Page 562 of 580 FirstFirst ... 557 558 559 560 561 562 563 564 565 566 567 ... LastLast
Results 14,026 to 14,050 of 14479
  1. #14026
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,443
    Pain for ARKK is in stocks like ZM and ROKU. Zoom reminds me of Netscape. Roku is good product but competition is stiff.

  2. #14027
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Behind the Zion Curtain
    Posts
    3,988
    A few years ago I had a regular customer bring in his car after hitting debris on the highway, we fixed all the mechanical issues and subbed out the bodywork. He received and cashed a check from the insurance company then wrote me a bad check to pay for it all.

    He wouldn’t make good on the check and I got the police involved, it was a 4k bill so the police were actually very helpful. I pressed fraud charges on his ass, had to go to court and testify and he was found guilty. Probation and “restitution.” (Which he never paid.)

    Luckily the state of Utah is fairly good about that shit. I’m no longer mad about it, so I chuckle every year when around tax time I get a check from the state in the amount of his tax return. As he’s dumb enough to think I’d take a 4k loss and not contact the police he doesn’t seem to change his deductions to not get a refund every year.

    Today I got a check for $385. Since it’s basically found money every year I figured I’d put it in the market and smile while he funds my retirement.

    Picked up 16 more shares of EPD with my found money. Just gained another $28.80/yr in dividend money, love that 7.7% yield. They reported pretty good quarterly numbers a few days ago, I like them as a long time hold and will continue loading up. I’m already gonna have to file k-1’s, may as well make some money.

  3. #14028
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    PRB
    Posts
    25,921
    Cool story, bro.

    Literally, cool story.

    I'm glad I'm not a small business owner.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "I'd eat a bag of Dicks and wash it down with a Coke any day." - iceman

  4. #14029
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    the ham
    Posts
    9,595
    Yeah, that is good.

  5. #14030
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,703
    That's poetic justice Bob

    RKT PTON on watch. Haven't identified any good ideas in a month or so tbh other than the small MVIS short

  6. #14031
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    That's poetic justice Bob

    RKT PTON on watch. Haven't identified any good ideas in a month or so tbh other than the small MVIS short
    Curious whether PTON for more downside or to play a rebound? I've never been sold on them as a business, but their stock price had proven me wrong so far.

  7. #14032
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,703
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    Curious whether PTON for more downside or to play a rebound? I've never been sold on them as a business, but their stock price had proven me wrong so far.
    I'm inclined to think it goes down further but it's got cult status. Will have to ponder more

  8. #14033
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,443
    PTON has high $ monthly subs. Wall Street has always liked that model even if they donít make money.

  9. #14034
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,703
    Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    PTON has high $ monthly subs. Wall Street has always liked that model even if they don’t make money.
    Also very high customer retention; high customer satisfaction (really high NPS). Hence their cult-like status which makes me skeptical of a short. Still mulling

  10. #14035
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    17,443

    Is the stock market going to tank?

    Why does COIN have any advantage over other banks as a custodial if digital currency is legit? I can see them being the premier broker but their valuation indicates so much more. Global regulation will also put brakes on their growth.

  11. #14036
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Edge of the Great Basin
    Posts
    2,820
    COIN is probably a better Netscape comparison than Zoom since Zoom isn't necessary a new type of thing. The argument for COIN, which I don't buy, is as something new there's potential for things like staking coins for people who don't won't to download an app, etc. Coinbase could fill the role as an intermediary for folks who don't want get involved with DAPS, dApps, DAOs, DeFi, or 'interest earning' DPoS wallets.

    Coinbase has done more than any other company in the crypto space to work regulators so if you wanted to borrow or lend Bitcoin, for example, then going through a company like Coinbase would be the safest option.

  12. #14037
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cloud City
    Posts
    7,665
    I'm still buying COIN.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

  13. #14038
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    939
    Of all of my rather boring (for this crowd) moves for the last 6 months, Toro (TTC) has surprisngly been my winner (not counting GE options when that stock was at ~$6).

