TARGHEE o.b. gate change for the better

http://www.tetonvalleynews.net/news/...cc4c002e0.html
    Rachael Horne TVN Staff | 0 comments

Grand Targhee Resort is installing a new backcountry gate this season, allowing skiers to access Forest Service land whenever they want. The access is being called the Scotty's Gate, named after a couloir on the backside of the resort. The new gate will be located at the bottom of the Mary's Nipple bootpack, in front of the Mary's Nipple gate. The Mary's Nipple gate will move farther south to allow for the backcountry access gate.

The backcountry gate has never been done at Targhee. The concept is like that at Jackson. In 2000 Jackson introduced its open-gate policy allowing riders to access the backcountry via gates located at various places on the mountain.

Targhee has had the Mary's Nipple access, but that was not always open because it lies within the resort's permit boundary, and avalanche control was done by the resort's ski patrol. That's the big difference people don't often understand, said Kurt Kluegel, the Forest Service liaison with Targhee in the Teton Basin Ranger District.

"In the past, access to the backside of the resort was dependent on whether Mary's Nipple was open - skiers and riders exited the resort boundary into the backcountry from an area beyond the resort boundary into the backcountry from an area beyond the Mary's Nipple gate," said Ski Patrol Director Joe Calder in a press release. "The new gate location provides consistent access to the backcountry, allowing experienced guests to exit our boundary at any time, independent of patrol operation on Mary's Nipple."

The Scotty's Gate will be out of the way of avalanche control and open to riders at all times, regardless of whether the Mary's access is open or not. Now the decision to stay in or out of bounds rests squarely on the shoulders of its customers.

An incident near the end of the ski season last year led to debate about whether the resort could control public access to a national forest. Two skiers ducked the resort boundary past Mary's Nipple when a closure was in effect. Both had their passes pulled by the resort and were issued citations by the Teton County, Wyo. Sheriff's Department. One of the skiers was slapped with a no trespass order at Targhee until the resort sees it fit to lift the ban.

Kluegel said he's been pushing for the resort to install a gate for the past six years and that the Forest Service fully supports the gate. His job, he said, is to ensure that people have access to Forest Service land and this gate helps accomplish that.

The north end of the resort won't have an access gate. Kluegel said resort officials felt like it wasn't a safe backcountry skiing option. The access to the South Leigh drainage is also difficult to access if people get stuck out there. A man died last season after skiing past the northern resort boundary after becoming disoriented on the mountain.

To help sharpen backcountry skills, Targhee has added a new Beacon Park this year, thanks to a donation from Christian Santelices and efforts from GTR Ski Patrol. In the park, guests are able to practice finding buried avalanche transceivers at the base of the resort. GTR ski patrol will activate three different beacons each day for practice. Guests must wear their own beacons, and patrol-led clinics will be scheduled throughout the winter.

Grand Targhee will begin winter operations on Nov. 26.

To contact Rachael Horne e-mail

reporter2@tetonvalleynews.net.

lucky bastards, snowbird has one gate like that, the rest are limited access and rarely open.

This is hudge.

Though I do wonder how many tourists are going to go through this thing expecting to be spit out at the bottom of the lifts only to realize its a long hike back up to get to the resort again.

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    This is hudge.

Though I do wonder how many tourists are going to go through this thing expecting to be spit out at the bottom of the lifts only to realize its a long hike back up to get to the resort again.
    Wouldn't some of the runs back there end up out Teton Canyon? Yeah, that could blow several hours out of your day!
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    Wouldn't some of the runs back there end up out Teton Canyon? Yeah, that could blow several hours out of your day!
    If they are throwing the gate before the hike to Mary's it would have to access the ease facing backside. There is the long ridge that runs east to west (steve baugh (sp) memorial bowl is on that ridge) that you would have to hike up to get to Teton Canyon.

You need to get above that ridge to end up in Teton Canyon, right?

this is sick for Targhee, I wonder if the amount of exposure Jackson and Telluride have gotten has led to others doing this. Hopefully more will follow suit!

Quote Originally Posted by frozenwater View Post
    If they are throwing the gate before the hike to Mary's it would have to access the ease facing backside. There is the long ridge that runs east to west (steve baugh (sp) memorial bowl is on that ridge) that you would have to hike up to get to Teton Canyon.

You need to get above that ridge to end up in Teton Canyon, right?
    Right. Keep going down and you end up in South Leigh. That didn't work out so well for a lost skier last year. Hopefully they'll put in some good signage.

Quote Originally Posted by panchosdad View Post
    Right. Keep going down and you end up in South Leigh.
    OR scarily cliffed out...
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    OR scarily cliffed out...

Old and Getting Older........
    Amazing Days

My Flickr Photos

.....go out and make this season the best season of your life. Ski that line, take that trip, slide that rail, make that leap, live for the moment, and make memories with friends that’ll last a lifetime, because as a great man once said, “If you don’t do it this year, you’ll be one year older when you do.”

-Mike Rogge

i didn't know Mary's was avy controlled or in bounds. had i known, i prob would have attempted the hike.