Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

BREAKING NEWS....(NFL RELATED)

The Patriots have a ridiculous offense. Tom Brady never throws an incompletion and Randy Moss can not be covered. Next weeks game vs a crazy good, defending champ Indy team is gonna be INSANE.

That is all.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

52-0

Oh. My. God.
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by MassLiberal View Post
    52-0

Oh. My. God.

Why would you run the score up like that??!! That is just pure asshattery. If you're that far ahead just lay off, its not like you're proving anything. That is low class right there.

That said next week's game will be fun. I think Indy can run up the score on that Pats D (the Dolphins put up 28) but I don't know if they'll be able to slow the Pats O enough to yank it out. That is the key to the game really.
    Last edited by belgian; 10-28-2007 at 05:14 PM.

Very interesting call going for it on 4th and short inside the Redskins' 15 while winning 38-0 late in the game.

And who said Belichick isn't a douchebag??

i wholeheartedly disagree. they are paid to score points. their incentives depend on their stats. there's no reason not to run up the score.

"lay off?" if one of the players ever suggested such a thing, they'd be benched.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    i wholeheartedly disagree. they are paid to score points. their incentives depend on their stats. there's no reason not to run up the score.

"lay off?" if one of the players ever suggested such a thing, they'd be benched.
    Perserving idiot post of the day.

Not playing 100% and going for it on 4th and short inside the 15 when up by 38 points is a completely different thing.

Quote Originally Posted by belgian View Post

Why would you run the score up like that??!! That is just pure asshattery. If you're that far ahead just lay off, its not like you're proving anything. That is low class right there.

That said next week's game will be fun. I think Indy can run up the score on that Pats D (the Dolphins put up 28) but I don't know if they'll be able to slow the Pats O enough to yank it out. That is the key to the game really.
    Backup QB and RB going to the ground game and still scoring.
    It's not High School, its the NFL.
    It's not too sporting to keep pouring it on, but pro football is not a sport. It's a business.

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    It's not too sporting to keep pouring it on, but pro football is not a sport. It's a business.
    precisely. i don't think college teams should run up scores. but in the nfl, they're there to make money, and they do so by scoring as much as possible and making themselves look as good as possible.

preserve posts all you want NickP, no coach in the nfl is going to "lay off" until after the final two-minute warning.

I agree that in the NFL you should play to win and have as much success as possible. I think at 38-0 it is dangerous to have Brady still playing. However i like letting them keep playing, the backups need practice too. If the Skins don't want to have the score run up on them, PLAY SOME DEFENSE.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Quote Originally Posted by trainnvain View Post
    Backup QB and RB going to the ground game and still scoring.
    It's not High School, its the NFL.

What does it matter if it isn't high school? Does sportsmanship disappear when you start getting paid for it? Sure, the Patriots are good enough to act like dicks because they can back it up with their play. But it is still a total dick move.

And for the record, while pro football is indeed a business, it is still a sport. One in which the best players in the sport play against each other, where they're expected to be good people who set good examples for those who idolize them. Running up a score to 52-7 is NOT good leadership, it is low class and unsportsmanlike. And just in case you were unaware, college football is a pretty fucking big business too, and they wouldn't be very pleased if one team continued to run up the score week in and week out.

Anyway, that is my opinion, you are free to disagree. But don't do it just because you're a Pats fan and you love to see them run up the score on a hapless team.

And as an aside very rarely are players given bonuses based upon statistics that are large enough to merit them doing what they did today. Unless those stats are what percentage of the plays you were on the field for, etc. Otherwise you'd see a whole lot less of the 1st round picks who manage to make $5mil/year riding their fat contracts out on the bench because they aren't capable of starting at the pro level.

Are you kidding? Its poor sportsmanship to lower your level of play to accommodate the losing team. When I was rowed in HS you were not allowed to slow down towards the end of the race if you had crushed the other boats, in fact you would have been disqualified due to poor sportsmanship. They recorded a teams strokes/min throughout the race.

a big part of the reason the pats are so good is because every person on the team does their job. "letting up" is not part of the game plan and could very easily do more harm than good to the team chemistry, which right now is about as good as it could be. bellicheck has to do what is best for his team. would scoring less help his team? fuck no. could it screw something up? yes.
    Craig Kelly is my co-pilot.

