My new old board

I picked this up on the weekend:

As you can see it's been creased before, which is why I was able to talk the seller down to $150. There are a few holes that leak water in that need repairing, but apart from the crease and ding under the tailpad (both professionally repaired), it's in pretty good condition for a board of it's age (probably at least 5 years old, maybe 10). It's 6'5" x 21 7/8" x 2 1/4", designed for a 100kg guy for small waves. I'm not quite that big but I'll see how it goes at my weight.

Soon I'll have a few distant relatives of this board too.

I thought I said a big gun but loose Chandler. The nose is too thick!

It's definitely the most unconventional shape I've had. I'll be interested to ride it and see how it performs. From what I know about the shaper, he's got unusual views about design but he's kind of revolutionised board design. People who ride his shapes generally love them.

Punani...

Alex, give me a board that works...my board. - Jerk. lol.

A hunge fitty?

Nice board. I priced one earlier this year and after shipping and exchange it would run about $900...ouch. Let us know how it goes. That would be perfect shape for my fat ass.

Yeah, they're not cheap new. This one must be about 2000 vintage. I've ridden it now a few times. Good board.

Does the board ride differently than Pu/Pe? From what I've been told and read the flex on those boards creates a new feel. I've been thinking about shaping a board and reading up on swaylocks.. where Berger is regarded as a god like figure with compsands.

I've only had it out in gutless waves so far so I haven't been able to load it up to feel the flex. If you've been reading sways archives, you might come across references to his "magic carpet". I think this board is designed with a similar philosophy. It's got a flat rocker, no concaves, and obviously wide. And yet it's very loose, due to a couple of other things he's explained to me that I understand but can't really explain well myself. Time will tell if it tracks well in larger waves. It serves its purpose in small waves, catching ripples easily and carrying my 200lb well. Surfs small waves without having to get a fish or mal. A big guy's small wave performance board.

I'd like to get into building compsands too. If you read enough it's not that hard. Start up costs are a bit high if you want a sander, router and bulk materials. But after a few boards the costs are low and the job isn't all that hard (to shape a basic board that is).

Yeah, my wish list for Christmas for the wife and fam includes a pump and other objects that keeps her head shaking. Should be a fun hobby. Maybe I could get the dimensions (rocker and outline every 12 inches or so from you some time). That board looks like a perfect starting point, and why not copy the shape directly from the man himself.....

Sure, I can do that. I'll get back to you.

This would make a nice Christmas present on your wish list if you really want to get into it.

People who ride his shapes generally love them.

Anyone want the new board range? PM me your email address, I've got a pdf of them.

help!!!!1

sick board, im lookin to get a ci m13
    Last edited by BKArmada; 12-09-2007 at 04:41 PM.

I am not a good surfer. Actually i am living away from the sea shore, and rarely get a chance to ride on the waves but i like to watch the persons ruling o the high waves. And about your Old New Surf board. It looks fine to me speacially at that price.
    Please visit my blog on
    Ipod downloads

Nice board, man. I don't know if it's that expensive or cheap, but it doesn't really matter as long as you've found what you were looking for and you're happy with that. i bought a similar one too. Recently purchased this. Isn't this increidible? Pictures and cool information about surfing/skating and all the mad extreme amazing sports out there.

Jason
    Last edited by JasonGawker; 04-13-2008 at 05:46 AM.