pretty pleased with the conversion and it rides nice. Now I just need to get my ass back in mountain biking shape.

Thanks for the advice Damien Sanders, it seems to have worked out nicely.

I'm still pretty convinced that black magic that only bike mechanics know is the only thing that makes rear derailleurs work, but I feel like I learned some elements of that magic through this project. I think I just need to actually replace the cables and housing for my rear der.

Old vs new by Ed Carley, on Flickr

Completo
    Mtb by Ed Carley, on Flickr

Wow, glad it worked out, like a whole new bike! Happy to help!