Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9
    Originally posted by KQ
    An open bottle in your vehicle can land you in jail.
    Nah, that's just an infraction.

This has been a good thread. There have been a lot of good points for both sides. I think Bob and others are right in saying they understand the risks and know they need to pay when the piper calls. We play the same game in skiing. That's why I have a broken tooth right now. I know the risks, but play anyway. I can't be pissed at skiing for my broken tooth. It's ridiculous to be pissed at the law. You all know the law. Sure it may suck, but you know it. I may think that gravity smashing my ass every couple of weeks sucks, but I know it when I go out to the hill. To blame gravity after I've taken the risks and the constant has remained the same is stupid.

And to anybody saying alcohol and cigs are more dangerous and deadly than coke you've got to be out of your mind. Sure more people die from alcohol and cigs, but there are also a hell of a lot more people using. That's like saying (hypothetical numbers) 300,000 of 1,000,000 who used cigs or alcohol died of using said substances. While 5 of 10 using coke died of using said substance. Also the volume of use is probably way out of wack. Sure a hell of a lot more people died using alcohol, but only because more people were using alcohol. I'm sure the ratio of use to death isn't even close. I can't imagine people taking numerous "coke breaks" through out the day for 50 years and still be around. That's crazy talk.

And I'm too busy at work to debate this any further, but those are my thoughts. You're more than welcome to disagree.

Originally posted by 1080Rider
    Just so I know Bob got it, you need to get an atty. I've never heard of using piss tests for DUI, I think there are some inherent problems w/ using a piss test. A blood test is more accurate. I think you stated that you used 3 hrs before, in this state that would constitute "under the influence". There are a lot of other things that go into it. In a case like this the prosecution will need to prove not only use (in such a time that would put you under the influence) but also that you were affected by the use. I would guess that a long time pot user would show little affect after having taken a puff off a joint (because a pot user will build up a tolerance). If there is no bad driving or field sobriety tests a jury will be hard pressed to say that you were affected by m-j, even if they prove the use part. Get a criminal defense lawyer. You don't need the biggest firm, just someone who handles these types of cases. They'll be able to attack the evidence and let you know whether you should go to trial or take a plea offer.
    Thanks for stepping up dood! (note: this is not sarcastic, I mean that.)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Tell that to the people down the street. They really like having a house of tweekers next door. Yeah, we should have more meth houses, I'll call the governor right now and tell him to lay off enforcing the drug laws.
    Washington DID vote to step down prosecuting pot users. I think the issue here is not all drugs should be legal. Just alcohol and marijuana.

Come on now.......if this county would get serious about education on drugs and not resort to scare tactics then we wouldn't have kids huffing household cleaners (and killing themselves in the process).
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I was talking about meth. I know stereotypically pot users don't live in squallor and steal shit to feed the habit.

Originally posted by Buster Highmen
    Thanks for stepping up dood! (note: this is not sarcastic, I mean that.)
    PS- none of this should be considered legal advice. I'm just some dumbass sounding smart on the intraweb.

PS- none of this should be considered legal advice. I'm just some dumbass sounding smart on the intraweb.
    While we understand the first statement, we could start a whole new hagglefest with regard to the second.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Originally posted by meatdrink9
    And to anybody saying alcohol and cigs are more dangerous and deadly than coke you've got to be out of your mind.

OK I'm out of my mind. All I'm saying J is that as a threat to public morbidity/mortality, coke and other illegal drugs can't touch the damage done by cigs and alcohol. In 1999, Portland, OR had the highest per capita death rate from heroin ODs in the country--the total was approximately 120 deaths in a city of 500,000. In that same time frame, thousands in Portland died or become disabled from tobacco and alcohol. I know, more people use cigs and drink beer than use coke, but I'm talking about the overall threat to public health. And while I'd have to do the research on the numbers, I have a hunch that taking those hypothetical coke breaks would be less damaging to one's health than smoking cigs for 50 years, depending on how badly the coke was adulterated with other dangerous substances. I just have trouble with people who support the government's war on drugs and the continued persecution of users when the legal ones kill far more people.
    Last edited by natty dread; 04-13-2004 at 01:21 PM.

Originally posted by SteepnDeep
    Obviously both sides to this issue have been beaten to death
    no doubt. all y'all need to spark one up and chill. especially you dex.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller