Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 ... LastLast
    It was delicious...well worth the time wading through the blog to get to the recipe itself.

might have to try that.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Ho Lee Phuc, that looks tastey.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    It was delicious...well worth the time wading through the blog to get to the recipe itself.
    did you use regular ramen noodles from the grocery store? the noodles in the picture look thicker than what I can get

Wow that looks awesome, and relatively uncomplicated. I have a shoulder still in my freezer from a wild boar I shot last fall that I just may have to try this with.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    did you use regular ramen noodles from the grocery store? the noodles in the picture look thicker than what I can get
    The recipe calls for the actual ramen packet noodles, minus the sauce packets. I bought regular ramen noodles at the grocery store, which were a bit smaller and straight.

OK - thanx

As a word of caution, the soup did come out very salty, even with using all low or reduced sodium broth, soy sauce, etc. I probably wouldn't add fish sauce next time to see if that reduced the overall saltiness of it.

Wow, that recipe is making the rounds - seen it pop up in several places the last few days. Was it on Reddit or something? Might have to give it a try this Sunday.

I wouldn't omit the fish sauce. Better to reduce the amount of soy sauce - fish sauce adds a whole 'nother level of complexity compared to soy.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

It was on a Huff Post list of top crockpot recipes, republished by Food 52. And you may have seen it in your FB feed, being that we're FB friends and all.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
    It was on a Huff Post list of top crockpot recipes, republished by Food 52. And you may have seen it in your FB feed, being that we're FB friends and all.
    What cut of beef would work instead of the pork?

First recommendation would be short ribs, chuck roast would be a distant second.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What cut of beef would work instead of the pork?
    what, you don't dig on swine?

Any cheap cut of beef; don't waste your money on expensive stuff if it's going in the crock for 8 hours.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

or horse or dog

anything will work really

New crock. Last one, 6Q Crock Pot brand, was lacking 3 ways. Electronic controls, so if there was a power bump at any time in the day, it would shut off [bad]; high temps, the low setting was a low boil; and a bit big, leftover management was more work than cooking. Went with the Hamilton Beach 4Q, like $23 on Amazon. Click dial, reviews said it wasn't over-hot. Will take a little getting used to the smaller size, who knows may end up going to some oval one as well for chickens, or will just use cut.

First run is a basic pot roast, cut/seasoned tonight to cook off tomorrow...
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Been rocking a good carnitas recipe lately.

Boneless carnitas pork meat (pretty much loin) 3-5lbs maybe
    2 oranges juiced into crock
    1jalepeno
    1med onion quartered
    Couple cloves garlic
    All in crock including the orange rinds high for 5-6 hours 8-9 on low
    Remove meat shred
    Oil in frying pan some shredded meat and crisp it up a bit like good carnitas should be.
    Garnish as u wish. I usually do flour tortillas some cilantro salsa and some lime juice

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    New crock. Last one, 6Q Crock Pot brand, was lacking 3 ways. Electronic controls, so if there was a power bump at any time in the day, it would shut off [bad]; high temps, the low setting was a low boil; and a bit big, leftover management was more work than cooking. Went with the Hamilton Beach 4Q, like $23 on Amazon. Click dial, reviews said it wasn't over-hot. Will take a little getting used to the smaller size, who knows may end up going to some oval one as well for chickens, or will just use cut.

First run is a basic pot roast, cut/seasoned tonight to cook off tomorrow...
    You gotta pass my house on the way to work tomorrow if you need an unbiased tester of the pot roast!

I have a bunch of ribs in the crock today, double this recipe: http://backtoherroots.com/2011/10/19...arbecued-ribs/

Made it once before, it was delicious. The broiling step at the end is the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    what, you don't dig on swine?

Any cheap cut of beef; don't waste your money on expensive stuff if it's going in the crock for 8 hours.
    I like the flavor of pulled beef better than pulled pork. Neither one is bad. So I was wondering what cut of beef.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by telemike View Post
    or horse or dog

anything will work really
    True dat. There are some neighborhood cats that had better stop eyeing my chickens or they are going in the croc.
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I like the flavor of pulled beef better than pulled pork. Neither one is bad. So I was wondering what cut of beef.
    like I said, any cheap cut. Go to the store, look for large roasts, buy the cheapest one (per pound).

like I said, any cheap cut. Go to the store, look for large roasts, buy the cheapest one (per pound).
    That's the same logic that finds me making beef stew out of London Broil. 8)
    I see hydraulic turtles.

Consensus after some Google searches seems to be Beef Chuck for higher fat content. Best cooking directions for the right amount of juicy tender fall apart goodness?
    I see hydraulic turtles.

here's a recipe I made before that was good, calls for chuck roast, and has a crock pot variation: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/co...ed_onions.html

Caveat - no steaks or tenderloins. Steaks are for grilling, they get tough after a long cook. You want a roast, something with a lot of connective tissue like brisket, chuck roast, pork shoulder, etc.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey