Page 2 of 37 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by lemon boy View Post
    walnuts.
    LOLzzz!!!
    "I call it reveling in natures finest element. Water in its pristine form. Straight from the heavens. We bathe in it, rejoicing in the fullest." --BZ

crockpot < pressure cooker

Elk Roast Machaca

2-3 lb roast
    2 beef boyon cubes
    one onion sliced
    4 oz can of green chiles
    seasonings and seasonings

Cover w/ just enough water, put the ole Crockpot on low, simmer that shit for 10 hours. Eat'er up w/ some salsa/tortillas etc

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my crock pot. Pretty much everything that comes out of it is super tasty... one of my favorites...

The crock pot is awesome for ribs.. the melt right off the bone.

Peppery Asian Ribs.

3 1/2 lbs pork ribs
    6 green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
    2 tablespoons brown sugar
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon chili powder
    1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Crockpots are great for turning the knarliest piece of large mammal into something wonderful. The recipes provided earlier are making my mouth water.

At the risk of grossing out the squeamish, I present.....

Braised tongue

One cow tongue (or buffalo if you can find it) - they usually run 2-3 lbs
    small can tomato paste
    dried chiles with seeds removed - ancho, negra or pasilla - one pod will likely do it (depending on variety and your tolerance for heat)
    small can chopped green chiles
    one onion - rough chop
    brown sugar or honey to taste
    chopped garlic - I use about 1/4 cup
    Salt
    If you want veggies, add 1/2 -1 lb parsnips or carrots (whole is fine)
    beer - amber or porter - one bottle for cooking plus enough for personal consumption during prep time.

Toss everything but beer for personal consumption into crock pot - cook on low for about 10 hours. Remove tongue after at least five hours, let cool enough to handle, remove skin with small knife, and return to pot. This will help the meat absorb the broth more. No worries if you are away for the whole day - just skin the tongue and return to pot for at least an hour.

At 10 hours, taste broth and adjust sweetness/heat for personal preference. Let cook for another 30 minutes. If meat has fallen apart by this time (unlikely but sometimes happens) "pull" the meat like with smoked pork shoulder. Otherwise slice thin across the grain. Serve over rice.
    Last edited by TBS; 10-21-2007 at 02:33 PM.

Going to try a chili verde tomorrow, shopping tonight.

Any ideas?

Tomatillos, green chiles, jalapenos, green sauce, onions, chicken broth...

What cut of pork?

venison chili.
    вы все все равно скоро сдохнете

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    Going to try a chili verde tomorrow, shopping tonight.

Any ideas?

Tomatillos, green chiles, jalapenos, green sauce, onions, chicken broth...

What cut of pork?
    Get a pre-marinated pork loin from costco. Roast until done in oven. Seperate drippings. Add meat juices (not fat), chicken stock, tomatillas/verde sauce, fire roasted anaheims onions and jalapenos to crockpot. cut up loin and add.

When nearly done, make roue from fat and flour. Mix in cup of hot stock from pot. continue adding stock until smooth. Mix back into stockpot.

Try to use low salt stock as the costco loins are salty.

Takes two days, but makes the best verde ever. I'd give you my colorado recipe, but then I'd have to kill you.
    Living vicariously through myself.

Quote Originally Posted by FreakofSnow View Post
    Elk Roast Machaca

2-3 lb roast
    2 beef boyon cubes
    one onion sliced
    4 oz can of green chiles
    seasonings and seasonings
    That sounds pretty fucking good, but I have one suggestion. Instead of the bullion cubes, which are nothing but salt, get a can of beef consumme (like beef stock, but better) and use that instead. Better flavor, less salt.

I make essentially the same thing with pork shoulder all the time. I also use beer instead of water.

Best recipe:

One 4-5 lb. fetus
    3 ounces fresh cat urine
    1 cup of dog feces
    3 cans of beer.

Simmer for 12 hours.
    The meat is so tender...
    "You can't drink all day if you don't start in the morning".

-Scottish Proverb

Go buy this book. Mrs Tex swears by it...and I'm getting heavier by the day because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MrsTromano View Post
    I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my crock pot. Pretty much everything that comes out of it is super tasty... one of my favorites...

The crock pot is awesome for ribs.. the melt right off the bone.

Peppery Asian Ribs.

