So Long Bend ....

For those of you who know me ... Tap, Slider, the lurking Tberg and Schralper, Buster et al: I am leaving Bend in search of what it was that drew me here in the first place, solitude and a small mountain town where I can still make a living. For those of you who don't know me and don't really give a shit ... well, why are you still reading this thread? That being said, I am moving on to Kellogg, Idaho and Silver Mountain where I will be tuning skis and summers wrenching on Free ride and DH bikes. Will I miss Bend? Sure. But what I will miss the most is pretty much gone now anyway as the town we all knew rapidly is transformed into Bendafornia. If winter ever returns and sets in you kooks will have to stop by and make some turns.
    The snow doesn't give a soft white damn whom it touches.
    ~ e.e. cummings

sad to hear this, as bend has been on my list of places i can't move to cause my wife can't get a job there and its a little out of my price range

that being said. Kellogg is a crazy creepy ghost town, i was only there in the summer, but the biking was awesome (3K per lap on the tram, rules.) the terrain and proximity to Coere d'alane (sp?) is very tempting as well.

watch out for these

drink here

and the view is outstanding

happy trails
    Last edited by Crinkle; 10-30-2007 at 11:33 AM.
    More fucked up than a cricket in a hubcap

Thumbs up

Welcome to the raddest state in the Union, B-dog. Trust me when I say the wilderness oportunities of every sport will blow your feeble mind to bits.

Fuckin' a, broseph.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Good luck Bob, Silver Mountain is a fun hill. And for big-city entertainment you have Spokane nearby. Uh, wait...

damn, Bob. Bend's loss is Idaho's gain.

thanks for all the good times, the afternoons hanging in the shop up at the mountain shooting the shit, setting up my skis last year, the laughs, the chuckles, the insights.

best of luck, buddy. you're a good man.

Tap
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

You just need to move to a large city for a year, then Bend won't seem so bad Seriously, I have been going to Bend for over 20 years every spring to ski, bike and hang out. And it has certainly become 'bigger' in that time, on the other hand my home city of Calgary has gone from 300,000 to over a million people in the same time so Bend still seems to have a lot of small town in it to me. But in any case if you are looking for a particular vibe, and you aren't getting it any more, time to move on...

Crinkle,
    Thanks for the tips .. already noticed the crazy sculptures when I was there a couple of weeks ago. Dirty Ernies noted.

Rev,
    Thanks for the welcome. I see this move as nothing but goodness .. and my mind is so far beyond feeble!

Schmear,
    Spokcompton not exactly on my top ten hit list ... but I do need to pass through there on my way. This move should fan my creative efforts and foster new insights and yarns.

Tap,
    Guess you will have to come do some hanging out in Kellogg ... I understand they allow snowboards there. bring that splitboard and we'll explore some.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Quote Originally Posted by eldereldo View Post
    You just need to move to a large city for a year, then Bend won't seem so bad Seriously, I have been going to Bend for over 20 years every spring to ski, bike and hang out. And it has certainly become 'bigger' in that time, on the other hand my home city of Calgary has gone from 300,000 to over a million people in the same time so Bend still seems to have a lot of small town in it to me. But in any case if you are looking for a particular vibe, and you aren't getting it any more, time to move on...
    Been there done that. Spent fall through spring in Seattle two years ago. Aside from skiing Xtal frequently it did little for me. Returning to Bend felt good but it still was not and is not what it was as recently as 8 years ago. God, Calgary! Passed through there three years ago on my way to Banff. The sprawl of subdivisions and removal of prime top soil was disheartening. There are still plenty of good folks in Bend, give 'em a shout out when you stop by.
    ~ e.e. cummings

Hey, if you're close to Spocompton, that means you're about 2.5 hours from the Interior. Easy drive all the way up the 395 to Rossland from Spokane

Not too shabby at all.

By the way, the bars in downtown Spokane aren't that bad, if you like Nascar, Coors Light and a dual cab turbo cummins pickup truck.

Trying hard to stay in the present moment
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmear View Post
    Good luck Bob, Silver Mountain is a fun hill. And for big-city entertainment you have Spokane nearby, where there's an airport so you can catch a plane to a big city.. .

Fixed it for you.
    Try to keep two ideas in your head at the same time without blowing your brains out your ass.

good luck to you bob. your a good human and those seem to be fewer and farther these days. happy trails and i hope you find what you are looking for.

best - flow

Don't know you, but everyone here seems to like you, so good luck bro!

Things down your way are crowded for sure. Its starting to happen up here too. Hope you find your place in the hills.

Nanuq

I'll be visitin' ya...I've wanted to try out Silver for a couple years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumper Bones View Post
    I'll be visitin' ya...I've wanted to try out Silver for a couple years now.
    Nice, Bozone isn't all that far from Kellogg. Did I miss something, are you a civilan now?
    ~ e.e. cummings

Thumbs up

happy trails dood...sounds like a positive move!!!