backcountry makes my wee wee tingle...
    "What was once a mighty river. Now a ghost." Edward Abbey
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    It's not wyoming...it's Jackson.
    Different rules apply.
    My Adventures

"Feeling good is good enough."

the power of the mag

I would love to answer some questions about the mags. they are a powerful subculture in skiing and i think that is being realized now by the ski companies. I put together a group buy of Marker dukes for the mags and it definitely has turned some heads. If you are intersted to hear about the mags from a ski shop owners perspective let me know. Tim

After a long absence, nothing brings you back into the fold more than reading some of the responses in this thread. I still had far more posts at powmag than I do here! Good times, good people. No matter how much you write, it's been that simple for me.
    "Girl, let us freak."

Hey Rob,

You might not remember but you met about 30+ maggots and me at the Mammoth Mini year before last.

I would think you know about the people who post here.

So MAGGOTS! I read the first 3 pages and he last page .

Please tell me someone JONGED this guy
    Started the thread in SUMMITS?
    SEARCH FUNCTION? He’s a writer for Christ sake theirs enough info here to do a thesis.

Rob good on ya trying to give Skiing Magazine a Soul
    Good luck with that.

BTW I do ot concider myself (A MAGGOT) but they let me ski withem sometmes, and that makes me happy

Rob, it's pretty safe to say that you know Maggots on this board from personnel experience. Still, the best way is to get out and ski with Maggots. The excitement is infectious. There's always someone to push your skiing. There's someone usually willing to offer a couch should you roll into town. I'd be disappointed if you didn't go ski with a couple groups of Maggots before penning the story you are considering.

I get the feeling that the Maggots would be equivalent to some novelty or group of street thugs in the eyes of the SKIING readers.

Could you answer a few questions?
    1. How many maggots are there? Do you have a geographical concentration (like the West, etc.)

They are all over the place. The trip reports and pictures attest to that.

2. How'd the name maggots originate? Did it have anything to do with Powder Magazine?

I don't know. Ask Splat.

3. Is it true you were insulted/bothered by Powdermag.com and moved to TGR afterward? What did Powdermag.com do wrong?

I wasn't there for that shift.

4. What percentage or number of other maggots have you actually met face to face?

Rough guess. 60+.

5. Do you ever ski with someone you've only met online? What's that like?

Yes. Skiing the resort isn't a big deal. Having someone visit and want to ski in the backcountry is a different story. Asking questions about experience, comfort level, type of skiing preferred is important. Then again, they are all the same questions that you would ask someone who you ran into casually at apres ski.

6. How would you describe the ski ability of the average maggot?

Expert.

7. Do you get a sense that online forums like this one keep skiing alive 12 mos of the year? Is that good or bad?

It's good. As far as TGR is concerned, the Maggots cannot get enough of skiing. This board helps that. Plus, the reports from South America are fun. Also, the board is good for plenty of laughs when you are bored at work.

8. What's the coolest advice/link/etc. ever shared by maggots?

Trip reports are good. Some other fun stuff wouldn't be suitable for a family publication.

9. How have your fellow maggots improved skiing for you?

There's always someone better than you to push you.

10. How much more do you trust fellow maggots' opinions on gear than stuff you read in a magazine, etc?

If it's someone I know or met, I'll pay more attention. That goes true for Maggots or someone with the byline in the article.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Nails View Post
    After a long absence, nothing brings you back into the fold more than reading some of the responses in this thread. I still had far more posts at powmag than I do here! Good times, good people. No matter how much you write, it's been that simple for me.
    Yo, beeyatch......welcome back to the world.

We ski into streams:

And can drink lots:

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Pappagiorgio View Post
    We ski into streams:

g]
    you have got to post that in the "one sick line" thread
    . . .

