Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moment Ruby + Marker Duke + Alta pow = Happy truth

Conditions: October bottomless silky Alta lake effect pow and everything from crusty mank to cat track death cookies.

Rider: 6'1" 215# and I suck

Gear: Moment Ruby 188, Marker Duke (L) and Solly course boots (130 flex) with conformable liners.

Skinned from the parking lot to the top of Baldy Shoulder. I suck at skinning. Today was my first skinning event. I suck. I am slow, old and can't breath above 8000 feet. I suck. Tough to really review the rig as I have nothing to compare it to but I will anyway.

The Dukes work. Simple as that. The design is bomber and using them is pretty straightforward. Using the climbing wire is tricky at first, but for me the best way to move it from low to high was to kneel into a tele turn type position and reach back. Once I decided to use this method making the adjustment was a snap and very quick. Is it as easy as using a pole on a Freeride? No, but it's just as fast cuz I was watching FR users as they passed me and while they fumbled to make the flick I knelt down and did the same. No time lost. Popping the skis off to swap from tour -> ski is no biggie cuz you're taking the skins off anyway. The lever to swap works as designed. Flip it and you're locked and loaded.

These boots suck for skinning. Did I mention they suck? Too stiff, too burly, and my shell is simply too small for my foot for this shit. Size 12 feet in a 324mm boot. Super custom fit but no room for error.

Skiing with the dukes is as good or better than an alpine binder. Rock solid, no wiggle, flex, vagueness or confusion etc. Just totally dialed in 100% of the time. You'd never know you weren't rocking 916's.

The Ruby...oh how I love thee. My wife is gonna be jealous cuz I'm having an affair with these skis. Two turns into the bottomless on the shoulder and I was dialed, no hesitation, just friggin ripping the fluff. They float effortlessly and rail long turns in the deep without a whimper. When you want em to pop they do. Amazing life in this stick. So stoked. Lower down they handle funky crust and variable snow with ease. No need to change your centered stance at all. The tips simply don't dive. You want em to snap a tight turn and they do, you stand on em and they rail...I'm in love. Lower down I was maching back to the base over massive death cookies from the snow cat...gnarly nasty shit the size of friggin grapefruit and rock solid. I was making long GS turns without a care in the world.

Basom, Arty...mooochass grassyass for the beta. You were spot on.
    Last edited by truth; 10-21-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Sweet review, I am putting together the exact same setup for this winter, and now I am really stoked to get out on them.

Did you mount them right on the line?

Thanks for the review.

I am really intrigued by this ski and was wondering how it handles on icier terrain. Was afraid it might be too soft (based on the descrition on the Moment site). Hope to demo a pair this season.

BTW, where would you place the Ruby on the flex index (in relation to some of the other planks out there?) I currently ride No Ka Ois, King Salmons, Titan 9's and Spats, to give you an idea of what I'm down for.

On a similarly related note, got my Dukes coming in the post and am drooling to mount 'em on a pair of 188 Lib Tech NAS Mt. Bakers and get out on 'em when we get some real coverage in T'Hoe.
    Last edited by dookey67; 10-21-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Southeast Maggot View Post
    Sweet review, I am putting together the exact same setup for this winter, and now I am really stoked to get out on them.

Did you mount them right on the line?
    You're stoked then. I can't even describe how pleased I am with this ski. We mounted the Dukes on the "preferred" line. I wouldn't change a thing.

FYI: the 110mm brake on the Duke fits the Ruby perfect. No bending needed.
    Last edited by truth; 10-21-2007 at 03:08 PM.

Good to hear it worked out for you. How the fuck did you get a skin on that tip?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by addict View Post
    Good to hear it worked out for you. How the fuck did you get a skin on that tip?!?!

Like this...

Quote Originally Posted by truth View Post
    Using the climbing wire is tricky at first, but for me the best way to move it from low to high was to kneel into a tele turn type position and reach back. Once I decided to use this method making the adjustment was a snap and very quick.
    You just have to pick your location right. This method sucks when you're on a steep slope. OTOH doing it before you set out across the slope means you've got the bail set at e.g. high while skinning a flat section approaching a steep slope. You learn to live with it.

GOD DAMN YOU, YOU FUCKING JUST HAD TO GO TORMENT ME LIKE THIS!!!

YOU OWE ME BITCH!!!

Send me your skis so I can collect my damn finder's fee.

Super stoked you liked them. I can't wait to get my hands on a pair this year too.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

You need to a bubble tent at home to begin your acclimation sooner.

I was thinking of doing a Ruby for touring as well...seems to be perfect flex, length, etc

Conditions: October bottomless silky Alta lake effect pow and everything from crusty mank to cat track death cookies.

Rider: 6'1" 215# and I suck

Gear: Moment Ruby 188, Marker Duke (L) and Solly course boots (130 flex) with conformable liners.

Skinned from the parking lot to the top of Baldy Shoulder. I suck at skinning. Today was my first skinning event. I suck. I am slow, old and can't breath above 8000 feet. I suck. Tough to really review the rig as I have nothing to compare it to but I will anyway.