3 1/2 lbs pork ribs
    6 green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    on low for 8 hours? just chuck it all in?
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    crockpot < pressure cooker
    So true. I guess they went out of fashion or something. You can accomplish the same goals in much quicker time with a good old pressure cooker. Plus, you can saute and brown in the cooker prior to sealing it up.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague

I did a shoulder roast in ours last night. It was teh yum. I had a bunch of leftover hotdog buns from the prior day's sausage fest so I cut the finished roast thin, piled it on the toasted buns and served it with the au jus (maade from the cooking liquid) for dipping. Yum.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    So true. I guess they went out of fashion or something. You can accomplish the same goals in much quicker time with a good old pressure cooker. Plus, you can saute and brown in the cooker prior to sealing it up.
    part of the point of the crock pot is to allow the cooking to take a long time; doing it faster defeats the purpose. The crockpot allows you to cook while you go to work or go skiing.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    That sounds pretty fucking good, but I have one suggestion. Instead of the bullion cubes, which are nothing but salt, get a can of beef consumme (like beef stock, but better) and use that instead. Better flavor, less salt.

I make essentially the same thing with pork shoulder all the time. I also use beer instead of water.
    Sorry for being a JONG, but can you post the full recipe & cooking instructions for this?
    Yep, seen this before. Crazy liquor & cheeseburger party got out of control.

I don't use a recipe, but it goes like this:

Get anywhere between a 4 and 8 pound pork shoulder. It might be called a pork butt, same thing. I get boneless because I am lazy, but you can get bone in, too.

Turn your crockpot on low, add a large chopped onion, the pork (whole), whatever spices (I like to use chipotle peppers in adobo sauce), and a beer.

Cook for 8-9 hours, rotating if you are around and think about it. You'll know its done when you stick a fork in it and twist and the meat just falls apart. It should be easily shreddable with two forks. Take it out, pull out some of the obvious pieces of fat (or not). I like to eat it on buns with a vinegar based barbecue sauce, but it works equally well with mexican foods, etc.

This is a gross bastardization of the traditional smoked pork shoulder, the main difference is that this takes 5 minutes of prep and zero tending.

I'm stuck at work for a few more hours and you guys are killing me with all this food talk!

If you're cooking a large chunk of meat in liquid, and want gravy to go with it:

About an hour before you're going to eat, dissolve about 1/2-1 cup of flour or cornstarch in some water, and then stir it into the crock. Gravy should be good and thick by mealtime. Be sure to dissolve all of the flour before adding it in, otherwise you'll get lumps.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post

A little bit of beef consumme and

thanks for the tip, I'll hook it up when I'm at the store next. Did I mention that the twins have arrived?

3 lbs chuckroast
    1 box french onion soup
    1 garlic clove
    Bit of tabasco
    1 can of coke

mmmm....hot beef on buns

what brand crock pot does everybody use and how do you like them? I am torn between the 7 qt Kitchenaid and the All clad model. Ive heard bad reviews of some of the cheaper ones burning food... Thinking of buying one soon so I wouldn't mind some opinions.

This thread rules. The one and only time I've used my crock pot was to make refried peruano beans (mmmm...peruanos...). All I managed to do was stink up the house. It's the one kitchen item I never learned how to use growing up. Now I have instructions and recipes for this thing. Rad!
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    on low for 8 hours? just chuck it all in?
    Peppery Asian Ribs.

3 1/2 lbs pork ribs
    6 green onions, chopped
    1/4 cup molasses
    2 teaspoons lemon juice

Hmmm, Guess that would help.

** Place ribs in slow cooker, cutting as necessary to fit.

**in a small bowl combine green onion, soy sauce, molasses, hoisin sauce, brown sugar, vinegar, toasted sesame oil, lemon juice, hot pepper sauce, ginger, garlic powder, chili powder, ground red pepper, and ground black pepper. Pour sauce over ribs in cooker, turning to coat.

** Cover and cook for 8 hours on low or 4 hours on high.

** Strain sauce; skim off fat. Serve sauce over ribs and hot cooked rice.

Quote Originally Posted by couloirman View Post
    what brand crock pot does everybody use and how do you like them? I am torn between the 7 qt Kitchenaid and the All clad model. Ive heard bad reviews of some of the cheaper ones burning food... Thinking of buying one soon so I wouldn't mind some opinions.
    I don't want to kill the crock pot luv, but I prefer a heavy pot with lid- all clad, le crueset, etc, and the oven on 200.
    You can brown meats first, and reduce sauces on the stove top after, a little more versatile if you ask me.

BTW all the recipes sound pretty damn good. I want make the tongue this week.
    And my contribution,

4-5 pound pork shoulder
    med. onion
    salt & pepper
    olive oil
    1 cup apple cider
    1 cup chicken stock
    Rub shoulder w oil, then coat/press salt pepper and brown sugar over surface.
    Add cider and chopped onions around side of roast.
    cook uncovered for one hour and covered for 5-8

Pull meat apart,
    add remaining liquid onions and meat to pan and reduce.
    salt and pepper to taste.