Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

How come nobody talks about Faction?

Just noticed that Faction makes a 191 "fatty"

http://www.factionskis.com/0708/en/skis_thirteen.php

looks to be the Big Brother of the 3Zero, which has been getting some buzz press lately.

Because they're a small european based company with limited funds and limited US distribution and advertising/marketing. not many people know about them, but there starting to get more and more buzz, so maybe we might see some more threads about them. Unlike bluehouse, dps, pm gear, etc. who are US based, faction is on the other side of the pond, and therefore relatively unknown. as far as i know, getboards.com is the only US distributor, and they don't even have faction stuff on their website yet. they are getting bigger, so once people start riding them over here and review or two gets posted, there should be more discussion about them.

i really like the 3.zero and think its a kickass ski, but for 799 i don't know how many people will take interest especially when you can get a prophet 100, gotama, or scratch steeze or nordica blower for under 700

makes sense.

guess it will be like how Movement was 2 seasons ago. Excellent web presence but very limited dist. here in the states and nobody buzzing about them.

them BOOM! a bit of dist and you start seeing them on the hills.

i honestly didn't think much of it until i saw the 190 listed on the Faction site and given the Maggot collective's penchant for anything in the 190cm range i found it interesting that nobody had chimed in about them as of yet.

I've done a mount on a pair a few years ago (2004?). Really, really well built skis, better than any of the other custom/small build skis I've come across. I'd say a lot better than Movement and also better than Rossi/dynastar/solly etc in quality control. I was impressed. The guy that skied them used them as his everyday patrol ski at KHMR and they stood up well to abuse. Those were pretty soft, if I remember they were still quite torsionally stiff, and he liked them.

I inquired about them a couple months ago and when I didnt find anything here I went straight to the source.

They are damn well built. Hand finished, with very strong construction.

Theres only one retial distributor in Canada, maybe even NA, thats in Nelson.

Tony, co-owner, said theyre making a good push into the NA market this year and the coming few.

I had a chance to see their lineup or most of it when the rep came to Van. As I said theyre damn well built. Hand flexed like an ANT(the Thirteen). 3.Zero was a bit softer, and then, well the other two are park skis so theyre meant to be soft.

Look like fun. I would have snagged a pair from the rep for only $750, which is great for a hand finished ski and I wouldnt have had to pay taxes, but I didnt like the 28m turn radius and besides I got 194 LPs so Im set.

One of my kids' buddies skis for Faction. From what I've heard, if he did not like the skis a ton, he wouldn't. Pretty much that simple.

Assuming the Vital boys actually release their film sometime soon, Factions will likely figure prominently...

http://vitalsoldier.com/images/EDIS_Trailer.mov

http://vitalsoldier.com/images/Every...ay_Trailer.mov

http://www.brightcove.tv/title.jsp?t...nnel=686995646

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing it. (translation: ship the damn movie - I wanna watch it)

Quote Originally Posted by El Duderino View Post
    Theres only one retial distributor in Canada, maybe even NA, thats in Nelson.
    El Dude, who's got them in Nels? I was away last winter and not up with who's carrying what. I can only assume it'd be ROAM? I'll do a demo some time this Jan if they are.

^^^^^
    Guides Hut in Fernie!

El Dude - Just like an ANT or slightly softer, prob less camber? I'm hoping the Hut has some so I can check them out in a week, otherwise it's ANTs.

so how do you think the faction 3.zero compares to the prophet 100 or the sir francis bacon. i'm trying to decide between these three as my out west powder ski. i feel like it kinda falls in between the two line skis. its stiffer and narrower than the bacon, but fatter and softer than the prophet. any recommendations on which to get.

I for one don't talk about Faction simply because I've never heard of them. I thought you might like something from another perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I say god damn! I would hit that shit double, switch, and then give a moustache ride to the road.

I just skied a pair of the 190 Factions today. Liked them so much I bought them on the spot.

review?

I'll do it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by powslut View Post
    I just skied a pair of the 190 Factions today. Liked them so much I bought them on the spot.
    And there ya have it...

PS:

before you give us the full monty review, what else is in your current quiver (models, lengths, widths) and what have you liked in the past, just to get a better idea of where the Faction fits in and is coming from in terms of flex and performance.

Thanks!
    "Man, we killin' elephants in the back yard..."

https://www.blizzard-tecnica.com/us/en

I have never reviewed a pair of skis but I'll give this a shot. I have only had one day on them so far but I will post try to post a full review of the skis later in the season.

Five Year Ski History -

Current Skis:

Dynastar Legend Pro 190
    Kneissl Tanker 190 (Touring)
    Volkl CMH Exploders

Past Skis:

A Multitude of CMH Explosives
    Atomic Big Daddys
    Atomic Sugar Daddys
    Atomic Stomp
    Nordica FF's

Summary:

When I went to the hill today I had no intention of buying skis, in fact I had never even heard of Faction. When I left I had a new pair on my roof. I think that speaks volumes to the positive attributes of these skis.