Buy Your Lift Tickets in Advance and Save

Actually, I'm a Seahawks fans.
    This is a business. If you have to run practice drills against another team in the regular season, so be it.
    I watched a good portion of this game. There was great disparity between Washington's level of play and NE's in this game.
    Fuck that sportsmanship crap when it's a business, beat the tar out an organization when you can.
    Trust me, the losing players aren't crying as hard as the losing fans are.

Does sportsmanship disappear when you start getting paid for it?
    Yes. Precisely.

Well, I suppose all I can say at this point is that I'm glad that none of you are involved in pro sports.

Oh and for the record, I'm a Raiders fan, so normally I have no problems with general douchebaggery on the football field, but this one just bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Very interesting call going for it on 4th and short inside the Redskins' 15 while winning 38-0 late in the game.

And who said Belichick isn't a douchebag??
    And if the hooded one were ever to leave the Patriots, I'd assume you wouldn't want him to be the coach of the donks.

Belichick can be a douche, but he's our douche, so I love him.
    Support a 6,000 mile bike tour for early literacy!

http://www.ride4ror.com

Why? Why are people so afraid of pouring it on?
    Some sort of karmic bullshit in the future?
    If you win by your own means and abilities, you loss by the same is your worst fate.
    People need to stop confusing coddling with sportsmanship.
    These guys make millions of dollars.

Fuck that. Remember week two when the NE Pats were called cheaters? Well this pay back. Now everyone should bow down. "Oh stop scoring points", please.

Teams can come back from big deficits in no time. And it would be irresponsible to a teams owners and investors not to score as many points as possible to stay on top.

Maybe the week two thread should be bumped.

Now, the Super Bowl is next week and I can't wait.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

Why would you run the score up like that??!!
    Because it's only a game?

Do you get upset at boxing matches when one guy is getting beat up and is finally knocked out?

Why weaken yourself and your team by playing like the B team only cuz you're playing a B team? That's gat.

Did the short bus just stop and let everyone off in this thread?

Comparing rowing, a timed sport, to football? Holy shit ... never thought I would see that one coming in million years.

I'm still waiting for someone to justify not kicking the fieldgoal when up 38-0. I've already posed the statement twice with no response. You guys want to bring up player incentives for achieving certain stats ... I'm sure Gostkowski isn't too pleased with that call.

And if Belichick was coaching someone else and doing the same thing, all your Chowderheads would be bitching about it.

fwiw: i'm not a patriots fan. in fact, you could say that i dislike them.

and i'm not defending not going for the field goal, especially not in the manner in which they went for it. risking brady like that was just dumb.

however the original point was about running up the score, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with that. if you think there is, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to pro football for the last 30 years.

Quote Originally Posted by smalls View Post
    however the original point was about running up the score, and there was absolutely nothing wrong with that. if you think there is, then you clearly haven't been paying attention to pro football for the last 30 years.
    Right, I've never seen coaches like Bill Parcels sit on the ball in the 4th quarter when up by a healthy amount and call for a run on 10 out of 10 plays.

Quote Originally Posted by BlurredElevens View Post
    Because it's only a game?

Do you get upset at boxing matches when one guy is getting beat up and is finally knocked out?

Why weaken yourself and your team by playing like the B team only cuz you're playing a B team? That's gat.
    This is exactly the reasoning I use when deciding whether or not to ski with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    Right, I've never seen coaches like Bill Parcels sit on the ball in the 4th quarter when up by a healthy amount and call for a run on 10 out of 10 plays.
    Do you see a brontosaurus in your front yard? No?
    That's because dinosaurs are extinct.

I wish football were more like a sport where after the game, you could go out and grab a beer with the other team and sit down and have a nice chitchat about whatever the hell it is that pro football players talk about. I remember a rugby match, not too long ago, where the all-blacks kicked the shit out of the other team. This other team had just been formed and wasn't very good. After the game, the captain of the All-blacks went into the other team's changing room and thanked them for the game, then asked if they wanted to play a game of soccer, just for fun. The other team ended up beating the all blacks. That is sportsmanship. Unfortunately, most pro football players are too high on steroids or too bitter to even acknowledge that the other team is there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Divebomber View Post
    OR sign it with a fake sig, then later they say "we have your sig!" NO you dont!