The Dukes work. Simple as that. The design is bomber and using them is pretty straightforward. Using the climbing wire is tricky at first, but for me the best way to move it from low to high was to kneel into a tele turn type position and reach back. Once I decided to use this method making the adjustment was a snap and very quick. Is it as easy as using a pole on a Freeride? No, but it's just as fast cuz I was watching FR users as they passed me and while they fumbled to make the flick I knelt down and did the same. No time lost. Popping the skis off to swap from tour -> ski is no biggie cuz you're taking the skins off anyway. The lever to swap works as designed. Flip it and you're locked and loaded.

These boots suck for skinning. Did I mention they suck? Too stiff, too burly, and my shell is simply too small for my foot for this shit. Size 12 feet in a 324mm boot. Super custom fit but no room for error.

Skiing with the dukes is as good or better than an alpine binder. Rock solid, no wiggle, flex, vagueness or confusion etc. Just totally dialed in 100% of the time. You'd never know you weren't rocking 916's.

The Ruby...oh how I love thee. My wife is gonna be jealous cuz I'm having an affair with these skis. Two turns into the bottomless on the shoulder and I was dialed, no hesitation, just friggin ripping the fluff. They float effortlessly and rail long turns in the deep without a whimper. When you want em to pop they do. Amazing life in this stick. So stoked. Lower down they handle funky crust and variable snow with ease. No need to change your centered stance at all. The tips simply don't dive. You want em to snap a tight turn and they do, you stand on em and they rail...I'm in love. Lower down I was maching back to the base over massive death cookies from the snow cat...gnarly nasty shit the size of friggin grapefruit and rock solid. I was making long GS turns without a care in the world.

Dude it was nice meeting you up there...I was the one that asked you about the dukes just up the top of Wildcat chair..you remember??? Those moments look SICK.....Dukes....eh im undecided....ill let the first run go and we'll see....

What a day huh???

Enjoy your season..

M

that's it, trigger = pulled.

I've had these in the checkout basket but couldn't justify it. October pow pics are hard to resist

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    thx truth for the write-up. The Ruby is on my radar should I get the stones and cash to procure them at some point. How long do they feel/ride in the 188? I've read they have a pretty substantial twin? I'm somewhat short, light and not the best skier so a true 188 would usually be considered out of my league. thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
    thx truth for the write-up. The Ruby is on my radar should I get the stones and cash to procure them at some point. How long do they feel/ride in the 188? I've read they have a pretty substantial twin? I'm somewhat short, light and not the best skier so a true 188 would usually be considered out of my league. thanks.
    skinned on mine for the first time yesterday..... great trail braking ski ... very playful, skis a lot shorter than 188, I want another pair, the tails are big but they didn't bother me. The Freeride Ruby setup is really light
    Last edited by bisnibble; 10-22-2007 at 05:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bisnibble View Post
    skinned on mine for the first time yesterday..... great trail braking ski ... very playful, skis a lot shorter than 188, I want another pair, the tails are big but they didn't bother me. The Freeride Ruby setup is really light
    What boot were you in? Alpine / AT? Wondering if an AT boot cna drive the Ruby. I'm toying with the idea of the Endorphin...

You can drive those skis in a pair of moon boots in those conditions. Get you some good AT boots for sure if you're going to hike much. I haven't skied my new Spirit 4's yet, but with the black tongues I think they'll be good on any ski for riding pow. Check them out if you have a Scarpa foot.

What boot were you in? Alpine / AT? Wondering if an AT boot cna drive the Ruby. I'm toying with the idea of the Endorphin...
    I ski 130 lange's. I can't find any AT boots that fit my feet right so i can't comment. But skinning in them doesn't bother me at all, only when I am hiking low pitches or along a rig line, my feet kill/it makes it hard to get a good footing. But at low angle you are skinning so why even bother getting AT boots? Unless you are doing some crazy mountaineering.

Thats just my opinion

has anybody ridden the Ruby's NOT as an AT set-up?

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    I'd hardly call my set up AT. The Dukes are are more alpine binding than 99% of the alpine bindings made.

Quote Originally Posted by dookey67 View Post
    Yes, and I am in wuv.

But I too will be putting Dukes on them. I desperately need an AT ski and it's really hard to argue against the Rubies for what I want. Plus the Dukes appear to be bomber enough to ride everyday inbounds too if I so choose.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

R/O

Arty...I think we rode Thunder Bowl together last season on one of 666's jaunts (your Squirrel buddy was along, too).

I recall you were rocking Goats.

Have you ditched those in favor of the Moments?

I guess I'll just have to wait until we get some coverage and then hassle the Moment cats to nail down a demo day.

At the moment i've got my Dukes set aside for the Mt. Baker's from Lib Tech (188cm length as well but sound like they are a bit stiffer overall flex than the Rubys).

so to reiterate, Arty, you've actually ridden the Ruby's and you've bought a pair, just waiting for them to show up?

final query...in comparison, what else is in your quiver and what are the Ruby's replacing/which gap are they filling?

danke all around!

dukes and comi-kazis for me, i cant wait till they get here.

Quote Originally Posted by mc_roon View Post
    dukes and comi-kazis for me, i cant wait till they get here.

Shipping this week!

Quote Originally Posted by Melee View Post
    Shipping this week!
    you just made me very very very happy in the pants

Niceness!