Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by RS8750 View Post
    Hello Maggots,

my name is Rob Story, and I'm a writer for SKIING Magazine. I was an editor/writer at POWDER for years, and still write for them sometimes, as well as Backcountry and Outside. Anyway, I want to describe the Maggot phenomenon in SKIING.

Could you answer a few questions?
    1. How many maggots are there? Do you have a geographical concentration (like the West, etc.)
    2. How'd the name maggots originate? Did it have anything to do with Powder Magazine?
    3. Is it true you were insulted/bothered by Powdermag.com and moved to TGR afterward? What did Powdermag.com do wrong?
    4. What percentage or number of other maggots have you actually met face to face?
    5. Do you ever ski with someone you've only met online? What's that like?
    6. How would you describe the ski ability of the average maggot?
    7. Do you get a sense that online forums like this one keep skiing alive 12 mos of the year? Is that good or bad?
    8. What's the coolest advice/link/etc. ever shared by maggots?
    9. How have your fellow maggots improved skiing for you?
    10. How much more do you trust fellow maggots' opinions on gear than stuff you read in a magazine, etc?

All answers comments and even complaints are welcome.

Cheers,
    Rob Story
    At the top of the screen is a search button use it, it is your friend you lazy JONG. Oh and you can put the pics of your Wife/Girlfriend/(hot) Sister in the Padded room, and don't forget the "NSFW" tag thanks.
    People should learn endurance; they should learn to endure the discomforts of heat and cold, hunger and thirst; they should learn to be patient when receiving abuse and scorn; for it is the practice of endurance that quenches the fire of worldly passions which is burning up their bodies.
    --Buddha

*))
    ((*
    *))
    ((*

www.skiclinics.com

bklyn is offline who guards the guardians?
    You should write about http://forums.epicski.com/ much larger membership, full of influential PSIA types.
    I'm just a simple girl trying to make my way in the universe...
    I come up hard, baby but now I'm cool I didn't make it, sugar playin' by the rules
    If you know your history, then you would know where you coming from, then you wouldn't have to ask me, who the heck do I think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by YetiMan View Post
    watched water never boils
    Yup.

I can't decide whether to send this guy to newschoolers or to post a response to the questions.

Newschoolers is so trendy...so with it.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

I like how he has to tell us who he is. Any true Maggot knows exactly who Rob Story is. Good luck with the article- make it a real small fluffy blurb that requires the attention span of a gnat to digest. Oh wait, that is what Skiing is these days.

1. Hundreds. I know it's hard to believe, but the maggots are most heavily concentrated in English speaking areas with mountains and snow.

2. Your following question cites powdermag.com but you don't understand the term powder maggots yet?

3. Yes, it is true. We needed moderation and powdermag.com refused to step in and do that.

4. Dozens.

5. It's like, "Hey, I'm Brent. Lone Star on the board. How's it going?" ... and then one of us says "Let's go ski XXXXXX." and the other says "OK" and then we go ski it and get back to the lift/skintrack and one says "That was redonkulous!" and the other says "FKNA!"

6. Well, I grew up in Texas, so I may be biased, but I pretty much think all of the maggots are badass skiers.

7. You're acting like you lurk on this board during the summer and know more than you are letting on.

8. "Quit dropping your poles, JONG!"

9. Ski a lot with a group of passionate skiers, most of whom are better than you, I guarantee you'll improve fast. Unless you're Max, in which case you will improve quickly enough if you can learn to be patient.

10. Magazines have a vested interest in the skis they review since they sell ads to ski companies. Thus the recent lack of any sort of ranking system in any magazine. Don't wanna piss off Company X (an ad sponsor) because you said Company Z (no ads) makes better skis. Many of the maggots spend a lot of time on different skis and know equipment real well. They don't have quite the bias of a magazine. And, there's dozens of opinions to read, instead of one magazine's one liners from three different testers.

I figured this was a troll, but who the hell cares. Still cool to see the answers anyway.

1. How many maggots are there? Do you have a geographical concentration (like the West, etc.)
    2. How'd the name maggots originate? Did it have anything to do with Powder Magazine?
    3. Is it true you were insulted/bothered by Powdermag.com and moved to TGR afterward? What did Powdermag.com do wrong?
    4. What percentage or number of other maggots have you actually met face to face?
    7. Do you get a sense that online forums like this one keep skiing alive 12 mos of the year? Is that good or bad?
    10. How much more do you trust fellow maggots' opinions on gear than stuff you read in a magazine, etc?
    Last edited by Lone Star; 10-23-2007 at 03:48 PM.

Hasn't been brought up yet, but maggots are great for cleaning necrotic tissue from a wound.

Rob's a nice guy who's written a lot of worthwhile articles for biking and skiing.

Hello Maggots,

my name is Rob Story, and I'm a writer for SKIING Magazine. I was an editor/writer at POWDER for years, and still write for them sometimes, as well as Backcountry and Outside. Anyway, I want to describe the Maggot phenomenon in SKIING.

All answers comments and even complaints are welcome.

Cheers,
    Rob Story
    1. The number of maggots is increasing exponentially. If I have to learn any more names, my brain will explode. And all the good skiers are from the west. Duh.
    2. Maggots refers to a fistful, says Pinner.
    3. I'm glad Powdermag lost all my posts. Really.
    4. Face to face? Is that like Eskimo kissing? Because I don't go there with just anybody.
    5. When I first read that, I thought you were asking if I ever had sex with anyone I met online.
    6. The ski ability of the average maggot is above average. Statistically speaking, of course.
    7. This question is giving me visions of Michael Jackson in Thriller.
    8. Be your own best friend.
    9. People may not like to admit it, but I believe there is a certain style of maggot skiing. When they ski in a horde it can be overwhelming. Beware. I didn't answer your question, did I?
    10. Maggots have their own ideas on gear. The magazines are good to see what the topsheets look like and they are something to read in the bathroom.
    Live each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each.
    Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by SheRa
    10. Maggots have their own ideas on gear. The magazines are good to see what the topsheets look like and they are something to read in the bathroom.
    QUIT READING MY TOILET PAPER

I can ski double blacks which makes me an expert skier.
    "Can't vouch for him, though he seems normal via email."

This is where your Bros came from, Rob.
    Did you get your housekeys I mailed back?

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    Isn't the answer to most serious questions here either "boobs" or "poop?"
    I am so disappointed. You of all people should know that the answer to most serious questions is "bacon"
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Contact OBernhardfranz.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I am so disappointed. You of all people should know that the answer to most serious questions is "bacon"
    Don't forget farts.

Quote Originally Posted by str8line View Post
    Contact OBernhardfranz.
    Why should he contact Rontele?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    this place is going to be utterly overrun with JONGs (worse than usual) the moment that SKIING prints their story
    it will be like Epic...
    Quote Originally Posted by cj001f View Post
    You fear Skiing will treat the subject with their usual quality and accuracy?
    If it is Rob Story, I think it cool that he asked this in Summits.
    I wonder if he's seen how much of a Shit-Show Ski/Snowboard can be sometimes.

...Remember, those who think Global Warming is Fake, also think that Adam & Eve were Real...

Quote Originally Posted by str8line View Post
    Contact OBernhardfranz.

Now there's an article worth researching

ski towns, near ski towns, want to be ski towns, really wish they knew a ski town, once lived in a ski town. we all live in boulder.

before my time.

this will be a lame story.

many. mtn biking, skiing, at the bar, in a car.

it's like there are people out there as crazy as you, and they have internet access.

there are some incredible skiers on this board. unheralded.

a lot of times we just hang out.

I know what's in their crock pot.

I'm not telling.

I don't trust what I read in ski mags, I just look at the pictures.

Hey Rob, check out the link in my signature and do a review pretty please.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

1. literally millions.
    2. something like that
    3. you know how sometimes you want to impress your friends with a really good, loud fart? So you wait and one builds up, you give'er and you wind up shitting your pants. I did that once. In a bar.
    4. MrZach was in my garage a couple weeks ago, playing with my tools.
    5. Zach had flatulence issues.
    6. I wouldn't kick them outta bed for eating cookies.
    7. Can Superman outrun The Flash?
    8. Pantsuits.
    9. My skis are finally wider than my boots.
    10. They are also a great source for dental advice.

Rob,
    Is this for your regular peice or just a news short? Also, you've got lot's o' replies, how about a thank you to these fine people...

Search Function, Jong

Quote Originally Posted by Below Zero View Post
    I can ski double blacks which makes me an expert skier.
    SKIER TYPE III, JONG!

Wrong forum JONG!!!!

As for answers, it all started with folks that were stoked on skiing, it sort of evloved into helping folks when you can, sharing stoke when you can, and skiing as much as possible. I have met many, skiied with many, and been drunk to often to recount, I have crashed on strangers couches, skiied secret stashes, and learned the meaning of steeze. I have gotten jobs, housing, and gear from the same group. And everyone I've met has been good peeps, and the majority of them have been ripping skiers. Some have cited examples and with that I recommend reading the above article Pat wrote back in 02, and also check out powmags tech talk forum "heating truck bed" it will give you an idea of the beginnings.
    Last edited by easyrdr; 10-23-2007 at 08:15 PM.

The number of maggots is indirectly proportional to the square root of ln (x/y) where x = number of threads about bacon, y = number of threads that are NSFW

Geographical concentration is 40% CO, 30% NE, 20% PNW, 15% CA, 1% AK, 22% elsewhere

People still read Powder?

TGR people bother me, but at least they post naked pictures of females modeling skis.

I have yet to meet any maggots face to face ... I mean ... have you seen pictures of us yet?

Yes. It's the same as skiing with someone that you met offline. Amazing!

We are not good skiers here ... we're only here for the naked pictures of females modeling skis. For sick skiers, please visit www.epicski.com

This forum keeps skiing alive for about 10 months of the year. The other two months are occupied by growing psychotic behavoir.

Don't f#@$ with maggots. Period.

We ski hard and fast. Technique comes 4th behind the ability to drink vast quantities of PBR and the ability to post naked pictures of females modeling skis.

I trust a maggot's opinion more than that of an Olympic gold medalist from Missoula, Montana that said you can ski deep powder in a 75-80mm waist ski.