RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi

What's the cheapest way to send skis???

Okay, so I just sold a pair of skis (I'm in Boise, the buyer is in Missoula, MT.) What's the best way to send the skis? I told the person that I'd just charge $20 and eat the remainder of the cost. Maybe I was being too nice, but I'm just wondering what all of you's experience was?

USPS?
    Fedex?
    UPS?

Any help???

Quote Originally Posted by ruletherock View Post
    Okay, so I just sold a pair of skis (I'm in Boise, the buyer is in Missoula, MT.) What's the best way to send the skis? I told the person that I'd just charge $20 and eat the remainder of the cost. Maybe I was being too nice, but I'm just wondering what all of you's experience was?

USPS?
    Fedex?
    UPS?

Any help???

Wrap the skis(assuming no binders) tight in flattened cardboard boxes and send them USPS. Always cheaper than UPS although no tracking number, but Ive never had any probs. Im sure there are horror stories out there about USPS but this is what Ive done.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    Wrap the skis(assuming no binders) tight in flattened cardboard boxes and send them USPS. Always cheaper than UPS although no tracking number, but Ive never had any probs. Im sure there are horror stories out there about USPS but this is what Ive done.
    You can just straight up box them even with bindings. Shouldn't cost more than $30. I actually haven't heard a single horror story about USPS.

speaking from my own personal experience shipping lots of packages with USPS. I would not ship something remotly exepnsive without a tracking #... My vote is for UPS ground.

I just shipped a set of 185cm Blowers (no binders) today via UPS from SLC to the PNW. It ran me $26. I used the ghetto patchwork box Moment shipped my Ruby's in. Talk about eco-friendly!

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    Thanks for the help... The skis are 173 teledaddy's with BD 02 bindings... it sounds like UPS ground might be the way to go. If I'm completely wrong, someone better stop me. Tis the season for even the atheists to pray for snow! Here's to a long, cold, snowy winter!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ruletherock View Post
    Thanks for the help... The skis are 173 teledaddy's with BD 02 bindings... it sounds like UPS ground might be the way to go. If I'm completely wrong, someone better stop me. Tis the season for even the atheists to pray for snow! Here's to a long, cold, snowy winter!!!
    USPS is faster and cheaper. I have sent at least 100 things through USPS and haven't lost one! There are many people here who will tell you about how aweful UPS is.
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 10-26-2007 at 10:44 PM.

FWIW - 192cm skis and bindings were sent from Denver to Reno for $16.50 via FedEx.

DHL ftw.

$13 from CO to NYC, with tracking number and whatnot.

USPS is probably the way to go. If you are worried about the package disappearing you can insure it. $200 worth of insurance runs around $2.50ish.

If you want to use UPS - DO NOT send it through the "UPS Store" - they will rape you then kick you in the nuts. The UPS Stores charge their own huge premium beyond the regular UPS rate. Just go to the UPS web site. You can pay the shipping, print out the shipping label, and even schedule to have the package picked up at your house for free.

^^^correct me if I am wrong, but scheduled pick up is not free with ground shipping, only the most expensive types. They will pick it up for free if they are there for another delivery, so take it to work if you have UPS deliveries.

I use mostly UPS because it is super quick and easy, and they are at my office daily anyways. The website makes it simple to send things, andyes, stay away from UPS stores, they are bandits.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

FedEx has always been cheaper than UPS for me. Tracking number and insurance is worth the extra $ to me . I just shipped Gotamas and bindings from CA to WV for $28. plus it got there in 4 days.

USPS offers delivery confirmation and insurance. Priority mail is fast, and it is cheap for smaller ski boxes; parcel post gets the package there, and it is inexpensive. Going to the post office is probably the easiest solution.

USPS tends to be cheap. FedEx if you have a personal or business account is super cheap though...

I don't have objective data on who loses the least packages or has the fewest exceptions, but I will tell you this:

If you do have to file a claim with USPS, don't expect it to be easy, fast, or satisfying. YMMV, but this is a big understatement from my experiences.

Setting up your own UPS and Fedex accounts is easy. I use whatever is the best deal, and that varies based on what you are shipping, how fast, and where. USPS for skis can often be the cheapest. USPS flat rate Priority Mail and Express Mail boxes and envelopes can be a good deal for certain things as well.

There is never a need to pay for a pickup, really. Print your own labels and drop off with your local driver or at the local distribution facility.

Tip: Set up a UPS account and they will send you shipping supplies (like your laser printer labels) gratis.

FedEx Ground has always been the cheapest for me but probably the most inconvenient too. Can't leave at a FedEx box, have to take it to a FedEx staffed location which means a trip over the hill to Reno for me. If I'm going that way anyway it's the way to go but definitely not worth a special trip. USPS isn't that much more expensive, is super convenient & I've never had a problem. I don't even bother with UPS.
    "The mind, once expanded to the dimensions of larger ideas, never returns to its original size."

The US Postal Service SUCKS. Absolutely do not trust your skis with them. Ordered 140 bucks worth of mountain biking stuff last year shipped Postal Service and never got it, and never got reimbursed after about 5 trips to the post office and numerous phone calls that went no where.

I shipped skis California to Colorado last spring for like 30-35 bucks UPS. Just got a bunch of boxes and tape and basically wrapped em up in cardboard. Worked well.

UPS and Fedex are terrible, expensive and pretty much just plain suck.
    Its not that I suck at spelling, its that I just don't care

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    UPS and Fedex are terrible, expensive and pretty much just plain suck.
    Do you think this may have something to do with your location?

this has all your answers

Just shipped 180cm to MA from OR via USPS, no bindings. $27.50 with tracking number.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    ^^^correct me if I am wrong, but scheduled pick up is not free with ground shipping, only the most expensive types. They will pick it up for free if they are there for another delivery, so take it to work if you have UPS deliveries.

I use mostly UPS because it is super quick and easy, and they are at my office daily anyways. The website makes it simple to send things, andyes, stay away from UPS stores, they are bandits.
    Maybe it varies by location or maybe you have to schedule on line as opposed to calling but I have scheduled UPS ground pickups from my house for free several times.

USPS can be good, fedex prolly has better handeling but is a tad spendier.

I also use www.SERACHFUNCTIONJONG.com

I'm shocked it took this long.