Page 454 of 1838 FirstFirst ... 449 450 451 452 453 454 455 456 457 458 459 ... LastLast
Results 11,326 to 11,350 of 45938
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronWright View Post
    Hey I used to walk with my girls to and from school until my youngest was in second grade. After that they were on their own.
    just giving you the bizness

i would never let my kids walk the roads alone at that age. maybe in the kind of neighborhood I grew up in, but not in the country where I live

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    it's the Schrödinger's cat of fire extinguishers.
    Wait--you want me to set the cat on fire and then use the fire extinguisher to put the fire out. What do you have against cats?

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    that's where I draw the line on flights, I won't pay a fee to bring a bag on to the plane.
    It actually costs less to check the bag and let them loose or damage your shit!

9 miles. It's a little far to make the kindergartener walk
    Yeah, but just think what kind of physical shape the kid would be in if you forced him/her to walk it!

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Yeah, but just think what kind of physical shape the kid would be in if you forced him/her to walk it!
    It'd be a real confidence builder too.

A couple of pages about parking in the disabled spot. A couple of pages about driving your kids to school. Must be all those new epicski migrants.

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    everyone was suppose to get raffle stuff for our kick off party on Saturday. I was the only person who got anything. Annoying. Its fucking hard to ask people for stuff and I did it and nobody else could.
    Having been involved in pre school and PTA fundraising efforts, that sounds about par for the course. Some where near 3% actually put in the effort, and about 80% complain about the work those that actually contribute do.

Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    That's way better than the east coast bosses I use to have that would always schedule 8am east coast time concalls knowing full well that meant 5am to me but good luck getting them to stay one minute past 5pm their time.
    That sounds ideal to me. Work remotely and finish my call in with the boss by 6am. Surf and ski all day.

Hey I used to walk with my girls to and from school until my youngest was in second grade. After that they were on their own.
    Back in my day.... I walked to kindergarten with my brothers and then home on my own at noon. Approx 3 blocks.

/get off my lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Wait--you want me to set the cat on fire and then use the fire extinguisher to put the fire out. What do you have against cats?
    Yeah... that's it......

Harden the fuck up. My cousins that lived in Seattle when I was young rode the city bus to school. I rode the bus from kindergarten to 10th grade with k-12 kids. I had to walk a mile to the bus stop, 2 in the winter. Danno might get a pass because I think he lives in the burbs with no public transit?
    and a handful of hot gravel

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Having been involved in pre school and PTA fundraising efforts, that sounds about par for the course. Some where near 3% actually put in the effort, and about 80% complain about the work those that actually contribute do.
    it ended up ok. There was some night before scrambling, and some companies came through.

It's a different world then when we were kids. I recall walking a half mile to school in the third grade by myself, in Manhattan. I was 8. These days, parents get arrested for that stuff. This story is but one example out of many. Aaron may think we need our kids to harden the fuck up, but it's not worth risking a visit from CPS just so we can raise our children to his exacting standards.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

isn't it funny how hard Aaron fought for parking illegally, but then takes a hard line stance on driving kids to school?

. I rode the bus from kindergarten to 10th grade with k-12 kids. I had to walk a mile to the bus stop, 2 in the winter.
    Are we supposed to take this as some sort of recommendation?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by mtngirl79 View Post
    isn't it funny how hard Aaron fought for parking illegally, but then takes a hard line stance on driving kids to school?
    Makes zero sense. I didn't fight for illegal parking at all. I actually said that I never park illegally. Do you actually comprehend what you read?

You're smart enough to realize that this is mostly tongue in cheek, right? Probably not.

It's a different world then when we were kids. I recall walking a half mile to school in the third grade by myself, in Manhattan. I was 8. These days, parents get arrested for that stuff. This story is but one example out of many. Aaron may think we need our kids to harden the fuck up, but it's not worth risking a visit from CPS just so we can raise our children to his exacting standards.
    The most amusing thing about all this is that by all rational evidence (crime stats and such), things are much *safer* now-a-days than when we were kids.

People are generally bad at risk-assessment.

That said, I drive my youngest to elementary school, but drop him off several blocks from the school so I don't have to deal with the utter shitshow at the school parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Are we supposed to take this as some sort of recommendation?
    It's an anecdote Buster. You've always struck me a pretty smart guy, but now I'm having my doubts.

skaredshtles has it right. Danno's linked story from Florida is from Florida, of course that happened there, the place is filled with cretins. Around here kids of all ages walk to school, take the school and city buses and I've never heard anyone cry endangerment. CPS, really? We're fucking doomed, Idiocracy in full effect.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    The most amusing thing about all this is that by all rational evidence (crime stats and such), things are much *safer* now-a-days than when we were kids.
    I don't think it's amusing at all. It's really fucking sad.

It's an anecdote Buster. You've always struck me a pretty smart guy, but now I'm having my doubts.
    Good.
    I'd rather be doubted than concerned about how parents get their kids to school under that umbrella of tongue in cheek.

Which cheek?

Good.
    I'd rather be doubted than concerned about how parents get their kids to school under that umbrella of tongue in cheek.

Which cheek?
    Pick one?

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I don't think it's amusing at all. It's really fucking sad.
    What is? That it's safer now... or that people think it's more dangerous?

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    What is? That it's safer now... or that people think it's more dangerous?
    The latter.

That people think things are worse now 'than ever' sure seems like function of the informational deluge we're under as communication mechanisms improve.
    I blame Gutenberg.

I blame Gutenberg.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Damnit.
    I still call it The Jake.