^^^^*SICK*

That day of steam skiing at the Basin was my introduction to the Mags. Thanks PhishShow! I can't remember if that was before or after I shredded the gnar switch on Hogan bowl. My 1.75 of Finlandia and the dummy made out of PVC pipe that they hucked off Pali didn't stand a chance! I just wish I had met the CO mags much earlier before leaving the state. Oh well. I can't wait to find some new Mags to ski with when I hit Tahoe at the end of the year.
    "The beacon says you're a douche."

-My friend Nick during a little transceiver practice

Okay, not terribly sure what Rob's slant is going to be, but in the most recent issue of Skiing he did quote from TGR on a news story and the spin he gave it was kind of sarcastic/negative in relation to the type of folks who inhabit TGR. At least that was my interpretation (and we all know that there are many interpretations floating out there).

The article in question is on page 35, entitled "Peak To Pique."

Granted his reporting is spot on, but in terms of pulling quotes from the forums he only mentions the "crude," "snide," and "paranoid" "sniping" that took place in regards to the new Gondola at Whistler/Blackcomb. To me it painted a picture of whiny wannabes lamenting on a message board.

Not sure if there were any positive posts about the proposed gondola, but if there were they should have been included to make the report a little more balanced (or postive quotes should have been included from other forums, say Epic or if there are any Whistler/Blackcomb ones...I'm sure that there's some positive comments lurking somewhere on the Net in regards to the gondola) if only to show that not everything on the TGR forums is "crude," "snide," and "paranoid."

Reading further into the issue Rob has another story in which he argues in favor of leaving the safety bar up on the lift (page 52 "Dropping The Gloves: Safety Bar Up Vs. Safety Bar Down." It's pretty cut and dry and I think it's meant to be sarcastic, but it comes off a bit stiff and a little bit aggro (Story's scowling picture doesn't help with this vibe either). Now maybe he's taking the piss, maybe he's not. I can't tell.

The guy who really slays it in the issue, though, is Jason Daley. He straight takes the piss outta Story with his argument in favor of the safety bar down. He's a funny, fat, f@#k, that's for sure, as he had me laughing uncontrollably throughout his short diatribe about why he needs the safety bar down.

If anybody is going to write a story about Maggots in Skiing, it should be Jason Daley. Hands down.

That's my vote.

And for what it's worth, I don't have any personal bias against Rob. In fact I haven't read that much of his stuff. I'm just giving my unabashed interpretation of a couple of pieces of his I read after this thread got going.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Okay, not terribly sure what Rob's slant is going to be, but in the most recent issue of Skiing he did quote from TGR on a news story and the spin he gave it was kind of sarcastic/negative in relation to the type of folks who inhabit TGR. At least that was my interpretation (and we all know that there are many interpretations floating out there).
    i think you should read the thread. this issue was both posited and answered in here

my bad...

score -27 on reading comprehension for me!

i got lost in all the pix of babies and people making 1 sentence remarks about moustaches.

just went back and found Rob's response to my same interpretation on page 5, again, buried amongst the detrius.

I still say that Jason Daley needs to come out and ride with some Maggots. His take on the scene would be hilarious.
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Altagirl View Post
    Rob Story, no need to introduce yourself; those of us who are true to this place know who you are.

To better research, you should come ski/bike/hangout with a bunch of us in the different locations that hold the most members. Contact a few folks in WA, UT, WY,CA, CO, BC, etc and stop in; we will provide you a place to stay, feed you, get you drunk, hook you up with skis/passes/bikes, etc.., show you our mountains and trails, share our secret stashes with you, fix your skis/bikes, laugh with you, laugh at you, cry with you, help you get a job, help you find a house, sell you a house, build you a house, introduce you to your future ex-wife, cook you bacon, recommend a good dentist, show you where to "really" go.

All of this will be done in faith that you are one of us and would do the same for us on your terrain, at your home.

Once you visit, you will always have a skiing/riding buddy that you could contact at any time, be it to sharlp or just crash for a night as you drive to Mexico. We don't ask for anything in return but will drink all the beer you leave behind, smoke what you are holding, ask for naked pictures of your sister.

Good luck with the article, we'll be watching.
    Dear Rob your probably real busy writing your story. Once i'ts done ask yourself . Does it capture this vibe? If not it will have missed it's mark.
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    Dear Rob your probably real busy writing your story. Once i'ts done ask yourself . Does it capture this vibe? If not it will have missed it's mark.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Just ski down there and jump of a somethin' fer cryin' out loud!

-Pain McShlonkey

[QUOTE=MTT;1504424]Hey Rob,

You might not remember but you met about 30+ maggots and me at the Mammoth Mini year before last.

I would think you know about the people who post here./QUOTE]

That wasn't me. I haven't been to Mammoth in several years, and have never been to a Mini. Wonder who it was....

first, i'd like to compliment you on having composed a few excellent features during your time at powder. nothing specific comes to mind at the moment, but if i recognize your name that must mean that a positive impression was made.

1. How many maggots are there? there are lots of maggots. i've met them in alaska, boston and a few points inbetween.
    2. How'd the name maggots originate? the name 'minion' didn't stick
    3. Is it true you were insulted/bothered by Powdermag.com and moved to TGR afterward? the web monkey over at powmag was an idiot, over and over again
    4. What percentage or number of other maggots have you actually met face to face? i'm sure i've met only a tiny sampling
    5. Do you ever ski with someone you've only met online? What's that like? i've skied with maggots, yes. it's not that strange. skiing is fun.
    6. How would you describe the ski ability of the average maggot? above average
    7. Do you get a sense that online forums like this one keep skiing alive 12 mos of the year? Is that good or bad? getting to read and write about skiing or skiing-related stuff is a good thing.
    8. What's the coolest advice/link/etc. ever shared by maggots? now and then, there are coupon codes for free magazine subscriptions. that's pretty cool, even if it's just for 'freeskier'
    9. How have your fellow maggots improved skiing for you? i don't think i'd be living where i am right now if not for the inspiration provided by this place
    10. How much more do you trust fellow maggots' opinions on gear than stuff you read in a magazine, etc? way, way more. i don't really trust most of what i read in a magazine like ski or skiing that is full of ads trying to sell cars and luxury items that i'll never be able to afford
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

[QUOTE=RS8750;1538184]
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Hey Rob,

That wasn't me. I haven't been to Mammoth in several years, and have never been to a Mini. Wonder who it was....
    there have been issues with fakes in the past. one year, at the msp show in boston there was a short little fat kid who claimed to be 'tyrone shoelaces'. it was pretty hilarious. maybe the guy who i met weeks previous was actually the fake? oh, man, i need to reevaluate everything.
    “Money has never been my god — never.” - The Chief

[QUOTE=acostiga;1538438]
    Quote Originally Posted by RS8750 View Post

there have been issues with fakes in the past. one year, at the msp show in boston there was a short little fat kid who claimed to be 'tyrone shoelaces'. it was pretty hilarious. maybe the guy who i met weeks previous was actually the fake? oh, man, i need to reevaluate everything.
    If the short fat kid was wearing a Catholic school girl outfit, that's Tyrone.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

[QUOTE=RS8750;1538184]
    Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    Hey Rob,

C'mon, Rob, you're showing your JONG status with those fukked up quotes.

That was Derek (Kevin Dineen) and Hans (Hwood) at the Mammoth Mini.

Metcalf also put in an appearance at the Red summit when we did the charity event with Winter and crew.

If we've moved on to dropping names and all, I mean.
    Everything is coming up Brady.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    That might be impossible. Unless his editors allow a random turd picture midway through the article and at least 2 paragraphs debating about whether BlurredElevens is cool or an ass.

The mythical town of Ophir still wants to string you up.

Those silly, silly Ophir-ites.

every time i meet mags in person to ski or to drink it is crazy fun
    I've got the key to the highway... I'm gonna leave here runnin', walkin's far too slow

Angry fuck u

y u gotta be dicks to someone who loves skiing?

Thanks for a reasoned response. The hostility is pretty ugly...