A-Basin Reserved Beach Spaces.

Watching Bif America one day I heard that it is now possible to reserve parking at A-Basin. It seems that for $100 dollars you can now reserve two parking spaces. It is presently only a small portion of the spaces available but I'm worried that if this is successful and a new way to make money that all the front row in the lower lot will soon become all reserved parking. Just interested in what others think about this development.

Since they've been doing it for a couple of years it doesn't bug me too much. Besides, I rarely if ever want to park on the beach anyway. No way would they be able to fill the front row for 100 a pop anyway. It is A-Baseweld not flail or Ass-pen afterall...
    "It is not the result that counts! It is not the result but the spirit! Not what - but how. Not what has been attained - but at what price.
    - A. Solzhenitsyn

For $100 you get two parking spots right on the beach, and a picnic table right next to your car. There are six (I think) roped -off spots to reserve (2 parking spots each). As far as I know, management has no plans to make the entire row paid parking. The only reason those spots are paid is for people who want to have big parties right there on the snow or park their boats or advertisement vehicles there and don't want to show up ass early for it. Honestly I don't think it will change, and it probably does make some money for the ski area to help them stay open later. I can't imagine they make a whole lot of money in the spring.

The thing that probably WILL change, maybe even next year, is that they are talking about not allowing camping in that lower lot anymore, because of the potential (however low or high) of the Professor sliding down and covering the lot like it did back in 86 or whenever that was. That might suck, because people have been camping there forever, but I do remember a time when I was camping there and I treated a guy whose friend decided to knife him in a drunken brawl... his jeans were completely soaked in blood, and he had a gash in his thigh about 4" long. Although not allowing camping down there would just make people take their drunken brawling elsewhere, so on that note it doesn't matter... it was just an interesting thing that I once observed. Anyways, rambling now, but I like A-Basin...hopefully we get some snow this weekend!
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

I think paying for a gravel lot spot stinks Utah doesn't charge, but when I went to jackson they wouldn't let me in the mud whole without $5. What was I paying for, my car to get really dirty?
    Wrecker of dreams.

Didn't professor take out Molly Hogan Lift in that slide?

I'm told a news crew filmed it.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Originally posted by sandytheskier
    when I went to jackson they wouldn't let me in the mud whole without $5. What was I paying for, my car to get really dirty?
    My understanding is that it was free if you carpool w/ 3 or more.
    Balls Deep in the 'Ho

Next year will be the first year of NO CAMPING at A-basin. Not just the lower lot, but the entire lot. I don't know about last chance lot, but aparantly people have been trashing the parking lot, and too many resources have been used to collect garbage. Plus the SCSO (summit county sheriffs office) has been called up for too many scuffles late at night. The resort has decided to not allow overnight use anymore.

I will try to find the SC daily article taht had this story.

Originally posted by SummitCo 1776

Yeah, and half-buried the rental shack as well. I saw the vid at the patrol refresher last year, it's pretty wild! Everyone is watching the slide come down the Prof, and cheering, and then you hear the "holy shit, oh god, holy shit!" as it comes rushing towards them, then the cameraman turns and runs, and it's all shaky with people running. At the end he turns back and the parking lot is under 15 feet of snow, and the bottom of molly hogan and the first lift pole were pretty much gone.

crazy shit, wish I could have seen it in person/hope I never see that in person.
    Not on here much anymore. Drop me an email if you want to contact me. Have a wonderful winter!

Originally posted by INDY GS
    Next year will be the first year of NO CAMPING at A-basin. Not just the lower lot, but the entire lot. I don't know about last chance lot, but aparantly people have been trashing the parking lot, and too many resources have been used to collect garbage. Plus the SCSO (summit county sheriffs office) has been called up for too many scuffles late at night. The resort has decided to not allow overnight use anymore.

I will try to find the SC daily article taht had this story.
    People Suck.

Summit, when did this happen, recently?
    When you gonna get dem' Duke Boys!?!?

Originally posted by wahama88

Summit, when did this happen, recently?
    When you gonna get dem' Duke Boys!?!?

Sea2, I'm sure you know Mt. Slow's been doing 'priority parking' for years. I never really cared because I basically always parked at Carinthia anyway, but it seems to be the wave of the future (Kmart has the same, I think).
    [quote][//quote]

Yeah, I know a lot of places in the east have priority parking. I think my concern is it always seems to start out as just a portion of the available spaces and within a couple of years all the close parking has suddenly become paid parking.

I was interested in if people in Colorado/A-Basin regulars think that this would happen at A-Basin. I mean while Stratton, Mt.Snow or Killington attract a skier who would pay for parking, I wouldn't say that I see this kind of thing happening at Magic or MRG because there is a different attitude.

damn.

As of April 13, the A-Basin parking lot is closed to overnight camping. damn. that was going to be home for a few weeks this spring. any suggestions on places to park and crash nearby?

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/new...421264275.shtm

I need to know as well, was gonna spend a few days up there in may, to prolong the winter.

Re: damn.

Originally posted by Lone Star
    As of April 13, the A-Basin parking lot is closed to overnight camping. damn. that was going to be home for a few weeks this spring. any suggestions on places to park and crash nearby?

http://www.firsttracksonline.com/new...421264275.shtm
    Uhm yeah, anywhere along the side of loveland pass, really nice pull out about 2 miles down from abasin. It is forestservice land and you will be fine for up to 14 days. Plenty of friends park there and are fine. Also there is a forest service campsite in montezuma about 8 miles from abasin.
    "Is it necessary to disdain the affluent Escalade driver in the ski area parking lot just because he never threw caution to the wind and gave up work, meat, and let his hair grow in the surreal international sojourn of powder skiing and self-actualiztion?"

WELL OF COURSE, thats why I am me and you aren't