Crampon fit issue?

Picked up an old pair of BD sabrerooth crampons and went to check fit last night on my tlt6s. Toe looks fine, but heel tabs look too wide to fit correctly (see last picture). I would assume smaller boots (mine are mondo 28) would have similar issues. Is this something to be concerned about?

Will be used for glacier/hard snow.

Seth

Can't you shorten them at the center bar? Move the toe bail if you have to.

I had a similar issue with some Maestrales, but I monkeyed around with those two things until it got right/tight.

Shortening them won't fix the problem of the boot heel sliding out of the back between the tabs.

Create shims as follows: Drill the heel tabs, tap 5M or 10-32, then screw a buttonhead screw with washers from the inside until you get the right fit. Grind off excess on outside. Optional: Secure with nyloc nut.

ETA: Alternatively, if you've got the tools and the chops, silver braze a blob on the inside of each tab, file to size.

I've done both of the above with steel crampons.

Crampon fit issue?

I can shorten it, but it appears that the heel may simply be too narrow - the tabs could slide all the way forward without contact - but I will verify.

Not a problem if the heel points are not lined up with the back of the heel?

Seth

Thanks Steve. That sounds like a great fix.

Alternatively, if you've got the tools and the chops, silver braze a blob on the inside of each tab, file to size.

I've done both of the above with steel crampons.

Ah, I see the overall narrowness now. Weird. I'd think about different 'pons.

Quote Originally Posted by sethschmautz View Post
    Not a problem if the heel points are not lined up with the back of the heel?
    Nope, no problem, although I prefer symmetry if I can get it.

No question that the heel tabs are too wide for that boot. No surprise. TLT5-6 boots heels are narrow. Looks like a good fit otherwise. TLT5-6 are a joy for 'ponning compared to most AT boots.

I think the button screws will solve the issue. I don't have the silver brazing skills, but we do have a fab shop with welding capabilities.

These crampons are pretty rusty. I was considering taking the coating off this summer and having them powder coated again. You think this is worthwhile?

Seth

My guess is that those 'pons are cro-mo, normalized but not hard heat treat. If so, it'd probably be OK to for someone with chops to TIG a blob on the inside then grind to fit, although I'd prefer the more cautious silver braze or tap/screw. You can confirm whether or not there's a hard heat treat via file scrape test.

I wouldn't bother powdercoating them. I'd wire brush them and spray with WD-40 or CLP between uses.

Cro-mo for sure. The tap and screw is certainly preferred as I can do it myself.

Noted on the brush and spray.

I replaced a set of Sabertooth's with Grivel Air Tech crampons last year for this reason. Seems like boot heels are getting narrower across the board, maybe as a way to shave some weight? Kind of annoying.

Narrower width sometimes can be a good thing. Shorter lever = more edging power. Those old cro-mo Sabretooths were designed for full width general mountaineering boots. Grivel Air Tech is a very nice glacier walk 'pon, although a different class, Al alloy, designed for narrower light mountaineering boots, e.g., Scarpa Charmoz, La Sportiva Trango S.

Seth, you'll find out whether those 'pons are hardened when you drill them. P.S. to my prior post, if 5M or 10-32 seems to big you might wanna try 4M or 8-32.

just in case you havent drilled yet ........... had the same issue with an older pair of Camp crampons and Koflach mountaineering boot: i epoxied a piece of aquarium tubing over the posts/spacers; worked well enough to climb roadside ice on turnagain arm for a season; easy to cut away if you find wider boots
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Any advice for similar issue with aluminum crampons?

I have Camp aluminum crampons with about the same space in the heel on my TLT6Ps (maybe a little less idk) and I have just been wearing them without issue, never felt any noticeable slop when walking but only used them on snow, ymmv.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot View Post
    just in case you havent drilled yet ........... had the same issue with an older pair of Camp crampons and Koflach mountaineering boot: i epoxied a piece of aquarium tubing over the posts/spacers; worked well enough to climb roadside ice on turnagain arm for a season; easy to cut away if you find wider boots
    Thanks for the suggestion. Haven't drilled yet. I was thinking that a small shim of don't sit would work well. We use a fair amount of Lord adhesive to glue metal at work and was considering a small steel shim when I get around to it. However the tubing would be easier and removable.

Seth

Slightly different issue I guess but I'll post here anyway.

Do these tabs really do anything?
    I mean I've got some other (older) crampons that don't have tabs.
    Can I just grind it off or am I gonna die?

Can't lengthen bar because then cam won't tighten enough.

Just read the instructions on my old sabertooth crampons (look like the same as the ones you have) and they say that it is not important for the tabs to mate perfectly with the heel. Heel lever tightness is what's important.

I'd be less concerned about the tabs than the gap. What happens if yo u trim off a bit of heel rubber and tighten the heel lever? I'm pretty sure the heel lever is too lose in the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    ....... trim off a bit of heel rubber .......
    can you adjust the center bar and lengthen the frame? otherwise, this ^^^^
    "we all do dumb shit when we're fucked up" mike tyson

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    Slightly different issue I guess but I'll post here anyway.

Do these tabs really do anything?
    I mean I've got some other (older) crampons that don't have tabs.
    Can I just grind it off or am I gonna die?

Can't lengthen bar because then cam won't tighten enough.
    If they won't adjust any longer you probably need the Sasquatch foot long bars... I have to buy them every time.

Crampon fit issue?

^^ thanks all.
    Yes the gap is the problem and it's caused by the tab not clearing the sole. Cam is actually pretty darn tight in that pic so I don't think that's the problem and tightening it more isn't going to do anything except possibly break it.
    There are extra holes to lengthen bar but then the cam won't tighten nearly enough.
    Very reluctant to grind off rubber because I used with a race style binding and there's actually very little rubber that sits on the binding heelpiece when skinning as it is.

So I think I've concluded this crampon and this boot just don't work together very well (at least with the tab there).
    Last edited by dcpnz; 05-26-2017 at 06:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dcpnz View Post
    ^^ thanks all.
    Yes the gap is the problem and it's caused by the tab not clearing the sole. Cam is actually pretty darn tight in that pic so I don't think that's the problem and tightening it more isn't going to do anything except possibly break it.
    There are extra holes to lengthen bar but then the cam won't tighten nearly enough.
    Very reluctant to grind off rubber because I used with a race style binding and there's actually very little rubber that sits on the binding heelpiece when skinning as it is.

So I think I've concluded this crampon and this boot just don't work together very well (at least with the tab there).
    You should be good cutting it off, lots of people do it with their race 290s