  14. #14039
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    That's poetic justice Bob

    RKT PTON on watch. Haven't identified any good ideas in a month or so tbh other than the small MVIS short
    No good ideas either. Blood red on RKT, almost closed CC before earnings for a small gain, luckily waited until blood bath today and closed. Still holding lots of shares and waiting to offload.

    Closed MARA and RIOT CC today, luckily in the last few months have not been assigned or called away at all. Although I do have a $35 MARA CSP that expires the 21st, may get assigned there unless things turn around.

    Only new play was dipping a toe in BioTech nonsense that I said I would never touch. Bought $30 June Calls for HGEN (Last week, and then doubled down on the dip earlier this week) on the moonshot idea that they get EUA or bought out.

    YOLO account still up Bigly on the year, but seems to have slowed to a snails pace recently.

  15. #14040
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,703
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertM View Post
    No good ideas either. Blood red on RKT, almost closed CC before earnings for a small gain, luckily waited until blood bath today and closed. Still holding lots of shares and waiting to offload.

    YOLO account still up Bigly on the year, but seems to have slowed to a snails pace recently.
    My Yolo account is up 310% for the year. 280% of that was in the first 5 weeks (edit GME and RIOT). I suspect we're trending back to slower and steady
    Last edited by LeeLau; 05-06-2021 at 02:17 PM.

  16. #14041
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sea2Sky2Ski
    Posts
    2,110
    Yeah. Happy dance. My BRK.B is up 6.62% in 2 weeks!
    And the BRK.A stock they sell broke NASDAQ's computer system. The price was too big for their system to handle. HODL!
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/berkshi...rs-11620168548
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono

  17. #14042
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    My Yolo account is up 310% for the year. 280% of that was in the first 5 weeks (edit GME and RIOT). I suspect we're trending back to slower and steady
    Haha, 287% and 290% Also, very much thanks to GME and the early RIOT/MARA plays.

    Slower and steady for you means back to wheeling your boomer positions and trying to find the random opportunity?

    I'm contemplating parking most of my Yolo capital into VTI for the time being and taking a rest until things get exciting again. ETF trades make cash available same day and no taxable issues (Roth accounts). Trade out for some cash when I see an opportunity, but right now I am thinking that having a big chunk of cash tied up in CSPs for a bit may be missing out on steady total market growth (haven't run the actual numbers).

  18. #14043
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,703
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertM View Post

    Slower and steady for you means back to wheeling your boomer positions and trying to find the random opportunity?
    Correct. When I hit a certain number in the Yolo my personal check on myself is to take $ out and move it to the boomer retirement account. At start of the year wife and I sat down and figured out we had to live to 128 years old to spend all our cash if we basically sat on a beach and did nothing but park liquid assets in a near-to-zero risk account (eg TIPS or equivalent). So I gave myself the permission to let the Yolo account to grow to 200% of where I started the calendar year and then keep depleting that account when it hits the pre-determined 200%. So the Yolo is up more than 310% but the excess is drawn-down to boomer plays but I count draw-downs in NW calculations; after all part of the reason for draw-downs is to sequester assets to something safer so I can pay future taxes. The yolo to boomer rotation is when I started buying XOM, SU, more MSFT etc

    Boomer account is running approx 22% for the year annualized but that's because there's been more IV in options hence covered calls are returning greater. It's also tech-heavy so it reflects the general strength of tech. It also reflects my rotation from USD equivalents to BTC. I'm assuming both the Yolo and Boomer returns are not sustainable and will return to mean.

    At present I'll keep the YOLO account at where it is. Frankly GME scratched the gambling urge so thoroughly that I'm quite content to be patient and wait.

  19. #14044
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    354
    https://www.collaborativefund.com/bl...esting-sanity/

    Good read...I also will recommend Morgan's book "The Psychology of Money". I've gifted it to clients throughout the year and everyone has loved it. Great common sense lessons and reminders to steer you in the right direction.

  20. #14045
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Valley
    Posts
    354
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Correct. When I hit a certain number in the Yolo my personal check on myself is to take $ out and move it to the boomer retirement account. At start of the year wife and I sat down and figured out we had to live to 128 years old to spend all our cash if we basically sat on a beach and did nothing but park liquid assets in a near-to-zero risk account (eg TIPS or equivalent). So I gave myself the permission to let the Yolo account to grow to 200% of where I started the calendar year and then keep depleting that account when it hits the pre-determined 200%. So the Yolo is up more than 310% but the excess is drawn-down to boomer plays but I count draw-downs in NW calculations; after all part of the reason for draw-downs is to sequester assets to something safer so I can pay future taxes. The yolo to boomer rotation is when I started buying XOM, SU, more MSFT etc

    Boomer account is running approx 22% for the year annualized but that's because there's been more IV in options hence covered calls are returning greater. It's also tech-heavy so it reflects the general strength of tech. It also reflects my rotation from USD equivalents to BTC. I'm assuming both the Yolo and Boomer returns are not sustainable and will return to mean.

    At present I'll keep the YOLO account at where it is. Frankly GME scratched the gambling urge so thoroughly that I'm quite content to be patient and wait.
    128 years old?!? More skis and bikes will trim that number down

  21. #14046
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Cloud City
    Posts
    7,665
    Quote Originally Posted by CovertM View Post
    https://www.collaborativefund.com/bl...esting-sanity/

    Good read...I also will recommend Morgan's book "The Psychology of Money". I've gifted it to clients throughout the year and everyone has loved it. Great common sense lessons and reminders to steer you in the right direction.
    I really liked that short article, thanks.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

  22. #14047
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,972

    Is the stock market going to tank?

    Quote Originally Posted by CovertM View Post
    128 years old?!? More skis and bikes will trim that number down
    128 years was before the last few hundred % growth or so though. Heís going to have to start taking friends on heli trips soon...

  23. #14048
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    North Vancouver/Whistler
    Posts
    12,703
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    128 years was before the last 100% growth or so though. Heís going to have to start taking friends on hell trips soon...
    We (wife and I) just started more charitable gifting. Put a monthly gift plan in place. Bill and Melinda Gates have been very inspirational.

    Made the decision to avoid PTON as I'm emotionally biased against the long idea but see too much cult attributes.

    Looking at BYND for short

    NKLA reported today. A solid meh. Staying short

  24. #14049
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    5,972
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    We (wife and I) just started more charitable gifting. Put a monthly gift plan in place. Bill and Melinda Gates have been very inspirational.

    Made the decision to avoid PTON as I'm emotionally biased against the long idea but see too much cult attributes.

    Looking at BYND for short

    NKLA reported today. A solid meh. Staying short
    Good on ya.

    Iím still like 50% cash in the fun money account because I have no conviction on anything these days.

  25. #14050
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Sea2Sky2Ski
    Posts
    2,110
    The markets are insane. No one knows what happens next.
    Remember those psych experiment where they found out that changing the lights or the temperature in the warehouse boosted productivity? Just the change, change for the sake of change, produced the stimulus for people to work harder and more efficiently.
    This covid, that is the stimulus. I think we have yet to see how much the world will be boosted when all this is done.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono

Similar Threads

  1. Who voted for Bush/Cheney in '00 or '04?
    By Bud Green in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 281
    Last Post: 04-14-2006, 11:44 PM
  2. Risotto Recipes - What you got?
    By skiaholik in forum The Padded Room
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 03-29-2006, 05:03 PM
  3. Did American Ski Company get delisted from the stock market?
    By Free Range Lobster in forum General Ski / Snowboard Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-06-2005, 06:13 AM
  4. Bear Activists Killed and Eaten by Bears in Katmai
    By Lane Meyer in forum TGR Forum Archives
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 08:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •