Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Hey Rob. Go fuck yourself. The end.

Serious answers attempted.

1. How many maggots are there? Do you have a geographical concentration (like the West, etc.) You can look at the site stats for forum members as well as I can. What they don't tell you is how many are active in both the online and real worlds. So who the fuck knows, really? But as far as active people, probably scores to grosses.

4. What percentage or number of other maggots have you actually met face to face? Probably a few dozen at various times and places -- usually on the hill, but sometimes at stuff like movie premieres, industry shows, etc.

5. Do you ever ski with someone you've only met online? What's that like? Honestly, it rocks. When I first started skiing Alpine, I hooked up with several maggots (particularly StormDay) who showed me around some of the best stuff on the hill. That insider knowledge was amazing. Every time I run into maggots at a mountain, I have a blast skiing with them. In fact, at least one real-world friend who went skiing out of town and ran into a maggot by coincidence got the guided insider tour. Out of the 75 days I've skied over the past two seasons (yeah, I'm a weekend warrior), a total of a few hours were skied alone.

6. How would you describe the ski ability of the average maggot? I don't know the average maggot. But in my experience, it ranges from very good recreational skiers to the cream of the crop

7. Do you get a sense that online forums like this one keep skiing alive 12 mos of the year? Is that good or bad? How could it be bad?

9. How have your fellow maggots improved skiing for you? They show me places I wouldn't otherwise find, challenge me to test my limits, and help me find the courage to sack the fuck up and do it.

10. How much more do you trust fellow maggots' opinions on gear than stuff you read in a magazine, etc? At least you started from the correct premise. Suffice it to say that I currently own three pairs of skis that I could not have learned about from magazines, bought without demoing.
    not counting days 2016-17

SKIING MAG sucks, fuck off.

I am an idiot. i am on a rampage. now there are 12 of me.....

ha ha ha ha haha

Dear Rob Story @ Skiing Mag,

Go fuck yourself.

Love,

truth

ps say hello to Justin at Backcountry Mag for me.

NSFW NSFW DONT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU ARE FUCKING AROUND AT WORK NSFW NSFW

This thread is so soy it needs some redemption.

Ok now that we have redemption, can we stop being little attention whores for a second and pay attention to the important stuff in life

Titties, Powpow, gnar, hookers and blow.
    Hide your ancestors.

this is not a good idea. i shudder to think how many people will join after the article comes out. You should do the article on epicski.

on the other hand, im willing to bet that we could scare away at least 90% of users if we were just our normal selves.

I wonder how the skiing mag parents and children will love it when their beloved mag steers them to a website that is full of unmoderated shit, piss, jizz and blood.

FUCK OFF SKIING MAG AND GO SUCK THE JIZZ SOAKED SANTORUM FROM SOMEONE ELSE'S ASSHOLE
    . . .

sFirst, I for one have read and liked your stories for years.....I sometime buy a Skiing to read your stuff. So thanks for the stoke you have contributed.

Thinking this idea through I agree with the collective, probably is a bad idea to bring that many new people.....plus you should hang out awhile first, no JONG should be writing an article about this place. Make up an alias (different anonymous name) and just hang out.....you will probably like it. (and you will see it is R rated, so then Skiing might not want it).

About this place though. It is definately a wild phenomenom. Totally regularly, we sell shit and buy shit site unseen, without paypal, just mailing checks (trust is expected, and rarely do you hear of people getting burned). People open there homes to there "internet friends" regularly....I have done it and met very cool people. You can always have someone to ski with if you want it.

How good are Maggots at skiing? Look through this thread and you can judge....from recreational to un-fricking-believable.
    http://tetongravity.com/forums/showt...maggot+hucking

I still get Powder (have 17 years worth in garage).....but this place has really replaced my need for ski magazines. Why read about last year, when I can read about yesterday. The level of photos, hucks, lines, backcountry around here is very high.......and it is real! No, tanner did this, CR did that crap. Just real skiers.
    Donjoy to the World!

SKIING is fucking worthless, SKI might be the only one that's worse.

Go to epicski.com, they'll love your bullshit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bean View Post
    SKIING is fucking worthless, SKI might be the only one that's worse.

Go to epicski.com, they'll love your bullshit.
    Amen!

PS, the fact that there was a falling out with Powder 4 years ago does NOT mean we are looking to affiliate ourselves with a gaper rag like SKIING. Now split, you SKIING magazine JONG kook!
    Last edited by Summit; 10-24-2007 at 01:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Jizzing On Nerdy Grandparents View Post
    NSFW NSFW DONT SCROLL DOWN IF YOU ARE FUCKING AROUND AT WORK NSFW NSFW
    it doesn't work that way, you twit. it doesn't matter whether i scroll down or not, the images are still downloaded to my computer, cached and have probably triggered all possible red flags on their way here.

you've now polluted everybody's computer. are you happy, you insensitive clod?

next time only link to the images, don't embed them.

C'mon mags....smart ass remarks are one thing, but pure hate is another.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I wonder how many angry letters would be in the letters section complaining about how this website is so crude and vile. In which case we would all be laughing our asses off.

I doubt it -- Skiing has been cultivating a bit of a frat-boy vibe of late anyway, particularly in the "lifestyle" pieces. Oddly enough, Powder is the most kid-friendly ski mag out there, perhaps because they focus more on actual skiing.
    not counting days 2016-17

Quote Originally Posted by Huckwheat View Post
    .....plus you should hang out awhile first, no JONG should be writing an article about this place. Make up an alias (different anonymous name) and just hang out.....you will probably like it. (and you will see it is R rated, so then Skiing might not want it).

how do you know he hasn't been lurking or using an alias already, eh?

doooood, look at post 22, if you stare hard enuff at it it looks 3333 ddddd!

.......sorry

1. How many maggots are there? Do you have a geographical concentration (like the West, etc.)

Well......if you consider an average of 1.5 aliases per real maggot, there are prolly about ten thousand actual maggots. Also, I understand that it's common to have 5-10 times as many reading an active message board as posting, so it's conceivable that as many as 100,000 people read this forum.

2. How'd the name maggots originate? Did it have anything to do with Powder Magazine?

As mentioned by others, it was just a play on the old "powdermag" name.

3. Is it true you were insulted/bothered by Powdermag.com and moved to TGR afterward? What did Powdermag.com do wrong?

Absolutely true. The first, partial thread loss in September of '02 was somewhat forgivable, but the second, and complete, loss of our history in October was catastrophic. Many of us were utilizing the board for trip report archives, ski diaries, even short story ideas. The loss of some of that old gold still stings to this day.

4. What percentage or number of other maggots have you actually met face to face?

Starting with the very first "Summit," I attended every annual and mini-Summit until last year when it was held someplace I had just been. As a result, I've met and skied with hundreds of maggots.

5. Do you ever ski with someone you've only met online? What's that like?

Once again; hundreds. The very first were some local Utards I had only met online (Phunk, MD9, Rollgybe, and I think Powderwhore). We decided to meet for real at the Bird one day back in 2001. To my knowledge, no one on the board had ever done anything like that before that winter, so we met with a little trepidation. I remember telling my buddy that if they turned out to be freaks we were fast enough to outrun them. We may have been faster, but those guys could ski. I remember being very impressed.

The meeting that amazes me the most, however, when I think back on it, was when ColdSmoke and I decided to fly overseas to France in the '01-02 season, to ski the storied Chamonix. We'd read about how dangerous it was, how one needed a guide, how it was the longest ski run in the world, hidden crevasses everywhere, and so on. I decided to check in the forum for some advice. Some maggot poster named Tom offered to guide us. I should have been sketched if I'd only known just how enormous and potentially dangerous that place really is. For some bizarre reason I calmly made the decision (with a computer keyboard no less) to put our lives in the hands of a complete stranger. Tom, ColdSmoke, and I still get a kick out of that. What an incredible time we had. Soon after, Splat and others went over and had awesome adventures with Tom. The international contacts had been made and the rest is history...

6. How would you describe the ski ability of the average maggot?
    The average maggot I've met understates his/her ability--they are usually much better riders than they let on.

7. Do you get a sense that online forums like this one keep skiing alive 12 mos of the year? Is that good or bad?

Absolutely, and that's precisely how I found ski forums back in '97-98 in the first place. I was looking for others with the same disease to kinda help me make it through the miserable summer months.

8. What's the coolest advice/link/etc. ever shared by maggots?

There are too many cool links and way too much cool advice for me to decide something like that.

9. How have your fellow maggots improved skiing for you?

More than any improvement in skiing, maggots have made me feel like nothing's really wrong with me despite so many people telling me there is. You know, kinda like an embarrassing fetish; find enough people with your disturbing problem and you might convince yourself it's normal.

10. How much more do you trust fellow maggots' opinions on gear than stuff you read in a magazine, etc?

I've lost track of how many purchases I've made, sight unseen, based solely on the opinions of maggots. You can always find enough maggs who are about your same level, size, strength, mindset, etc. to help you make an informed decision on just about any topic.

I met my wife via TGR after she needed temp housing in Tahoe.

She's not the best skier on the planet (Jess grew up in Texas), but has a great kid I now proudly call my own.

There have been quite a few relationships via TGR.

If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

Last edited by Telski; 10-24-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Telski View Post
    I met my wife via TGR after she needed temp housing in Tahoe.

Does Punani know you married his mistress?
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

I'm still what I call a quasi-Pupa as opposed to a full-blown Maggot, but I also feel that I earned a few stripes at the Mammoth Mini this past year. That said I'm still kind of a JONG in regards to posting here, but the minions are pretty solid once you break the ice with them.

At any rate, here are my answers, FWIW:

1. defer to those who keep stats
    2. defer to those who were here at the genesis.
    3. defer to those who were involved in the shift from one to the other.
    4. No way to calculate a percentage, but I have ridden with a number of the Cali/Tahoe based maggs, a NYC based magg, and a few Denver based one.
    5. Yes. All of the maggs I've skied with to date I "met" via TGR. I actually started out on EpicSki (the horror!) and after attending a couple of their gatherings bit the bullet and attended the Mammoth Mini. Personally there's not much difference between the two camps other than age (the Maggs I rode with were all in the 20s and 30s and the Epic folks were more in the 40s and 50s). Basically despite the "rivalry" some continue to cultivate, we're all about riding and having a good time with like-minded folks.
    6. All the Maggs I have skied with have been better than me, but I've been able to keep up. You'll find folks of varying degrees, but most are confident hitting a Black or Double Black run at any resort without second guessing it. Of course then you break down into the ones who huck and those (like me) who don't. But I've never felt out of place riding with those who like big air and super gnarly lines. There's always an "easy" way down somewhere.
    7. Yes, definitely. And what could be bad about thinking about skiing when it's 85 and sunny outside?
    8. I've gotten too much good advice to keep track. Most of it was on gear or just reaffirming something I already knew.
    9. Anytime you ride with folks who are equal to or better than you it's a good thing. That said I would say the boost in confidence has been the biggest thing I've gained from riding with Maggots. Nothing like having a good solid support team help you navigate some terrain you might not have tackled solo.
    10. A lot. As has been said before, hearing about a ski from somebody you have ridden with or getting recommendations on lodging or gear from somebody you "know" carries a lot more weight than a review from a faceless writer in a magazine. Besides, once you get to know somebody after skiing with them and seeing what kind of style they have and what kind of skies they like, you get a better sense of where they're coming from.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Tele'ndaboat View Post
    Rob,
    Is this for your regular peice or just a news short? Also, you've got lot's o' replies, how about a thank you to these fine people...
    You're right. Thanks, huge thanks, to everybody who replied. I have no interest, FYI, in getting you all affiliated with Skiing's website. I'm a true freelancer and have zero stake in the magazine's profits or other ventures. So don't fear me. And thanks again for all the replies, even to the guy who invited me to eat a bag of dicks.
    -Rob Story

Quote Originally Posted by RS8750 View Post
    You're right. Thanks, huge thanks, to everybody who replied. I have no interest, FYI, in getting you all affiliated with Skiing's website. I'm a true freelancer and have zero stake in the magazine's profits or other ventures. So don't fear me. And thanks again for all the replies, even to the guy who invited me to eat a bag of dicks.
    -Rob Story
    I think the concensous is, Maggots don't want you writing this story.

Where's your favorite stash?
    If it weren't for serendipity, there'd be no dipity at all

Quote Originally Posted by RS8750 View Post

4. What percentage or number of other maggots have you actually met face to face?
    A couple hundred, easily.
    5. Do you ever ski with someone you've only met online? What's that like?
    Been doing it for years. To think of all the people I never met in person, then drove with them 5 hours to the snow, to ride. And all the maggots I've given floor or couch space to, who I'd never met in person, before. Or all the welcome wagons to those who move to LA, people I'd only known through TGR.
    I also drink with people I've only met online. Ski and then drink. And eat. Lots of eating.

8. What's the coolest advice/link/etc. ever shared by maggots?
    I got the best car mechanic advice here once. Seriously
    9. How have your fellow maggots improved skiing for you?
    They would improve my riding, if I wasn't always so hungover at the mini summits
    10. How much more do you trust fellow maggots' opinions on gear than stuff you read in a magazine, etc?
    I trust maggots over anyone else, when it comes to gear.
    just be careful what you do with this info, Rob. And thanks for dropping by, been reading you for years, thanks for some great pieces.