Ramblings:

A bit of context here, I grew up as a ski racer and have been skiing 80-160 days per season for the last nine years. To this day the best ski I have ever owned is the Dynastar Legend Pro 190 (or is it 191?). Nonetheless the Faction 13 is not this ski. In fact it is nothing like this ski. So far I see the Legend Pro as a Ferrari and the Faction 13 more as a Rolls Royce. The faction is a big, fat cruisy ski that can perform when pushed to the edge. Today I skied them in everything ranging from shin deep powder to groomers, to chop to ice. In every condition except the ice they buttered through the turn with minimal effort allowing me to progress the laziness in my skiing style. At high speed they are as stable as anything I have ever skied, but they are still supple and light enough to be able to throw them around with minimal effort. Turn initiation is virtually effortless. In the crud I could not find a maximum speed at which they started sketching out or chattering. I will do a higher speed test but highly doubt I will find an off piste condition or speed where these skis become unstable. On ice, what can I say other than they're 112mm underfoot. They held there own but definitely are not race carvers.
    Last edited by powslut; 11-15-2007 at 10:55 PM.

Nice review, thanks. Sounds like a fun ski.

I skied the 13s telemark all last winter and they rock. Like Powslut, I skied them and bought them the same day.

About me: 6'1" 170lbs. Pretty strong skier. All time favorite ski Wizard Exploders. I also have in my quiver Prophet 130 / V-Pros / Pow Plus. Liked Squads (191), Sumo 190s.

The 13s are a really nice ski to sit between the contrast of straight line slaying Exloders and super turny Prophets (which I love equally).

I first skied 3 Zeros four (5?) years ago. The dimensions were good and in very soft snow they were pretty good. Just too soft though, as soon as snow turned hard they turned dangerous.

A few years later and the 13s (and 3 Zeros) have reached maturity.

I tested the 13s alpine in mixed conditions. They can be skied pretty fast, I found at mach loony though the tips were a little on the soft side for my liking (give me Explosives).

I mounted them plus 1 from balance centre (big twin) with BD02. These are my go to skis now, plenty of float and plenty of pop, nice and stable.

And they're pink.

The 3 Zeros are the same dimensions just in a 183. Speaking to people who have skied them the tips don't suffer in the way the 13s do.

They rip.

If you have any questions feel free to ask. The dude at Faction, Tony, is also a really nice guy and will try to help you out.
    i wish i never chose that user_name

Whitedot Freeride

cool, thanks for the break down guys.

one last question...how severe is the twin?

i'm moving back into longer planks, but definitely have nailed the 180-185cm range as my sweet length.

longest skis in the current quiver are 188 Lib Tech NAS Mt. Bakers, but the twins are pretty severe making the actual running length more of 150, so they don't really seem that long (haven't ridden 'em yet, so we shall see).

i was eyeing the 185, but you all make the 190 seem reasonable.

basically i'm looking for a good 110-115mm ski to complete the quiver. been eyeing D-Sender (Fatypus), Ruby (Moment), Overlord (Prior), Fat Bro, and even the Lib Tech Powder, the first three I'll demo once we get snow and the companies line up their demo schedule.

the only scutch on the Faction is that i would never be able to demo it and if i'mma plunk $700+ down on some planks, i'd love to ride 'em first.

out of curiosity PS and Huck, where did you guys get to demo them?

^^^^^
    Not that severe a twin. Average, like a Gotama I'd say. The numbers are on their website, they say a 158 running length so also like a 190 Got.

Powslut - Did you grab a demo from Ross? You tried them at Sunshine? I hear they will be at Marmot this weekend. I was interested too, but I don't know, construction turned me off. You bought them right from Ross-he had some with him? How much?

cool.

and i see that PS is in Banff and Huck is in Switzerland.

do Faction demo there regularly?

i'd like to get out Canadian way this season (beyond Whistler).

before i reach out to Faction, anybody know where they generally demo in Canada?

thanks again for the insight.

^^^^^
    faction's never demoed around here before.
    I'm guessing Powslut tried the reps pair. Sounds like the rep will be doing some travelling across Western Canada(big mountain comps, taking them to shops), not sure about specific 'Demo days' but will probably be carrying some extra pairs with him for people to try.

He lives in Fernie and Guides Hut there sounds like they will have some pairs on hand to demo.

Yeah, Ross was at Sunshine yesterday, is at Marmot today and will be in Whistler tomorrow. Picked them up off of him because he has no retailer in the Bow Valley yet. He is selling them at the Guides Hut in Fernie and also mention that one of the Intrawest owned retailers in Whistler will be carrying them. Suggested retail on them is $850 so it's no more than a Gotama. I have no idea where they will be demoed this year but if anyone is in Banff this winter and has close to a 28.5 boot size you're more than welcome to try mine.

Quote Originally Posted by powslut View Post
    In every condition except the ice they buttered through the turn with minimal effort allowing me to progress the laziness in my skiing style.
    That's funny as shit. I obviously need a pair. Or two.

the only thing about that review that concerns me is the progression of laziness.

i'm already a pretty frickin' lazy skier, dunno if i need skis to further accentuate that!